Options

just been stung £13 custom charge on a £22 amazon order!!!

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What the hell was the OP buying to warrant £13??!! I think silk road may be involved
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had a book sent (supposedly exempt from charges) but the sender had ticked "merchandise" on the customs declaration so I got hit with charges.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never Nude wrote: »
    What the hell was the OP buying to warrant £13??!! I think silk road may be involved
    Post Office charge £8 handling fee + 20% VAT.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    I had a book sent (supposedly exempt from charges) but the sender had ticked "merchandise" on the customs declaration so I got hit with charges.

You can get the customs portion refunded if you send proof (invoice etc). Good luck getting the gouging, exorbitant RM £8 back though. Once upon a time the admin fee was less than £2 and practically everything got through but now there`s more incentive for them very few do unless they`re routed via Europe with no clear visible indication they started out from the States.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member
    mizhog wrote: »
    i complained to Amazon saying i wanted to return and not pay the charge and they just sent me this. theyre so great lol, better than nothing...
    I'm sorry for any misunderstanding.

I've checked into your order and see that we've not charged you anything for the customs charge.

For your reference I've given the order charge details below :

Order Total:
    Subtotal: USD 27.98
    Shipping & Handling: USD 8.97

Order Total: USD 36.95

However to make the things right for you, I've requested a refund for the shipping cost of $8.97 to your Credit Card .

You'll see the refund on your credit card statement in the next 2-3 business days.

Probably cheaper for Amazon to just refund a fiver and a bit than argue the toss with you! But... the Post Office demons will still get their 8 pounds of flesh when you collect the package or it's delivered... and will keep on doing it.

Amazon should really add a paragraph on their Help page about foreign orders, to mention the Post Office ripoff fee specifically, it might save them this kind of hassle that isn't their fault..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Amazon should really add a paragraph on their Help page about foreign orders, to mention the Post Office ripoff fee specifically, it might save them this kind of hassle that isn't their fault..

There`s a disclaimer during the checkout process regarding customs fees and duties.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    There`s a disclaimer during the checkout process regarding customs fees and duties.

On the help pages though it's non-specific and the post office fee is neither of the above so it should be mentioned as an importation handling charge additional to duty and VAT. Does the checkout warning mention the post office fees specifically? That might save Amazon feeling obliged to do refunds as in this case.

Not that I am defending people who don't read up on the rules for themselves before importing stuff, as it's all googleable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    I know, but it's non-specific and the post office fee is neither of the above so it should be mentioned as an importation handling charge additional to duty and VAT. It might save Amazon having to do refunds as in this case, which is the point.

But Amazon didn`t have to do a refund in this case. After-the-fact fees are nothing to do with them so the OP got lucky with a courtesy gesture.

How can Amazon be expected to keep up with all the different global permutations of charges levied by the destination country? A generic warning is enough and puts the onus to check where it should be - On the buyer. Amazon are a business and there`s a fine-line between posting sensible warnings at checkout and scaring people off from buying altogether. I`ve ordered from the US hundreds (perhaps 1000+) times by now and I`ve had far more come through without any charge than have been caught - Something like 90% vs 10%.

The RM charge is a disgrace though. The customs department in Mount Pleasant London is located just upstairs from RM so they basically just hand everything up to them and make a bloody fortune off all the inflated £8 fees. We`re essentially paying RM to grass ourselves up to customs!!
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your item is out for delivery in DUBLIN, OH 43016

This is what the tracking on my item says, shame I'm several thousand miles away. :o

It said two weeks special order for what I ordered so I'm thinking it's being delivered to the company then redirected to me here, but I'm confused to say the least.
  • Options
    Stormwave UKStormwave UK Posts: 5,088
    Forum Member
    It's annoying sometimes. I often buy US electronics as they are normally considerably cheaper, but by the time you add all the charges in, it often works out around the same,

I only buy games from the US online nowadays, as I can buy them digitally and they are considerably cheaper in the US than they are to buy here, and I don't have to pay the stupid import charges. ($60 is around £30, the games in the UK cost £50)
  • Options
    The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So do you only ever have to pay customs charges if you buy something over £15?

