The HARRY POTTER Books

Comments

• ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Confirmed and she is donating all proceeds to charity.

Its on her re vamped website which was updated to include her new book which is coming out
  • PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Confirmed and she is donating all proceeds to charity.

Its on her re vamped website which was updated to include her new book which is coming out

To be fair, if I was as rich as her, I would donate all proceeds to charity from whatever I do ever again :)

Cheers for the confirmation :)
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't wait. :)
  • LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great news about the encyclopedia, I've not been over impressed with her other HP tie-in books but anything that returns to that world is good :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Curious did you love His Dark Materials right from the off? I have got the book (massive hardback omnibus edition) but have never managed to reach the end, the character of Lyra just irritates me so.

So I was wondering so I would know to try again.

Strangely, I prefer the first book to the latter ones. I think Northern Lights is a brilliant stand alone novel and the story and characters are really good. It dips in the Subtle Knife and then picks up again in The Amber Spyglass. I think Lyra is a bit spoilt but I still like her, she shows a lot of compassion to the boy who was split from his daemon and the end shows a more sensible, adult Lyra which might be more to your liking!
  • MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember when Harry dropped the Resurrection Stone, in the Forbidden Forest, just after seeing his parents, and Sirius and Lupin as ghosts, and just before the showdown with Voldemort? Discovery of the Stone, perhaps years later, could form a basis for another tale, in the same world, although it may be after Harry's time-and that is, if that was the last time the Stone was alluded too. They didn't talk of it being found and disposed of at the end, did they? My memory for the finer details is sometimes a little defective, especially with something like the Potter finale, when there was so much going on, and the main thing most people are bothered about is that Harry won, and the associating elan.

Harry agrees with Dumbledore that he will leave the stone in the forest and not go looking for it, so it seems like it will stay where it landed.
    I always thought Emma Watson was miscast. Hermione is supposed to be a spiky character who has few friends. She has 'bushy' hair and protruding teeth, until she magically fixes them. So they cast the prettiest girl in the school, the one with 'alpha' written all over her. It actually makes her romance with Ron rather cringy - he just isn't the kind of person she would fall for.

On a positive note, most of the casting seems perfect.

Yes I also think she was miscast. When I'm reading the book I imagine Rupert Grint as the face of Ron, but for most of the characters I stick with the faces I've come up with. The actors just don't seem to fit, for me.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On a rereading, Half-Blood Prince is a favourite. The back-history of Tom Riddle is superb; the development of Draco Malfoy from being just a smug creep is also fascinating and the ending is awesomely powerful. Katie opening the wrapped necklace, Harry doing sectumsempra on Draco, and Lake of Inferi are really chilling, horrific scenes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm currently re-reading the books on the Kindle, I'm halfway through the Prisoner of Azkaban. I'm not that keen on any of the films, bar the 1st two. Much more detail in the books.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've deliberately not watched any of the films because I love the books too much (I'm the same with other books too). The couple of snippets that I've been unable to avoid have usually contained some inaccuracy that makes me start ranting so I'm told to go away!
    I appreciate that they were done in collaboration with JK Rowling but all the same.
    I also worry that the film will destroy my imagined images, I know that many of my images are actually "wrong" but I'd rather that than seeing the actors all the time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't worry about "inaccuracies" and subtle plot changes. The screenplay has to adapt to suit it's own medium.

But IMO they're great movies and you're missing out. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about "inaccuracies" and subtle plot changes. The screenplay has to adapt to suit it's own medium.

But IMO they're great movies and you're missing out. :)

:D:D sorry but that made me laugh, not so subtle in some cases :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lowri wrote: »
    I've deliberately not watched any of the films because I love the books too much (I'm the same with other books too). The couple of snippets that I've been unable to avoid have usually contained some inaccuracy that makes me start ranting so I'm told to go away!
    I appreciate that they were done in collaboration with JK Rowling but all the same.
    I also worry that the film will destroy my imagined images, I know that many of my images are actually "wrong" but I'd rather that than seeing the actors all the time.

I still have all the characters in my head, despite the films, in fact many of the actors I feel look nothing like how I imagined them, Flitwick, Slughorn, Umbridge, Fudge :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D:D sorry but that made me laugh, not so subtle in some cases :)

Well you get my point anyway :p
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only started reading the books after watching the first two films; so, many of the characters in my head are the film actors. I don't mind though. :D

I am also rereading the series at the moment and have just finished Prisoner of Azkaban. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Umbridge, for me, is the most repulsive character to appear in the whole series-more repulsive than Voldemort and any of his minions. I suspect a large proportion of people would agree with me, because the sort of petty, personal evil Umbridge represents is the sort that most people are more familiar with than the more grandiose evil of would-be tyrants or master criminals.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Umbridge, for me, is the most repulsive character to appear in the whole series-more repulsive than Voldemort and any of his minions. I suspect a large proportion of people would agree with me, because the sort of petty, personal evil Umbridge represents is the sort that most people are more familiar with than the more grandiose evil of would-be tyrants or master criminals.

