Options

Lady Gaga - Where did it all go wrong ?

Comments

• Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, Amy Winehouse, Adele, arguably.

Also, I don't get the Perez Hilton T shirt thing, am I missing the joke/insult? Who is it?

The picture is Heath Ledger, the actor who died when he was like 30.
  • Options
    zohar100zohar100 Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    Well, Amy Winehouse, Adele, arguably.

Also, I don't get the Perez Hilton T shirt thing, am I missing the joke/insult? Who is it?

I think Amy only became an icon after her death though. Her last album was released in 2006. At the time of her death in 2011 she'd pretty much slipped from public view. I'd say Adele is successful, but I wouldn't call her an icon yet. She may reach that status in the future but she still has quite some way to go from what I can see.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just read this interview (done in the style of a conversation with the performance artist Marina Abramovic) in V magazine and imo it is incredibly telling of what we have in store in her next album, a lot of it is incredibly pretentious or completely unrelateable to the GP. E.g.
    Lady Gaga: I was so naive, in a good way. The art was—and still is—the thing that drives me, you know? Pop is sort of my medium, the medium that I’m good at. But art was always the thing that drove me forward in these challenging and painful circumstances. I would always have the wings of high art kind of flying high above my back, lifting me up, and I could feel no pain, because I could feel the adrenaline of the future, of my artistic experience, and that was more important. I had some sort of transcendental experience with art. And I was going to do anything for art at a young age.

http://gagadaily.com/index.php?showtopic=57505&page=1

During the born this way campaign she had a mantra around equal rights, self empowerment, anti bullying, anti homosexuality etc which she barely mentions in this fluff piece.

Furthermore she quotes some lyrics from artpop,
    Lady Gaga: “ARTPOP” is the song with the lyrics, especially I say, “a hybrid can withstand these things / my heart can beat with bricks and strings / my art pop could mean anything / we could belong together art pop.” It’s all about the strength of coming together and having an exchange with someone through an artistic process. And in this sense this artistic process can ultimately lead to a pop-tistic process.

A lot of the best pop music people can relate to their own emotions. E.g. Katy Perry's flirtatious sense of fun and Rihannas overt sexual power, this art pop pretentiousness is completely unrelateable and I worry this will be the thematic core of the artpop album :(
  • Options
    user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went off Perez after he started selling this t-shirt:

http://i.perezhilton.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/280195496771_1_1_1__oPt.jpg

What did Gaga expect would happen when she dumped him? At least the text was private before Gaga announced it to the world.
    Sharon Osbourne sent her a private email asking her to get her fans to tone it down when Kelly was getting death threats and "anti-bullying" Gaga responded in an open email passive aggressively defending her fans "who still had some learning to do" by basically saying that Kelly brought in on herself by being on the Fashion Police.

She also stood by and said nothing when Perez started a hate campaign against Christina Aguilera, claiming Christina was only a Gaga rip off :rolleyes:

She can hardly start pretending to be a naive victim now and be shocked at how Perez turns on people. There is a saying "if you lay with dogs, you will get fleas".
  • Options
    fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    It went wrong when she decided to tell everyone how original and unique she and her music is. She hyped up Born This Way far too much and when it eventually got released, it was just utter tripe, really.

Applause is horrific and sounds like a filler/demo track. Her fans went from saying Applause would be number 1 in the US within two hours, to it then being 6 hours, to it then being 8 hours, to it now being excuses as to why people aren't buying it. It's quite hilarious to watch. Her fans have a lot to do with it too, they are the worst fan group of any artist, you say you don't like something on twitter and are bombarded with death threats from these 'Little Monsters'.

Paparazzi, Poker Face, Just Dance, Telephone were all great, really catchy songs!

I think the problem is that Lady Gaga's style is too in your face now...earlier she still had that quirky style but it wasn't as if in everything she was doing it - it feels far too forced now!
  • Options
    SquatchSquatch Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When Gaga first became famous, her "eccentric fame-wh**e" act was very ironic and self-aware. It worked well with her great pop songs, which were popular precisely because they were pure, balls-to-the-wall pop records, no emotional/artistic BS. Around the time Bad Romance was released, I noticed that she had bought into her own hype, and was taking herself far too seriously. It didn't affect her popularity yet though - I think the public didn't know her well enough to be able to tell whether she was still being ironic or not. Also her shock-tactics where still getting her attention.

