FIFA gameplay sliders

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
Forum Member
Hey!

I recently discovered these from browsing the Operation Sports forum, and I've started playing with them a little bit, where I might have ignored them in the past. Very surprising to see such a massively customisable system for such a big game, and I think it's a great idea. Almost everything about the gameplay can be changed to suit the preferences of the gamer.

I picked up FIFA World Cup 2010 and then FIFA 10 this week, and to my surprise I found a game that to me feels better in play to the newer FIFA's (I'm on 13 still though). I can't quite pinpoint what it is, but I think it's in the passing. It's too slow and sluggish on 13, but is much more purposeful in 10. On the forums they always recommend slowing the passing down, but to me it feels so unsatisfying just watching a ball just slowly trundling around when it should be probing and prowling the field. I'm all for a slower build up in-game and more considered application of the passing, but I don't think this should necessarily slow the ball down when you do actually pass it.

Have you guys played with the sliders at all in FIFA? And what have you found? What is your game set to skill/speed wise?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Meh, take no notice. 13 is way ahead of 10. Of course. Too many important things have been added to the gameplay to be able to go back.

However the sliders are still a great idea. I've speeded up the passing a wee bit, but slowed the shooting down. I play on slow speed generally.

Fascinating all this, I know.

😁
    Forum Member
    So nobody cares and it's just me playing this, but it's kinda become my World Cup videogame of choice, and in fact now my favourite football game of all time hands down. I was always historically a PES fan first, but this really beats it as a simulation and a videogame imho. It's far more satisfying and realistic. PES may have an edge in ball physics (slightly) and player representations, but this hammers it everywhere else.

I'm now using a slightly customised version of Zjac7's sliders from here, and really the game is so enjoyable and realistic to play I almost can't believe it.
    User/CPU

Sprint Speed: 50/50
    Acceleration: 50/49 (FIFA 13 doesn't really have so much of a CPU "speed cheat" per se, but this setting does help combat "psychic CPU" syndrome - set at 50 if you find this makes the game slightly easy)
    Shot Error: 50/56
    Pass Error: 50/74
    Shot Speed: 44/44
    Pass Speed: 52/52
    Injury Frequency: 69/69
    Injury Severity: 41/41
    Goalkeeper Ability: 50/50
    Marking: 20/77
    Run Frequency: 23/0 (very good reasons for this explained in the forum)
    Line Height: 49 (definitely affects CPU build up AI)/50
    Line Length: 41 (also definitely affects CPU build up AI)/50
    Line Width: 50/50
    Fullback Positioning: 50/50
    Power Bar: 65
    First Touch 48 (helps with build up/one-touch play on manual)/49

Gameplay set to "slow". I upped the pass speed a tiny amount to compensate for my shorter halves (10 mins) and lowered the shooting speed to something more realistic. I don't play using manual controller settings as I don't find it as fluid because I can't do it!

Sure I'm behind you all with your PS4's, but to see how far the FIFA games have come even at this stage (2 years ago!) is a real surprise and delight. I bet FIFA 15 will be amazing on the new gen. You lucky folks!

Do you think us on the last gen will still get a worthwhile FIFA 15? I'd like to get it but I'm not going to bother if it's going to be poorly done.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    The ps3 Fifas should still be good for another few years yet, definitely this year and next. So don't worry about it. Chances are if the ps3 physics are crap then so will the ps4. But it should look pretty :)

Ill def be getting Fifa 15 because I skipped 14. I look forward to it. Career mode is my mode of choice so I hope that's good.
    Forum Member
    Yuffie wrote: »
    The ps3 Fifas should still be good for another few years yet, definitely this year and next. So don't worry about it. Chances are if the ps3 physics are crap then so will the ps4. But it should look pretty :)

Ill def be getting Fifa 15 because I skipped 14. I look forward to it. Career mode is my mode of choice so I hope that's good.

Thanks for replying Yuffie. I skipped 14 too, not because it was crap or anything but because I'm just too happy with 13 and I don't like to buy them *every* year. Hopefully you're right and 15 will still be great on PS3. If not I'll just pick up a cheaper copy of 14 and be done. :)

Will there be any prev-gen gameplay videos released soon do you think? I know the whole focus is new-gen but I still want to see it before I pre-order.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Well I'm the same. I never buy them every year. I went from 10 to 13 and now I want a next gen one. 13 was a very good one tho.

It's getting rarer that you see previous gen videos. As you said, they're trying to push the next gen ones.

But why would you pre-order? Is there a bonus for doing so??
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the game is scripted anyway so whats point in sliders?
    Forum Member
    Yuffie wrote: »
    But why would you pre-order? Is there a bonus for doing so??

Yeah there's some bonus DLC on Amazon, but mostly they're offering free delivery and to get it on the release day. Just saves me having to bob to the shops. :)
    Forum Member
    whedon247 wrote: »
    the game is scripted anyway so whats point in sliders?

I don't know what this means!

Been playing it for a few months now and haven't noticed anything where the CPU dictates how the game will go (if that's what you mean), but then I only play leagues and kick off games. I haven't delved into the managerial side of it yet.

