Options

Can anyone recommend me a good (recent) RPG for 360/PS3?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    I guess games that are story-focused and character driven. I found Skyrim hard to get into because of the lack of this (and cutscenes).
    Thanks for all the responses:)

In that case, I'll go with SilverCrown and say... MASS EFFECT.

Story-focused, excellent characters, and cutscenes.

ME3 is my game of the year, and the trilogy as a whole is one of my faves of this generation.
    Get the Mass Effect Trilogy.

Awesome games, and well worth the price IMO. :)

This.
  • Options
    WillbertWillbert Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Witcher 2 , though the combat can be a bit ropey.

Kingdoms of Amalur is fantastic.

Dragons Dogma is supposed to be good, but haven't had the chance to play any more than the demo.

Guild Wars 2 is great if you have a PC, though it's more of an MMO.

Divinity 2 is good.
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed blue dragon it reminded me somewhat of the final fantasy series.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got fallout 3 game of the year edition as a surprise present at christmas, i'm really enjoying it and i'd recommend it

But only get into if you accept random logic jumps, i've just been fighting raiders in a supermarket and for some bizarre (i'm sure someone has a reason by now) reason i'd shoot them in the head and they wouldn't die, infact it would do next to no damage, but then i shot to the foot using VATS takes half an enemies health

It's hard to tell if they intended this but i game where headshots aren't kills seems weird, i'm gonna stick with it though as the actual world i'm enjoying exploring it
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forgot about WKC 1 & 2! Fantastic games. Spent many hours on both of them.

I'm yet to play it but i will pick it up soon. I'm in need of a deep engrossing RPG, well until March.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fable 2/3 :)

It's a pretty linear rpg in terms of the character evolution but it's quite fun. Only problem is you say you want to sink your teeth into an rpg but there isn't enough content in any of the games (imo).
  • Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    I made a similar thread to this at some stage last year and Resonance of Fate and Star Ocean were thrown up to me. I got both and loved both.

So in turn, I would recommend these two.
  • Options
    HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    Got fallout 3 game of the year edition as a surprise present at christmas, i'm really enjoying it and i'd recommend it

But only get into if you accept random logic jumps, i've just been fighting raiders in a supermarket and for some bizarre (i'm sure someone has a reason by now) reason i'd shoot them in the head and they wouldn't die, infact it would do next to no damage, but then i shot to the foot using VATS takes half an enemies health

It's hard to tell if they intended this but i game where headshots aren't kills seems weird, i'm gonna stick with it though as the actual world i'm enjoying exploring it

What difficulty were you on, and what weapon were you using(and what was its state of repair?). also raiders sometimes wear protective head gear..which makes one kill head shots harder. It gets better though as the game progresss your weapons do more damage as you level up the skills(small guns , energy weapons etc!) and you aim gets better.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotelier wrote: »
    What difficulty were you on, and what weapon were you using(and what was its state of repair?). also raiders sometimes wear protective head gear..which makes one kill head shots harder. It gets better though as the game progresss your weapons do more damage as you level up the skills(small guns , energy weapons etc!) and you aim gets better.

I get all that and how it could effect things but for me if a bullet hits an enemy in the head with no protective gear then weather i am using a 9mm handgun or a RPG it should be a one shot kill

saying that though i started new vegas as well and that starts with the main character being shot in the head (but i'm enjoying it more) and the guns seem to be more effective in that and the game has ironsights :D

I might stick with new vegas for now
  • Options
    Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotelier wrote: »
    I disagree..I never found it boring at all..Its my fav game of all time..I still love playing it.
    Each to their own though etc etc...

My all time fave too. Multiple playthroughs and a total of more than 1300hours play time. (Still 300+ hours off my Oblivion gametime but with another playthrough underway it's only a matter of time). 5 great pieces of DLC too.

I get all that and how it could effect things but for me if a bullet hits an enemy in the head with no protective gear then weather i am using a 9mm handgun or a RPG it should be a one shot kill

saying that though i started new vegas as well and that starts with the main character being shot in the head (but i'm enjoying it more) and the guns seem to be more effective in that and the game has ironsights :D

I might stick with new vegas for now

New Vegas is really buggy though, even more so than F3/Oblivion/Skyrim. Think it has something to do with it being Obsidian. I had to start an entirely new character to be able to play the Dead Money DLC because the bunker refused to unlock.
    Don't get me wrong I love F:NV and the weapon modding was a great addition. But F3 is still better.

