Forum Member
✭✭✭
Which diet is best? How does weight watchers work? Thank you

Comments

• Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They both have proven success but some do find one works better for them than the other.

I have done both but haven't done WW in a few years so not sure if the plan has changed or not. I currently do SW and personally find it much better for me. Less points counting, not much weighing of food, it encourages you to eat fresh home made food and I can see myself following their principles for life. Also nothing is off limits.

I have lost 5.5 stone so far on Slimming World. On previous goes at WW I would have stopped long before now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done, maybe I'll stick to slimming world, like you say no weighing food. Thanks!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you are doing SW now? Are you not getting results that you want? Do you go to a group or are you just doing it by yourself?
  • Options
    RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    I have done both but SW is definitely the easiest and best, I recommend it to anyone who wants to lose weight, I was a size 18-20 and am now 14-16!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone who is on slimming world share some of their diet plans etc?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can see a sample menu on the website: http://www.slimmingworld.com/healthy-eating/non-vegetarian-menu.aspx

Basically, on extra easy at every meal you should have 1 3rd of your plate superfree food (most fruit and veg) and the other 2 thirds with free foods (carbs and/or leans meats).

You also get 5-15 syns per day to use on things that aren't free/super free. Which can be anything from chicken skin to chocolate to crisps to name but a few.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do Success Express quite a lot which is basically the same as Extra easy but you have 2/3rds super free and 2 3rd free. There is more to it than just that though, you have to change some other elements of the plan too.

This is a sample of one of my days last week:

http://i62.tinypic.com/vqpg6f.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    You can see a sample menu on the website: http://www.slimmingworld.com/healthy-eating/non-vegetarian-menu.aspx

Basically, on extra easy at every meal you should have 1 3rd of your plate superfree food (most fruit and veg) and the other 2 thirds with free foods (carbs and/or leans meats).

You also get 5-15 syns per day to use on things that aren't free/super free. Which can be anything from chicken skin to chocolate to crisps to name but a few.

Many thanks for that, I really like home cooked chips, how do sw home cooked oven chips compare?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FANNY_ANNE wrote: »
    Many thanks for that, I really like home cooked chips, how do sw home cooked oven chips compare?

Do you mean as in pealing and cutting up your own potatoes? If so and if just cooked using fry light and no other oil they would be free. Frozen oven chips would depend, they all have syns but some quite low like 1 syn per 100g.

There is an element of portion control to SW and you should stop when you are nicely satisfied not eat till you are stuffed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you mean as in pealing and cutting up your own potatoes? If so and if just cooked using fry light and no other oil they would be free. Frozen oven chips would depend, they all have syns but some quite low like 1 syn per 100g.

There is an element of portion control to SW and you should stop when you are nicely satisfied not eat till you are stuffed.

Sorry, I meant how do they taste compared to deep fried? Are they more like roast potatoes?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course they won't compare to deep fried. They are nice, I prefer them to bought oven chips. Have to admit, I do mine in the actifry so come out reasonably crispy but still not like deep fried chips.

edit: Just had a look on the site and

Basic, Chips, homemade, average thickness, deep fried, per 100g are 5 syns. So you could have 300g deep fried chips for your syns if you wanted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course they won't compare to deep fried. They are nice, I prefer them to bought oven chips. Have to admit, I do mine in the actifry so come out reasonably crispy but still not like deep fried chips.

edit: Just had a look on the site and

Basic, Chips, homemade, average thickness, deep fried, per 100g are 5 syns. So you could have 300g deep fried chips for your syns if you wanted.

Thank you for your help, there are 5 groups near me, I m going to look into them and see which one to go to. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    I just use my fitness pal and eat whatever I want. Its free and easy. I've found it really easy to cut down my calories and have been losing weight steadily.
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FANNY_ANNE wrote: »
    Thank you for your help, there are 5 groups near me, I m going to look into them and see which one to go to. :)

Good luck FANNY_ANNE , I hope you achieve your goals :)
    I looked at the sample SW menu linked above (the vegetarian version) and I thought it looked really tasty, healthy and the sort of food that you can eat long term. I might try a couple of the recipes out myself, without signing up as a member.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could easily do something like SW at home on your own. I really do like the group that I go to though. We have a fantastic consultant and the other group members are great so I really don't mind paying the weekly fee (£4.95 if you pay weekly, £4.12 when you but 12 weeks at a time, basically 12 weeks for the price of 10). Might sound sad but I look forward to it every week, even if I haven't had a good food week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Silly_tree wrote: »
    I just use my fitness pal and eat whatever I want. Its free and easy. I've found it really easy to cut down my calories and have been losing weight steadily.

