Chuck D calls out Jay-Z and Kayne for materialistic lyrics

mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hip Hop Legend Chuck D frontman of Public Enemy has spoken out against the materialism on Jay Z and Kanye West’s latest exercise in self absorption ‘Watch The Throne’
In a spin-off to there song, “Otis” Chuck does a 2 min freestyle over the instrumental and highlights the fact that it’s not cool for Kanye and Jay-Z to brag about how much money they have when people are in the middle of one of the most devastating periods in economic history.
Chuck insists that his track is not a diss aimed at The Throne, but simply a request that they use their considerable voices for a greater good: “In these difficult times for many people (especially of colour), this is a call to artists to continue to inspire, but to reflect the people better than the media does. Here’s to hoping that the Jay-Z & Kanye supergroup can elevate the masses to try a little bit more to reflect Otis’ heart rather than swag, because they’re too good to be less.”
Chuck D -Notice (Know This)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=161ZRrJZESA

I think chuck has a point If you're looking for a lasting snapshot of what it means to live in this world in 2011, this isn't it. Pop music has a proud history of meaningless songs that are pure ear candy. I know not everyone can be Bob Dylan, and not everyone should be…The difference is that Kanye and Jay-Z know there's something more important out there.
They seem to believe that rapping about private jets and half-million dollar cars is preferable to discussing our collective plight...we are not all sitting around in gold jacuzzi's drinking Cristal.
No wonder the youth today feels so frustrated they see these guys and they want the things that they have
Hip-hop needs to turn the corner. This is the music that the kids are listening to and they idolise these guys.
They could be using the creative fire of hip-hop music for positivity and progressive change.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,505
    Forum Member
    They're paid to do the opposite. It's their job and why they were hired. Hip Hop sold it's soul a long time ago.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    I think this album was the 2 of them having fun, experimenting and dipping into a mix of different sounds which wouldn't be out of place being heard in clubs. When making this type of music they were never going to be taking themselves too seriously and sometimes it works sometimes it didn't tbh. Otis, New Day, N***as in Paris and Who Gon Stop Me are the albums high points where they have gone for this and achieved though there are also low ones like Why I Love You and Lift Off.

Murder to Excellence though shows that the pair do have the ability to speak not simply about wealth but consciously and still make one of the best Hip Hop songs of the year.
  • Ash's ManAsh's Man Posts: 7,165
    Forum Member
    Interesting. The aspirational factor of Jay's music has always been this way, but I agree with Chuck that times are hard right now and he should be making more of an effort to inspire, rather than say, look how great I am, look at me, you could be like me too. There's not enough of the last part of that sentence and it's coming across as egotistical.
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    I think for some people, those rappers saying "look how awesome I am, look how much money I have" can be inspirational, in the sense that their fans will be motivated to work hard to get as much money, women, etc. as the rappers have.