When to let out new rescue cat?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
Forum Member
My partner and I adopted a RSPCA cat on Friday night and I am wondering when would be the best time to let him out, especially with the fireworks starting soon.

He's settled in really well, already has the run of the house, very confident. He ate within half an hour of being here (was evening and hadn't been fed since morning) and has done his business no problem. Very friendly, follows us round the house and sits next to us. Watches telly as well!

He's currently sitting in the conservatory looking into the garden. I think he's a cat who will enjoy his time outside. We have a lot of cats around us, including a huge ginger tom in the house behind us. Our garden is often a war zone at night! So I think the quicker I get him out there the better, to let the other cats know he's around and before the fireworks start.

I was thinking 2 weeks? Or maybe 1 week and then a week of him in a harness investigating our garden solely. Then stick him out without a harness when he's hungry. Whenever i've had cats before it's been since they were kittens, so putting them out was just a natural thing that came up. This is an older adult cat who obviously doesn't know us yet.

Comments

• fancynancyfancynancy Posts: 7,991
    Forum Member
    My partner and I adopted a RSPCA cat on Friday night and I am wondering when would be the best time to let him out, especially with the fireworks starting soon.

He's settled in really well, already has the run of the house, very confident. He ate within half an hour of being here (was evening and hadn't been fed since morning) and has done his business no problem. Very friendly, follows us round the house and sits next to us. Watches telly as well!

He's currently sitting in the conservatory looking into the garden. I think he's a cat who will enjoy his time outside. We have a lot of cats around us, including a huge ginger tom in the house behind us. Our garden is often a war zone at night! So I think the quicker I get him out there the better, to let the other cats know he's around and before the fireworks start.

I was thinking 2 weeks? Or maybe 1 week and then a week of him in a harness investigating our garden solely. Then stick him out without a harness when he's hungry. Whenever i've had cats before it's been since they were kittens, so putting them out was just a natural thing that came up. This is an older adult cat who obviously doesn't know us yet.

I'd always play safe with rescue cats. I've had lots, and regardless of whether I think they're well settled, I've always kept them in for 2 weeks minimum (3 is better IMO) so that they're in no doubt that mia casa is well and truly home. One rescue I kept in for 6 weeks as he was such a scared little thing and it took him that long to trust me and develop some confidence.

After that I've taken them out into my garden and walked the boundaries with them, constantly talking and calling to them until they come back indoors with me. Your idea of a harness is a good one - it just depends on whether you think the cat would be distressed by being made to wear one. I've rescued a lot of feral and semi ferals, so a harness would have been a complete no no - but maybe your boy wouldn't be phased by it. Trust really is the issue, so just go with your gut feeling

It sounds like he's settling well. I'd be cautious though - as you rightly point out, firework season is nearly upon us, and many little fur balls need vigilance & protection at this time of year. :(:(

Good luck with him! :)

PS Don't be in too much of a rush to get him outdoors on account of the "locals". It'll have been stressful enough for him being rehomes, let alone having to fight for territory he's not absolutely sure is his before he's well and truly got his feet under your table.

I really would err on the side of caution. :)
  • The VixenThe Vixen Posts: 9,829
    Forum Member
    Rescue centre advised us six weeks so they know where they live and to let them out for the first time when they're hungry so they wont go far.

In the meantime make a big deal of shaking the biscuit box before putting their food down so they get used to the sound of the biscuits shaking and associate that wtih feed time.

You only need shake the box and they'll come running.

I'd check with the rescue centre for their advice but I'd imagine it would be longer than a couple of weeks.
  • fancynancyfancynancy Posts: 7,991
    Forum Member
    The Vixen wrote: »
    Rescue centre advised us six weeks so they know where they live and to let them out for the first time when they're hungry so they wont go far.

In the meantime make a big deal of shaking the biscuit box before putting their food down so they get used to the sound of the biscuits shaking and associate that wtih feed time.

You only need shake the box and they'll come running.

I'd check with the rescue centre for their advice but I'd imagine it would be longer than a couple of weeks.

I've always rapped the rim of their feeding bowl with a fork so it makes a "ting ting ting" sound to let them know it's feeding time - it's a sound that carries well in the great outdoors, accompanied by yelling their name at great volume! :D
  • missyaliciamissyalicia Posts: 2,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least 3 weeks and certainly not until the cat knows you well and is coming when you call his name.
  • MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,781
    Forum Member
    I started letting my rescue cats out on about day 3 :eek: I was aware of the advice from the rescue centres but they also told me I could judge for myself and do what I thought best. Both cats were so confident and friendly that they just seemed 'ready'. They only explored the immediate garden for the first 2-3 weeks and they were never unsupervised until both could master my cat flap and that took my little Lucy a good month. If I left it until both were responding to their names then I'd still be waiting, 4 months later,,,,,,,

I did the same when I took on my Bernard and he never left the house for more than about 15 minutes at a time.

However, I looked after my friend's cat for over 2 weeks and I made sure she never got out. It wasn't just that it wasn't my own cat so had to be more 'responsible' but she was a flighty little thing and I didn't trust her outside.

I think it depends on the cat and your cat appears to have a similar character to my 2 rescue cats who made themselves at home from the moment they arrived at my house. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    So either 3 days, 2-3 weeks or 6 weeks :D Think i'll keep it safe for 3 weeks, thanks all for advice :)