What can an iPhone do that an S3 cant?

Comments

• Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Isnt icloud only 2gb? I kept running out of space on it. Bloody useless it was.

5GB, not 2GB.

That's only needed for documents, settings, photos, etc. Purchased apps, music, books, films, and TV programmes don't count towards the limit.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    springy wrote: »
    Also I must say, I get more Force Close from Apple. Apple are clever, the way applications crashes is that the apps just kicks you out, and it makes you think that you done something wrong. Android tells you something is wrong. That's why people think Android is buggy.

As I have said above, I tend to get more FC on apple devices, but I guess it probably be the same on both. Just the way it is handled from Apple is clever.

Apps certainly do crash on iPhone. People are stupid if they dont know that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    Thought ios had this now? or is it another of those "every os should do this but they don't"

iOS doesn't do this.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, apps can be set to auto update!?!?!????

ACE! :D
    Yes, but you might not want them to. Doodle jump had an update that most people hated. Then there's the permissions thing to keep an eye on (as mentioned by Paul earlier).
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Dark 1 wrote: »
    Yes, that is odd. What's also odd is that I've never heard of any iPhone 5 scratching just by looking at it. See what I did there? :D

Oh, I see. So no Android developer would ever put out a buggy update unlike iOS developers? I wasn't aware of that. :p

You seem to be unaware of quite a lot to be honest....
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    Actually that goes with the points i've put in the other thread anyway. A file browser and DLNA are things the iphone doesn't have which S3 does.

So the file browser can see network shares too? Its like moving into the modern networked home all over again!

We ought to start correcting mis-apprehensions - There are free apps that allow you browse files and move them around the iPhone / local network as well.
    Forum Member
    Voynich wrote: »
    Android has file browser apps that let you move files around your phone and the network. It's just like using windows with cut n paste etc. You can also install a uPnP app like Mediahouse and you can stream any movies, photos and music from your pc. Or your NAS if you don't even want to switch the pc on.

As can the iPhone - and has done since the iPhone 3g
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought ios had this now? or is it another of those "every os should do this but they don't"

It does it... via iTunes. If you turn on Automatic Downloads, when you download an app/song/book via iTunes on your computer, it will also download it to your iOS device(s) without needing to sync it with iTunes.

I don't sync any of my iOS devices anymore. I do use iTunes still, but just if I want to purchase a new app/whatever as you can go via Quidco for cashback. All my new stuff gets installed via Auto Downloads, while I use the App Store / iTunes apps on the devices themselves to download updates or re-download previous purchases.

Auto updates like Android has would be a definite improvement.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    We ought to start correcting mis-apprehensions - There are free apps that allow you browse files and move them around the iPhone / local network as well.

Tell me one then, and i'll download it now and try it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I use AirPlayer (UPnP media client) to stream from my computer (running PS3 Media Server). I used to use AirVideo, but that required you use its own server on your computer, instead of any UPnP media server.
  • scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    instead of the difference... what do you want from a phone?
    I've used both and don't really like either, its a touch screen thing.. my hands are too big ...

buy a cheap phone get a basic but adequate plan that does not cost much, don't worry about having access to the internet as its there when you get home on a computer..save your money and have a dam good holiday..
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »

50gb on Dropbox free with the S3.

Isnt icloud only 2gb? I kept running out of space on it. Bloody useless it was.

No 5gb (20gb if you were a Mobile Me user)

Nut with both of them they cost after a while. From £14 annually for iCloud - $9.99 for Dropbox per month.

I suppose it depends how much you need. Although - and I'm sure both phones can do this - I just remotely access either the computer / and or network drive. I tend to use Dropbox only if I want to share a large file with someone else.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So how do i copy files from my iPhone to a network share on my NAS?
    Forum Member
    Tell me one then, and i'll download it now and try it.

I suppose Back To My Mac is the most obvious one. But I have used (though not as easily) Dropzone or LogMeIn.

I've occasionally looked at Dropcopy but to be honest BTMM or LogMeIn suit my needs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose Back To My Mac is the most obvious one. But I have used (though not as easily) Dropzone or LogMeIn.

I've occasionally looked at Dropcopy but to be honest BTMM or LogMeIn suit my needs.

I asked about copying to my NAS like the S3 can do and you said.

I also dont have a Mac.

We need to sort out these mis-apprehensions.
  • m4tt24m4tt24 Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and 5gb free on google drive too

Google drive is available through ios. The 5 gb is the same for all OS drive works on.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member

I would love to see what apps allow all this apple would have them out of there pretty quick, which ones are they?
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scruffpot wrote: »
    I've used both and don't really like either, its a touch screen thing.. my hands are too big ...

buy a cheap phone get a basic but adequate plan that does not cost much, don't worry about having access to the internet as its there when you get home on a computer..save your money and have a dam good holiday..

That is a very good point you make. People seem to think that it is good that a phone does everything that is possible on a PC, others just want a quality phone that does everything well.

Neither iOS or Android have managed that yet. Both provide a very different experience yet people want to compare, it's a little weird.
    Forum Member
    I also dont have a Mac.

Unfortunate:)

But - partly - being locked into an ecosystem will be important to what you can do.

That I can do it is not an issue - the comment was that an S3 can do it whereas an iPhone can't.

Note - I l don't knock the Samsung (apart from one hot headed moment when I got really p*ssed of with people belittling my purchase decision) In fact it was a serious contender when I upgraded. I just would've lost too much useful (to me) functionality by changing to it.

The reverse is also true, to be honest, people who buy iPhones and don't have a Mac are missing out on some of the functionality of the iPhone.

I'm not going to knock the Android system because I don't have enough experience of it. But it looks a pretty good phone.

However - as people have said there are plenty of apps on the Google store that will satisfy pretty much everyones needs - but I can't access them as an iPhone user - and visa versa.

However Windows and Symbian I have had lots of (frustrating)experience with over the years. And like some people on here with Apple products - I wouldn't give them house room. Unless I just wanted a phone to make calls.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scruffpot wrote: »

Wow, forgive me for making such an evidence based logical decision when it comes to spending so much of my own money. I'd rather not just pick a phone that looks pretty. I dont wont to lose features that i will miss. I need to know all the features so i know if i'll miss something dont i?

As already demonstrated in this thread, people dont know all the features of both Android and iOS. I didn't realise Android did stuff, but others though was obvious. And iOS doesn't do stuff that some others though it would of as standard.

I have damn good holidays already thanks. But thanks for the concern. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunate:)

Its not. I use one at work, and i seriously evaluated it for home use, and very consciously avoided it.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I know. I was just answering the person who asked if the S3 could sync and stream wirelessly too.
    Forum Member
    A joke - hence the smiley.

Your point about operating systems is well made though.

Of course Apple are going to make a system that enables things to be done across equipment easily.

In fact, the die hard Apple fans, complain that there is too much integration between mobile and main operating system. Especially with the latest operating system for the Mac - saying it is being too IOSified.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    I would love to see what apps allow all this apple would have them out of there pretty quick, which ones are they?

Filebrowser lets you access network folders on Windows, OS X, Linux, and NAS drives.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/filebrowser-access-files-on/id364738545?mt=8

There's also FileExplorer.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/fileexplorer/id499470113?mt=8

Neither are free, though (the first is £2.99, the second is £1.99)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather open standards rather than a closed proprietry eco-system aswell. Its another reason for moving away from Apple for me, not towards it.