Radio Sports Commentators and Reporters 2013/14 (non-football)

Comments

• The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monday 1st September (Labor Day) - ESPN Radio

Baseball Tonight presented by Kevin Winter (first game) and John Brickley (second game) from Bristol, CT

Major League Baseball: American League
    Seattle Mariners @ Oakland Athletics (4pm ET) - Roxy Bernstein and Jim Bowden
    Texas Rangers @ Kansas City Royals (8pm ET) - Adam Amin and Chris Singleton

During the final weekend of August, ESPN Radio broadcast commentary on both Saturday and Sunday night's Cleveland Indians @ Kansas City Royals games with their usual pairing of Jon Sciambi and Chris Singleton in the booth. Their Baseball Tonight studio hosts were John Ryder on Saturday and Kevin Winter on Sunday.

No such games are listed on the MLB on ESPN Radio webpage yet, but the final month of the MLB regular season will hopefully see ESPN Radio starting to broadcast live commentaries on midweek games. This has happened in all of the previous years since their broadcasts first started being streamed online, what with ESPN Radio's extensive college football coverage on Saturdays pushing the Saturday Game of the Week off many of their affiliate stations.
  • Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2014/15 thread now started (since the new season has started for rugby union competitions).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm of the thinking that posts detailing the 2014 county cricket, rugby league, speedway and baseball seasons should remain in this thread. I have always started a new thread at the beginning of November when all of those sports have seen their seasons come to their conclusion. It's only the rugby union and American football seasons that get under way in September, so in the past I have tended to hold fire on starting a new thread until then.
  • connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm of the thinking that posts detailing the 2014 county cricket, rugby league, speedway and baseball seasons should remain in this thread. I have always started a new thread at the beginning of November when all of those sports have seen their seasons come to their conclusion. It's only the rugby union and American football seasons that get under way in September, so in the past I have tended to hold fire on starting a new thread until then.

I agree.
    Forum Member
    BBC WM

Monday 1st September

Elite League Speedway
    Mike Taylor: Wolverhampton Wolves v Leicester Tigers

Tuesday 2nd September

National League Speedway
    Mike Taylor & Richard Wilford (Pits): Cradley Heathens v Devon

Wednesday 3rd September

Elite League Speedway
    Mike Taylor & Richard Wilford (Pits): Poole Pirates v Wolverhampton Wolves
  • shaun_dshaun_d Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Have you or anyone else seen anything to confirm there is UK radio coverage this season? I haven't heard a mention of it on absolute radio and can't see anything on their website or the NFL UK website to suggest that there will be. Also Darren Fletcher tweeted a while back that he hasn't been asked to be involved with anything this year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shaun_d wrote: »
    Have you or anyone else seen anything to confirm there is UK radio coverage this season? I haven't heard a mention of it on absolute radio and can't see anything on their website or the NFL UK website to suggest that there will be. Also Darren Fletcher tweeted a while back that he hasn't been asked to be involved with anything this year.

I haven't heard anything about UK radio coverage of the NFL. I can't find any information about any potential coverage on Absolute Radio 90s, the NFL page of the Absolute website is still there but hasn't been updated since before Super Bowl XLVIII and all I could find on Twitter was a few unanswered questions from listeners sent to Absolute's Twitter account and Will Gavin, the host of their NFL coverage during the second half of last season.

Sadly it looks increasingly likely that the NFL won't be receiving regular live coverage on UK radio this season. In the absence of any live coverage elsewhere, I'd hope BBC Radio 5 Live would think about picking up commentary rights to the Super Bowl itself, as they said they would be doing with the World Series back in the spring despite having ended Radio 5 Live Sports Extra's weekly Major League Baseball coverage this year.
  • 4-4-24-4-2 Posts: 5,413
    Forum Member
    BBC RADIO LEICESTER

PREMIERSHIP RUGBY
    Leicester Tigers v Newcastle - Mike McCarthy presenting from Welford Road, with Bleddyn Jones and Steve Johnson (commentary)
    Saracens v Wasps - Russell Hargreaves
    Forum Member
    Sunday 31st August - Wednesday 3rd September

