Options

TV Today

Comments

• Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    There is so much choice on tv now a days compared with 30 years ago. Most of what is on the pay channels i hardly anything on bbc and nothing on itv.

I wouldn't mind betting that BBC and ITV staff have a significant hand in what you watch on the pay TV channels though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wittmann44 wrote: »
    It has been suggested that the emphasis of discussion is turning into a Beeb bashing exercise.

Well, so what ! The commercial programs may be considered by some people as crap, but not a penny of our £145.50 goes to them. So we really have no genuine grouse.

Not strictly too, commercial TV is not funded by magic beans....
  • Options
    Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind betting that BBC and ITV staff have a significant hand in what you watch on the pay TV channels though.

I don't think so.
    As I mainly watch american shows.
  • Options
    Beaker17Beaker17 Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    The whole issue of regular channel TV today is that it is crap.

Some members think it is sacrilege to criticise the BBC, Well it certainly is not. We are forced to pay £145.50 each year by Government legislation whether we like it or not. This many Billions of hard earned British money is supposed to give us a television service to be proud of. It does not, it gives us a crap service produced by highly paid Civil Service protected zombies, who live a life of highly paid make believe and have no regard whatsoever for their responsibilities.

OK, the commercial stations do no better, but we do not pay a penny for their performance . We are forced to pay nearly £3 per week to the BBC. So whilst it is our right to moan about anything on the Planet, when you pay for something, it becomes more than your right, it is an injustice.

If you buy something and it is faulty you take it back and complain. You are protected under the trading acts to get a refund or replacement. With the BBC, you are forced to pay £3 per week by law and from then on it is a matter of bugger the public, we have your money , we will do what the hell we like with it.

So please posters, don`t have any sympathy for people who bash the BBC, it is a bashing that is well deserved..

I personally find the BBC as a sanctuary for abuse of public money, wallowing under the protective umbrella of Government legislation to screw the taxpayer as much as possible in order to maintain their lucrative lifestyles and give as little as possible in return..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The whole issue of regular channel TV today is that it is crap.

Some members think it is sacrilege to criticise the BBC, Well it certainly is not. We are forced to pay £145.50 each year by Government legislation whether we like it or not. This many Billions of hard earned British money is supposed to give us a television service to be proud of. It does not, it gives us a crap service produced by highly paid Civil Service protected zombies, who live a life of highly paid make believe and have no regard whatsoever for their responsibilities.

OK, the commercial stations do no better, but we do not pay a penny for their performance . We are forced to pay nearly £3 per week to the BBC. So whilst it is our right to moan about anything on the Planet, when you pay for something, it becomes more than your right, it is an injustice.

If you buy something and it is faulty you take it back and complain. You are protected under the trading acts to get a refund or replacement. With the BBC, you are forced to pay £3 per week by law and from then on it is a matter of bugger the public, we have your money , we will do what the hell we like with it.

So please posters, don`t have any sympathy for people who bash the BBC, it is a bashing that is well deserved..

I personally find the BBC as a sanctuary for abuse of public money, wallowing under the protective umbrella of Government legislation to screw the taxpayer as much as possible in order to maintain their lucrative lifestyles and give as little as possible in return..

You're not "forced" to pay at all, you can opt out and still watch whatever the channels are good enough to provide on catch up. I know many people who have done that.

Oddly, it's the commercial channels that give you no choice.. They are funded by everyone who buys advertised goods albeit indirectly.

Don't want to fund the BBC? Fine, cancel your licence, save some money and watch catch up instead.

Problem solved...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't think so.
    As I mainly watch american shows.

You still pay for the British shows though..... Subscription tv is "great" isn't it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You're not "forced" to pay at all, you can opt out and still watch whatever the channels are good enough to provide on catch up. I know many people who have done that.

Oddly, it's the commercial channels that give you no choice.. They are funded by everyone who buys advertised goods albeit indirectly.

Don't want to fund the BBC? Fine, cancel your licence, save some money and watch catch up instead.

Problem solved...

You have got to be kidding. If you have a TV in Britain, you must pay £145.50 for a colour licence and £49 for black and white, or if the detector van finds you, it is big fines or the Tower of London. They will crucify you.

There is no opt out, you have a TV, you pay and that is that. It is the law of the land. Try opting out of paying 70% tax on every litre of petrol you buy - HUH !

