Wet/dry electric razor recommendations

Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
Forum Member
I have wet shaved (Gillette /Wilkinson) for forty years. I do suffer sensitive skin and found that traditional dry electric razors left me with very sore razor burn. However the last time I tried one was probably 35 years ago and I assume things have improved since then.

Unfortunately I have had an operation on my neck which has left considerable nerve damage and have no sense of feeling on the right side of my neck and very little feeling on my right cheek. This makes shaving with a razor an interesting experience as I can't gauge pressure or angle anymore.

I have decided that electric shaving may be a solution given the modern electrics can be used wet or even with foam or gel so presume that they are better lubricated these days.

My question is what experience have you had with them. Is a foil better than rotary, is one brand better than another.

I'm not fussed about cost as I'll be using it daily for (hopefully) many years so quality is important. But most of all it must be comfortable to use. Equally I don't want to spend a fotune to find it doesn't get used

Can you offer advice please?

Thanks.

Comments

• pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't really offer any usage advice as I have always used a razor but I know I am getting an electric one for Christmas as a present. Will be interesting to see how it goes compared to razors. I know somewhere has a sale on them at the moment so if you do get some good advice and recommendations you can get one for a good price if you're quick. :)
  • SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can recommend a Braun foil shaver but provided it's used with a good electric pre-shave lotion like this one available in Boots http://www.labseries.co.uk/product/4948/4706/GET-STARTED-WITH-LAB/Problem-Solvers/Shaving-Problems/Electric-Shave-Solution/index.tmpl
    There are cheaper alternatives but they're hard to find.
    The Lab Series one is expensive but lasts months and makes a massive difference to the quality of the shave and the time it takes.
    I wouldn't take notice of complaints about electric razors if they're used without a pre-shave.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I gave up razor blades in the mid 70s and for most of the time since have been using various Phillips models

http://www.philips.co.uk/c/mens-shaving/18672/cat/?origin=|mckv|sWcQsmi0x_dc&pcrid=24242836974|plid|

Never used a wet version though. I really have no idea what this "Razor Burn" people mention in connection with electric shavers is as I have never experienced it.

Provided you clean out the shaver heads regularly they should work for years. Though when the cutters do eventually wear out you'll need a paramedic on hand to resuscitate you when you find out how stupidily expensive replacements are :D Cheaper to throw it away and buy a new one (almost!)
  • michael37michael37 Posts: 2,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electric shavers take a little getting used to, so no matter what you try it will irritate the skin for a couple of weeks. The trick is to persevere until the skin settles down.

Another thing to remember is that foil shavers (eg Braun) need the foils replaced on a regular basis and the blades too less frequently. Not doing so will cause irritation as the blunt.

The rotary shavers (eg Phillips) are self sharpening and only need the heads changes every few years, but they don;t shave a close (though the newer models are much better on that front).
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the advice so far. I was initially drawn to the Philips as a friend had one that dispensed balm at the same time. These are not as easy to get anymore so started to read up on them.

That's when the confusion started and was hovering between a Philips Cooltek or a Braun Series 5 that could be used with shaving gel (I do like King of a Shaves gel having used it for years)

I was leaning towards the Braun but didn't realise that the rotary blades were self sharpening on the Philips and therefore must have lower running costs.

So still havering. Thanks for the input so far.
  • Phil DoddPhil Dodd Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All good advice that you've been given, with some good makes mentioned.

It is important to make sure that you can get spare parts. I have always patronised Boots, because the larger branches carry spares for the most recent models. Secondly, Boots have a website that lets you order the replacement part to be sent either to your home address, or to the branch of Boots that you choose. This latter arrangement is ideal if you travel to work leaving the house empty so can't get the item delivered, but can pop into a Boots near to your workplace.

I've always used Boots foil shavers, as the parts have been kept the same for many years, and they are low priced. The downside with Boots shavers is that they are on the large size as compared to the other brands that have been mentioned.

As others have said, once you get used to electric shaving, then it is a satisfactory way of doing it. Electric shavers come with sideburn trimmers and cleaning brushes. I couple the cleaning with going to a window and cleaning off the debris with the brush. A lot of it is dead skin rather than cut hairs.

A final tip is this time of year, whether you are wet or dry shaving, before going out to cold air and then into a warm workplace, put on some moisturiser or face cream to keep the face and the hands supple and to stop the skin from drying out and splitting. This is after shaving, washing, cleaning the teeth etc - last thing before setting out.
  • CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't use an electric shaver but what I'd say, no matter what, is check how much your replacement blades will be. An electric shaver is not a one-off buy it and that's it cost, you will always have replacement blades. The last Philips razor I tried seemed a bargain, reduced from £100 to £50, triple heads. Worked great for a few months but then didn't cut so well, so I looked at new blades - over £40 for a set.
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    All great advice. Thank you. Taking these comments on board I researched the Braun Series 5 and the Philips sensor. As part of this the general consensus was that foils can be kinder than rotary (though require more maintenance). Although there was one site that recommended both - ie having two - one for the face ans a different one for the neck.

I also stumbled across a Panasonic that got very good reviews. (ESLV65). I am drawn to the type that can be used with foam / gel as it would seem to be better lubricated when dragging across the skin.

If there are any experiences of any of these models it would be a useful pointer.

I rather glibly said cost would not be an object - I wasn't expecting £300 (though most are being done for 40 - 60% off)

But I think it may help my problem ( no feeling in the right hand side of my face and neck) as I'm now shaving as little as possible as my neck does look sore, red and in one case blistered after "regular" shaving as I can't gauge pressure.

It feels weird and slightly embarrassing asking for such basic advice after shaving for so many years, so I'm pleased for the anonymity of DS and grateful to all of you for your input.