When BTW was released, the hype, arrogance and her pretty much announcing herself as a Messiah to LGBT's became too much. She needed a really bloody good song to carry off her boasts that it was going to change pop music, be a new anthem, blah blah. But BTW was a total embarrassment - trite, ignorant, with clunky lyrics and a total rip off of Express Yourself. Just in case we didn't work out exactly who "inspired" that song, gaga posed in the music video with Madonna's front tooth gap.

So then she released Judas, which she hoped would be "controversial". It wasn't, no one cared, so she rushed released the excellent The Edge Of Glory, which got over-shadowed by Judas and wasn't as big as it should have been.

She spent The Fame era being ironic and self-aware, and people liked her. She spent the Fame Monster insisting to the world that the whole Gaga shtick and costumes as her genuine personality. the world raised it's eyebrows, but let her get on with it. She spent Born This Way trying to be the Second Coming to all freaks and gays, preaching compassion while her own actions were anything but (plagiarism, subtle goading her fans into harassing people, arrogance, wearing fur when she said she hated it etc.). It just showed her up to be totally insincere and that this whole breed compassion BS was a mere marketing ploy.

Now, for the ARTPOP era she's trying to convince people she's a member of the elitist world of high-art, when in reality she's just another popstar. Her delusions and narcissism are so off-putting.

She's hyped up Applause nearly as much as BTW, but once again it's turned out to be an underwhelming release. Applause isn't the worst song I've ever heard, it's just mediocre. I find the lyrics clumsy and boastful, and the chorus forgettable (for some reason everyone likes the chorus but for me it's the worst part of the song). She also copies David Bowie's vocal style during the embarrassingly clunky verses.

Applause didn't "flop" per se, it just wasn't as successful as you'd expect for someone who was on top of the pop world only 3 years ago. It was very egotistical of her to rush it out to compete with Katy Perry, and, as they say, she got her ass handed to her.

It had seemed like she was going to rush release the hugely disjointed Aura (Burqa) next. Yet another second single - parts of which sound similar to Judas - that she expects to be controversial, which will just irritate the public and be a damp squib. However, it now looks like "Swine" will be rush-released instead, which we'll have to judge when she debuts it on the 1st of September.

When Katy Perry or Rihanna release sub-par singles, their popularity is usually enough to ensure that they have respectable chart success. So Gaga's narcissistic, ingenuine personality is surely a reason for her fall from the top.

However, I think the biggest reason is the discrepancy between her boasts and the actual quality of her music, which has dropped since her debut.

The Fame + Monster were good because she had RedOne firmly on board - his talent was instrumental to her initial success. For all her fibs about being responsible for "every note" of her music, RedOne has the primary or second writing credit on some of her best songs, such as Bad Romance. Back in 2009, many girls were criticised for copying "Gaga's" sound when in fact the record had been produced by RedOne. It was HIS sound. RedOne + Gaga was the magic formula. Basically, I don't think Gaga's as talented a pop-writer as she first seemed, and now it's starting to show. She's running out of ideas.

As someone learning to play the piano, I'm pretty shocked that people just believe Gaga's baseless claims that she's a good pianist. "Basic" would be a complimentary description of her skills. Anyone can slowly play a few chords, it doesn't require talent. I don't think she can even read music, based on the fact that she claimed to have taught herself to play (it shows!) and the fact that she would have probably bragged about herself if she could.

It's also surprising that everyone agrees with Gaga that she has the greatest voice of her generation. People just have low standards for vocals these days, due to her peers, including Rihanna, Katy Perry and Kesha, who are all known to be vocally limited. Gaga's voice is so thin and nasally to these ears. She sounds like her tongue is pressed against the back of her mouth.
  • Options
    konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Now down to #5 in the US (Jay Z just overtook her) and will almost certainly be #7 before the Weekend is out. Also now out of the Oz Top 10 (as predicted earlier, overtaken by Lana Del Rey).
  • Options
    NScotNScot Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    Now #6 US ITunes,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Squatch wrote: »
    When Gaga first became famous, her "eccentric fame-wh**e" act was very ironic and self-aware. It worked well with her great pop songs, which were popular precisely because they were pure, balls-to-the-wall pop records, no emotional/artistic BS. Around the time Bad Romance was released, I noticed that she had bought into her own hype, and was taking herself far too seriously. It didn't affect her popularity yet though - I think the public didn't know her well enough to be able to tell whether she was still being ironic or not. Also her shock-tactics where still getting her attention.

