Options

Daily Fail/Evening Standard "pledging allegiance to the caliphate "

Comments

• Options
    dragonzorddragonzord Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Daily Mail journalists are posing as jihadists in forums in an attempt to stir up reactions that might lead to another "Muzlimz are Eeevil" story.

Are they making this up

most evil man in the world

Or this

Twin Girls Flee UK To 'Join Syria Militants'
  • Options
    GeneralissimoGeneralissimo Posts: 6,289
    Forum Member
    dragonzord wrote: »

Or this

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/british-isis-fighter-al-britani-threatens-3819631

But of course we're just paranoid, racist, Daily Mail reading Islamophobes.
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think anyone is suggesting the DM has made up the entire islamic fundamentalist threat... impressive though that would be.. They appear to have just made up this one jihadist though... Making up stories isn't exactly good journalism.
  • Options
    2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How will it catch criminals?.

More likely they were hoping a bunch of Muslims on the forum would copy their statement and also pledge allegiance, so the DM could then write some story about a Muslim forum where Muslims were pledging allegiance to Isis.

If anyone who fell for it and did pledge allegiance then, if they have committed a crime by doing so, so did the DM journalist who created the thread and posted his pledge first.

I agree. If this incident this is true then they were hoping to bait some Muslims into joining in. it's more evidence of issues in the British press.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How difficult are you finding this issue to understand? It's not that they are making up the ISIS issue.

This story is about what seems to be someone from the press trying to imitate being a Muslim in order to incite religious hatred, to create a story. That's what this is about. You and Generallissimo seem to have misunderstood the story - almost on purpose it seems.

It seems you are trying to drag this thread off topic. Please don't. It's clear what the thread is about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or this

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/british-isis-fighter-al-britani-threatens-3819631

But of course we're just paranoid, racist, Daily Mail reading Islamophobes.

And then you got the idiots don't believe that muslim terrorists will behind 911 ,77 and the killing of Lee Rigby,>:(:o:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    How difficult are you finding this issue to understand? It's not that they are making up the ISIS issue.

This story is about what seems to be someone from the press trying to imitate being a Muslim in order to incite religious hatred, to create a story. That's what this is about. You and Generallissimo seem to have misunderstood the story - almost on purpose it seems.

It seems you are trying to drag this thread off topic. Please don't. It's clear what the thread is about.

You're clearly an intelligent person, so you surely understand why a journalist would post that on a site frequented by British Islamists? We know that there are hundreds of British ISIS fighters in Syria/Iraq, so it follows that there are thousands of potential sympathisers living among us.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're clearly an intelligent person, so you surely understand why a journalist would post that on a site frequented by British Islamists? We know that there are hundreds of British ISIS fighters in Syria/Iraq, so it follows that there are thousands of potential sympathisers living among us.

And it's a good idea to find out who they are and where they are.
    and pass that information on to law enforcement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And it's a good idea to find out who they are and where they are.
    and pass that information on to law enforcement.

Absolutely, as well as raise awareness of the threat.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    It's the same principle as the match-fixing stings. Although I don't think that to 'pledge allegiance' to the Caliphate would be a crime in itself, anyone who did may have links to British ISIS members.

Catch a criminal by committing the same crime?.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Completely different thing entirely, but then you knew that and are just trying to bait.

Islamic extremism and terrorism exists, and is dangerous. No one would deny that, and if they did they would be idiots.

But a DM journalist posting their allegiance to Isis just to try and get other Muslims to also post the same, so said DM journalist can then write a story about British Muslims pledging allegiance to Isis?. That's completely dishonest, not to mention very lazy journalism and could, potentially, be an offence in itself.

If the DM really cared about outing real, dangerous extremists they would use some proper, old fashioned journalism or leave it to the proper authorities.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Catch a criminal by committing the same crime?.

Like I said, it wouldn't be a crime to pledge allegiance. I won't pretend to an expert on the legality of sting operations, but, for example, when journalists set up match fixing stings they aren't themselves prosecuted, despite being part of the conspiracy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Absolutely, as well as raise awareness of the threat.

How does it raise awareness of the threat?.

Aren't we all already massively aware of the threat at any rate?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Like I said, it wouldn't be a crime to pledge allegiance. I won't pretend to an expert on the legality of sting operations, but, for example, when journalists set up match fixing stings they aren't themselves prosecuted, despite being part of the conspiracy.

That's because they haven't actually committed a crime. If they did set up an actual match fixing sting, and carried it through so the match fixing went ahead, then they too would be guilty of a crime.