LV County Championship Cricket Division 1

BBC Newcastle & BBC Nottingham
    Martin Emmerson, Dave Bracegirdle & David Townsend: Durham v Nottinghamshire

BBC Manchester, BBC Lancashire, BBC Yorkshire Stations & BBC 5 Live Sports Extra (Not day 3)
    Scott Read, David Sleight, Dave Callaghan & Kevin Howells: Lancashire v Yorkshire

BBC London, BBC Coventry & Warwickshire & BBC WM
    Kevin Hand, Clive Eakin (Not day 2), Lizzy Ammon (Day 2) & Brian Halford: Middlesex v Warwickshire

BBC Somerset, BBC Bristol & BBC Northampton
    Anthony Gibson & Chris Egerton: Somerset v Northamptonshire

Lv County Championship Cricket Division 2

BBC Derby & BBC Hereford & Worcester
    Iain O'Brien & Dave Bradley: Derbyshire v Worcestershire

BBC Solent & BBC Leicester
    Kevan James, Allan Mulley & Richard Rea: Hampshire v Leicestershire

BBC Kent & BBC Wales

Peter Guise, Ed Bevan & Lizzy Ammon (Day 3 & 4)
  • thelastwordthelastword Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    BBC Test Match Special- India v. England, The ODIs (5 match series)

Commentators: Jonathan Agnew (3-5), Charles Dagnall (2-5), Simon Mann (1-2, 5), Ed Smith (1-3), Alison Mitchell (1 & 4), Henry Blofeld (3) and Simon Hughes (4)

Summarisers: Michael Vaughan (1, 4 & 5), Vic Marks (1-4) , Graeme Swann (1 & 2, 4), Phil Tufnell (3 & 4), Ebony Rainford-Brent (1 & 5), Isa Guha (2 & 3), Alec Stewart (4) and Steven Harmison (5)

Alison Mitchell was advertised as commentating on the 2nd game, but did not appear. Malcolm Ashton resumed scoring duties, replacing Andrew Samson.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shaun_d wrote: »

Not sure if you'll have already seen this Shaun, but you might be interested to learn that Simon Crosse - who as director of USP Content was the producer of BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra's coverage of the NFL and MLB and BBCi's coverage of Monday Night Football in 2012 - will be producing Channel 4's Sunday Night Football coverage this season. He's working for North One, who have taken over the C4 NFL production contract from Sunset + Vine.

Although USP Content produced Absolute Radio 90s' NFL coverage last season, I don't think Crosse was involved - going by his LinkedIn page, he'd left USP Content by the start of the 2013/14 season to produce the Colin Murray & Friends mid-morning show on talkSPORT for the first year of its run, which he's only recently left presumably in order to produce C4 NFL and also shows for BT Sport (with C4's SNF studio coverage due to be will be filmed in their studios apparently). Crosse still produces Fighting Talk on Radio 5 Live according to that page though.
    Forum Member
    Sunday 31st August - Wednesday 3rd September

BBC Somerset, BBC Bristol & BBC Northampton
    Anthony Gibson, Chris Egerton (Day 1 & 2) & Stephen Lamb (Day 4): Somerset v Northamptonshire
    Just read on Twitter that Chris had to go back to the midlands due to a family illness on the morning of day 3 so it was just Anthony there for that day and day 4 it was Stephen who Stood in for Chris and normal follow some of Somerset's games
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    talkSPORT

Thursday 7th to Saturday 9th August

Cricket: Fourth Test Match
    England v India - Jon Norman, with Jack Bannister providing end-of-session summaries

Alan Brazil and Dominic Cork presented that Thursday morning's edition of the Sports Breakfast from Old Trafford ahead of the start of the Test Match.

