Options

Unpopular Opinions (part 2)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Pumpkins and Christmas trees grown in the UK are a waste of precious agricultural land and resources.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Davina McCall and her sport relief challenge can bore off. Celebrities who choose to do such things shouldn't be treated as heroic; heroes are people who put their lives on the line for others, not people who do an unnecessary amount of exercise to raise money.
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    Davina McCall and her sport relief challenge can bore off. Celebrities who choose to do such things shouldn't be treated as heroic; heroes are people who put their lives on the line for others, not people who do an unnecessary amount of exercise to raise money.

I agree. I don't really understand the link between doing some random sports event(s), pushing yourself physically and that having a direct effect with those desperately in need, those in poverty. I'm happy to donate to charity but I'd rather not get involved in big challenging events and things. Fair enough to those who do I suppose but I don't really get it...then again, thats typical for me(!). I'll give them a donation anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of the opinions expressed on this thread aren't unpopular at all, just a cheap excuse to have a go at someone/something.

Yes! This! Every time I look at this thread it seems to consist of a rant against a collection of views that you might possibly find in the Guardian on a particularly left-liberal day. Those are not 'unpopular views'! The Guardian does not have a big circulation! Who could possibly think it is an unpopular view to attack the royal family? Or Red Nose day? Bankers? Health tourism? Do people understand the meaning of the word 'unpopular'?

Big Brother is the only tv programme I really bother to watch. Now THAT'S a minority view, and is quite genuine for me. Outside the BB season I can go a week without switching the tv on.

Only about 10% of the posters on here seem to understand what 'unpopular' means. That's another one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the Godfather is incredibly boring and doesn't hold my attention at all.

Also, I think Die Hard is the greatest film of all time.

ADHD is a neurobehavioral disorder.
    As for `Die Hard` , Time is infinite so there's a lot more of it yet to come before what can be judged as the `greatest`
    :cool::cool:
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think being female causes the state of being slow at checkouts/cashpoints.

I think it is caused by character (as is being someone with pre-formed bigoted attitudes towards women) and infirmity or unfamiliarity.

I thought of this because we went to the supermarket yesterday and a man was taking ages at the checkout but, according to some of the trusted and high-minded denizens of DS, that cannot happen, since this state is caused by being female. He did the whole thing, didn't pack until he paid, didn't get his cards out until the items had gone through, had trouble with the cards, dithered etc. I don't think any of this was caused by his gender.

Maybe I was wrong, and he wasn't a man, despite the full beard.

In light of what's said above, I hope it isn't that much of a popular view in general but you come across rather too much of this lazy bigotry on DS and elsewhere.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMO its impolite to talk while having Oral sex
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like david Cameron and boris johnson
  • Options
    necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Moyes should not have been sacked.
  • Options
    ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought The Great British Bake-Off was boring and won't be watching again.

I don't think it's necessary to highlight race in the Rochdale child abuse story.
  • Options
    Millie MuppetMillie Muppet Posts: 6,853
    Forum Member
    Endless videos on social media of people pouring water over their heads is making my brain bleed. I'm pretty sure a lot of them don't know how the craze started and aren't donating to anything. I hate these narcissistic means of attracting attention to yourself in the name of charity, like the 'make-up-free selfie' that went around earlier this year too. Just donate the fricking money already and don't make a song and dance about it.

I hate music festivals, or rather the idea of them, since I've never been to one. Glastonbury, Isle of Wight etc just do not appeal to me at all.

I'm glad the hot weather has ended prematurely this summer. I hate sweating like a pig. Bring on the autumn.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ustarion wrote: »
    I don't think it's necessary to highlight race in the Rochdale child abuse story.
    Depends what you mean by 'highlight'. I think it is worth mentioning, but shouldn't become the entire story.
    Endless videos on social media of people pouring water over their heads is making my brain bleed. I'm pretty sure a lot of them don't know how the craze started and aren't donating to anything. I hate these narcissistic means of attracting attention to yourself in the name of charity, like the 'make-up-free selfie' that went around earlier this year too. Just donate the fricking money already and don't make a song and dance about it.
    Do you suppose that your digitalspy post will raise $50,000,000 for a fairly little-known charity? If not, you are suggesting taking away a remarkable fund-raising stunt and replacing it with nothing at all.

Here's an opinion, or at least suggestion: people who get angry at charity stunts for being gimmicky or annoying and say 'people should just give money' probably don't give much anyway and don't really have any interest in charities.
  • Options
    Millie MuppetMillie Muppet Posts: 6,853
    Forum Member
    Depends what you mean by 'highlight'. I think it is worth mentioning, but shouldn't become the entire story.

Do you suppose that your digitalspy post will raise $50,000,000 for a fairly little-known charity? If not, you are suggesting taking away a remarkable fund-raising stunt and replacing it with nothing at all.

Here's an opinion, or at least suggestion: people who get angry at charity stunts for being gimmicky or annoying and say 'people should just give money' probably don't give much anyway and don't really have any interest in charities.

Sorry, I thought this was a thread to express opinions normally considered unpopular without fear of criticism or having to justify ourselves. It is not a place to suppose that contributions will have any profound effect at all, let alone raise money, so I'm unaware of what point you're trying to make here.. but since you've attempted to make one, I'll bite.

