Anyone expect Les Mis to win more BAFTA's?

WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
Forum Member
✭✭
Thought it would win more than it did!

Comments

• Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope. The awards went down pretty much as expected, only big surprise was Silver Lining Playbook taking adapted screenplay, Other than Anne Hathaway, it hasn't really won the big prizes, outside of the Golden Globes, where it was in the softer Musical/comedy category away from the really big guns.

Technically, it did win the most awards on the night (four) but of course bar Hathaway they were in the minor categories.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    I hoped it would at least win Outstanding British Film, over Skyfall. And I would have loved to have seen Hugh Jackman win Best Actor, though I knew it was a long shot over Daniel Day Lewis, who was incredible, to be fair.
  • marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,619
    Forum Member
    No I think Les Mis was treated fairly last night. Some technical awards and Anne Hathaway are probably what it deserves and probably what it will pick up on Oscar Night too.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was hoping/expecting it to win Outstanding British film. As good as Hugh's performance was, that's a tough category, so I wasn't expecting him to win. Obviously expected Anne to win and for it to pick up some of the technical awards.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It won in categories where you would expect it to and didn't win in categories it did well to even be nominated in.
  • BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I didn't expect it to win more.....but I did expect a bitter Les Mis fan to start a thread about the fact that it didn't.

Hey presto!!
  • felixrexfelixrex Posts: 7,307
    Forum Member
    Nope. Personally, I'd say they got one more than they deserved in regards to Anne Hathaway.
  • domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    No for me and Anne Hathaway does not deserve any awards.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    Lady Spice wrote: »
    I hoped it would at least win Outstanding British Film, over Skyfall. And I would have loved to have seen Hugh Jackman win Best Actor, though I knew it was a long shot over Daniel Day Lewis, who was incredible, to be fair.

That was never going to happen with it being in Bond's anniversary year last year etc. It is also rumoured that all the Bonds are going to be on stage together at the Oscars in recognition of the 50 years.
    It will be interesting as Sean Connery retired a few years ago and isn't seen in public that often now.

These award ceremonies are pointless and predictable. As soon as the nominations of the first one is announced, (possibly The Golden Globes?) you then look at every other wards and it's pretty much the same names for the same awards and the same films.

I do wonder if the BAFTA'shadn't changed when they were held, they moved to this time of year to be part of the collective and the run up to the Oscars, if half the nominations would be the same.

It would be nice just for one year if one of the awards, whether it's the BAFTA's or even The Screen Actor's Guild ignored all the list that are nominated in the others and had an entirely new list.
    The only recognised awards (meaning not film mags, websites etc) that bucks the trend is the Rhaspberries.
  • ImOnlyWeeImOnlyWee Posts: 11,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seriously people? If ANYONE deserves an award for Les Mis it's Anne Hathaway. Saying she doesn't is madness.

She's won like 28 Critics Awards, Critics Choice Award, Satellie Award, Golden Globe, SAG and BAFTA. Oscar for her and that makes it a clean sweep.

Very well deserved.
    Forum Member
    ImOnlyWee wrote: »
    Seriously people? If ANYONE deserves an award for Les Mis it's Anne Hathaway. Saying she doesn't is madness.

She's won like 28 Critics Awards, Critics Choice Award, Satellie Award, Golden Globe, SAG and BAFTA. Oscar for her and that makes it a clean sweep.

Very well deserved.

She may well have been the most deserving out of Les Miserable, doesn't necessarily mean she was the most deserving overall.
  • ImOnlyWeeImOnlyWee Posts: 11,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I think she does overall. No-one else has had so much buzz and praise around their performance, not even in any of the other categories, apart from maybe Daniel Day Lewis.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daniel D-L doesn't act, he becomes. :p Why he had to make film this year and deprive Hugh of a well deserved Oscar I have no idea.

More than justified though, IMO DDL is our finest living actor and is incomparable in nearly everything he does..Nine and Eversmile New Jersey being a couple of stinkers he's made..

