Options

When do Americans say 'trousers' rather than 'pants'?

2»

Comments

• Options
    pje1979pje1979 Posts: 5,647
    Forum Member
    lala wrote: »
    It seems that most of the world calls trousers.. pants..... In India, when they're talking in English, they always seem to refer to trousers as pants. I know in Australia, New Zealand and Canada they call them pants too.

Hmmm...... We are weird aren't we lol.... We also drive on the wrong side of the road lol.

Nah, they're the weird ones. English was invented......well in England :)
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    stvn758 wrote: »
    Give their fanny a squeeze, see what they say about that.:D
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    pje1979 wrote: »

I hate it when people try to correct me - don't talk to me about proper use of English, I am English :p

(I'm aware there are probably half a dozen errors in this post. English was never my strong point :D)
  • Options
    FlufanFlufan Posts: 2,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finky wrote: »
    I'm from Lancashire and it's only really there I've heard English people use 'pants' to mean 'trousers', seemingly in the rest of the country they use 'trousers' and call 'underwear' 'pants'. Alas, it's a habit I've picked up, so I could mean trousers or underwear depending on the context.

A southerner myself, I once stayed with an aunt-in-law-to-be in Manchester. In her seventies, she no doubt still thought of herself as being in Lancashire. I came back one day to be greeted with, "I went through your room and picked up several pants which I've washed for you - they were filthy!"

I was in a bit of a stew until I realised that it couldn't be just Americans who use "pants" to mean "trousers". (Then I got in another stew about her audacity in just "going through" my room while I was out... :mad:)
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    To us it does, but generally in American usage 'underwear' means knickers/pants, and if they mean a bra or a vest, then they say so.

But to an american Vest = Waistcoat :p
  • Options
    Carlos_dfcCarlos_dfc Posts: 8,262
    Forum Member
    ...When they are referring to a particular 'Wallace and Gromit' film?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pje1979 wrote: »
    Pants originally referred to a tight-fitting outer garment
    http://podictionary.com/?p=380

In America (and possibly elsewhere) pants preserved its meaning for an outer garment worn on the legs (just not so tight-fitting). At some point in England it came to mean a garment worn under the clothes.

So it seems once again the Americans were scrupulous and careful preservers of a word while the English went crazy, festooning the word with new meanings! :)
  • Options
    GratingCheeseGratingCheese Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    luke75b wrote: »

In America (and possibly elsewhere) pants preserved its meaning for an outer garment worn on the legs (just not so tight-fitting). At some point in England it came to mean a garment worn under the clothes.

So it seems once again the Americans were scrupulous and careful preservers of a word while the English went crazy, festooning the word with new meanings! :)

Don't tar us all with the same brush I refer to trousers as pants. Underwear is underpants, not pants.
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    STOP - Its a local dialect phenomenon that’s crept into mainstream!

'Pants' is the correct term... In the North of England I was brought up using the word 'pants' as the main description of what you normally have on (apart from Jenes). 'Trousers' was used when wearing either a suit or uniform.... I'm shure that is the correct old-school way.

A lot of friends and relatives also use the word that way too. 'Work pants' is another form of 'pants' too that has been around ages.

It was only recently when 'Pants' began to creep in as a description of something crap or bad. This seems to be used a lot more in the South. "That’s pants" or utter pants" - only heard it on TV and rarely hear it up ere!. Underpants is another term for Underwear not 'Pants'
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just remembered the word Pantaloon possibly where pants is derived from?
    During the French Revolution, the male citizens of France adopted a working-class costume including ankle-length trousers or pantaloons in place of the aristocratic knee-breeches. This style was introduced to England in the early 19th century, possibly by Beau Brummell, and supplanted breeches as fashionable street wear by mid-century. Breeches survived into the 1940s as the plus-fours or knickers worn for active sports and by young school-boys.
  • Options
    JoeyGambinoJoeyGambino Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do brits call pants trousers ?
  • Options
    Billy NomatesBilly Nomates Posts: 9,121
    Forum Member
    Trousers
    Origin:
    1585–95; trouse (var. of trews ) + (draw)ers
  • Options
    MartinJMartinJ Posts: 10,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Catpee wrote: »
    What do Americans call pants?

I mean in terms of underwear which we call pants, what do they say?

I've never called underwear pants :( and I've lived in the UK all my life.

Underpants yes, but pants are trousers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm from Lancashire and refer to trousers as pants.

If fact I find the whole conept of referring to underwear as pants slightly weird. I've always called them underpants (because lo and behold, they go under your pants).

Same here, from a Yorkshireman.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But the word trousers comes from the middle english word trouse - "Trews" is also a scottish word for trousers and also refers to the leg coverings worn by scotsmen.

So blame the Scots :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I always assumed that pants was an abreviation of pantaloons - which is just another word for trousers.

Knickers go under your trousers so are underpants.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't tar us all with the same brush I refer to trousers as pants. Underwear is underpants, not pants.
    I was just commenting on the fact that some of the posters were convinced their usage of pants to mean underpants was 'correct English'--when in fact the Americans (and apparently a good number of English) still use the original meaning. In fact it seems as though the pants=underpants people are the ones who've changed the meaning of the word.

I personally don't have any problem with the English language growing and changing and regional variations popping up--it makes it a richer language. However I am always amused when people assume their usage of the English language is somehow purer because of where they live--totally ignoring the fact that English as spoken in parts of England has in fact changed--and sometimes words and phrases spoken in America or Canada are more in keeping with traditional English.