I've often wanted to buy things from Japan but have been too scared that it'll get here and I'll have to pay extra in customs charges.
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's unfair to charge duties on items that are not available in this country, I expect VAT to be levied but I refuse to be ripped off buying some overpriced crap in this country when I can get a decent product from the US.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So do you only ever have to pay customs charges if you buy something over £15?

Below £15 is exempt. Above that it`s a roll of the dice. I`ve ordered a decent amount from Japan over the years (Amazon, CDJapan, Amotokyo. HMV etc) and can`t recall having to pay duty on anything. Amazon.co.jp`s international shipping charges went through the roof a few years back and Amotokyo stopped trading so it`s pretty much CDJapan (they also do DVD and BR) or nothing these days.
    stvn758 wrote: »
    I think it's unfair to charge duties on items that are not available in this country....

There`s nothing unfair about duty otherwise the economy would be ****ed in a matter of months as the country was flooded with personal imports. The RM portion of the charge is the indefensible part.
  • Options
    The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Below £15 is exempt. Above that it`s a roll of the dice. I`ve ordered a decent amount from Japan over the years (Amazon, CDJapan, Amotokyo. HMV etc) and can`t recall having to pay duty on anything. Amazon.co.jp`s international shipping charges went through the roof a few years back and Amotokyo stopped trading so it`s pretty much CDJapan (they also do DVD and BR) or nothing these days.

What about from Japanese sellers on ebay?
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member

There`s nothing unfair about duty otherwise the economy would be ****ed in a matter of months as the country was flooded with personal imports. The RM portion of the charge is the indefensible part.

I don't grudge the tax/duty itself. The galling part is the courier admin' charge.

Trouble with that is, you can be importing summat that's only worth £10 and they can choose to evaluate it, decide that there's no VAT or duty to be paid and still f**king-well charge you up to £50-odd (depending on the courier) for going through the motions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What about from Japanese sellers on ebay?

Depending on the seller, you might not have any choice.

I see that, recently, eBay has introduced some scheme whereby you're forced to pay tax and duty as part of the purchase price and then, apparently, the seller pays that money to their courier who, in turn, pays it to HMRC.

Still, at least that means the tax/duty is pre-paid and the courier will have no excuse to charge you an admin' fee for customs clearance and, if you're buying something fairly cheap, the admin' charge can often dwarf any VAT and duty to be paid.
  • Options
    chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive used a seller on amazon.co.uk called allyourmusic and have placed orders before of dvds which cost more than £15 and i had no extra charges
  • Options
    robo2robo2 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive used a seller on amazon.co.uk called allyourmusic and have placed orders before of dvds which cost more than £15 and i had no extra charges

if he marks it as below £15 quid you wont get charged, some ebay/amazon sellers are willing to do this
  • Options
    Forum Member
    robo2 wrote: »
    if he marks it as below £15 quid you wont get charged, some ebay/amazon sellers are willing to do this

Again, that's not entirely true. HMRC are entitled to pull any parcel and levy tax and duty based on what they think it's worth, even if it's stated as below £15.
    And, of course, once a parcel does get pulled, you'll end up paying the admin' charge, even if no further tax or duty is levied.
  • Options
    g-bhxug-bhxu Posts: 2,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=Straker;73128036}

There`s nothing unfair about duty otherwise the economy would be ****ed in a matter of months as the country was flooded with personal imports. The RM portion of the charge is the indefensible part.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you regarding the RM handling fee.

I cannot see any reason as to why the limit is so low.

The law is bloody stupid regarding import duty.

There is a £15 limit on goods mailed into the UK from a non EU country before duty is paid on the value of the item, postage and then the handling fee.

However, if you were to bring in items from a non EU country on your person, you can bring in goods up to the value of at least £270 before duty is payable.

Taken from HMCR website:-

Other goods including perfume and souvenirs

You can bring in other goods worth up to £390 without having to pay tax and/or duty.

If you arrive by private plane or private boat for pleasure purposes, you can only bring in other goods worth up to £270 tax and duty free