Doc Martin (Part 17 — Spoilers)

Comments

• MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    One of the local pbs stations from Long Island had a pledge drive before Christmas and they offered a dvd of DM Behind the Scenes Collection which runs about 74 minutes and does interviews from S5 (which have appeared on the S5 Blogspot) and S6. There were two presenters to show the viewers certain things about Port Isaac. It was first basically founded in 1500's and some of the present buildings date back to 1700's. The streets are narrow because land travel at that time was done by donkey and cart. At one part Philippa took David Rubenstein (one of the presenters) into the grain barn which they have converted into the interior of doc's surgery. In walking around the examining room, Rubenstein pointed out to PB the gold Buddha on the mantle. She only commented that they get quite alot of letters about it, it is seen in every series, and they are never going to tell you about the significance of that prop! So there we are. I, for one, think that at some point down the road when they know the series will be ending they will reveal why they made the Buddha a part of the set props.

That Philippa is so protective of the story. I love the way she embraces the importance of every detail such as,"When he puts the suit on, even I believe he is The Doc". It's a story for people that don't want to think and it's a story with so many layers and subtleties that it causes us to spend hours on the internet discussing and debating.

Somehow I don't see Christopher and Margaret having Buddhas. Sculptures or Ming vases and ridiculously expensive paintings...but not Buddha.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    Mofromco wrote: »
    That Philippa is so protective of the story. I love the way she embraces the importance of every detail such as,"When he puts the suit on, even I believe he is The Doc". It's a story for people that don't want to think and it's a story with so many layers and subtleties that it causes us to spend hours on the internet discussing and debating.

Somehow I don't see Christopher and Margaret having Buddhas. Sculptures or Ming vases and ridiculously expensive paintings...but not Buddha.

Considering how many personal MC/PB things have been included in the stories, I guess I'm not surprised. I must have missed that part of the interview during the PBS fundraising last month when they showed the behind the scenes stuff. I guess I'd rather not know those "personal" or "insider" jokes if that's what it's going to be. If that's the case with the Buddha, then it kind of pisses me off they even used it. I don't like to be teased.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzie_cUS wrote: »
    I hope when they do decide to wrap up DM, the storylines give us the background behind all of these weird little things that were never explained, like the Buddha's and the clocks and sensitivity with his hand, etc.

I must have missed or forgotten something. To what are you referring?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    I must have missed or forgotten something. To what are you referring?

Same here...the fact that he injures his palm a couple times?
    Forum Member
    Same here...the fact that he injures his palm a couple times?

Yes, and then when his mom touches his hand/wrist and he drops the plate. The same hand gets cut once by broken glass that he falls on and then again with that knife and the nutjob who was after AR. I can't remember off hand if there was one other.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, and then when his mom touches his hand/wrist and he drops the plate. The same hand gets cut once by broken glass that he falls on and then again with that knife and the nutjob who was after AR. I can't remember off hand if there was one other.

I always have wondered about the symbolism of his helping Louisa pick up the glass from the bloody mess Holly left. It seems like a very important gesture but it beats the heck out of me how it fits in.
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always have wondered about the symbolism of his helping Louisa pick up the glass from the bloody mess Holly left. It seems like a very important gesture but it beats the heck out of me how it fits in.

Plus the broken glass jar with the butterfly in it when he was a boy followed by the Venetian glass tumer that Louisa accidentally broke. He helped Louisa clean that up. We never see what happens after he breaks the jar in his dad's office. Maybe we have an idea, though, from the way his mother reacted to the broken plate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    Plus the broken glass jar with the butterfly in it when he was a boy followed by the Venetian glass tumer that Louisa accidentally broke. He helped Louisa clean that up. We never see what happens after he breaks the jar in his dad's office. Maybe we have an idea, though, from the way his mother reacted to the broken plate.

Whatever happened and when, there had to be blood all over the place...in his mouth, in his nose, on his face and he had to remain that way and suffer......that's my thought.
  • ZarwenZarwen Posts: 249
    Forum Member

In previous discussions, folks have suggested that scene was symbolic of "picking up the pieces" of their broken relationship. It has also been suggested that, when M extends the paper towel full of broken and bloody glass to L, he is symbolically offering her his broken heart.