Thursday 7th to Sunday 10th August

Golf: The US PGA Championship
    Valhalla Golf Club, Louisville, Kentucky - Bob Bubka

Friday 15th to Sunday 17th August

Cricket: Fifth Test Match
    England v India - Jon Norman (Friday and Sunday) and Guy Swindells (Saturday), with Jack Bannister providing end-of-session summaries

Saturday 23rd August

Cricket: T20 Blast Finals Day
    Warwickshire v Surrey, Hampshire v Lancashire & Warwickshire v Lancashire - Russell Hargreaves

Rugby League: Challenge Cup Final
    Castleford Tigers v Leeds Rhinos - Richard Shaw-Wright

Sunday 24th August

Formula 1: Belgian Grand Prix
    Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps - Geoff Peters

Monday 25th August to Monday 8th September

Tennis: US Open
    Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, New York - Kate Partridge, Lynsey Hooper and Katy Murrells

As for the daily breakdown of reporters, Kate Patridge covered all five weekdays of the first week and the Monday and Tuesday of the second week. As far as I heard they didn't carry live updates on either day of the first weekend. Lynsey Hooper reported on the second Wednesday, Katy Murrells covered the second Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday's women's singles final, with Hooper returning to cover the men's singles final on Monday.

Wednesday 27th August to Friday 5th September

Cricket: One-Day International Series
    England v India - Guy Swindells, with Jack Bannister providing end-of-innings summaries (all four games)

Not sure who would have covered the First One-Day International on Monday 25th August as it was abandoned without a ball being bowled, meaning they did not have call to take a single update. You'd imagine Guy Swindells would have been on reporting duty given that he covered the four other ODIs that took place.

Friday 5th September

Rugby Union: Premiership
    Northampton Saints v Gloucester - Simon Ward

Saturday 6th September

Rugby Union: Premiership
    Saracens v London Wasps & London Irish v Harlequins (Twickenham) - Russell Hargreaves

Formula 1: Italian Grand Prix Qualifying
    Autodromo Nazionale Monza - Graham Courtney

Sunday 7th September

Cricket: Twenty20 International
    England v India - Clive Edwards, with Jack Bannister providing end-of-innings summaries

Formula 1: Italian Grand Prix
    Autodromo Nazionale Monza - Graham Courtney

Tennis: US Open Women's Singles Final
    Serena Williams v Caroline Wozniacki - Katy Murrells

Monday 8th September

Tennis: US Open Men's Singles Final
    Kei Nishikori v Marin Cilic - Lynsey Hooper
    Forum Member
    BBC WM

Monday 8th September

Elite League Speedway
    Mike Taylor: Wolverhampton Wolves v Eastbourne Eagles

Tuesday 9th September

National League Knockout Cup Speedway
    Mike Taylor & Richard Wilford (Pits): Cradley Heathens v Coventry Strom

Royal London Cup Semi Finals

Thursday 4th September

BBC WM, BBC Coventry & Warwickshire & BBC 5 Live Sports Extra
    Richard Wilford, Clive Eakin, Kevin Howells & Phil Britt: Warwickshire v Kent

BBC Kent
    Peter Guise, Ben Watts & Lizzy Ammon: Warwickshire v Kent

Saturday 6th September

BBC Newcastle & BBC Nottingham
    Martin Emmerson, Dave Bracegirdle, Paul Johnson & David Townsend: Durham v Nottinghamshire

BBC 5 Live Sports Extra
    Simon Mann, Kevin Howells, Graham Onions, Marcus North & Darren Bicknell: Durham v Nottinghamshire
    Forum Member
    Tuesday 9th September - Friday 12th September

BBC London & BBC Newcastle
    Kevin Hand, Martin Emmerson & David Townsend: Middlesex v Durham

BBC Nottingham, BBC Yorkshire Stations & BBC 5 Live Sport Extra - first 3 days
    Dave Bracegirdle, Dave Callaghan, David Fletcher (Day 3), Kevin Howells & Lizzy Ammon (Day 3): Nottinghamshire v Yorkshire

BBC Nottingham Day 4
    Dave Bracegirdle & Lizzy Ammon: Nottinghamshire v Yorkshire

BBC Leeds & Yorkshire Stations Day 4
    Dave Callaghan & David Fletcher: Nottinghamshire v Yorkshire