The thing I like about it over PES is how you can't just hold the run button and charge forward all the time. I think PES got a bit like that, certainly you can see this in gameplay videos on Youtube. Everyone just seems to hare forward at full pelt. Maybe it's these slider settings, but if you try to do this in Fifa you get nowhere. This game pushes you to take time to plan your moves, and encourages you to probe more smartly.

I can't deny it's taken some getting used to after years of Pro Evo, but now I definitely feel like I "get it". I no longer get that jarring feeling when switching between the games. I can play both quite easily now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you will see the scripting soon enough, it took me a week or so

once you do the game is broken.
  • the dourflathe dourfla Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PES 2013 was decent but 2014 and fifa are so rage inducing, 1st year since ISS i haven't spent money on a football game.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PES 2013 was decent but 2014 and fifa are so rage inducing, 1st year since ISS i haven't spent money on a football game.

same boat here

i am playing pes 2013 still, if someone had told me this time last year i will go without a new footy game i would have laughed in their face

new pes has tag line form is temporary class is permanent and embargo on it is dropped tomorrow. look forward to reading that as alot of tid bits coming out seem like they are confident they are back and the best. but like last year it could mean nothing.
    Forum Member
    whedon247 wrote: »
    you will see the scripting soon enough, it took me a week or so

once you do the game is broken.

Well I've been playing the Fifa 14 demo as I've now managed to order the actual game pretty cheaply. Have to say, out of the box you are absolutely correct. The whole thing seems nearly impossible to play on anything above the easier settings. Players just seem to hone in on you in a very unrealistic way. There's no space for you, it's so hard to build any kind of play up. You feel cheated a great deal of the time.

However, this is why I go the slider route. If you go onto the forum I linked to earlier, a lot of the guys have spent a lot of time addressing the issues EA have introduced via these settings, and after using again the Zjac7 set, the game becomes much more realistic and playable. It makes such a huge difference to the game, I cannot understand why EA doesn't make it this way to begin with. It's completely changed how I play the game, and I can honestly say I wouldn't bother with Fifa at all if these slider settings weren't available to adjust from the user side.

Do give them a go.
    Forum Member
    Well, my Fifa 14 order turned up the other day, and I've spent lots of hours on it so far. Have to say, massively disappointed. I don't know what's gone off in the AI, but the game is damn near impossible to play. Even adjusting the sliders as per Zjac7 has had little effect for me. Control of the ball is awful, even with star players, and it's difficult to know just how the game wants you to play it to be successful. If I slow my play down and play mindfully and probe (as arguably you should), it's either nil-nil every game or the AI just ups its speed and annihilates you. If I try to play a quicker more one-touch game the thing just dances around me. And trying to shoot is impossible. The box is always crowded and shots invariably hit one of your team-mates arses. There's very few clever few balls that actually work, and chances always end up bobbling out of play. It's just one bore-draw after another, unless I lower the difficulty right down.

In short, while I like the sort of more realistic angle I think they're aiming for, there's a definite shortfall in user friendly gameplay imho. There's no balance, which to me is something that, despite its faults, PES gets right all the time.

I'll stick with it for a while and see if I improve. I remember hating PES 2013 until I got the hang of it. Anyone got any tips? Serious ones that is...
    Forum Member
    So...bumped for FIFA 15. :)

Still on last gen here (PS3). Have spent some considerable time with the game now, and have to concede that yes it does need some adjustment for a decent single player vs AI experience. First off, for me the players are simply too fast and ungraceful. They bump into each other and fall over each other all the time and it's awful. On dialling down the gameplay to slow, then turning down sprint speed and acceleration a little I find it much more graceful imho, and more realistic and fun to play.

After this there's the little matter of the laser guided CPU on anything from Pro upwards. It will score at will almost every time it gets near the goal. I'm still in the process of tinkering but so far dialling down the user shot error and increasing the CPU's a small amount has helped a lot, and also turning down the fullback positioning a tiny bit has helped stop the defenders being caught completely out of position all the time. Now getting some more realistic scorelines as opposed to constant 4-4 draws or 5-4 games.

I would normally deride the inclusion of something like gameplay sliders in a game. It smacks of a company not wanting to spend any time developing and play testing a quality single player experience. Well that's exactly what it is, but when you start to dig it becomes easy to see just how flexible the sliders are and just how much you can change the game to suit. The flip side for EA is that realistically you can pretty much make the game play just like anything you want, rendering any further releases for the single player gamer completely redundant beyond kit upgrades. I could get almost exactly the same gameplay on 12 or 13 that I have here on 15 with enough time and patience.

Am I pretty much alone with the slider thing here? Again if anyone has any tips please post!
  • ErythroleukosErythroleukos Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm appalling at FIFA so I'm after any good advice on sliders that you can recommend. My own level is that I can beat teams on Semi-Pro by 5 or 6 goals to nil (so it's far too easy) but get to professional and I'm losing to worse quality teams than me by 1 or 2 goals and just get closed down and beaten off the ball too much.

