Options

Mark Lamarr to leave Radio 2 (Merged)

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    Are we saying The Daily Heil & it's readership and the over-reaction to naughty Jonny Woss & Russell Bwand are responsible for the BBC completely journeying to hell in a handcart?
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, he really ruined 5 Live with it's record audiences of almost 7 million listeners, and he must be on his way out with Radio 2 having maintained a healthy 13 million + listenerssince he took over.
    Yes i suppose with a publc broadcaster like the BBC all that matters is ratings.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    slimjimslimjim Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes i suppose with a publc broadcaster like the BBC all that matters is ratings.:rolleyes:

Well let's be fair - the fact of his success with respect to a listening audience doesn't really mesh with your notion that he's running R2 "into the ground".
  • Options
    MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,903
    Forum Member
    Eight minutes into God's Jukebox this week Mark says that he had to address something that he didn't really want to but it:

"did leak out against my judgement and wishes, although I'm sure whoever did it had the best intentions."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00w8dts/Mark_Lamarr_04_12_2010/

Usual high standard this week, featured CD How Many Roads, Black America sings Bob Dylan with a particularly fine Masters of War from the Staples Singers, ended with The Glory of Love from Lew Stone and his Band from 1936, also played The Flying Burrito Brothers Hot Burrito Number 9 twice to emphasize how good it is.

Bob Harris has said on the Whispers messageboard that he "unwittingly" began a train of events and later learnt that the message was not intended for publication.
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    slimjim wrote: »
    Well let's be fair - the fact of his success with respect to a listening audience doesn't really mesh with your notion that he's running R2 "into the ground".
    I don't recall saying he was.:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    I've been away on holiday for 2 weeks, and to come back to news that the only radio shows I look forward to are going is worse than the weather.

What did Mark say about it on God's Jukebox? (sorry, I can't get iplayer to work).
  • Options
    TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    For me its not so much the music issues. Its the fact that its the presenters with 'bite' and creativity in their styles that are going. .

Just listen to Graham Norton-a supposed replacement for Jonathan Ross in terms of the Saturday morning slot being regarded as a key one for drawing new listeners into the station. Graham Norton in his earlier days was well capable of being sharp and witty. Instead now listening to him feels like your mum washing your face with a warm flannel-well meaning but safe and embarrassing.

The same goes for Paul O'Grady-anyone who remembers Lily Savage's early performances-or even him sitting in for Jonathan Ross a few years ago- must be amazed at the dull,safe nostalgic feel of his show.

Bob Shennan's concept of a good Radio Two presenter seems to be Richard Madeley. Save us .....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've been away on holiday for 2 weeks, and to come back to news that the only radio shows I look forward to are going is worse than the weather.

What did Mark say about it on God's Jukebox? (sorry, I can't get iplayer to work).

That the programme was about the music not him, this week when he did a round up of sessions he said that he couldn't think of another station that would have allowed him to bring such a range of non-mainstream music to a national audience.

The implication is that he had no intention of making any public comments which would provide a focus for a debate on Radio 2's policy on music and/or presenters, which is what has happened.
  • Options
    tongs ya basstongs ya bass Posts: 731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a pompous arse
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bob Harris has posted this to his Whispers messageboard:

I'm going to be taking over the God's Jukebox slot on Friday nights for three months, starting on 7th January...with Mark's blessing.

I'll be doing my best to keep to the tradition of the programme and plan to raid my CD and vinyl collection for the most interesting music I can find...so there'll be more oldies, interspersed with the best of the new stuff. It will definitely sound different from the Country and Saturday night shows, beginning with an all-UK mix...some psychedelia, progressive, folk, skiffle and anything else that seems to fit.

I really wish Mark was still going to be doing the show in the new year but he's glad, at least, that it's me taking over.
    I'll do my very best to live up to what I've thought for years to be the most interesting and creative music show on the radio.

http://www.bobharris.org/whispers/default.asp
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Bob do this slot a few years ago?????
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More changes at Radio 2 in April?
  • Options
    Billy BirdBilly Bird Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    More changes at Radio 2 in April?

I got the impression it was the earliest Huey could start once he's finished covering for Lady L on 6Music and had a bit of a break.
  • Options
    TheDemiurgeTheDemiurge Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MikeBr wrote: »
    Bob Harris has posted this to his Whispers messageboard:

I'm going to be taking over the God's Jukebox slot on Friday nights for three months, starting on 7th January...with Mark's blessing.

I'll be doing my best to keep to the tradition of the programme and plan to raid my CD and vinyl collection for the most interesting music I can find...so there'll be more oldies, interspersed with the best of the new stuff. It will definitely sound different from the Country and Saturday night shows, beginning with an all-UK mix...some psychedelia, progressive, folk, skiffle and anything else that seems to fit.

I really wish Mark was still going to be doing the show in the new year but he's glad, at least, that it's me taking over.
    I'll do my very best to live up to what I've thought for years to be the most interesting and creative music show on the radio.

http://www.bobharris.org/whispers/default.asp

Look forward to listening to this and I'm sure Bob will do a great job.