I cannot stand her!! :mad: She's one of the darkest themes in the book imo, although I do cheer up once Fred and George start causing mayham and I love the teacher's rebellion :D
    I think you are right that she has more impact because she's more "real world" than voldemort. We're exposed to lots of OTT evil baddies in books and on tv so I think their impact has been diluted.
  • Goldbear86Goldbear86 Posts: 1,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree. I think a lot of people could relate to that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Remember the Marauder's Map, and how 'Moody' borrows it, in Goblet of Fire. I don't recall Harry getting it back, and yet he subsequently has it to try and track Draco, in Half Blood Prince-whereas I don't even recall it being mentioned in Order of Phoenix, which came after Goblet and before Prince. Does anyone recall how Harry got it back, and whether it was referred to again, after his tracking of Draco?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember the Marauder's Map, and how 'Moody' borrows it, in Goblet of Fire. I don't recall Harry getting it back, and yet he subsequently has it to try and track Draco, in Half Blood Prince-whereas I don't even recall it being mentioned in Order of Phoenix, which came after Goblet and before Prince. Does anyone recall how Harry got it back, and whether it was referred to again, after his tracking of Draco?

If I remember JKR said in the an interview that Harry reclaimed the map back when the imposter moody was discovered and subsequently dealt with. Apparently she thought fans would have realised this knowing Harry's character after 4 books, but said she should have wrote it in.

To me it shouldn't have been implied as Harry at that point was almost devastated and so I think the map would have been far from his attention. But I suppose she can't write every bit of minutia :)
  • big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    I always thought Emma Watson was miscast. Hermione is supposed to be a spiky character who has few friends. She has 'bushy' hair and protruding teeth, until she magically fixes them. So they cast the prettiest girl in the school, the one with 'alpha' written all over her. It actually makes her romance with Ron rather cringy - he just isn't the kind of person she would fall for.

On a positive note, most of the casting seems perfect.

I completely agree with this. The most notable example being the big Yule Ball moment where everybody is wowed by how good she looks - I actually think that was the least attractive Watson had been in the whole series (I'm a few months younger than her so always been 'allowed' to fancy her:o).

I think it's one area where Rowling arguably wrote herself into a corner - in the earlier books socially-awkward know-it-all Hermione was perfect for the more innocent 'boarding school' feel, but as the series developed into more mature themes a more feminine, feistier heroine who was plausible as the kind of girl to be fought over was required.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just literally this moment finished re-reading Philosopher's Stone after re-reading the whole series in reverse order. It is quite interesting to read the series in a backward sequence, as you then see when things were first mentioned that you already know to have become recurring themes or items in subsequent books and see the whole saga being deconstructed to its origins as opposed to being built up.
  • MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On a rereading, Half-Blood Prince is a favourite. The back-history of Tom Riddle is superb; the development of Draco Malfoy from being just a smug creep is also fascinating and the ending is awesomely powerful. Katie opening the wrapped necklace, Harry doing sectumsempra on Draco, and Lake of Inferi are really chilling, horrific scenes.

HBP is my favourite too. I especially love the developing relationship between Harry and Dumbledore, and how Harry really goes from a boy to a man between OOTP and HBP. He acts very maturely in this book.

I really, really hate the films but I recently watched Deathly Hallows Part 2 and was pleasantly surprised. Personally I would skip all the others but I would watch that one.

I completely agree. I have only read OOTP once compared to 30+ times for the other books, partly because I don't like the whole depressing atmosphere of the book and how much of a brat Harry is, but a lot of it is because of how much I hate Umbridge. She is utterly detestable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I completely agree. I have only read OOTP once compared to 30+ times for the other books, partly because I don't like the whole depressing atmosphere of the book and how much of a brat Harry is, but a lot of it is because of how much I hate Umbridge. She is utterly detestable.

What I find fascinating, in Order of the Phoenix, is the whole bureaucratic cover-up and panic limitation thing going on, with the Ministry of Magic trying to deny admitting there is any crisis, both to avoid social hysteria and so as to keep life easy for themselves and avoid having to lose popularity. Cornelius Fudge is well-drawn as the archetypal complacent administrator who reacts to attempts to rock the boat or alert to danger with self-serving bluster, while trying to suck up to Harry as potential poster boy for his administration. While sometimes serving as light relief, his failure to acknowledge a problem becomes annoying and finally tragic.
  • Logan_ThomasLogan_Thomas Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    Child abuse in a childrens novel! :D

It was read to me in Primary School by my teacher and I thought it was 'mean' but not child abuse.

If he was in Primary School I doubt the user at the time would really understand the full realisation of child abuse surely?
    Oh, I like that thinking, perhaps he can't help it! I suppose it's also an accurate portrayal of many teenagers :D

Agreed.
    Harry agrees with Dumbledore that he will leave the stone in the forest and not go looking for it, so it seems like it will stay where it landed.

Yes I also think she was miscast. When I'm reading the book I imagine Rupert Grint as the face of Ron, but for most of the characters I stick with the faces I've come up with. The actors just don't seem to fit, for me.

I remember my Mum seeing Emma Watson for the first time in a tv interview and she said she was so stuck up.

My Primary School deputy Head was just like Pro Umbridge.
    I have just literally this moment finished re-reading Philosopher's Stone after re-reading the whole series in reverse order. It is quite interesting to read the series in a backward sequence, as you then see when things were first mentioned that you already know to have become recurring themes or items in subsequent books and see the whole saga being deconstructed to its origins as opposed to being built up.

Im going to reread them again!
  • Logan_ThomasLogan_Thomas Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    Anywho I looked up this thread because I have started 50 Shades of Grey and apparently this has outsold the Potter books!?

True?