I don't mind working to beat teams but one level seems too easy and the next one up just too difficult.
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm appalling at FIFA so I'm after any good advice on sliders that you can recommend. My own level is that I can beat teams on Semi-Pro by 5 or 6 goals to nil (so it's far too easy) but get to professional and I'm losing to worse quality teams than me by 1 or 2 goals and just get closed down and beaten off the ball too much.

I don't mind working to beat teams but one level seems too easy and the next one up just too difficult.

I'm the same. The AI just seem so aggressive on professional and I can't manage to handle them as a result - there's no space at all, yet when they get the ball, your players give them acres of space :confused:
    Forum Member
    You guys sound exactly the same as I was. Too good for Semi, but not good enough for Pro. Best advice I can give first is get your finger off the sprint button all the time! Generally, that is what caused my problems, before looking at sliders. You need to use the sprint button much more sparingly. Control your pace and physicality more by holding both L+R triggers down to make time with the ball, or just the L trigger to control the player better. You can do this a lot to change direction in the box and sell the defenders a dummy, especially if you are dashing into the area, along with a simple flick or two of the right stick for a trick. Once you get better you'll notice the box suddenly don't seem so crowded no more!

The game eventually gets silly on Pro. You begin to notice the AI scoring at will no matter how many you score, leading to Rugby scorelines all the time. I can score fairly easily, but so does the CPU. That's why I went into slider settings to fix things. My sliders on Pro are below. Just very slight tweaks for now, to balance the fairness and realism and fun out a bit. They probably won't suit you as everyone's different, but they're here anyway.
    8 Minute halves (previously had 10 but that's too long for FIFA imho)
    Professional
    Slow
    Assisted/semi settings for controller, auto switch assist low, analogue sprint off
    Enhanced Broadcast Camera (New) - height 10, zoom 20

Sliders (user/cpu)

Sprint: 45/45  (that needed slowing down from Ice Hockey levels!)
    Acceleration: 49/49
    Shot Error: 48/55 (let's try and even this out EA)
    Pass Error: 50/60
    Shot Speed: 45/45  (again, Ice Hockey speeds needed slowing imho)
    Pass Speed: 50/50
    Injury Frequency: 49/50
    Injury Severity: 40/40 (dunno about you but I was losing loads of players all the time)
    GK Ability: 50/50
    Marking: 50/50
    Run Frequency: 50/50
    Line Height: 50/50
    Line Length: 50/50
    Line Width: 50/50 (haven't had a good reason to change any of these...yet)
    Fullback Positioning: 49/49
    First Touch Error: 50/53
    Power Bar: 50/50 (this suited me OK once used to it)

As you can see I've only slightly tweaked things. The camera made a massive difference to proceedings after the slider changes tbh. Let me know how you get on. :)
  • ErythroleukosErythroleukos Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm trying out this set at the minute...
    Controls: Full manual or
    Semi for shooting and crossing, Manual for through ball, Passing and Lob.
    Defending: Tactical
    Half Length: 10 Minutes
    Difficulty level: PRO
    Game Speed: NORMAL
    Analog Sprint: On
    Camera: Tele Broadcast (custom) H:12, Z:15 (I strongly feel that the camera used effects the gameplay)

All sliders are HUMAN/CPU
    Sprint: 51/50 (The CPU is more athletic and able to out sprint me while dribbling the ball on PRO, this is designed to limit the obvious CPU advantage in athleticsm)
    Acceleration: 50/49 (Again, designed to level the playing field, the CPU player simply run faster than my players and react to 50/50 balls like they are possessed. The Acceleration slider for the CPU effects how they play very dramatically, so if you're finding these settings too easy then increase CPU ACC and vice versa)
    Shot Error: 52/52
    Pass Error: 50/52 (attempting to reduce CPU pass comp% into the 70-80%)
    Shot Speed: 52/52(On default the shot speed feels floaty and underpowered. My goal is to be able to bang in the occasional long range shot with the appropriate players, and create a threat from distance when the opportunity presents itself.)
    Pass Speed: 54/54 (Passes feel extremely bogged down on default. This attempts to open of the game a bit and provide the opportunity for deadly counter attacking as seen in proper football)
    Injury Frequency: 60/60 (I haven't seen many injuries, only having to sub one knocked player in 15ish matches ~ will experiment with increasing to create more injuries)
    Injury Severity: 50/50
    GK Ability: 50/50
    Marking: 50/45 (CPU marking at 44 really opens up the gameplay IMO, the CPU doesn't mark perfectly anymore, and there are opportunities to use space properly)
    Run Frequency: 50/50
    Line Height: 50/50
    Line Length: 50/50
    Line Width: 49/49 (I'd like to reduce the easy of being able to enter the top of the box area when attacking in order to try to make it more difficult to shoot directly squared up to the goal)
    Fullbacks: 50/50
    First Touch: 50/50
    Power Bar: 45 (My pass percentage hovers between 70-80%, which is realistic considering the teams I've used. I feel the power bar has a lot to do with my passing timing, i.e. linking together easy passes and being able to hit that killer ball ~ still a work in process)

I'll see how I get on in the next few days