Options

£80m Jackpot

Comments

• Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    i would remain anonymous, would tell my girlfriend, my parents, a few of friends who i can trust and thats it, would donate a few million to charity, split the rest between , my parents and girlfriend and myself
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish I'd entered now but I Know if wouldnt ofwon. If I won I would build an entire replica of the castle from Beauty and the beast and get a tv series to make a documentary about me :D

It's next week, so you still have time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i would remain anonymous, would tell my girlfriend, my parents, a few of friends who i can trust and thats it, would donate a few million to charity, split the rest between , my parents and girlfriend and myself

It just never works. Everyone wants to remain anonymous but there are reasons why they advise you to go public. Because they are going to know anyway.
  • Options
    greendayfan6greendayfan6 Posts: 640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would drink dam fine wines and tip in £10 notes I would be such a hipster for sure.
  • Options
    Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never go public and create mayhem for all the idiots in my past whilst waiting for my Passport to get out of the country.
  • Options
    gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got my 2 tickets bitches!
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the papers would probably find out who you are anyway, I'll let you know what I've decided to do on Saturday :P
  • Options
    BinCatBinCat Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you win a big jackpot, say you gave your family and friends a big lump sum like a million pounds, do they have to pay tax on that?
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    An Australian lottery syndicate managed to rig the Australian lottery once. The jackpot was $20m and they worked out that a $5m spend would cover every possible combination, which they duly did and won the jackpot, netting a profit of I think $15m (I could be wrong on the numbers).

You could probably do that with Euromillions when it's really high.

Assuming it was $1 a ticket, is there even enough time available to physically purchase 5million tickets, either in person and/or online?

Doing the same with the Euromillions would not be possible as there are 116,531,800 combinations, so at £2 a ticket you'd invest £233M to win a slice of £80M.

So with that knowledge count me out of your syndicate :D
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80 millions is too much money

I agree. That's way too much for most people to handle.

4 or 5 million is a lot of money. It would be better if the money was spread around more. You could have 16 winners instead of 1 and more people would have their lives changed in a positve way.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^Yes, but if the jackpot was smaller smaller, fewer people would play, e.g the Health Lottery
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't go public though it would be rather hard to keep a low profile. £80m is way too much and a ludicrous amount but i'd dish out a fair slice to family, get rid of my house, then look for Hotel suites....one in UK and one in South of France or somewhere similar. I certainly would not buy a property. That's the first mistake every lottery winner makes.

But I need not worry anyway as I don't do the Lottery!

That would be the first thing I'd do:o So, just in case I do win why would it be a mistake?:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80 millions is too much money

If like me you believe that we have a moral duty to care for each other then 80 million is a truly obscene amount of money for one person to have (and there are people in this world with a lot more), if however you don't give a crap that there are people starving in this world then greed is a thing to indulge, sadly the latter seems to be the way humanity is going by and large.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An Australian lottery syndicate managed to rig the Australian lottery once. The jackpot was $20m and they worked out that a $5m spend would cover every possible combination, which they duly did and won the jackpot, netting a profit of I think $15m (I could be wrong on the numbers).

You could probably do that with Euromillions when it's really high.

How long did it take them to buy all the tickets?! :eek:

If I won big I'd look forward to getting lots of sleep. No more lying awake at night worrying about bills or the future.
  • Options
    Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,900
    Forum Member
    I don't have a ticket for this draw, but if I did win that kind of amount, something that would appeal to me is sponsoring a medical research student or two for a few years.

Don't know how practical that would be but I probably will never need to follow it through.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80 prizes of £1 million would get people much more excited I think.
  • Options
    Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,900
    Forum Member

Would be a bit galling if they ended up sharing the prize with four or more other winners and ended up making a loss.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    collit wrote: »
    I'd be feeling I was on a lucky streak so would buy 80 million scratchcards. :)

apropos of which, I saw a £10 scratchcard today. I was amazed. I thought they were £1 and maybe £2 occasionally.
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    80 prizes of £1 million would get people much more excited I think.
    They already do that with special Euromillions raffles, during special events and the new year.
  • Options
    Ramit BaudeepRamit Baudeep Posts: 442
    Forum Member
    aspijack wrote: »
    On Friday 22nd March Euromillions are having a special draw with a jackpot of a guaranteed £80m if you won what wi you do with it will you go public.

I wouldnt go public. Would just keep the news between friends and family

Would certainly emigrate to a country where the sun always shines. Perhaps OZ
  • Options
    kookiethekatkookiethekat Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would go public, because me and my husband have lots of family who have treated us really really badly in the past. I would LOVE to rub it in their faces (I know that makes me petty, I don't care, you have no idea what these people have done to us).

Spend wise, go travelling for as long as possible, hire a nanny/teacher to come with us so I don't get sent to prison for taking my kids out of school. Then decide where to live and buy a house and settle down.

Give money to the people in my life who it deserve it and donate a chunk to good causes (things like, prostetic limbs to kids who have lost them through injury/illness, pay for people to go to USA etc... for treatment for illnesses not treated in the UK). I wouldn't donate to "big" charities, I would make a massive difference to smaller ones
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HungerCult wrote: »
    If like me you believe that we have a moral duty to care for each other then 80 million is a truly obscene amount of money for one person to have (and there are people in this world with a lot more), if however you don't give a crap that there are people starving in this world then greed is a thing to indulge, sadly the latter seems to be the way humanity is going by and large.

Only if you intend to keep it all for yourself. I'd take great delight in giving most of it away to family, friends and charities.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've bought two lines so fingers crossed! I rarely do the lottery but I always buy a ticket when it's a big Euromillions jackpot.

It'd be amazing to never worry about money again. I'd pay off our credit cards, buy a house, and give money to our closest family and friends. I'd also donate a large amount to the neonatal unit at our local hospital, a place close to my heart, as well as to the charity Bliss.

I wouldn't go public. No-one round here would care if we moved and we can count our close friends and relatives on one hand so there'd be no need for a big reveal to the media.
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I win ..? methinks you mean WHEN I win !!

When I win I'll track down (but not in a creepy way) people who've helped me in the past and who I''ve lost contact with and given them a big dollop of cash along with such things as a soup makers, a bag of muffins, that board game where you have to fit tiny objects in their right slots before the things springs up and unslots them, a packet of playing cards, the complete set of Babylon 5 on BlueRay, a handmade tiedye t-shirt and a lifetime pet insurance pack - with the assurance that they don't let on who gave them the stuff and they don't track me down.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Assuming it was $1 a ticket, is there even enough time available to physically purchase 5million tickets, either in person and/or online?

Doing the same with the Euromillions would not be possible as there are 116,531,800 combinations, so at £2 a ticket you'd invest £233M to win a slice of £80M.

So with that knowledge count me out of your syndicate :D
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    How long did it take them to buy all the tickets?! :eek:

If I won big I'd look forward to getting lots of sleep. No more lying awake at night worrying about bills or the future.
    Smiley433 wrote: »
    Would be a bit galling if they ended up sharing the prize with four or more other winners and ended up making a loss.

Here's the original story. My mistake, it was the Virginia state lottery that was rigged by an Australian syndicate, not the Australian lottery, and the jackpot, which they won, was $27m. They bought 5 million of 7 million possible combinations, and were the only jackpot winner.

And in the end, they paid out, but not before they had changed the rules to ban block ticket sales.