BBC 5LSE Day 4
    Kevin Howells: Nottinghamshire v Yorkshire

BBC Sussex, BBC Manchester & BBC Lancashire
    Adrian Harms, Scott Read, David Sleight & Liz Coster: Sussex v Lancashire

BBC WM, BBC Coventry & Warwickshire & BBC Northampton
    Clive Eakin (Not day 4), Mike Taylor (Day 4), Phil Britt, Chris Egerton (Not day 3) & Lizzy Ammon (Day 3)

LV County Championship Cricket Division 2

BBC Essex & BBC Kent
    Paul Newton, Dick Davies & Matt Cole: Essex v Kent

BBC Wales & BBC Derby
    Ed Bevan & Iain O'Brien: Glamorgan v Derbyshire

BBC Bristol, BBC Gloucestershire & BBC Leicester
    Bob Hunt & Richard Rea: Gloucestershire v Leicestershire

BBC Hereford & Worcester & BBC London
    Dave Bradley, Mark Church & Johnny Barren: Worcestershire v Surrey
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tuesday 9th September - Friday 12th September

BBC Nottingham, BBC Yorkshire Stations & BBC 5 Live Sport Extra - first 3 days
    Dave Bracegirdle, Dave Callaghan, David Fletcher (Day 3), Kevin Howells & Lizzy Ammon (Day 3): Nottinghamshire v Yorkshire

BBC Nottingham Day 4
    Dave Bracegirdle & Lizzy Ammon: Nottinghamshire v Yorkshire

BBC Leeds & Yorkshire Stations Day 4
    Dave Callaghan & David Fletcher: Nottinghamshire v Yorkshire

BBC 5LSE Day 4
    Kevin Howells: Nottinghamshire v Yorkshire

Having listened to BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra's coverage of Nottinghamshire v Yorkshire on Thursday and having just caught up with their Friday broadcast on the iPlayer, to add to your post on this that with Yorkshire's impending County Championship victory looking increasingly likely, it was only decided during play on Thursday that BBC Yorkshire would be providing their own White Rose-slanted commentary on the final day of the match as a separate webstream.

Dave Fletcher - usually BBC Radio Leeds' Bradford City FC commentator - actually arrived at Trent Bridge during the final session of Thursday's play and as you say was heard on 5LSE on day three before being part of the BBC Yorkshire webstream with Dave Callaghan on Friday. On both days they were also joined in the box by a number of Yorkshire players who were not in action, including Andrew Gale and Liam Plunkett.

To slightly correct what you've posted, Lizzy Ammon wasn't part of the joint Notts-Yorks-5LSE team on Thursday, going by her Twitter she was at Warwickshire that day instead, but she did join Dave Bracegirdle for BBC Radio Nottingham's online service on Friday in the absence of their Yorkshire counterparts. On Friday, BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra took the BBC Radio Nottingham online service with Kevin Howells doing continuity around it for part of the morning, before opting out to do their own commentary with Howells and Andy Wilson from The Guardian as Yorkshire clinched the title.

On a general note, I've really enjoyed what I've heard of BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra's county cricket coverage this summer. In many ways I prefer BBC Radio's county cricket broadcasts to Test Match Special, what with its more understated style, the wide array of different voices heard and its regional feel. I think Kevin Howells, the mainstay of 5LSE's coverage, is a particularly excellent broadcaster and with a number of newer voices joining the TMS team over the past 12 months or so, I can't help but feel that the BBC are missing a trick in not having given him the opportunity to commentate on England beyond his studio-based "night watchman" continuity role during their coverage of England's winter tours.

I know we still have a couple of rounds of County Championship matches to go, but I must congratulate you Connor on doing an excellent job in consistently compiling details of BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra and BBC Local Radio's county cricket coverage this summer. I always find it interesting to read who's been covering what game, so your posts have certainly been much appreciated at my end.
    Forum Member
    Having listened to BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra's coverage of Nottinghamshire v Yorkshire on Thursday and having just caught up with their Friday broadcast on the iPlayer, to add to your post on this that with Yorkshire's impending County Championship victory looking increasingly likely, it was only decided during play on Thursday that BBC Yorkshire would be providing their own White Rose-slanted commentary on the final day of the match as a separate webstream.

