Options

What do you feed your cat?

Iggy's BoyIggy's Boy Posts: 3,321
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I thought I was treating my cat to high quality food by feeding her Purina but someone said that it was all full of cheap filler.

They buy something called Burns.

What do you buy?

Comments

• Options
    dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Natures menu and encore. (Wet) both 60% plus meat/fish content

James wellbeloved dry food, small handful for snack in the night.

Whiskas cat biscuits which get topped up when needed.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like that Burns stuff has a lot of rice and other carbs, not really suitable for cats imho.
    My cat gets dry purina pro plan optirenal for breakfast and a wet food pouch for dinner. She's very faddy about the wet food though and will avidly eat one brand for a while, and then turn her nose up at it!
    Webbox and Sainsbury's braised meat selection are her usual favourites. She'll also eat tinned tuna (in spring water) and cooked white fish.
  • Options
    MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine likes Royal Canin Pure Feline biscuits, the green ones, which apparently they've stopped making so I've got about 4 bags stored away!

For wet food (which he has a lot more of than dry) he gets mostly Applaws but he also likes Lily's Kitchen, Sheba Fusions, Gourmel Perle and Hi-Life, especially the chicken and brown rice one.
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Whatever is on offer. Plus the occasional can of Tuna or bits of ham

Same as i feed myself really :)
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have always used Science Plan.

Wet food makes her sick so she rarely has it.
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Whatever the fussy little madam will eat!

I spend more time scouring supermarket shelves for her than for myself!

She likes those Gourmet pate (little ring-pull tins) but they're a bit dear. (But she's worth it)!
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    Hills Science Natures best
  • Options
    rachpidrachpid Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    For the most part Feline Fayre in the black tins (60% meat) with a side of good quality biscuits. Occasionally give them other high meat food like Lily's Kitchen, Applaws, Encore and Sainsbury's posh stuff.
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever is on a deal, my cat isn't that fussy.

He usually gets a handful of biscuits in the morning (Either Whiskas or GoCat) that's about 6am or whatever time he wakes me up for breakfast

Then around 4-5pm I feed him a tin or packet of wet cat food. He seems to really like tinned Gourmet and it's often on a deal at Tescos.

In between depends on how hungry he is. I may give him a few extra biscuits or some tinned tuna or Dreamies to fill the time between breakfast and dinner.

He isn't fat and goes out a lot
  • Options
    Tess-gTess-g Posts: 29,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Royal Canin Fit 32 and he has one fillet of white fish for his supper everyday (Tesco value frozen range).

Nice and easy ;-)
  • Options
    radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have 6 cats & 4 kittens.
    They get mostly dry food which costs €18 for 25 kilos bought from an animal food store.
    Tinned or pasta [ for animals ] they have a few days a week.
    Sometimes they get sausage again made for animals.
  • Options
    queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hills Science Plan Oral Care and Hills Science Plan Hairball.

Both dry food.

For treats Dreamies.
  • Options
    Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My demanding little princess will only eat one thing, GoCat Tuna biscuits. She's a creature of habit is Bella, she has turned her nose up at every other food option presented to her since she was a tiny kitten. Though curiously, she'll eat a rogue chicken bone once a year, and every now and again, she'll treat herself to one of our chips. Oh and rich tea biscuits, she doesn't mind a nibble once in a while. Altogether she treats herself to human food about once a month, but put anything for cats down, even treats, and she will ignore it.
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zoo plus portia 21 grain free. £30 for a 10kg bag. Lasts months. 60+% meat.

http://m.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/dry_cat_food/porta_21/porta21_feline_finest/170885

And encore/applies went for one as it's all she'll touch. And natures menu/hi life pate for the other.

Burns is basically meat flavoured rice. Over expensive filler filled food. It's not bad in the sense it's full or crap r numbers and sugar etc. but for the price you can buy so much better.
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Tess-g wrote: »
    Royal Canin Fit 32 and he has one fillet of white fish for his supper everyday (Tesco value frozen range).