You don't catch a murderer by murdering someone else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How does it raise awareness of the threat?.

Aren't we all already massively aware of the threat at any rate?.

We need an idea how many ISIS sympathisers are here in Britain, people still see it as a foreign threat rather than home grown.
    That's because they haven't actually committed a crime. If they did set up an actual match fixing sting, and carried it through so the match fixing went ahead, then they too would be guilty of a crime.

In the case of the Pakistan cricket team, the fixing did actually take place as planned by the journalist, the players and an agent but only the journalist wasn't prosecuted. Like I said, I'm not an expert on the legality of such operations.
  • Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd rather die than live under the rule of those people. Give me liberty or give me death.
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »
    I'd rather die than live under the rule of those people. Give me liberty or give me death.

What? The Daily Mail? Whatever rocks your boat I guess.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And you don't catch someone who is a threat because they post something on an internet forum. With that logic, certain posters would have reported me to the police a long time ago because they didn't like what I was saying.

What's more likely is they wanted a story. And they wanted to make out that there is a threat where there is none. It's an embarrassing day for them if this story is true.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The spin shown by some posters on here don't match up to the consensus of others on other sites. It seems delusional to me to take this story and focus on Muslims. It's about the underhanded and disgusting tactics some media outlets will go to make trouble.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We need an idea how many ISIS sympathisers are here in Britain, people still see it as a foreign threat rather than home grown.

In the case of the Pakistan cricket team, the fixing did actually take place as planned by the journalist, the players and an agent but only the journalist wasn't prosecuted. Like I said, I'm not an expert on the legality of such operations.

Well we seem to know about one, a journalist that works for the DM. :D

If the journalist was directly involved in match fixing they too should have been prosecuted then if there was evidence to show they were directly involved. If the recent hacking trial shows anything it's that journalists cannot, and should not be committing criminal offences in the quest for a story.

In certain cases I believe the police can do such things and be immune from prosecution, but not journalists generally.

But as for this story, doubtful a criminal offence has been committed anyway. It's not illegal to be sympathetic to Isis, or any other cause on an internet forum even if it is deluded. Our authorities need to put their often limited resources into tracking and dealings with those who go out to fight for Isis and other such groups. Those people really are a threat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »

I think most sane people would.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    And you don't catch someone who is a threat because they post something on an internet forum. With that logic, certain posters would have reported me to the police a long time ago because they didn't like what I was saying.

What's more likely is they wanted a story. And they wanted to make out that there is a threat where there is none. It's an embarrassing day for them if this story is true.

Agreed.

This was, if true, about nothing more than baiting posters on that forum into also pledging allegiance, so the DM could then write an outrage story about a forum of Muslims pledging allegiance to Isis. Thankfully it seems to have backfired rather spectacularly due to the stupidity and incompetence of the DM.
  • Options
    iwearoddsocksiwearoddsocks Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And then you got the idiots don't believe that muslim terrorists will behind 911 ,77 and the killing of Lee Rigby,>:(:o:confused:

Yeah, those people sure are idiots...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And by "desperate" I mean that when does someone trolling another forum and getting found out warrant an entire thread on this forum unless Islam is involved in some fashion ?
    We are surely entitled to raise an eyebrow when a troll is posting from a national paper.
    irishguy wrote: »
    Yeah - that is a bit dodgy. The actual web site is down at the minute. The OPs link is to googles cache of the site - a replica of the site recently taken. Does seem odd that the site this actually happened on is not available
    They seem to have suspended it while they look into it. Can't remember if the Pride's Purge coverage of it has already been linked: http://tompride.wordpress.com/2014/07/06/daily-mail-journalist-busted-posing-as-muslim-extremist-to-stir-up-hatred/
    irishguy wrote: »
    The quest for the identity of the wannabe jihadist continues....

http://www.ummah.com/forum/

The Sun story is quite shocking though. I don't remember it at all. If anyone didn't click on it - http://www.pcc.org.uk/news/?article=NTk0MQ== A Sun journalist posted extremist stuff on the ummah forum then wrote an article in the Sun, quoting his own posts as evidence of extremism. Really, how can these people sleep at night? How could he possibly feel proud of that article?
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But then again, IP addresses can be "spoofed".
    In computer networking, IP address spoofing or IP spoofing is the creation of Internet Protocol (IP) packets with a source IP address, with the purpose of concealing the identity of the sender or impersonating another computing system.

Just because the posting "appeared" to come from the DM doesn't necessarily mean it did.