Wii to HDMI

TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone using one of these? Tempted to get one for £6 off eBay from China, but are they worth it?

Comments

• fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't used one, but I suppose whether or not they are worth it depends on how you are connecting your Wii now.

If you're currently using the cable that came with it (composite) then you may get a better picture using such an adaptor.

But if you are already using component (red, green and blue plugs) then I doubt you'll see any real difference.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree entirely with ff.
  • TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree entirely with ff.

Really? That's a shame. Many sellers call these boxes 'upscalers' - I was hoping it would stop the jagged edges on objects in games!

I am using component cables.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Component is your best option with the Wii, given that the console is not HD. Your TV will then upscale it anyway.

Avoid HDMI convertors.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't seen what Wii games look like with this, but I imagine they are probably upscaled in the same way as when Wii games are played on the Wii U.
    If so then, the image is indeed a little more crisp, but the difference isn't really that great.

If it's only £6 then go for it, but if it were any more than that I wouldn't bother.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheVoid wrote: »
    Really? That's a shame. Many sellers call these boxes 'upscalers' - I was hoping it would stop the jagged edges on objects in games!

Upscaling a non-hd computer generated image with jaggies, just makes it blurry. Horrible in my opinion.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheVoid wrote: »

Your 1920x1080 TV will already be upscaling the image to that resolution, the only way to reduce jaggies would be for pre-processing to be done at the Wii side such as interpolation which the Wii U will be doing.

I'm afraid component leads from the a Wii is the best picture you are going to get.