Options

You Buy a Duff Unit (9200T) and it's tough?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
Forum Member
I'm new to PVR's and don't mind admitting it, but it's beginning to really annoy me that it seems almost acceptable/inevitable that the unit does not perform as it should.
My new Humax 9200T continually locks up/freezes which I feel is totally unacceptable. The dealer I bought it off says I should "bear with it" for the time being while the manufacturer does not respond to my emails or phone calls.
It seems that other people are suffering problems like myself but seem to be accepting it.
Surely if you buy "faulty" goods something should be done about it?
I may as well go down the pub later and throw money around the bar for anyone who wants to accept my generosity/stupidity.

Rant over,

Richard

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    Richard

Approximately, how many lock-ups/ freezes have you experienced, say in a 24 hour period? Is there any activity that causes this? ie recording radio, switching between channels, when recording etc etc?

Finally, what is your signal/quality strength??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Theres a lot be said about buying from the high street in these days of etrade to save a few quid. I bought mine from comet, okay it wasnt the cheapest place to get it from but i was glad i did when i did have problems with the unit. Anyone who is still waiting to order there unit should take this into account before they order. I still cant beleave that some etraders are still asking more than comet and getting orders!!! check out the cheek of empiredirect !!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it is faulty your dealer needs to replace it, how long you had it?.

If your dealer is refusing to replace it under the guarentee, the contact your local trainding stardards office.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Strange that others who have contacted Humax have had nothing but praise for the response they received.

A locking up/freezing box is a faulty box, and therefore your dealer should (has no option) but to refund your money.

What have Humax said to you via the telephone?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    From my own experience, I received unit on Tuesday this week, have recorded loads on it, partly to test some of the issues which have occurred raised on the other forum and I have reported bugs and enhancement sggestions to Humax.

My unit has not frozen or locked up once but one step I did take last weekend before receiving the 9200T was to replace my existing aerial for a new one. I use a loft aerial which always gave a reasonable picture on analogue as it has a pretty clear line of sight to the transmitter and was OK for freeview except for the Mux with TMF (I also have an avermedia freeview unit connected to PC monitor). The replacement aerial was just a medium strength wideband from B&Q costing £20 but what a difference.

I would suggest that people at least consider the quality of their current aerial because lock-ups and freezes are an indication of signal problems.

It also needs to remembered that the sophistication of what a PVR is doing is far removed from a VCR. They are not perfect but manufacturers are trying to cover as many bases as possible, but when you read these forums one persons "killer requirement" is anothers "nice to have but don't really care". With a VCR they simply needed to make sure the timer worked and the mechanism didn't chew up the tapes, with a PVR we need it to interact more with what is being broadcast and the broadcasters don't seem to be doing much to assist.

With the 9200T one of the bugs I have reported relates to the problem with recording the first tv programme on a channel from standby or any radio channel from standby. I think this is a high priority to fix but at the same time the "Power on" function allows this to be overcome.
  • Options
    brian9200Tbrian9200T Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The warranty is covered by Pulse Service Centre as per page 13 of the Warranty booklet. I used them for a Mico and when they couldn't solve a problem over the phone they swapped the box within a couple of days. The driver came to the door, removed the new box (no accessories) from the packaging and put my old one in its place.
    Has anyone used this service for the 9200T?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    It is against the sale of goods act for them to refuse to take back the unit they HAVE TO replace it by law you are provided a resonable period to have a replacement issued if yours is faulty and the unit has not been about for that long so your reasonable period is still in effect. If they refuse to take the unit back make sure you have it in writing / voice recording as you can use it to your advantage (if you want to go that far)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Barry wrote:
    Strange that others who have contacted Humax have had nothing but praise for the response they received.

A locking up/freezing box is a faulty box, and therefore your dealer should (has no option) but to refund your money.

What have Humax said to you via the telephone?

Hello Barry,
    I simply haven't been able to get through to Humax. Sent several emails and phoned a few times as well. An Irish voice comes on the line and tries to put you through but in the end says it can't and asks you to leave a message, which I've done, but unfortunately have had no response.
    I guess the unit has locked up 9 or 10 times so far.
    Turbosat have tried to be helpful but suggest that I put up with it for the time being and that Humax may come out with a software upgrade. I'm merely wondering how long I have to put up with it?
    I'm fairly sure it's not a signal strength issue as I've checked this and I'm getting around 75% and an indication of perfect picture quality.

Cheers,

Richard
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    Have you tried the box in a different room to see if there are any interference issues?
    Do you mean by a lock up that the picture breaks up or that the Humax software freezes and the unit has to be power cycled?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    whisper wrote:
    Have you tried the box in a different room to see if there are any interference issues?
    Do you mean by a lock up that the picture breaks up or that the Humax software freezes and the unit has to be power cycled?

Yes, the whole thing freezes you have to turn the power off and on to get it going again. Fairly sure it's not a reception issue.
    Other people are having the same problem I believe.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    Richard82 wrote:
    Hello Barry,
    I simply haven't been able to get through to Humax. Sent several emails and phoned a few times as well. An Irish voice comes on the line and tries to put you through but in the end says it can't and asks you to leave a message, which I've done, but unfortunately have had no response.
    I guess the unit has locked up 9 or 10 times so far.
    Turbosat have tried to be helpful but suggest that I put up with it for the time being and that Humax may come out with a software upgrade. I'm merely wondering how long I have to put up with it?
    I'm fairly sure it's not a signal strength issue as I've checked this and I'm getting around 75% and an indication of perfect picture quality.

Cheers,

Richard

You dont HAVE to put up with it at all. If you choose to return it as faulty, then Turbosat have no choice but to replace or refund (your choice).

However it is true that Humax should come up with a fix for lockups - which will probably be upgraded OTA. Therefore it is a decision for you whether you are prepared to wait for this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    Under the Distance Selling Regulations you are permitted to return an internet purchased item and get a full refund EVEN if there is nothing wrong with it. You have seven days from the day after the day you receive the good to notify the seller you want to send it back.

Effectively this is a right to cancel.

The point of this is that you (or the vendor) does not have to prove a fault exists.

http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/guide/distsell.htm
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard82 wrote:
    Surely if you buy "faulty" goods something should be done about it?
    I may as well go down the pub later and throw money around the bar for anyone who wants to accept my generosity/stupidity.

Rant over,

Richard

Retailers will try it on, if something (like your 9200) doesn't work from day 1 they must exchange or refund, only if it subsequently goes wrong should they try to involve the manufacturer.

If you want to avoid these kinds of debate pay for dodgy purchases by Visa, then you can just tell them to give you your money back otherwise you'll persue through Visa.