As much as I was rooting for Argo and Ben Afleck to get Best Pic and Director, I didn't think his acting was particuarly worthy of an Oscar/Bafta nod. As to the Academy Awards not recognising him for best director....Puurlease. The film was great, taught and suspenseful, never having heard the escape story before.
    Forum Member
    Well I think she does overall.

Good for you
    No-one else has had so much buzz and praise around their performance, not even in any of the other categories, apart from maybe Daniel Day Lewis.

Thanks for letting me know, I shall immediately change my opinion to match that of others'.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I think she does overall. No-one else has had so much buzz and praise around their performance, not even in any of the other categories, apart from maybe Daniel Day Lewis.

Maybe Daniel Day Lewis?LOL, there is no maybe about it....and that leaves three whole acting categories, wow what an unheard of achievement!;)

I'm not sure there is much in the way of a buzz about her performance, though certainly she was very well reviewed.
  • yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be nice just for one year if one of the awards, whether it's the BAFTA's or even The Screen Actor's Guild ignored all the list that are nominated in the others and had an entirely new list.
    The only recognised awards (meaning not film mags, websites etc) that bucks the trend is the Raspberries.

But you will always see the same films nominated as they are all choosing from the same pool of films. You will always have a core set of 5 or 6 films and then a couple of variances to complete the set.

The Raspberries are always going to be different as they are celebrating a different aspect of the movie industry. Even then I'm sure there have been occasions where someone has been nominated for both for the same role/job.
  • yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tally wrote: »
    Daniel D-L doesn't act, he becomes. :p Why he had to make film this year and deprive Hugh of a well deserved Oscar I have no idea.

More than justified though, IMO DDL is our finest living actor and is incomparable in nearly everything he does..Nine and Eversmile New Jersey being a couple of stinkers he's made

BIB - Agree 100%. Still pissed that he didn't get the Oscar for Gangs of New York (though I confess I didn't see the Pianist so cannot compare to Adrien Brodys performance).
  • bgtensionbgtension Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised it got any!
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, not at all, even a quick glance at how awards season has gone so far would have shown that it wouldn't get any more than it did. And as much as I love it, I don't think it deserved many more either, apart from it being my choice for Outstanding British Film. It would rank number 2 if I were to rank the Oscar Best Picture nominees, and I don't expect it to win.

Muttley76 wrote: »
    only big surprise was Silver Lining Playbook taking adapted screenplay.

I don't think that was a huge surprise tbh...

Lady Spice wrote: »
    I hoped it would at least win Outstanding British Film, over Skyfall.

So did I, I still have no idea why James Bond is so popular, it's never interested me. And I will be groaning when the dirge that is Skyfall inevitably wins the 'Best' Original Song Oscar... :rolleyes:
    tally wrote: »

I don't think Hugh does deserve the Oscar for Les Mis to be honest. Yes, he put so much into the role and for a considerable portion of the movie he's fantastic. But there were some glaring bits where I thought he really wasn't good - Bring Him Home in particular - and that took the edge off his performance for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Hugh does deserve the Oscar for Les Mis to be honest. Yes, he put so much into the role and for a considerable portion of the movie he's fantastic. But there were some glaring bits where I thought he really wasn't good - Bring Him Home in particular - and that took the edge off his performance for me.
    Seriously, I blame that on Tom Hooper. Apparently he did take after take for 12 hours on Bring Him Home. Surely there was a more appropriate one Tom could have used? It still grates. It's supposed to be, and was written as a prayer. It's one of the iconic songs, certainly JVJ major moment. Hugh's preparation was bordering on DDL's method acting, I cannot imagine going 36 hours without drinking as he did so he looked so rough for he opening scenes. That's suffering for your art, and then he gets saddled with a crappy take of BHH . BAH.

But that's why if Daniel hadn't given such a tour de force as Old Abe ( the only good bit in the film as well as maybe Tommy Lee Jones in the distinctly plodding, dull and boring two and a half hours I wasted on Lincoln) is why he deserves the Oscar IMO.