Celebs who say they are single, but aren't

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
Forum Member
I was chatting to a friend who works in television production and he mentioned someone having a great girlfriend. I was surprised as this actor has said in interviews he is single and lonely.

Why would you do that - worried about fans not being interested any more? Or maybe not wanting to discuss the relationship, even to the point of denying having a partner?

Comments

• nats18nats18 Posts: 8,214
    Forum Member
    I think some singers are told to act single even if there not cos it makes them seem more appealing to the fans dunno why as if they are actually gonna get with them even if they are 100% single. Maybe it's the same with actors. I seem to remember in the beginning days of Westlife they were told by the management to be single regardless of what their relationships were like. Or thats what I read in an interview
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart?

I know there are reports flying around all over the place that they're an item, they're engaged, they're moving in together etc, yet Rob has denied being romantically involved with Kristen, while she just point blank refuses to discuss her love life and personal relationships full stop, so who knows?
    Forum Member
    I thought they admitted it a few weeks back
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    I know boy bands have it in their contracts to say they are single to keep the fans interested.

But this guy is in his 30s.
  • If_U_Seek_AmyIf_U_Seek_Amy Posts: 3,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe to keep some privacy. Keira Knighley has denied having a boyfriend in interviews, despite the fact he might be sitting in the background. Not sure about her current one but when she was with her last boyfriend she denied knowing of his exsistance!
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was chatting to a friend who works in television production and he mentioned someone having a great girlfriend. I was surprised as this actor has said in interviews he is single and lonely.

Why would you do that - worried about fans not being interested any more? Or maybe not wanting to discuss the relationship, even to the point of denying having a partner?

I think it's a mix of things, as others have already pointed out: basic PR, keeping interest up for fans so they continue to see someone as 'available', wanting to keep their private life out of the media, and in the case of where a celeb has a non-celeb partner not wanting media attention, keeping it quiet out of respect to them.
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member

I wish you would say who this actor was!!!!

Anyway, who cares after so many public relation stunts lately I am bored with the whole thing. We have had Sinetta and her pregnancy only for it to be denied a few weeks later. It seems these "stars" will say and do anything to advance their careers. I no longer believe much of anything I read about anyone and no longer buy magazines like Hello etc. It seems journalists and agents can say anything they like about a star and then deny it a few days later. Nobody checks facts anymore in the journalist world. Half the time I think they make things up to get a sensational headline. We believe the publicity presented to us about a star, Ronan is a family man and Fern Britton is an earth mother type and then we find out that none of what we have read is true. Fern is depressed, hated being fat and was arrested for drunk driving when she was a young woman and now we are reading all about Ronan!!!!
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    I know boy bands have it in their contracts to say they are single to keep the fans interested.

But this guy is in his 30s.

I remember the actor Richard Chamberlin coming out yet years ago they had headline after headline of his "engagement" to a secretary, loving pics at home etc and now we know he is gay and has lived with a man in Hawaii for over thirty years. You just cannot believe anything that is written about these stars anymore.:rolleyes:
    Forum Member

Comedian/actor - best known as part of a duo.
    Forum Member
    is he deffo an actor cos i got nothing on the actor part but could guess if it was a presenter. Though actually i read he had a gf so nah never mind
    Forum Member
    The post isn't about this particular person, just to get an understanding of why someone would lie about their relationship status. Its not as if they have to answer any questions regarding who they are dating.
  • j24j24 Posts: 3,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nats18 wrote: »
    is he deffo an actor cos i got nothing on the actor part but could guess if it was a presenter. Though actually i read he had a gf so nah never mind

Comedian/actor - best known as part of a duo.

One of the Mitchell & Webb guys maybe???
  • darlingdarling Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    I think it's quite sensible. Unless you're completely committed, and intend to stay together, who would invite the inevitable media intrusion and speculation when you break up by announcing the relationship?

Much better to keep it private unless and until you're ready to make a real commitment.

Also there are people who like to have a long-term steady person in their lives - who they see as a very good friend with benefits rather than a partner. They may be hoping to meet someone they'll fall head over heals in love with, but are happy with the more casual relationship in the meantime. Fine as far as I'm concerned if they're adults and both know the score. Definitely not a relationship you would be sensible to shout to the rooftops though.
  • Tulip19Tulip19 Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted.
  • Tulip19Tulip19 Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    j24 wrote: »

One of the Mitchell & Webb guys maybe???

Or one of the Mighty Boosh. ;)

I can see the reasons why someone would want to keep it quiet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It makes it all a lot easier if the situation arises where one of them cheats too. There is no big media drama if they break up because of it. No martyrs V villian type thing. Everyone just goes about their lives in a private fashion like the rest of us.