Maybe the use of broken glass throughout the series is meant to symbolize the fragility of M's heart; both have a hard surface but can be shattered.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Zarwen wrote: »
    In previous discussions, folks have suggested that scene was symbolic of "picking up the pieces" of their broken relationship. It has also been suggested that, when M extends the paper towel full of broken and bloody glass to L, he is symbolically offering her his broken heart.

Maybe the use of broken glass throughout the series is meant to symbolize the fragility of M's heart; both have a hard surface but can be shattered.

Oh yes.... Everything you are saying rings so true for me. Add to that the breaking of the plate when his mother touches his hand.....she who is the most responsible for breaking his heart. Oh dear, I hope he finds some healing in S7, because he is breaking MY heart.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NYDMFAN wrote: »
    Oh yes.... Everything you are saying rings so true for me. Add to that the breaking of the plate when his mother touches his hand.....she who is the most responsible for breaking his heart. Oh dear, I hope he finds some healing in S7, because he is breaking MY heart.

Broken glass...lots of blood...maybe mummy...lots of factors in the scenario....add in the frog...live or dissected. The scenario could be anything. Daddy threatening that he could have killed his mother with his foolishness..that he was lucky that she didn't die.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    robspace54 wrote: »
    A good bit of snogging there and I mean GOOD! :) Affection went off the rails in Series 3, unfortunately for us.

Quite agree, Rob! We have had two series now with a lack of physical affection - even off-screen physical intimacy implied. Why?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope when they do decide to wrap up DM, the storylines give us the background behind all of these weird little things that were never explained, like the Buddha's and the clocks and sensitivity with his hand, etc.

Let me take a guess about the first two:

• The Buddha is an ironic juxtaposition of the "Chinese God of Happiness" with the dour and unhappy Doc.

• Clocks allude to what they always symbolize in art, still lives et al: memento mori, the passage of time and the inevitability of death.
    Forum Member
    Let me take a guess about the first two:

• The Buddha is an ironic juxtaposition of the "Chinese God of Happiness" with the dour and unhappy Doc.

• Clocks allude to what they always symbolize in art, still lives et al: memento mori, the passage of time and the inevitability of death.

Ah, but the Doc's clocks are broken! I think I recall a reviewer once referring to "a life stuck in time," or something like that. Again, this takes us back to his comment about his grandfather's/AJ's clock: "If I can get it going again, it could be quite valuable."

Or, perhaps restarting the broken clocks is a reference to all the lives he has saved, thus defying "the inevitability of death"?:confused::):)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite agree, Rob! We have had two series now with a lack of physical affection - even off-screen physical intimacy implied. Why?

If BP decided to ramp-up the "grumpy" parts then the Doc can't be very tender can he? They also seemed to want to play for the rudeness rather than the sweetness.

I personally think that BP has not been writing for the audience, or considering why the lack of snogging, or touching, can affect the whole. My wife keeps asking (about Louisa), "How can she stand the guy? He'd not grumpy - he's just rude and mean." That is her thinking on Series 4 and 5.

Series 7 has to do two things: get the Doc healed and get them relating to one another at the level that brought them together in the first place (i.e. as in Series 3)!
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, but the Doc's clocks are broken! I think I recall a reviewer once referring to "a life stuck in time," or something like that. Again, this takes us back to his comment about his grandfather's/AJ's clock: "If I can get it going again, it could be quite valuable."

Or, perhaps restarting the broken clocks is a reference to all the lives he has saved, thus defying "the inevitability of death"?:confused::):)

There was also the clock at the end of S5E6 -- when Martin sits down to repair it, trying to deny/repress his pain at Louisa leaving, he finds that the mainspring is broken.
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If BP decided to ramp-up the "grumpy" parts then the Doc can't be very tender can he? They also seemed to want to play for the rudeness rather than the sweetness.

I personally think that BP has not been writing for the audience, or considering why the lack of snogging, or touching, can affect the whole. My wife keeps asking (about Louisa), "How can she stand the guy? He'd not grumpy - he's just rude and mean." That is her thinking on Series 4 and 5.

Series 7 has to do two things: get the Doc healed and get them relating to one another at the level that brought them together in the first place (i.e. as in Series 3)!

