The DS Eurovision General Discussion Thread (Part 57)

Comments

• Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,857
    Forum Member
    brb wrote: »
    It's just been announced today that Azerbaijan will use The Voice to select their Turkvision representative. I wish the BBC would do this - especially since it seems that The Voice rights holders obviously don't mind the show being used this way. At least we'd be guaranteed someone who could actually sing that way, and the BBC could select the song internally. It would be win:win for people who want NFs for the UK back... although I hate The Voice UK format.

You'd be at risk of shoe horning a song on an unsuitable artist though imo, and The Voice (as much as I enjoy the show) tends to produce quite bland winners, and it is a song contest at the end of the day. I'm happy with keeping the BBC Introducing idea with having Songwriter and Artist being Cohesive and fresh
  • Jem CasperJem Casper Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    I f*cking hate Azerbaijan. All they do is cheat.
  • Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jem Casper wrote: »
    I f*cking hate Azerbaijan. All they do is cheat.
    Take a deep breath Jem, and let the peace enlighten your feelings.
  • Jem CasperJem Casper Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    Pandora. wrote: »
    Take a deep breath Jem, and let the peace enlighten your feelings.

Stop dreaming out loud.
  • NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sun will rise and the light will be clearing, or is it gleaming? I honestly have no idea what she says because it sounds like she's singing with a mouthful of wine gums.
  • gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know when the Valentina movie documenting her inspiring struggle of stardom will be released? I hear it will be the biggest San Marinese film of the year.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conchita will be having lunch with Bill Clinton at Life Ball 2014 :o!
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    If we used the Voice UK we'd have had Leanne (Bottom Half), Andrea (it doesn't even bear thinking about) and Jermaine (fab voice but so unsuitable for Eurovison), it just seems British voters can't be trusted to vote for anything relevant.
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about if they did a Eurovision week on the week before the deadline where the remaining acts get songs maybe even some can be paired up and the winner goes to Eurovision in a completely separate vote from the main show.
  • Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,275
    Forum Member
    The only good thing about The Voice UK was Kylie, I think most of our Eurovision entrants have lit up the charts more than those on The Voice! :D

I'd rather we just let Guy keep working and expanding on this BBC Introducing path and maybe at some point when The Voice is cancelled, utilise that dead air with a National Final combined with BBC Introducing to weed out all the dross first and make sure the GBP don't make daft decisions.
  • FiercelyHipFiercelyHip Posts: 3,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lisa.B wrote: »
    The only good thing about The Voice UK was Kylie, I think most of our Eurovision entrants have lit up the charts more than those on The Voice! :D

I'd rather we just let Guy keep working and expanding on this BBC Introducing path and maybe at some point when The Voice is cancelled, utilise that dead air with a National Final combined with BBC Introducing to weed out all the dross first and make sure the GBP don't make daft decisions.

That is the dream scenario pour moi.

Don't want anything to do with The Voice tbh.
  • steeleuro_wolfsteeleuro_wolf Posts: 13,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My problem with The Voice as a format is its insistence that it's "all about the voice" which is just total bollocks and one of two reasons why none of the contestants are ever heard from again (the other being that it's an awful show which nobody watches anyway). Using it to select our eurovision entrant would be a massive step back imo. I think Guy Freeman has the right idea with the BBC Introducing strategy, sure it may not have worked this year but there's no reason it couldn't be a success if we keep trying.
  • FiercelyHipFiercelyHip Posts: 3,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My problem with The Voice as a format is its insistence that it's "all about the voice" which is just total bollocks and one of two reasons why none of the contestants are ever heard from again (the other being that it's an awful show which nobody watches anyway). Using it to select our eurovision entrant would be a massive step back imo. I think Guy Freeman has the right idea with the BBC Introducing strategy, sure it may not have worked this year but there's no reason it couldn't be a success if we keep trying.

I kind of hate the notion that it didn't work this year. It DID work in the sense that it was rewarded with an improved placing on the previous two years, got a British entry getting far more airplay than the other entrants had previously got, a striving artist managed to get into the charts around Europe, signed an album deal and a new fan base. And for the BBC, it achieved huge ratings.

I feared when Molly came the position she did, but from my perspective, there's not the sense of 'it all went wrong, it didn't work.' but more a, 'it might not have done as well as it should have but we're onto something here'.

It's less it didn't work, but more we didn't get it fully right this year. Semantics I know, but I see the positivity in the whole thing because I think 2014 did a whole lot of good for the UK approach in general. :)
  • Steven_PSteven_P Posts: 12,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I kind of hate the notion that it didn't work this year. It DID work in the sense that it was rewarded with an improved placing on the previous two years, got a British entry getting far more airplay than the other entrants had previously got, a striving artist managed to get into the charts around Europe, signed an album deal and a new fan base. And for the BBC, it achieved huge ratings.

I feared when Molly came the position she did, but from my perspective, there's not the sense of 'it all went wrong, it didn't work.' but more a, 'it might not have done as well as it should have but we're onto something here'.