Dave Fletcher - usually BBC Radio Leeds' Bradford City FC commentator - actually arrived at Trent Bridge during the final session of Thursday's play and as you say was heard on 5LSE on day three before being part of the BBC Yorkshire webstream with Dave Callaghan on Friday. On both days they were also joined in the box by a number of Yorkshire players who were not in action, including Andrew Gale and Liam Plunkett.

To slightly correct what you've posted, Lizzy Ammon wasn't part of the joint Notts-Yorks-5LSE team on Thursday, going by her Twitter she was at Warwickshire that day instead, but she did join Dave Bracegirdle for BBC Radio Nottingham's online service on Friday in the absence of their Yorkshire counterparts. On Friday, BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra took the BBC Radio Nottingham online service with Kevin Howells doing continuity around it for part of the morning, before opting out to do their own commentary with Howells and Andy Wilson from The Guardian as Yorkshire clinched the title.

On a general note, I've really enjoyed what I've heard of BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra's county cricket coverage this summer. In many ways I prefer BBC Radio's county cricket broadcasts to Test Match Special, what with its more understated style, the wide array of different voices heard and its regional feel. I think Kevin Howells, the mainstay of 5LSE's coverage, is a particularly excellent broadcaster and with a number of newer voices joining the TMS team over the past 12 months or so, I can't help but feel that the BBC are missing a trick in not having given him the opportunity to commentate on England beyond his studio-based "night watchman" continuity role during their coverage of England's winter tours.

I know we still have a couple of rounds of County Championship matches to go, but I must congratulate you Connor on doing an excellent job in consistently compiling details of BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra and BBC Local Radio's county cricket coverage this summer. I always find it interesting to read who's been covering what game, so your posts have certainly been much appreciated at my end.

When I put Lizzy I meant to put not no day 3. Sorry :blush:.

I have been enjoying listening to all the BBC local radio stations coverage of county cricket this year. As always the most commentaries I listen to is Warwickshire's but unlike pervious season when I have only listened to other commentaries when they are not playing I have been flicking between them all.

Does anyone if DT (Dave Townsend) covers Yorkshire or Middlesex because for the first part of the season he covered Middlesex then went up north for some of the summer and covered Yorkshire, I don't know if he now lives up north or not; I have heard Kevin Hand say that he is now commentating on Yorkshire but wasn't sure weather he was joking or not. I do like DT, I must be the only one ;-):D.

Talking of KH I do like his work and would like to hear him on TMS one day. As always very good this year from Mike Taylor (BBC WM) and Dave Callaghan (BBC Leeds). When I first heard Lizzy I didn't think she was much good but that was her first game and after I found out that it was her first EVER commentary and slowly I have grown to like her and hope she will be involved next year.

I am very much looking forward to BBC WM & CW's commentary on the RLC final with Chris Wright and I hope Mike Taylor I will been listening with the tv sound down.
    Forum Member
    Monday 15th September - Thursday 18th September

BBC Newcastle & BBC Northampton
    Martin Emmerson & Chris Egerton: Durham v Northamptonshire

BBC Nottingham & BBC Sussex
    Dave Bracegirdle & John Lees: Nottinghamshire v Sussex

BBC Somerset, BBC Bristol, BBC London & BBC 5 Live sports Extra
    Stephen Lamb, Kevin Hand & Kevin Howells: Somerset v Middlesex

BBC Solent & BBC Kent
    Kevan James, Allan Mulley & Peter Guise: Hampshire v Kent

BBC Leicester & BBC Essex
    Richard Rea, Dick Davies & Nick Gledhill: Leicestershire v Essex

BBC London & BBC Derby
    Mark Church, Lizzy Ammon & Iain O'Brien: Surrey v Derbyshire
    Forum Member
    Saturday 20th September

Royal London Cup Final

BBC Newcastle & BBC Tees
    Martin Emmerson & Lizzy Ammon: Durham v Warwickshire

BBC WM & BBC Coventry & Warwickshire
    Mike Taylor, Clive Eakin, Chris Wright & Phil Britt: Durham v Warwickshire

