Would you be happy for your partner to go on holiday without you?

2»

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldnt mind at all and its not easy to pass up a won trip....i think the only way she would be sad is if he spent loads of money on a holiday with friends when they havent been away together in donkeys or at all because they are too poor (or something to that effect). Otherwise surely his wife would be happy for him? If the holiday is fully paid even more reason why she should be thrilled for him :)
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wouldnt really worry me. If he had the money - he earnt it, can do what he likes with it

But - he would never go on holiday without me. We thrive on spending time together, and the thought of going away without one another isnt one we wish to pursue.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't have a problem with the holiday per se, but does he have any kids? I have two under 4 and while I would be fine with husband going on holiday without me in principle, the idea of being left on my own with two young children for 2 weeks would be daunting and the kids would miss him terribly as 2 weeks is a long time for such young uns, so it would be a consideration.

That said, I wouldn't stop him going, but if there are kids involved then it is worth considering whether it leaves a disproportionately unfair burden on the wife and how any children would react.

This is what I think too, do they have children? Also, if children are school age do they use their holidays to look after them during school holidays?

I'd let my OH go on a short break or at a push 1 week holiday with a friend, especially with it being free and to Vegas as it's too good an opportunity to turn down, BUT 2 weeks is a long time. I would not want my husband taking his main 2 week holiday without his family.

If they're childfree it's less of an issue....
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It wouldn't bother me at all. It strikes me as healthy for couples to have some independence, kids too. When I was a kid, my dad worked abroad for months at a time, from when I was about 3 until I was in my twenties. I sometimes missed him the first week, and then my mother and I just got on with things.

I would expect a partner to be ok with me having holidays away from him - he wouldn't last long as a partner if he didn't. I'd want to go on holiday with him too, but I still want to be able to do my own thing sometimes.
  • KaylanKaylan Posts: 1,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My wife goes away for a week's holiday with her whole family once a year.

It would not bother me, I like my own space, so it suits us. Having said that I do miss my wife when we are apart

As has allread been said, I belive it is healthy for a husband and wife to have some independance from being with each other 24/7.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kaylan wrote: »
    As has allread been said, I belive it is healthy for a husband and wife to have some independance from being with each other 24/7.

But most couples arent together 24/7. I work Monday to Friday 8:30 till 5.30pm. Hubby works shifts so i dont see him all the time, he also works alternate weekends.

Therefore, we value our time spent together. We would hate to be apart more than we have to be.
  • KaylanKaylan Posts: 1,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    But most couples arent together 24/7. I work Monday to Friday 8:30 till 5.30pm. Hubby works shifts so i dont see him all the time, he also works alternate weekends.

Therefore, we value our time spent together. We would hate to be apart more than we have to be.

Then this is good for you and nothing wrong whatsoever.

I was mearly giving my view, based on my situation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm off to America next week to visit some people I used to know when I lived there. Haven't seen them for 10 years so am looking forward to catching up!!

The boyfriend isn't exactly over the moon about it, but that's mainly cos he'll have to cook for himself and sleep in a cold empty bed... Seriously though, it's healthy not to be joined at the hip all the time. And this kind of holiday is not something I'll get to do too often which makes it special and personal to me.

He knows he'd be out on his ear if he tried to stop me! And he knows I'd be mad at him if he passed up the chance to go on a free trip to Vegas with a mate - opportunities like that don't come around too often so enjoy them when you can. If you trust your partner then what's the problem?

I guess the bottom line is don't do anything you wouldn't want your OH to do to you.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »

I guess most people are in the same boat - not everyone spends 24/7 with their partner.

But I still don't like to spend all of my spare time with the OH..... I need the variety of my friends / family... I fully admit that if my OH was the only person I spent time with I'd probably be really unhappy and lonely... He's a smelly boy and I need my girlfriends :D

I am with my OH forever as far as I am concerned so I don't feel the need to spend every spare second with him... Although of course when we haven't spent much time together we naturally miss each other. But I still need my other relationships too...
  • TinpotTinpot Posts: 2,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice and views everyone. :)

I asked him last night and ecstatic would be an understatement. He said today that he talked to his wife and she was fine with it. So all sorted.

To answer the questions he doesn't have any kids, and he's definitely not the type to go behind his wife's back - although he may well blow the mortgage money at blackjack. :p
  • IWantPVRIWantPVR Posts: 8,302
    Forum Member
    Ask his wife first.
  • ogg monsterogg monster Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    Tinpot wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice and views everyone. :)

I asked him last night and ecstatic would be an understatement. He said today that he talked to his wife and she was fine with it. So all sorted.

To answer the questions he doesn't have any kids, and he's definitely not the type to go behind his wife's back - although he may well blow the mortgage money at blackjack. :p

In which case, lucky fella!

If it was my husband I would be jealous, but otherwise fine with him going.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I'd have no problem. My OH has had holidays away with friends and trips home alone (it was too hot for me to go each time). I was only glad that he could enjoy himself, but then I'm quite happy with my own company anyway.

I'm glad you asked your mate after all, OP, have fun. :)