Options

Channel 5 burying their best shows

Comments

• Options
    kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember Channel 5 were meant to run saturday night as "Law and Order night" Law and Order, L/O SVU and Criminal intent then Channel 5 took off Law and Order and went back to I think either CSI or NCIS (I don't mind NCIS) but the following week Law and Order never appeared and I never watched it since - so why start up something and basically axe a show to do with a so called "theme" it baffles me
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    With recordable facilities as they are these days, does it really matter when a show is broadcast?

If you'd read my original post, you'd know that that is exactly the problem I'm having.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,714
    Forum Member
    Which is the problem with these dumb DVRs. Barring late schedule changes, Virgin Media's Tivo would have no problem recording it whenever it was on.

Not really gloating but more of a "why don't other DVRs do this by now" comment.
  • Options
    square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    C5 have developed quite a reputation for shunting shows all over the schedule and various channels.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even Big Brother is getting buried. The final has been split into 2 parts on Monday night, the 2nd of which is on from 10:55-11:30pm. Why? So that they can show none other than Under the Dome at 10pm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    Even Big Brother is getting buried. The final has been split into 2 parts on Monday night, the 2nd of which is on from 10:55-11:30pm. Why? So that they can show none other than Under the Dome at 10pm.

Surely channel 5 could have had it done in one show at 9pm or even ran it from 8pm or 8.30pm? (I am not into Big Brother here but I wonder if viewers will drop even when Under the Dome starts and 2nd part of BB?)
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I still haven't forgiven C5 for bundling Dallas off to 11pm after a few episodes. Ratings or not, it was never given a chance.
  • Options
    jw2011jw2011 Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They did the same with Dallas. From 9pm to 11pm which was a right pain. Especially when they moved it to show CSI!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jw2011 wrote: »
    They did the same with Dallas. From 9pm to 11pm which was a right pain. Especially when they moved it to show CSI!!!

I gave up on Dallas when Channel 5 done that :eek:, you have to wonder if they do this to shows on purpose or why they do it
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    jw2011 wrote: »

Agreed. As I said in the post above yours, they didn't give Dallas a chance before they moved it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    I'd argue Dallas was given a chance, it got a lot of promo, and they did give it 4 or so episodes (of the second series) before changing timeslots...
  • Options
    Super_SteveSuper_Steve Posts: 4,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They did the same thing with The Shield. Stuck it on at allsorts of un-Godly hours.
  • Options
    wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With some of these shows you have to expect it. They only have second run rights with the second run rights not kicking in until the day after the season finale airs on the first run rights channels. This happens to be the same day that the DVD is usually released.

So is it really that surprising when shows like Dexter, Walking Dead and True Blood who already have a niche appeal anyway fail to grab an audience share that justifies the hour they are aired in. Its the reason why the BBC didnt take up Sky's offer of second run rights on 24 and Channel 4 didn't take sky's offer of second run rights for LOST because they both knew that the potential audience would have been caniblised so it didnt justitfy either the prime time slot or the episode fee.

Other shows have failed elsewhere already which shows that there may not be an audience and means they may also have to buy previous seasons and air those first to build an audience which isn't always viable. C5 did try buying shows that had flopped elsewhere before by buying shows like Alias and Stargate Atlantis and giving them a decent slot but they couldn't find themselves an audience still
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wakey wrote: »
    With some of these shows you have to expect it. They only have second run rights with the second run rights not kicking in until the day after the season finale airs on the first run rights channels. This happens to be the same day that the DVD is usually released.

So is it really that surprising when shows like Dexter, Walking Dead and True Blood who already have a niche appeal anyway fail to grab an audience share that justifies the hour they are aired in. Its the reason why the BBC didnt take up Sky's offer of second run rights on 24 and Channel 4 didn't take sky's offer of second run rights for LOST because they both knew that the potential audience would have been caniblised so it didnt justitfy either the prime time slot or the episode fee.

Other shows have failed elsewhere already which shows that there may not be an audience and means they may also have to buy previous seasons and air those first to build an audience which isn't always viable. C5 did try buying shows that had flopped elsewhere before by buying shows like Alias and Stargate Atlantis and giving them a decent slot but they couldn't find themselves an audience still
    Sky normally buys exclusive rights (meaning the distributor cannot offer a second run to another broadcaster). Otherwise, E4 would've been over Glee like a rash...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    C5 ruin shows, by having so many ads. I know they have to make money but when its so easy to get the shows elsewhere without ads they don't help themselves
  • Options
    Forum Member
    C5 ruin shows, by having so many ads. I know they have to make money but when its so easy to get the shows elsewhere without ads they don't help themselves
    The only way they could combat that is by going ad free. Which for obvious reasons isn't feasible...
  • Options
    wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky normally buys exclusive rights (meaning the distributor cannot offer a second run to another broadcaster). Otherwise, E4 would've been over Glee like a rash...

Yes but Sky did shop both the 24 and LOST rights around. And if they were still doing that I'm not sure E4 would have been all over Glees second run rights as the cost for the ratings wouldn't have been great as Sky already paid over the odds for the second run rights
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

C5 doesn't have any more ads than ITV or C4.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    C5 doesn't have any more ads than ITV or C4.

The first episode of Dallas was like ads every 5 minutes & ads for competition after each break it was a joke
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Iv now watched both seasons of Dallas, the first season of Wentworth & 8 episodes of under the dome ad free so i have no reason to watch on ch5
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first episode of Dallas was like ads every 5 minutes & ads for competition after each break it was a joke

It was a longer episode than the rest of the series and had four ad breaks. The maximum length of an internal break is 3m 50s of which only 3m 30s can be paid ads.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It was a longer episode than the rest of the series and had four ad breaks. The maximum length of an internal break is 3m 50s of which only 3m 30s can be paid ads.

I thought that rule only applied during films and TV movies...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that rule only applied during films and TV movies...

They can be longer in those, as they're only allowed one break per 30 minutes of programme.
  • Options
    janusjanus Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    You can add Archer to that list as well.
    seconded.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They can be longer in those, as they're only allowed one break per 30 minutes of programme.

I'm fairly certain it's the other way round, and that the limit is only on films, as well as one per scheduled half hour. I'll look later, but tbh I can't be bothered to get in to an argument, and this being DS it will almost certainly devolve into one...