It's less it didn't work, but more we didn't get it fully right this year. Semantics I know, but I see the positivity in the whole thing because I think 2014 did a whole lot of good for the UK approach in general. :)

Completely agree. I'm sad Molly didn't do as well as she should have done, but I don't think it was anything wrong with the strategy in selecting the song, or the song for that matter. Being put last on the night I think was the biggest reason for the low marks. I really hope the same idea is used next year, provided that someone just as good as Molly is willing to do it.
  • ESC RossESC Ross Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steven_P wrote: »
    Completely agree. I'm sad Molly didn't do as well as she should have done, but I don't think it was anything wrong with the strategy in selecting the song, or the song for that matter. Being put last on the night I think was the biggest reason for the low marks. I really hope the same idea is used next year, provided that someone just as good as Molly is willing to do it.

I also agree, this year has been a very successful year, despite Molly's result. :D

The issue was the performance on the night, it wasn't as good as the reveal performance, and had little impact on the night. Very underwhelming performance, to be honest. The camera angles were not great either :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ESC Ross wrote: »
    I also agree, this year has been a very successful year, despite Molly's result. :D

The issue was the performance on the night, it wasn't as good as the reveal performance, and had little impact on the night. Very underwhelming performance, to be honest. The camera angles were not great either :(

Yep, I pretty much expected us to do badly immediately after Molly finished singing, so as disappointing as 17th place was it didn't take me by surprise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ESC Ross wrote: »

*gonna be controversial* but, I think that actually everything except the singer was off throughout the process. The song was good, sure. Won't deny that. But songs about us all being connected, and "Children of the universe" is a very 90s thing. A trend that was worn out a decade and a half ago - perhaps even longer. Still, as testament to Molly, the reveal performance was great (albeit it being several performances cut into on).

From the beginning the BBC didn't handle Molly or the song correctly. Molly wasn't trained on camera from the beginning - some may say this added to her charm in interviews, but I'd disagree. I think sometimes she may of came across as slightly ignorant.. now, I know this wasn't the case and it was just that Molly was nervous and had never been in situations like this before, but not everyone has as much information as us. Because of her lack of camera training, her performance on the night fell flat. Then you have the costume... how she wasn't up for the Barbara Dex award is frankly amazing! and then the staging! That is the biggest disappointed for me. The entire thing was just very dated. Every performance we saw of the song just went backwards... The version on the CD is like an entirely different song compared to what we heard on the reveal.

Dated is actually the word I'd use to describe the entire thing (apart from the reveal performance).

I know it's easy to say this on hindsight, but I'm still happy with the song we sent this year. Just a shame that we were the "fankwank" that we were so adamant Sweden was going to be. On the bright side, though, Eurovision has started Molly's career and there is still hype around her. People are still tweeting her all the time, for example, so I think she'll do well when her album launches - which at least goes a long way to dispel the "Eurovision ends careers" rumours.

Oh wells. Onwards to next year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very interesting article about the day jobs of Eurovision stars. :)

http://wiwibloggs.com/2014/05/30/day-jobs-eurovision-stars/51564/#
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ha, Suzy has the perfect job for her! Going on a flight with Suzy would be AMAZING! And Sebalter a lawyer... I think I need to go and get myself arrested in Swizterland! Chiara's is slightly off though. She was actually a hotel receptionist. I guess the jobs are similar, though... but she now works full time as a singer.
  • AxGAxG Posts: 25,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Walked into Asda Living, guess what was playing. Yep Calm After The Storm.
  • kobiashimaruxkobiashimarux Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    brb wrote: »
    Conchita will be having lunch with Bill Clinton at Life Ball 2014 :o!

LOL Expect him to sport a black beard really soon.
  • Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't help but sing along to That Sounds Good To Me. I've gone past the point of being mad at Waterman (for now...), it's just a cheesy fun tune now. :blush:

But it should NEVER have been our entry! :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So interesting. I always imagine other countries entries to be full time musicians and famous in their countries.
    Forum Member
    rosetta12 wrote: »
    So apparently Conchita is to blame for the Balkan floods :o

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/05/22/church-patriarch-god-sent-balkan-floods-because-conchita-wurst-is-too-wild/

Sorry if this has been posted already - I was already on my 'summer break' from Eurovision ;), but this is just beyond belief... (There was an article about that in the YLE news, with a link to that site above.) Gosh...

Nuts isn't it, weird stupid moronic stoneage mentality. Its why I avoid all religion
    Forum Member
    >:(
    rosetta12 wrote: »
    So apparently Conchita is to blame for the Balkan floods :o

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/05/22/church-patriarch-god-sent-balkan-floods-because-conchita-wurst-is-too-wild/

Sorry if this has been posted already - I was already on my 'summer break' from Eurovision ;), but this is just beyond belief... (There was an article about that in the YLE news, with a link to that site above.) Gosh...

Nuts isn't it, weird stupid moronic stoneage mentality. Its why I avoid all religion>:(:p
This discussion has been closed.