As for the one shot, one kill "rule"... It's a game. Getting shot anywhere on the body will have you stop and question the need for medical intervention, surely? And the "rule" would have to apply to you too. The amount of times you will get shot in Fallout is incalculable, odds are you will get shot in the head very often making gameplay irritating and unenjoyable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the one shot head kills are only possible on very easy near the start of the game.
    Silenced sniple rifle in new vegas is great(You can get it near the start of the game if you do the lonesome road dlc first. you dont have to complete the dlc as you can fast travel back any time)....stay hidden, shoot people, noone notices even if they are right next to the person you just shot, unlike fallout 3.
    Also in fallout 3 you level up faster(more xp) if you play on harder levels..In new vegas its the same progress no matter what level.(sorry if you already know this :) )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My all time fave too. Multiple playthroughs and a total of more than 1300hours play time. (Still 300+ hours off my Oblivion gametime but with another playthrough underway it's only a matter of time). 5 great pieces of DLC too.

New Vegas is really buggy though, even more so than F3/Oblivion/Skyrim. Think it has something to do with it being Obsidian. I had to start an entirely new character to be able to play the Dead Money DLC because the bunker refused to unlock.
    Don't get me wrong I love F:NV and the weapon modding was a great addition. But F3 is still better.

As for the one shot, one kill "rule"... It's a game. Getting shot anywhere on the body will have you stop and question the need for medical intervention, surely? And the "rule" would have to apply to you too. The amount of times you will get shot in Fallout is incalculable, odds are you will get shot in the head very often making gameplay irritating and unenjoyable.
    Yes...thats my only gripe(on Ps3) the lock ups, especially as the game progresses. I developed a habit of reloading the game every 30 mins or so..seems to help a lot.
  • Options
    Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skyrim was fine for me until the Dragonborn DLC, now the load screen times have double and even tripled, I almost power-cycled a couple of times on my recent jaunt to the North. And the noises in the inventory and quick select menu have disappeared. wtf?
  • Options
    2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Nemokins wrote: »
    Fable 2/3 :)

It's a pretty linear rpg in terms of the character evolution but it's quite fun. Only problem is you say you want to sink your teeth into an rpg but there isn't enough content in any of the games (imo).

I'll definitely second these if they count. They're not really true RPG's but nor are a lot of games being mentioned here. They don't offer a huge amount of depth and are quite easy to play, but if you haven't played Fable already and like more action orientated RPG's then Fable II (in particular) is am absolute must play.
  • Options
    Diceroll_81Diceroll_81 Posts: 904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The last one I bought for PS3 was Tales of Graces and I really liked it. It's quite a 'traditional' RPG in terms of gameplay (going from town to field to dungeon, fighting battles, looking for treasure etc) but the story is pretty compelling and the characters are interesting.

The battle system is great too. The only thing that might put some people off is that it can be a bit cutesy at times (if you don't like japanese RPGs).
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I ended up buying The Witcher 2 but have to say that I'm not impressed with it on first impressions.
    The graphics are really poor and look very ps2. The cutscenes are also very grainy and rough looking. This surprised me as I saw the graphics being praised in reviews.
    On top of that, the damn camera is really annoying and super sensitive. It is particularly a nightmare in a battle as it becomes a major battle in itself trying to keep the camera angles right:rolleyes:
    Did I mention the terrible lip synching and ghastly player models?!
    Granted that I've only been playing it for 30 minutes so far but it has been one big negative. I'll try and soldier on with it some more later.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just my experience but I recommend

Borderlands 1 (And 2)
    Dead Island (Get the GOTY Edition as the normal version at least on PS3 is broken)
    Far Cry 3
    Binary Domain (I guess this count as a kind of RPG because of all the upgrades etc you get at certain points)
  • Options
    OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch by Level 5 & Studio Ghibli was released today on the PS3 (exclusive) & is getting rave reviews. Not usually my kind of game but I downloaded the demo & will give it a go later.
  • Options
    OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    OMTT wrote: »
    Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch by Level 5 & Studio Ghibli was released today on the PS3 (exclusive) & is getting rave reviews. Not usually my kind of game but I downloaded the demo & will give it a go later.

Sorry, it's not out til 1st February! (Read some reviews this week so thought it was this Friday)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g5BE1Vw5B3M