Humax 9200T - More pros than cons

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
Forum Member
Hi all

I have had my 9200T since Wednesday. It replaces a Fusion 150 which started to delete recordings before I could view them (now that is VERY ANNOYING) and also had a power supply problem.

When I reverted to using my Labgear Setpal box I noticed how much better the Setpal picture and sound was compared to the Fusion.

I am very pleased to say that IMHO the Humax picture and sound is even (slightly) better than the Setpal and to me this together with reliability is what matters most.

The remote is also very good and much better than the fusion’s.

Build quality is excellent, it runs cool (cold) and quiet and the 2 year guarantee inspires confidence in the product.

If Humax can fix the items collated by Sir Barry and others I will be more than pleased and I believe the 9200T will then not only be on prospective purchaser’s short lists but right at the top.

Roger

Comments

• late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    Yes i stand with you there.

I just miss the NOW/NEXT for other channels not just the one your watching, you have to use TV Guide.
    Also they do need to fix the editing section, i cant use the controls at all.

But apart from that its a great machine... and yes the picture and sound is very good.
    I have had 1 crash but it seems to have settled down now.
    I'm glad about the running temp too as mine is in a wood TV cabinet.
    Forum Member
    I forgot to say... do you think you can download more games onto the system??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    Sorry, no idea.

Not really interested in games, mp3 or other 'extras'.

I bought the 9200T to use as a PVR.

Roger

PS My phone has a 'camera' built in but I only use it as a phone as I prefer to use a 'real' camera when I need one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    refreshing to read you post. and yes on balance this is a good box no question about it and I have had a few. I'm going to stay on these threads though because there are and will be people who have problem boxes and am happy to stay on and take part in the discussions/helping with tests etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    late8 wrote:
    Yes i stand with you there.

I just miss the NOW/NEXT for other channels not just the one your watching, you have to use TV Guide.

But apart from that its a great machine... and yes the picture and sound is very good.
    I have had 1 crash but it seems to have settled down now.
    I'm glad about the running temp too as mine is in a wood TV cabinet.

Hi

Now and Next is possible, although not that obvious, if you press the "i" key then the right arrow (i.e. circle quadrant to right of i key) you will see the name of the next show.

Equally, if you press the i key twice to get the synopsis of the current show, press the right arrow and the synopsis and name of the next show will appear.

Now and Next just not by name!

Simon
  • Schnauzer BitesSchnauzer Bites Posts: 916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RJD wrote:
    If Humax can fix the items collated by Sir Barry and others I will be more than pleased and I believe the 9200T will then not only be on prospective purchaser’s short lists but right at the top.

Roger

I think the main point is the IF, and how much confidence you have that Humax are actually that interested in fixing the problems. Considering we are still having EPG population problems on the 8000T doesn't fill me with confidence about their abilities to sort out this new product.
    Forum Member
    SimonB1978 wrote:
    Hi

Now and Next is possible, although not that obvious, if you press the "i" key then the right arrow (i.e. circle quadrant to right of i key) you will see the name of the next show.

Equally, if you press the i key twice to get the synopsis of the current show, press the right arrow and the synopsis and name of the next show will appear.

Now and Next just not by name!

Simon

Yes i know that can be done, i should have made it more clear that when you press the 'i' button you should get information for the other channels whilst you are watching the one your currently on. This isn't available therefore the info button is virtually useless because its limited to the current channel. Therefor you can scan through the channels instead of having to exit and go to the TV Guide, my last grundig box had this feature and its 3 years old!
  • jon_cjon_c Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    late8 wrote:
    ... the info button is virtually useless because its limited to the current channel.

This is something I was disappointed with when I get my Toppy - it shares the same limitation in it's "vanilla" form, although it is possible to add this functionality with TAPs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RJD wrote:

But if they dont then the Topfield will stay at the top!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    late8 wrote:

The editing section works fine, it is the manual that is wrong.

You will find the solution to your editing problem
    here
    Forum Member
    But if they dont then the Topfield will stay at the top!

Yes but no sane person or someone from the general public will want to pay £300 for a machine that does the same as one for less.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    late8 wrote:
    Yes but no sane person or someone from the general public will want to pay £300 for a machine that does the same as one for less.

But it doesn't do the same though - but maybe if Humax add chase play I'd agree. BTW its £265 at the satellitecentre.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    But it doesn't do the same though - but maybe if Humax add chase play I'd agree. BTW its £265 at the satellitecentre.

But you still need to add taps to the toppy. Are these all free?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    I've had Sky+ for a couple of years now and because of this my expectations for a PVR are pretty high including Chase play/Timeslip, now/next for all channels and ability to set recording from now/next banner.

While these functions are very useful and well implemented in Sky+, I can appreciate the added complexity to provide this functionality with complete reliability on a PVR. Sky+ of course benefits from a constant revenue stream which freeview PVRs don't.

If I had never had Sky+ or any other PVR, the functionality of the 9200T is mind blowing compared to a normal VCR, which is after all what the majority of people buying PVRs are replacing.

For little over £200, the 9200T is outstanding value for money.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quaint wrote:
    But you still need to add taps to the toppy. Are these all free?

Free - mostly yes, I only know of one thats actually "sold", a few others ask for contributions, most are free.

Besides which the machine is fine without any additions, many people don't load any, I like to tinker so I use about 4. Its kinda like a PDA, works well out of the box but can do more if you add more programs.

The out of the box EPG is disappointing on the Topfield, mainly (they say) because of the way UK EPG data works and how many MUXes we have. But add JAGs EPG on and its great, even gives you recording based on key-words - pretty close to a season pass concept, it repeats the search daily.

There is talk of a new EPG from Topfield, but at the end of the day if they don't come up with the goods the users will (and have), thanks to them providing a published API for the machine. (API - application programming interface, the list of basic commands that the system can perform, with this list and details on how to use it third party developers can extend the system).
  • creddishcreddish Posts: 5,285
    Forum Member
    Free - mostly yes, I only know of one thats actually "sold", a few others ask for contributions, most are free.

Besides which the machine is fine without any additions, many people don't load any, I like to tinker so I use about 4. Its kinda like a PDA, works well out of the box but can do more if you add more programs.

The out of the box EPG is disappointing on the Topfield, mainly (they say) because of the way UK EPG data works and how many MUXes we have. But add JAGs EPG on and its great, even gives you recording based on key-words - pretty close to a season pass concept, it repeats the search daily.

There is talk of a new EPG from Topfield, but at the end of the day if they don't come up with the goods the users will (and have), thanks to them providing a published API for the machine. (API - application programming interface, the list of basic commands that the system can perform, with this list and details on how to use it third party developers can extend the system).

I believe the Toppy (out of the box) has more limited advert skipping capabilites than the 9200. For example the the 9200 has the very convenient and flexible COMMERCIAL SKIP button which can be pre=set to skip forward in 15, 30 or 60 intervals. Taken together with the INSTANT REPLAY button which is adjustable to skip back in 7, 15 or 30 second steps should be a very convenient way of zapping through adverts. The Toppy does not have these features without the addition of a TAP. The FF and REW speeds have higher maximum speeds than the Toppy.

One thing about the Humax that does concern me is the high number of crashes that have been reported on this unit. If the unit crashes whilst you are away from it and you have programmed recordings to take place while you are away then one of the primary reasons for having a PVR is seriously compromised. For this reason alone I have delayed purchasing a 9200 until I am assured it has an proven and accptable level of reliability.

Colin