I think Louisa understands Martin more than we are led to think. In the speech at the end of S5E8, she tells the doc to tell Mrs. T. "that he is a difficult person", which he is. He is a challenge for her. I don't recall any scene where he is rude or mean to Louisa directly, exasperated with her, yes, but not rude or mean. We can't bring them back to the level of S3--- you can't play life backwards. There are many times I think underlying all this sadness about him is that fire in his belly to want to get back to being a surgeon; but now that he is the GP for 900 plus people in PW who have poor lifestyles about taking care of their health, he has a duty of care for the villagers. Also, the love of Louisa and JH, his marriage not going well. Alot on his plate I would say.
    Forum Member
    marchrand wrote: »
    I think Louisa understands Martin more than we are led to think. In the speech at the end of S5E8, she tells the doc to tell Mrs. T. "that he is a difficult person", which he is. He is a challenge for her. I don't recall any scene where he is rude or mean to Louisa directly, exasperated with her, yes, but not rude or mean. We can't bring them back to the level of S3--- you can't play life backwards. There are many times I think underlying all this sadness about him is that fire in his belly to want to get back to being a surgeon; but now that he is the GP for 900 plus people in PW who have poor lifestyles about taking care of their health, he has a duty of care for the villagers. Also, the love of Louisa and JH, his marriage not going well. Alot on his plate I would say.

He does tell her while she's in a pre-med state that "I'd like to be much better at it" referring to being married. It's already proven that he's an outstanding surgeon and GP so there's not necessarily need for improvement there. He's even been a good caregiver to JH (harken back to the end of S4 when he was born when Louisa said "you could learn" and he said "I guess I could"--well to me it's obvious he did learn). Where he does need improvement is with Louisa and it is something I think he CAN learn to do.
    Forum Member

Something must change and it's not changes to him as a physician or a surgeon, it's about the ME beneath or without the doctors coat. Changes need to come to ME the person whom Louisa is married to and the one she is with. The ME that we saw falling in love with Louisa is not the ME we see now. Only in S6E1 and again after the accident and throughout S6E8 do we see a look in his eyes of his love for Louisa. It's more of a pained look of love rather than a tender look of anticipation that we saw throughout S3.

As far as being DM the GP, he is still spot on grumpy as the poop-goofy villager ailments continue to walk through the door. Even the banter between he and Morwenna is still classic DM.
    Forum Member

I didn't read this discussion board that far back but it makes total sense.
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't read this discussion board that far back but it makes total sense.

"Picking up the pieces" was my comment back then I believe and I still see that scene the same way. Otherwise why bother to show him doing that or her joining in to help. Great metaphor for their relationship.:)

I like Zarwen's giving his broken heart bit, too.
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He does tell her while she's in a pre-med state that "I'd like to be much better at it" referring to being married. It's already proven that he's an outstanding surgeon and GP so there's not necessarily need for improvement there. He's even been a good caregiver to JH (harken back to the end of S4 when he was born when Louisa said "you could learn" and he said "I guess I could"--well to me it's obvious he did learn). Where he does need improvement is with Louisa and it is something I think he CAN learn to do.

Well said, and thanks for the synopsis of his "learning".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And, truth be said, Martin checked Aunt Joan's clock the morning Louisa left...very specifically and it was one minute fast. It actually wasn't perfectly fixed. Some say that was meaningless....but if it was, why show it? He hadn't fixed it perfectly. I'm bad, but I love this stuff. BP is brilliant.
    Forum Member
    And, truth be said, Martin checked Aunt Joan's clock the morning Louisa left...very specifically and it was one minute fast. It actually wasn't perfectly fixed. Some say that was meaningless....but if it was, why show it? He hadn't fixed it perfectly. I'm bad, but I love this stuff. BP is brilliant.

Cerebral!
    Forum Member
    "Picking up the pieces" was my comment back then I believe and I still see that scene the same way. Otherwise why bother to show him doing that or her joining in to help. Great metaphor for their relationship.:)

I like Zarwen's giving his broken heart bit, too.

Thanks, Susie, but I can't take credit--it was someone else's idea, I just can't remember whose! :p
This discussion has been closed.