Nice and easy ;-)

I assume you have to cook that (white fish)?

I might try that. While ours eventually eats what we put down for her, she's clearly not that impressed.

I'd love to find something that she really enjoys.

I do treat her after a food-shop (from the reduced counter). Usually something pig-based, which she is particularly fond of (which I always consider a bit strange given a cat's hardly likely to have been able to prey on pig).

We had another cat (sadly died at 24 last year). She was completely different. She would eat practically anything. E.g. Marmite on toast!
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mice:o
  • Options
    abs2512abs2512 Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Coco has wet and dry cat food, but also has raw meat, she loves a bit of mince, loves prawns, turns her nose up at tuna fish, but loves chicken breast and steak. Obviously she only gets the fresh meat if it is something that we are having as a family meal but she is really really spoilt
  • Options
    miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have one very fussy eater [bengal cat] and one that will eat anything you throw at him [tom cat]. The fussy eater will generally only eat chicken and tuna Applaws [which is quite expensive!], but she will eat 'normal, human consumption' tuna which I feed her whenever I have a tuna sandwich. The tom cat will eat anything, but we generally feed him on whatever is on offer. The only thing he won't eat is beef [wet pouches]. As for biscuits, the bengal cat was bought up on Royal Canin kitten food, but since she's now an adult, we feed them both on Purina One, which they seem to love.
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abs2512 wrote: »
    My Coco has wet and dry cat food, but also has raw meat, she loves a bit of mince, loves prawns, turns her nose up at tuna fish, but loves chicken breast and steak. Obviously she only gets the fresh meat if it is something that we are having as a family meal but she is really really spoilt

Wish I could get mine to eat raw! I've tried everything but they won't touch it.

The dogs are raw fed and it would be so much cheaper to feed the cats it too but they just won't eat it. Little gits.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CRTHD wrote: »
    I assume you have to cook that (white fish)?

I might try that. While ours eventually eats what we put down for her, she's clearly not that impressed.

I'd love to find something that she really enjoys.

I do treat her after a food-shop (from the reduced counter). Usually something pig-based, which she is particularly fond of (which I always consider a bit strange given a cat's hardly likely to have been able to prey on pig).

We had another cat (sadly died at 24 last year). She was completely different. She would eat practically anything. E.g. Marmite on toast!
    Yes, I cook it in the microwave. It only takes a couple of minutes per fillet. Don't add anything as the ice will melt and keep it moist.

Sorry to hear about your other cat but at 24 the marmite obviously didn't do her any harm :D
  • Options
    Iggy's BoyIggy's Boy Posts: 3,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the replies guys! Some definite (cat) food for thought here.

I wi have to check out some of these online suppliers.

What my cat really seems to love though is cheap chicken roll, chopped up with a bit of hot water on it to make it warm and moist!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All mine (pets, rescues and garden colony) get a mix of a Royal Canin Kitten & Fit 32 dry kibble. They all seem to thrive on it. The occasional treat of wet food every few days goes down well too, but dry food in the main.
  • Options
    clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    My two have James Wellbeloved dry twice a day and a couple of pouches of either Feline Fayre or HiLife wet food between them
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Canagan dried for breakfast (chicken not fish as her royal fussiness won't eat the fish one). Third of a foil of Lily's kitchen kitten plus a teaspoon of Canagan wet (either one of the chicken or the tuna or prawn) for tea.

Not the Lily's from tesco which is not the same recipe.

All recommended by my cattery owner and got to say she is thriving on it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    orangebird wrote: »
    All mine (pets, rescues and garden colony) get a mix of a Royal Canin Kitten & Fit 32 dry kibble. They all seem to thrive on it. The occasional treat of wet food every few days goes down well too, but dry food in the main.
    Mine was raised on the Royal Canin kitten food too. Wet food...nooooooooooo :o:blush:

He's long haired and I'm never going to give wet food again.

If you've never had a long haired cat with loose bowels you haven't lived.

Warm bath....seriously freaked out cat......bathroom with shite everywhere. Not good :D