Soaps and one parent families

AngiBearAngiBear Posts: 2,894
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just when I was thinking about Corrie last night. After Tyrone split with Kirsty he is yet another one parent family then I was thinking how a lot of the soaps have one parent families more than happy family units. I wonder if this in intentional or whether writers think it will make for better, more dramatic viewing?

Corrie:

Tyrone with Rubbeh
Fiz with Hope
Katy with Joseph
Maria with Liam
Anna with Gary/Faye
Tracy with Amy
Eileen with Jason/Todd
Stella with Eva/Leanne
Leanne with Simon
Beth with Craig

Comments

• Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AngiBear wrote: »
    Just when I was thinking about Corrie last night. After Tyrone split with Kirsty he is yet another one parent family then I was thinking how a lot of the soaps have one parent families more than happy family units. I wonder if this in intentional or whether writers think it will make for better, more dramatic viewing?

Corrie:

Tyrone with Rubbeh
    Fiz with Hope
    Katy with Joseph
    Maria with Liam
    Anna with Gary/Faye
    Tracy with Amy
    Eileen with Jason/Todd
    Stella with Eva/Leanne
    Leanne with Simon
    Beth with Craig

Don't forget Dev with the twins. In fact there isn't a single couple on screen who are married parents.
  • GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget Dev with the twins. In fact there isn't a single couple on screen who are married parents.

Jimmy and Nicola King (parents of Angelica) in Emmerdale. The Bartons were also married with kids, before his death, as were the Wyldes (although bigamously). Can't think of any recent others in the soaps I watch anyway.
  • AngiBearAngiBear Posts: 2,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ah, forgot about Dev, thank you. I thought that too but then wondered if I imagined it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    Sally with Sophie?
    And I suppose Kevin with Jack?
  • IanMandyIanMandy Posts: 14,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kat and Alfie once they inevitably reunite but otherwise there are none in EE
  • O-JO-J Posts: 18,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IanMandy wrote: »
    Kat and Alfie once they inevitably reunite but otherwise there are none in EE

Butchers,

I think Carol is the only parent of the whole lot, Including Bianca the fully grown child! :D
  • EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emmerdale has a few.

Belle, with Zak and Lisa.

Noah, (adopted by Jai) with Jai and Charity

Angelica with Jimmy and Nicola King

Molly with Nikhil and Gennie

And are Laurel and Ashley still technically married?
  • emmerfarmeremmerfarmer Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    Emmersonne wrote: »
    Emmerdale has a few.

Laurel and Ashley are still married legally there has been no mention of a divorce.
  • Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AngiBear wrote: »

Corrie:

Tyrone with Rubbeh
    Fiz with Hope
    Katy with Joseph
    Maria with Liam
    Anna with Gary/Faye
    Tracy with Amy
    Eileen with Jason/Todd
    Stella with Eva/Leanne
    Leanne with Simon
    Beth with Craig
    What an interesting question, AngiBear., and a very sad one. Why do we not have family units in soaps? Under the generous benefits system, is it more profitable not to get married?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Laurel and Ashley are still married legally there has been no mention of a divorce.

Hopefully Maurel can be brushed under the carpet :o
  • Corrie2010Corrie2010 Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michelle and Ryan Connor
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It says a lot for the lack of imagination of the producers of the major soaps that EE and Corrie barely have ANY traditional families.

I'm struggling to even think when one was last introduced - The Windass' family in Corrie? And the Masoods in EE?
  • fayemianfayemian Posts: 3,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Single parenthood never seems to stop the Corrie lot going out drinking. All the single parents I know have to be super organised to organise a night out, sometimes weeks in advance.

Anna's house can't be that big that she babysits them all, surely?
  • IanMandyIanMandy Posts: 14,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benbenalen wrote: »
    Butchers,

I think Carol is the only parent of the whole lot, Including Bianca the fully grown child! :D

I meant there are no married couple with kids who are together in EE

But yes, I agree about Carol and Bianca:D
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know that obviously it's via marriage but we do have a nuclear family unit in David, Kylie and Max.

I remember Norris going on a rant one day about the amount of NO parent families!
  • AndreaMCAndreaMC Posts: 3,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a total disgrace how they don't show normal, ORDINARY families on Coronation Street. I think they should be questioned about their reasoning for this.
  • AngiBearAngiBear Posts: 2,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emmersonne wrote: »
    Emmerdale has a few.

I don't watch Emmerdale but its good to see a lot of couples in a family unit. Maybe Corrie writers believe this is more true to life in Manchester though?

I would love to know the reasoning behind it.
  • EastEnders-1105EastEnders-1105 Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tanya and Lauren, Abi and Oscar
    Kat and tommy
    Roxy and Amy
    Ava and Dexter
    Carol and Bianca
    Bianca and Tiff whitney Liam and Morgan
    Sharron and Denny

The only married couple in EE is Max and Kirsty
  • sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What an interesting question, AngiBear., and a very sad one. Why do we not have family units in soaps? Under the generous benefits system, is it more profitable not to get married?

It's no different. A family's income is assessed in exactly the same way, whether the parents are married or not.
  • Steph_CuckowSteph_Cuckow Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hollyoaks
    Myra n the brood with different dads
    Diane and her step kids
    Jack and Darren
    Poor Tom with no parents
    Dirk n the savages
    T and kathleen angel
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hollyoaks
    Myra n the brood with different dads
    Diane and her step kids
    Jack and Darren
    Poor Tom with no parents
    Dirk n the savages
    T and kathleen angel

Orphaned by his mum and dad, orphaned again by his brother, again by his brother's wife...

I'd think twice about adopting Tom! :eek:
  • Willow33Willow33 Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deirdre and Ken are married, and have a witch called Tracey :D
  • curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its pretty true to life, well in my area anyway in both my childrens classes there are more kids who,s parents have seperated than the one,s who have stayed together :(
  • Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    curvybabes wrote: »
    its pretty true to life, well in my area anyway in both my childrens classes there are more kids who,s parents have seperated than the one,s who have stayed together :(

I suppose it just depends i barely know anyone who's parents are divorced. All my close friends surviving parents are still together, my parents are, all my aunts and uncles are. I'm struggling to think of a single person i know who has divorced. Statistically 42% of marriages end in divorce so its still less than half. Soaps dont really reflect this though as it would seem almost 100% of their marriages fail.
  • big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    The total lack of nuclear families (or indeed married couples in EE) is pretty jarring. I hope the new family to be introduced to EE later this year helps to rectify this. Having said that, it would only be a matter of time before newcomers who have been happily married for years suddenly turn to the latest sex symbol for a cheap thrill or go through some form of major story that leads to separation.