In between the 2 innings BBC WM & CW played some clips from the 1993 & 1994 seasons. It was good to hear, including the voices of John Roder, Clive Eakin, A young Richard Wilford and Paul Franks (who I didn't know covered cricket)
    Forum Member
    Tuesday 23rd September

National League Play Off Semi Final Speedway
    Richard Wilford: Cradley Heathens A - A Mildenhall Fen Tigers (Live Commentary on DAB & Online)

The reason I know it was Richard was because I saw there commentating. Don't think anyone was in the pits.
  • swansea steveswansea steve Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like the echo the comments of others regarding the county championship cricket this season. I've particularly enjoyed Dave Callaghan on Yorkshire games. If we were talking about local radio commentators who IMO deserve a go at TMS then I'd like tothrow Mark Church's name in to the hat. I've been listening to his Surrey commentaries for years and love his style-- informative and amusing-- just what I always think cricket commentary should be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friday 26th to Sunday 28th September - Live@Ryder Cup Radio

Richard Kaufman is presenting live coverage of The 40th Ryder Cup from Gleneagles Hotel, Perthshire

Commentators: Ron Jones, Sue Thearle, Dave Farrar, Matt Adams, Gordon Brand Jr, Gregory Havret and Paul Eales

Coverage is available on 87.7FM as a restricted service licence radio station in the local area of the course, via live audio streams on RyderCup.com, on the TuneIn radio app, in North America on SiriusXM Radio and in podcast form on production company IMG Sports Radio's Audioboo page.

It's basically the same set-up we get on @TheOpen Radio each year, albeit there are a few different voices involved (with regular Open pundits Robert Lee and Richard Boxall involved in the Sky Sports television coverage). There's no separate on-course interviewer as far as I've heard, a number of the commentators are conducting them instead. I believe Bob Bubka has made a cameo appearance on Live@Ryder Cup Radio, with him primarily being part of talkSPORT's reporting team in Gleneagles along with Rupert Bell and Georgie Bingham.
    Forum Member
    Tuesday 23rd September - Friday 26th September

BBC Lancashire, BBC Manchester, BBC London & BBC 5 Live Sports Extra
    Scott Read, Kevin Hand, Steven Mullaney, Kevin Howells & David Townsend (Day 3 & 4): Lancashire v Middlesex

BBC Northampton & BBC Sussex
    Chris Egerton & Adrian Harms: Northamptonshire v Sussex

BBC WM, BBC Coventry & Warwickshire & BBC Newcastle
    Mike Taylor, Martin Emmerson, Phil Britt & Brian Halford (for the last time :cry:): Warwickshire v Durham

BBC Yorkshire Stations, BBC Bristol & BBC Somerset
    Dave Callaghan & Antony Gibson: Yorkshire v Somerset

BBC Derby & BBC Leicester
    Iain O'Brien & Richard Rea: Derbyshire v Leicestershire

BBC Essex
    Glen Spiller, Paul Newton & Dick Davies: Essex v Worcestershire

BBC Hereford & Worcester
    Trevor Owens: Essex v Worcestershire

BBC Wales & BBC Solent
    Ed Bevan, Kevan James, Allan Mulley & Lizzy Ammon: Glamorgan v Hampshire

BBC Kent, BBC Bristol & BBC Gloucestershire
    Matt Cole & Bob Hunt: Kent v Gloucestershire
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tuesday 23rd September - Friday 26th September

BBC WM, BBC Coventry & Warwickshire & BBC Newcastle
    Mike Taylor, Martin Emmerson, Phil Britt & Brian Halford (for the last time :cry:): Warwickshire v Durham

Yes, really sad to hear that the Birmingham Mail have made Brian Halford redundant. A regrettable decision but as a Walsall supporter who reads that newspaper from time to time I can't say it comes as a massive surprise. On top of being their cricket correspondent Brian was also their Saddlers reporter and it has been noticeable that the amount of column inches the Mail devotes to my club has gotten progressively fewer over the past 12-15 months. I guess they will just take agency/syndicated copy for Warwickshire and Walsall news and match reports once Brian bows out, with Walsall v Bristol City a week tomorrow being his final game for the newspaper. You might be interested to know that the Birmingham Mail's West Bromwich Albion reporter Chris Lepkowski has also left his post this week.