When BTW was released, the hype, arrogance and her pretty much announcing herself as a Messiah to LGBT's became too much. She needed a really bloody good song to carry off her boasts that it was going to change pop music, be a new anthem, blah blah. But BTW was a total embarrassment - trite, ignorant, with clunky lyrics and a total rip off of Express Yourself. Just in case we didn't work out exactly who "inspired" that song, gaga posed in the music video with Madonna's front tooth gap.

So then she released Judas, which she hoped would be "controversial". It wasn't, no one cared, so she rushed released the excellent The Edge Of Glory, which got over-shadowed by Judas and wasn't as big as it should have been.

She spent The Fame era being ironic and self-aware, and people liked her. She spent the Fame Monster insisting to the world that the whole Gaga shtick and costumes as her genuine personality. the world raised it's eyebrows, but let her get on with it. She spent Born This Way trying to be the Second Coming to all freaks and gays, preaching compassion while her own actions were anything but (plagiarism, subtle goading her fans into harassing people, arrogance, wearing fur when she said she hated it etc.). It just showed her up to be totally insincere and that this whole breed compassion BS was a mere marketing ploy.

Now, for the ARTPOP era she's trying to convince people she's a member of the elitist world of high-art, when in reality she's just another popstar. Her delusions and narcissism are so off-putting.

She's hyped up Applause nearly as much as BTW, but once again it's turned out to be an underwhelming release. Applause isn't the worst song I've ever heard, it's just mediocre. I find the lyrics clumsy and boastful, and the chorus forgettable (for some reason everyone likes the chorus but for me it's the worst part of the song). She also copies David Bowie's vocal style during the embarrassingly clunky verses.

Applause didn't "flop" per se, it just wasn't as successful as you'd expect for someone who was on top of the pop world only 3 years ago. It was very egotistical of her to rush it out to compete with Katy Perry, and, as they say, she got her ass handed to her.

It had seemed like she was going to rush release the hugely disjointed Aura (Burqa) next. Yet another second single - parts of which sound similar to Judas - that she expects to be controversial, which will just irritate the public and be a damp squib. However, it now looks like "Swine" will be rush-released instead, which we'll have to judge when she debuts it on the 1st of September.

When Katy Perry or Rihanna release sub-par singles, their popularity is usually enough to ensure that they have respectable chart success. So Gaga's narcissistic, ingenuine personality is surely a reason for her fall from the top.

However, I think the biggest reason is the discrepancy between her boasts and the actual quality of her music, which has dropped since her debut.

The Fame + Monster were good because she had RedOne firmly on board - his talent was instrumental to her initial success. For all her fibs about being responsible for "every note" of her music, RedOne has the primary or second writing credit on some of her best songs, such as Bad Romance. Back in 2009, many girls were criticised for copying "Gaga's" sound when in fact the record had been produced by RedOne. It was HIS sound. RedOne + Gaga was the magic formula. Basically, I don't think Gaga's as talented a pop-writer as she first seemed, and now it's starting to show. She's running out of ideas.

As someone learning to play the piano, I'm pretty shocked that people just believe Gaga's baseless claims that she's a good pianist. "Basic" would be a complimentary description of her skills. Anyone can slowly play a few chords, it doesn't require talent. I don't think she can even read music, based on the fact that she claimed to have taught herself to play (it shows!) and the fact that she would have probably bragged about herself if she could.

It's also surprising that everyone agrees with Gaga that she has the greatest voice of her generation. People just have low standards for vocals these days, due to her peers, including Rihanna, Katy Perry and Kesha, who are all known to be vocally limited. Gaga's voice is so thin and nasally to these ears. She sounds like her tongue is pressed against the back of her mouth.

Excellent, excellent post.

To be fair though, I think she's a decent pianist and no one has ever claimed that she has the voice of her generation (other than maybe herself.) That would just be delusional. Perhaps it has been claimed that she was the voice of a generation in the sense that her songs/lyrics spoke for a generation (though that is equally stupid.)
  • Options
    konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    I've always thought she was a decent pianist also (not up with Birdy but I suppose that's to do with her mother being a concert pianist and playing since the age of 3 lol!). Singing wise she definitely can sing but has become increasingly nasally (I couldn't speculate as to why this may be lol).
  • Options
    RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hubris.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Regarding this Perez situation; it always amazes me how people can be so bothered and get so worked up over things said between two people they don't know, haven't met and never will.

Not entirely sure how Gaga's personality or the way she looks can put you off her music, but if it's really a problem then I suggest unfollowing her twitter and to stop jumping on every article websites like this put up (if you know you're gonna be annoyed why read it?)