Even blind people have to pay a license fee of £72.75 for colour - that`s a real scream ! They don`t know whether its colour or not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You have got to be kidding. If you have a TV in Britain, you must pay £145.50 for a colour licence and £49 for black and white, or if the detector van finds you, it is big fines or the Tower of London. They will crucify you.

There is no opt out, you have a TV, you pay and that is that. It is the law of the land. Try opting out of paying 70% tax on every litre of petrol you buy - HUH !

Even blind people have to pay a license fee of £72.75 for colour - that`s a real scream ! They don`t know whether its colour or not.

But, for all the bluster, you CAN opt out of the TV licence, many have!

They can then watch catch up TV.

They can't opt out of paying commercial for ad-funded media though.

If you don't want to fund the BBC then you can opt out, you really can.

Our family has a house in the capital that various members use when working in London. We watch our TV there on a tablet or the laptop. See, it can be done.

Not looking forward to the inevitable rebranding of the TV licence to "The broadband Tax" with the government allocating much of the licence to be wasted by private companies - now that really will be something to complain about!
  • Options
    tony-wtony-w Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    Easily done, but the wife is so conditioned she will not let me cancel the TVL.
    If I had my way I would cancel in a heartbeat and simply use catch-up (until that loophole is closed)
    Much like the BBC 'stars' tax loopholes
    They avoid tax and are still free to work at the BBC, avoid your TVL and you are a criminal who deserves everything you get #irony

Gabby Logan being a prime example, she claimed she was 'investing' in a company - lmfao
    Some DM lackeys should investigate her Logan Foundation...But that will never happen!
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given the general state of TV, it's a case of picking a few programmes recording them and watching them when it suits you.

Broadband's a really useful tool, not to watch "some duff programmes and loads of repeats in so many different ways," but to view an increasing number of some watchable vintage films, now appearing on YouTube, whenever you please.
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Bollocks to the TV License argument - that's for a different thread!
    I'm still on the OP's point here - I grew up in the 60's -80's TV. There seemed to be so many more good TV Shows with 3 channels, and later 4.
    Nowadays - ok we have 100's of channels - but me (personally) pick out four or five programmes to record for the day....apart from my soaps on ITV - which I watch LIVE, I end up recording series from the 70's and 80's on UK DRAMA or ITV 3 !!
    I admit I like some of E4's stuff too!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm still on the OP's point here - I grew up in the 60's -80's TV. There seemed to be so many more good TV Shows with 3 channels, and later 4.
    Nowadays - ok we have 100's of channels - but me (personally) pick out four or five programmes to record for the day....apart from my soaps on ITV - which I watch LIVE, I end up recording series from the 70's and 80's on UK DRAMA or ITV 3 !!

I didn't bring the TV Licence into it! That was someone who made a statement about the state of TV, which I believe was just a smokescreen and they they really wanted to go on an anti BBC rant.

He can opt out rather than just moan, many have.
  • Options
    Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I still enjoy watching a lot of programmes on tv that were on years ago but personally I wouldn't like to go back to 3 (or 4) channels as it was then - I echo the thoughts of a previous poster, we watched a lot perhaps because it was a novelty and there were fewer "entertainment" distractions. Some of the shows/progs haven't dated well at all, others have.

Even on a basic Freeview service (as already mentioned) there is plenty of choice, it's not perfect and there's lots of stuff I'd still like to see reappear. As for new progs/shows, again not perfect and schedules overloaded with reality and soaps, but just a minor gripe for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But, for all the bluster, you CAN opt out of the TV licence, many have!

They can then watch catch up TV.

They can't opt out of paying commercial for ad-funded media though.

If you don't want to fund the BBC then you can opt out, you really can.

Our family has a house in the capital that various members use when working in London. We watch our TV there on a tablet or the laptop. See, it can be done.

Not looking forward to the inevitable rebranding of the TV licence to "The broadband Tax" with the government allocating much of the licence to be wasted by private companies - now that really will be something to complain about!

Thanks for the explanation and YES I have checked it out - you can opt out of paying the license, but you are then not allowed to watch live TV. See -
    http://recombu.com/digital/news/how-to-save-not-paying-tv-licence

And an extract from it -

"Once you’ve opted out, you’ll receive confirmation from TV Licensing, but they may pay you a visit at random to verify your claim. You’ll be contacted again in two years to see if you're still not watching live TV. If you are, then prepare to face the consequences - a fine of up to £1,000 and the possibility of earning a criminal record. "
    This method is a pig in a poke and totally useless to 99.999% of viewers.