Hopefully Brian (and Chris for that matter) will continue his sports reporting career on a freelance basis, at least in the short to medium term. We often talk on here about BBC Local Radio commentators who wouldn't sound out of place broadcasting on national radio - with many getting the chance to do just that through Radio 5 Live Sports Extra's County Championship and Football League coverage - and I think we can apply those sentiments to Brian Halford as a written journalist. I've long thought that he's a fantastic writer and for my money his copy wouldn't look out of place on the cricket pages of the national broadsheets, indeed if the national press need a well qualified freelancer on the county cricket circuit next season they could do a lot worse than to call upon Brian - that way, we might hear him back on BBC Radio's county cricket commentaries as well.

Changing tack, on Thursday BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra interrupted their coverage of Lancashire v Middlesex to broadcast the closing stages of Hampshire's Division Two championship clinching match at Glamorgan with two wickets remaining in the home team's second innings. Kevan James, Lizzy Ammon and Edward Bevan were on commentary duty. Upon 5LSE's return to Old Trafford, the veteran former Sky Sports darts commentator John Gwynne was in the middle of an entertaining guest stint alongside David Townsend in the BBC Local Radio commentary box (this was at around 3pm if anyone wants to dig it out on the iPlayer). I know I'm repeating what I said on here the other week Connor, but many thanks for compiling all the details of BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra and BBC Local Radio's county cricket coverage throughout the summer. Your contributions are much appreciated. :)
    Forum Member
    Yes, really sad to hear that the Birmingham Mail have made Brian Halford redundant. A regrettable decision but as a Walsall supporter who reads that newspaper from time to time I can't say it comes as a massive surprise. On top of being their cricket correspondent Brian was also their Saddlers reporter and it has been noticeable that the amount of column inches the Mail devotes to my club has gotten progressively fewer over the past 12-15 months. I guess they will just take agency/syndicated copy for Warwickshire and Walsall news and match reports once Brian bows out, with Walsall v Bristol City a week tomorrow being his final game for the newspaper. You might be interested to know that the Birmingham Mail's West Bromwich Albion reporter Chris Lepkowski has also left his post this week.

Hopefully Brian (and Chris for that matter) will continue his sports reporting career on a freelance basis, at least in the short to medium term. We often talk on here about BBC Local Radio commentators who wouldn't sound out of place broadcasting on national radio - with many getting the chance to do just that through Radio 5 Live Sports Extra's County Championship and Football League coverage - and I think we can apply those sentiments to Brian Halford as a written journalist. I've long thought that he's a fantastic writer and for my money his copy wouldn't look out of place on the cricket pages of the national broadsheets, indeed if the national press need a well qualified freelancer on the county cricket circuit next season they could do a lot worse than to call upon Brian - that way, we might hear him back on BBC Radio's county cricket commentaries as well.

Changing tack, on Thursday BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra interrupted their coverage of Lancashire v Middlesex to broadcast the closing stages of Hampshire's Division Two championship clinching match at Glamorgan with two wickets remaining in the home team's second innings. Kevan James, Lizzy Ammon and Edward Bevan were on commentary duty. Upon 5LSE's return to Old Trafford, the veteran former Sky Sports darts commentator John Gwynne was in the middle of an entertaining guest stint alongside David Townsend in the BBC Local Radio commentary box (this was at around 3pm if anyone wants to dig it out on the iPlayer). I know I'm repeating what I said on here the other week Connor, but many thanks for compiling all the details of BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra and BBC Local Radio's county cricket coverage throughout the summer. Your contributions are much appreciated. :)

I would 100% agree your comments on Brian, I have a book that he wrote back in 2012 about Warwickshire on this day. It was very good and Brian most have put a lot of work in.

I did read that next year the Birmingham Mail will only have a reporter on the so called "big matches".