You've made a fairly gross,offensive assumption about people who dislike narcissistic publicity stunts. To say whether or not I DO donate to charities would be a hypocrisy since my whole point is that we should do so anonymously and discreetly. I'm not saying that many of the people who do these things haven't helped raise awareness, but there comes a point where inevitably, the meaning is lost- and that's what I'm referring to.

Could you, perhaps, let other people express their unpopular opinions, as the thread title says, and refrain from implying that they themselves are in some way morally reprehensible? Thanks. :)
  • Options
    GayAtheistGayAtheist Posts: 1,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Because, of course, all the narcissists who have posted videos of themselves getting soaked have donated? Lets hope you have evidence of this for each and every one of those alleged $50 million. I am glad the charities have raised that much, I am not so glad about the annoying and vacuous videos posted by many (as if it should mean anything!) There are those of us who have donated to varying charities because we want to, but we don't all feel the need for congratulating ourselves on fb for a societal craze - especially in a world where people are in need of water (but lets all congratulate those who waste it? FFS!)
  • Options
    GayAtheistGayAtheist Posts: 1,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pizza is horrible
    PS is much better than Xbox
    Kebabs are horrible

If someone attacks you first and you fight back you should not go to prison for self defence.

Abortion should be readily available to anyone who wants it

People who focus all their life on having babies and getting married are boring and incredibly dull

Harry Potter is not just for children

The legal age for drinking should be 21

Peadophiles, rapists and child a users should be chemically castrated

People place too much emphasis on accent, class and social background

Big Brother is an awful programme exploiting the vulnerable and bowing down to wannabes

Bankers wages are disgusting.

If you want surgery when you don't need it, it shouldn't be free (example: Braces Niall girl, the woman who got a boob job then had them reduced on the NHS)

The NHS should only be open to nationals of the British Isles

Equal employment has gone too far (jobs should be offered to nationals of the British Isles first)

Life skills such as working appliances, learning about tenancy agreements etc should be taught to kids so they know what to expect. (This is from someone who had to find a place to rent, six hours from home, all alone, not everyone would have been as lucky as I have with my landlady)

There should be laws about naming kids

Getting married and having babies is alright, I'm sure but it's not the be all and end all of life. It's not the mark of success.

People place too much emphasis on celebrity culture.

I agree completely. My fb feed is full of friends/family congratulated for having children (apparently having drunk sex is so difficult!), yet those who have achieved something from hard work, such as promotion, uni, travelling, etc aren't thought of as so special. That says all we need to know about my friends (or perhaps, society in general!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    people who say 'mom' or spell it as 'mom' should have a day in jail.
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »

I agree!
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. is ace.
  • Options
    Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    Modern feminists are the natural successors to Mary Whitehouse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, I thought this was a thread to express opinions normally considered unpopular without fear of criticism or having to justify ourselves.
    GayAtheist wrote: »
    Because, of course, all the narcissists who have posted videos of themselves getting soaked have donated? Lets hope you have evidence of this for each and every one of those alleged $50 million. I am glad the charities have raised that much, I am not so glad about the annoying and vacuous videos posted by many (as if it should mean anything!) There are those of us who have donated to varying charities because we want to, but we don't all feel the need for congratulating ourselves on fb for a societal craze - especially in a world where people are in need of water (but lets all congratulate those who waste it? FFS!)

I don't really want to, but so as not to clutter up this thread I will transpose the argument to another thread.
  • Options
    Chelseafan101Chelseafan101 Posts: 2,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bullying should result in prison sentences, and if it causes the victim to commit suicide, then it should be treated as murder.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. is ace.

I quite like it too! I don't think it's as bad as people make out.
  • Options
    ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parent and Child parking spots are massively abused and should be scrapped immediately.
  • Options
    Sam_Clarke1Sam_Clarke1 Posts: 3,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer Tescos and Sainsburys to Aldi and Lidl
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes! This! Every time I look at this thread it seems to consist of a rant against a collection of views that you might possibly find in the Guardian on a particularly left-liberal day. Those are not 'unpopular views'! The Guardian does not have a big circulation! Who could possibly think it is an unpopular view to attack the royal family? Or Red Nose day? Bankers? Health tourism? Do people understand the meaning of the word 'unpopular'?

Big Brother is the only tv programme I really bother to watch. Now THAT'S a minority view, and is quite genuine for me. Outside the BB season I can go a week without switching the tv on.

Only about 10% of the posters on here seem to understand what 'unpopular' means. That's another one.

In my 8+ years of posting on different forums, I've found that people flock to them to complain, so what might be a popular opinion in real life is often the opposite online. And then there's the crowd who say things just to be contrary. Massive doses of salt are often in order on these types of threads. And let's not forget that people's perception is usually tainted by the media, if we see ads all the time for 'I'm a Celebrity' or 'Big Brother', we might assume that those shows are popular and slating them is unpopular. But then things can be popular for the wrong reasons, like Jeremy Kyle.:-D

I guess what I'm trying to say amongst my babbling is that what one person perceives as unpopular may not be so to another.:-)