As a big fan of Gaga since she released her debut, I have never paid much attention to what she says/interviews etc etc, I just like her music and performances. I guess that's why I still like her and am still excited for her new album, unlike the many people who have gone off her, as told to me by the same people continuously on this thread who seem to sit at their screens updating iTunes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JakeM641 wrote: »
    Regarding this Perez situation; it always amazes me how people can be so bothered and get so worked up over things said between two people they don't know, haven't met and never will.

Not entirely sure how Gaga's personality or the way she looks can put you off her music, but if it's really a problem then I suggest unfollowing her twitter and to stop jumping on every article websites like this put up (if you know you're gonna be annoyed why read it?)

As a big fan of Gaga since she released her debut, I have never paid much attention to what she says/interviews etc etc, I just like her music and performances. I guess that's why I still like her and am still excited for her new album, unlike the many people who have gone off her, as told to me by the same people continuously on this thread who seem to sit at their screens updating iTunes.

So you like her and those who don't are sad obsessives? That seems to be the suggestion here. Ok, so I never read an interview or press release by Lady Gaga and never hear/see anything in the media about what she says or does. Instead I just download each of her records as they come out and notice that the quality of them is diminishing with every release. Is that enough reason for the public to have gone off her?
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When she said "Born This Way" will be the "greatest album of this decade" and it turned out to be a shitty mess apart from 1 or 2 songs.

Applause isn't great either. If anyone else released it, it would be panned.
  • Options
    Terry HesticlesTerry Hesticles Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    FMKK wrote: »

To be fair though, I think she's a decent pianist and no one has ever claimed that she has the voice of her generation (other than maybe herself.) That would just be delusional. Perhaps it has been claimed that she was the voice of a generation in the sense that her songs/lyrics spoke for a generation (though that is equally stupid.)

I also agree!
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The video might benefit the song tomorrow. We will have to see.

However looking at this from a record exec point of view they must be wondering wtf has happened.

Applause hasn't flopped by any means but its underperformed greatly by Gaga's own standards. That is how you have to view this. Its a return single so that makes it worse. You can't say people didn't know it was out. She has 40 million followers on Twitter.

Second single really needs to deliver now. The album will sell so she has no real worries there but I bet its sales aren't on par with BTW.
  • Options
    Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    FMKK wrote: »

I think she's a good pianist, but to be honest, from what I've seen of her live performances, I could play what she plays on the piano. It's not grade 8 stuff that she plays lol. And you only need to learn the chord progressions of the songs, then improvise within the chords, so for most of her songs it's possible that she only has to learn a sequence of 4 chords.

But what I do notice is that her record label have been going all out to get the point to the general public that she plays the piano. There's actually many other music stars that play the piano (even some rappers!) and nobody seems to know about it.
  • Options
    BobbyMcGeeBobbyMcGee Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    when she was really popular, bad romance etc i liked her music but still didnt like the 'costume' stunt things whilst claiming it was all about the music and was just art. i even seen an interview where she said "it annoys me when people focus on my weight, because they just focus on that and not my music". make of that what you will!

and then when these types of things were said

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/950212/lady-gaga-promises-greatest-album-of-this-decade-in-born-this-way

i really started to raise my eyebrow.
  • Options
    Rae_AmuryRae_Amury Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JakeM641 wrote: »

You don't have to pay attention to what she says. Her arrogance and pretentiousness shine through her music.
  • Options
    Barry_ClarkeBarry_Clarke Posts: 2,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Down to #7 on UK/US Charts. Katy Perry still reigning supreme
  • Options
    NScotNScot Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    These little monsters are bloody nuts, the amount of abuse people are getting at the moment on twitter is disgraceful.
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NScot wrote: »
    These little monsters are bloody nuts, the amount of abuse people are getting at the moment on twitter is disgraceful.

Poor Ellie Goudling hopefully they don't kick off i can alread envisage the comments :o

Not that she will care it seems she is abot to totally kick Gaga's arse :p
  • Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

that is nothing new and some of them are indeed disgraceful.:rolleyes: one of the people recently filmed in gaga's new lyric video merely suggested they wasn't told gaga would be filming that night, only to be branded "pathetic" by one of her monsters for not being a fan.:sleep:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This era hasn't even kicked in yet you are already saying she is a flop. Let discuss this after the era has ended. I like applause, it sounds really good.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I read that some of them even turned to prostitution in order to get Applause higher on iTunes and to win GaGa's twitter competition. :o