Sorry its a non-starter and we are back to paying up, either the licence, a huge fine or doing time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the explanation and YES I have checked it out - you can opt out of paying the license, but you are then not allowed to watch live TV. See -
    http://recombu.com/digital/news/how-to-save-not-paying-tv-licence

And an extract from it -

"Once you’ve opted out, you’ll receive confirmation from TV Licensing, but they may pay you a visit at random to verify your claim. You’ll be contacted again in two years to see if you're still not watching live TV. If you are, then prepare to face the consequences - a fine of up to £1,000 and the possibility of earning a criminal record. "
    This method is a pig in a poke and totally useless to 99.999% of viewers.

Sorry its a non-starter and we are back to paying up, either the licence, a huge fine or doing time.

Lots of people HAVE opted out though, so it can be done. Now, you (as I'm sure you're aware) won't be doing time, or getting a fine if you are only watching catch up on a PC or Tablet.

So, opt out and stop paying if you object to it so much. And then bemoan that you can't do the same with the commercial channels...
  • Options
    WhyIsTVSoAwfulWhyIsTVSoAwful Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We keep getting fed how it's "just a few pence a day." It's not, its four billion pounds a year. There's a bit of a difference and I think it could be spent more wisely than some of it is presently.

So it costs a single individual four billion pounds a year? Gee, no wonder we're all poor
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So it costs a single individual four billion pounds a year? Gee, no wonder we're all poor

I presume you're entering into the spirit of the thing and that's a joke and not that you've swallowed the frequently churned out BBC spin to excuse their often profligacy with our hard earned cash?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lots of people HAVE opted out though, so it can be done. Now, you (as I'm sure you're aware) won't be doing time, or getting a fine if you are only watching catch up on a PC or Tablet.

So, opt out and stop paying if you object to it so much. And then bemoan that you can't do the same with the commercial channels...

I must admit, your idea of opting out of paying the license fee and having a TV that you cannot watch television on, is superbly attractive. I am sure that many people will seize the opportunity with grateful thanks..

It would be rather disastrous for this Forum`s TV sections though, go down like a lead balloon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I must admit, your idea of opting out of paying the license fee and having a TV that you cannot watch television on, is superbly attractive. I am sure that many people will seize the opportunity with grateful thanks..

It would be rather disastrous for this Forum`s TV sections though, go down like a lead balloon.

It's a fact that people HAVE done this though.

Besides, You can still have a large computer monitor to replace the TV, and watch catch up in HD. Save yourself the money and stop funding the organisation, and broadband improvements e.t.c

Shame you can't opt of funding commercial media, eh?

At least you have some choice with this one....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's a fact that people HAVE done this though.

Besides, You can still have a large computer monitor to replace the TV, and watch catch up in HD. Save yourself the money and stop funding the organisation, and broadband improvements e.t.c

Shame you can't opt of funding commercial media, eh?

At least you have some choice with this one....

Big yawn, please drop the subject, nobody is interested.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Let us leave the license thingy, but before we do, have a look at this :-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licence

It is quite an interesting eye opener and in parts, a bit of a giggle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Big yawn, please drop the subject, nobody is interested.

You've started a thread to talk about the state of tv today, YOU have then turned it into an anti-Licence fee thread.

I'm telling you of a way that you can stop paying it and STILL watch TV Programmes.

Ergo, YOU obviously ARE intrested in a subject that YOU started!:D

Perhaps not interested in the answer you received though....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You've started a thread to talk about the state of tv today, YOU have then turned it into an anti-Licence fee thread.

I'm telling you of a way that you can stop paying it and STILL watch TV Programmes.

Ergo, YOU obviously ARE intrested in a subject that YOU started!:D

Perhaps not interested in the answer you received though....

OVER AND OUT,
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All I am saying is that there is nothing on today`s TV to kiss the boots of the volume of spectacular shows of yesteryear. Plus of course we have no credible artists today with any outstanding talent. The TV companies cannot produce good quality shows with no artists to fill the bill.
    I notice you never tell us what these fabulous shows were or which artists starred in them.

You've just come here to have a tedious anti-BBC rant, haven't you?

Even the ranting isn't as good as it used to be!
  • Options
    anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This had the possibility of being a good thread but it's been destroyed by the OPs hatred of the BBC and his insistence to only talk about the BBC and the license fee.

Such a waste.