Can Wasps Harm a Cat?

NorthernDuckNorthernDuck Posts: 100
Forum Member
I have noticed my cat chasing wasps around the house on a couple of occasions recently. I presume if she manages to sufficently annoy one (before mauiling it to death), she will get stung just as a human would.

How would this affect her? Would she need any special treatment?

Comments

• RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure but my girl is the same. We have bee's that visit our flowers every evening and she is determined to get her paws on one.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    They do find bees and wasps fascinating. Sadly, they do not see these insects as dangerous. Kittens are especially bad at not being able to distinguish good and bad insects.

They can be stung and like humans can swell up. This can cause choking if stung on the tongue.
  • Miss CheefMiss Cheef Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    I've been wondering this myself OP cos my cats are always chasing them round the house...suppose it's the only way they'll learn :rolleyes:
  • chiller15chiller15 Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think they'd do any lasting harm to a cat, but like others have said, if they were stung, it would swell up for a while.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    one of my cats managed to kill a wasp without getting stung, and then when she was walking off feeling chuffed with herself, she stood on it and it stung her and she let out a huge yelping noise.

the bottom of her paw was all swollen but it didnt seem to bother her much, she just licked it for a good half hour, it was fine the next day.
  • TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it stings the cat in the throat, the throat will swell up so I would discourage it if possible. Better to let the wasps out.
  • LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    My cats have all been stung by bees and wasps - on the face, chin, and foot. It happens to young cats and kittens mostly - they do usually learn when they get older (although my 8 yr old cat was stung on the face last month, so not always). It doesn't seem to bother them particularly, the swelling goes down within about 10 hours. I try to discourage them from bothering bees & wasps because it's clearly a bad idea, but I have no control when they do when I'm not around.

One of my cats used to 'catch' bumble bees and hold them in her mouth. She would have her mouth slightly open so you could see the bee buzzing away in there, while she made excited squealy noises. She did this regularly:eek: but fortunately never got stung. She obviously liked living dangerously.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cat was seriously ill a couple of years ago and my mum was convinced it was down to a bee sting, but i;m not sure.

He was once stung in the mouth by a wasp when he bit it, i took the sting out of his gums and he was fine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My other halfs cat was stung on her paw, it swelled up to about 5 times normal size and she hobbled on it for 24 hours, it just went down by itself and she was back to normal happy cat again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    I read on another forum of a poster who's cat died when she got a wasp in her mouth, I suppose her throat swelled and she had an allergic reaction. So...yes it can be really dangerous. I think it is safe to give a cat a small dose of anti-histamine such a piriton if ever a cat does get stung on a paw or somewhere out side the mouth....but please check with your vet before doing this!
  • LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    My vet told me to give my cat half a piriton when he had an allergic reaction to a medication (his paws swelled up) - it worked great.
  • Miriams SisterMiriams Sister Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    I read on another forum of a poster who's cat died when she got a wasp in her mouth, I suppose her throat swelled and she had an allergic reaction. So...yes it can be really dangerous. I think it is safe to give a cat a small dose of anti-histamine such a piriton if ever a cat does get stung on a paw or somewhere out side the mouth....but please check with your vet before doing this!

My neighbour's two-year old pretty kitty died after catching a a bee or wasp in her mouth and it stung her. :(
  • hobbeshobbes Posts: 6,149
    Forum Member
    My boys will spend hours stalking bees in the garden as well as flies, butterflies etc but they have never gone for a wasp. I assumed that they must recognise them as dangerous?
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,973
    Forum Member
    We think winnie may have been stung by a wasp yesterday, she was running about all over the place which she never does. Also, she was panting which isn't normal. We kept an eye on her, gave her more water, kept her out of the heat and she was fine a few hours later. The heat didn't help matters. She's fine today.
  • funkycubfunkycub Posts: 9,348
    Forum Member
    Raises eyes and sighs at this thread as once again Effie runs around the room after a huge wasp!!!

They will never learn will they, our mogs!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    My brother's cat, not quite a year old, is still chasing everything. She catches butterflies and plays with them, has brought two birds into the house but not killed them. Goes after flies, wasps...anything like that.

Several times after trying to swat wasps, she's waggled her leg and paw as if she's been stung but there's been no reaction that i can see. It must be something though
  • Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A few years ago my cat Pea caught a wasp (or bee ) it didnt end well, she got stung on her lip in a short time her lip was huge, she couldnt close her mouth and was obviously in a lot of pain and distress, she needed a jab of steroids and antihistamine and then more pills after those...if she hears an insect buzz now she runs in the opposite direction and hides.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss Cheef wrote: »
    I've been wondering this myself OP cos my cats are always chasing them round the house...suppose it's the only way they'll learn :rolleyes:

... Seriously?

They are animals reacting based on instinct, you are their owner. Take care of them and protect them from threats to their well being. That sort of "well, they'll learn" attitude is not responsibly ownership if you know better, want to save them distress, injury and save yourself some vets bills. "Oh well, let them wander into traffic, they'll learn after they've been maimed or killed by a car!" Seriously, take care of your pets, you have a duty of care to them.
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They can be stung in the mouth or throat causing it to swell and suffocate them, unusual but not impossible.

Why don't you play with your cats or buy them interactive toys rather than letting them maim anything that moves >:(
  • dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Holy thread revival! :o
  • spotty_catspotty_cat Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Normally they cope but can be stung which could be bad. If I see mine playing with one I will actively discourage to prevent harm.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Muze wrote: »
    They can be stung in the mouth or throat causing it to swell and suffocate them, unusual but not impossible.

Why don't you play with your cats or buy them interactive toys rather than letting them maim anything that moves >:(

This cat has umpteen toys - including purchased items and old shoe laces - and still chases insects. You can't replicate that for natural instinct.

She fetches hacky sacks like a dog would.