Yes fitness plan is great, but I am not very good at planning meals, so I may try sw for a bit. Have you tried http://www.endomondo.com/ it is very good for working out calories used when walking/running/cycling and you can also see what people are doing near you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DaisyBill wrote: »
    Good luck FANNY_ANNE , I hope you achieve your goals :)
    I looked at the sample SW menu linked above (the vegetarian version) and I thought it looked really tasty, healthy and the sort of food that you can eat long term. I might try a couple of the recipes out myself, without signing up as a member.

I agree with you about the food, I joined weight watchers around 10 years ago and was not really impressed.

Good luck to you also :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could easily do something like SW at home on your own. I really do like the group that I go to though. We have a fantastic consultant and the other group members are great so I really don't mind paying the weekly fee (£4.95 if you pay weekly, £4.12 when you but 12 weeks at a time, basically 12 weeks for the price of 10). Might sound sad but I look forward to it every week, even if I haven't had a good food week.

Yes I saw that you could join online. I may go for a month and see if it fits. I am quite anti-social though so I may be better doing in by myself. But I may surprise myself :)

Well done for your weight loss, I am over 10 stones overweight, but I just would like to lose 2 stones by Christmas and then see how I feel. I don't do well on diets as I just keep thinking about food (which I do not normally do!), but this looks like a good rest of your life plan. Take care :)
  • Options
    JanieBJanieB Posts: 3,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Might sound sad but I look forward to it every week, even if I haven't had a good food week.

Not sad at all. The ethos of the groups is to encourage participation and motivation with fellow like minded people and if you look forward to it then you are getting your money's worth and the level of support that keeps you going. I tried WW once years ago but just did not really like it because of the complication of the points. By the time I had worked out all my meals I had lost interest in eating them. Hey perhaps that was what was supposed to happen! ;-) I am now using one of the door step chef delivered programmes which is OK as everything is pre-packed and already sorted but I am thinking of going back to a group environment just to get the support from others.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    SW is far far better.

It's all about normalizing good eating, with thousands of ideas for recipes.
    Better than faffing about with points, weighing stuff, and buying WW own-brand stuff.
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm doing WW's (no other slimming clubs here) it's working well for me, I've lost 2 stone since 1st April, they start you off on Simple Start which is basically a list of foods which you mix and match as you want..You can either stay on that or start counting points which I am doing, it can be a bit of a faff sometimes but once you have worked out points on an item you know the value for next time, you also get a booklet with loads of food points listed.

I can't compare with SW as I've never been, but the WWs's meeting I go to has a great leader and a lovely group of people so it's an enjoyable hour or so!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you are doing SW now? Are you not getting results that you want? Do you go to a group or are you just doing it by yourself?

I'm doing sw, just I've heard a few friends say that ww is easier.
  • Options
    Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which diet is best? How does weight watchers work? Thank you

There is no such thing as a "diet". Its about reevaluating your eating habits for the rest of your life. Go to either if you feel you need support but there is no substitute for willpower. Always get up from the table still feeling a lttle hungry was advice given to me and I lost 3 stone and didnt find it that hard. Its all about portion control and the way things are cooked really. Good luck
  • Options
    Yvo-50Yvo-50 Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm doing sw, just I've heard a few friends say that ww is easier.

I have to disagree. WW might be easier if you don't like cooking cos you can use their ready meals etc but honestly the last time I looked I'd need 2 of those to even start to satisfy my appetite.

I'm flying the SW flag loud and proud, yes it can be time consuming cooking everything from scratch but I recommend cooking double of meals where possible and freezing.

I've lost nearly a stone, it's coming off slowly for me but it's coming off. I hated weight watchers, got to 6pm and ran out of points - not good :(

Good luck