Options

Doc Martin (Part 14 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Jack Lothian has written one episode of series 6.

Richard Stoneman has written three episodes of series 6.

Still need to find the writers for two more episodes.

Can you post the web site where you found this info? Thanks!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    Ohhh very good. I did notice the pull back after "I do" but I hadn't seem the forshadowing before. :cool:

He seems very relaxed and non confrontational in this episode. Louisa is playful and very light at dinner talking about the horses and the doves and Doc doesn't react much to that at all. His interaction with PC Penhale is even more interpersonal than usual - like I'm not taking advice from you based on your experience. Not as rude and dismissive as usual.
    Actually, even when confronting the spooky old bat he doesn't seem angry to me, not at least as over the top as I originally expected.
    I have just worried afterwards about him sliding down those steps - it sure looks real - running and bumping and slipping and sliding is going to get increasingly challenging physically. I won't mind if he spends S6 in a rocking chair reading to JH.
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ages and Heights of DM People

Martin Clunes 51 6'3"
    Ben Bolt 60
    Katherine Parkinson 34 5'6"
    Joe Absolom 34 5'7"
    Ian McNeice 62 5'8"
    Stephanie Cole 71 5'8"
    John Marquez ?
    Selina Cadell 59
    Lia Williams 48
    Eileen Atkins 78 5'6 1/2"
    Tristan Sturrock 44
    Jeff Rawle 61 5'7 1/2"
    Felicity Montagu 52
    Kurtis O'Brien ?

Oh, and BTW, MC, CC, Joe Absolom, and Eileen Atkins are all represented by the same agency, Independent Talent Group.

Someone on this forum once said that Caroline Catz is 5'6" tall. If so, she must have been standing on a box in the kiss in the copse at the concert.
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ages and Heights of DM People

Martin Clunes 51 6'3"
    Ben Bolt 60
    Katherine Parkinson 34 5'6"
    Joe Absolom 34 5'7"
    Ian McNeice 62 5'8"
    Stephanie Cole 71 5'8"
    John Marquez ?
    Selina Cadell 59
    Lia Williams 48
    Eileen Atkins 78 5'6 1/2"
    Tristan Sturrock 44
    Jeff Rawle 61 5'7 1/2"
    Felicity Montagu 52
    Kurtis O'Brien ?

Oh, and BTW, MC, CC, Joe Absolom, and Eileen Atkins are all represented by the same agency, Independent Talent Group.

Al is shorter than Bert? Are you sure about Joe's height? He seems taller on the TV.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, my, I just noticed.... I was watching a YT video with Doc sitting up in bed when Peter Cronk comes in to wake him (s2 e2) and his bed headboard is the same one we see in Louisa's red bedroom (s3 e6) on the morning after the proposal. And I looked back to s1 e6 and his bed is different style and dark colored in it.

Well, that's one way to make a man comfortable in one's bedroom; bring his bed to your house.:D

Speaking of Louisa's bedroom (Attn: Shop Girl), it occurred to me that in S2 E1 when we see her awaken from the earthquake dream, we're to assume, I guess, that she's in her "Chicago House" home, right, with a light-colored, more frilly bedroom and old-style iron-posted bed? That's where she seems to live in S2. But, after waking up when she goes to the window and looks out at Martin trying to get the stethoscope away from the dog, she's looking out from a completely different building, isn't she?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just looked on Ben Bolts website and it says:

I've written 4 DM scripts and am currently writing 2 more!!!!:cool::cool::cool:

I can't find out his height though :(
    Jack Lothian has written one episode of series 6.

Richard Stoneman has written three episodes of series 6.

Still need to find the writers for two more episodes.

Wow, cc.cookie, you've really got me intrigued! 1. I've looked and looked and can't find a website for Ben Bolt. Could you post a link? Please, please? 2. Where did you get the information about S6 scripts that have been written? Looks like your detective skills are much better than mine, so please tell!
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    I was interested in the beds because in S5 his bed is taken away and we see that around the rest of the surgery and home it appears to be Dr Dibbs furniture, so whose bed are they sleeping in when they move back into the surgery? I think it is different than the other beds. Shop Girl ???

The bedrooms have me pretty flummoxed. I haven't paid too much attention to them because there is really no way to figure out where they are. Just like I haven't even attempted to figure out the locations of places like the spot where Danny's car is broken down - they are pretty impossible to pinpoint. With the exception of S5, the bedroom scenes are pretty short and there is no view out a window that would help indentify the location. That's why I really suspect that they may have used the bedrooms in cottages that cast or crew have rented for the summer.

In S5 there are so many scenes in the bedroom at the surgery that I almost wonder if they built a set at the farm. Not sure about that because we get a lot of views of the ceiling and that is not the case on most of the sets (except for the kitchen). If they didn't build a set, then it would have to be somewhere they rented for the whole summer. Maybe AJ's farm?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He seems very relaxed and non confrontational in this episode. Louisa is playful and very light at dinner talking about the horses and the doves and Doc doesn't react much to that at all. His interaction with PC Penhale is even more interpersonal than usual - like I'm not taking advice from you based on your experience. Not as rude and dismissive as usual.
    Actually, even when confronting the spooky old bat he doesn't seem angry to me, not at least as over the top as I originally expected.

He does to me too, dmbesotted, and that's one of the reasons I always thoroughly enjoy this episode. It means it's the only time I, as a viewer, can completely relax and just enjoy what's happening on the screen without worrying about someone saying the wrong thing, feelings getting hurt, misunderstandings getting in the way. It's as if we're given one (and only one) little break from the emotional roller coaster that is this show. "We'll give you a little rest now. Relax. You'll need your strength for the next episode. And series."

There's also the idea that I think Martin should be relaxed in this episode, his tension sort of melted away, if you know what I mean. ;) I think his behavior, even toward Spooky Old Bat and Joe Penhale, is meant to appear more calm and composed and we're meant to understand why.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    The bedrooms have me pretty flummoxed. I haven't paid too much attention to them because there is really no way to figure out where they are. Just like I haven't even attempted to figure out the locations of places like the spot where Danny's car is broken down - they are pretty impossible to pinpoint. With the exception of S5, the bedroom scenes are pretty short and there is no view out a window that would help indentify the location. That's why I really suspect that they may have used the bedrooms in cottages that cast or crew have rented for the summer.

In S5 there are so many scenes in the bedroom at the surgery that I almost wonder if they built a set at the farm. Not sure about that because we get a lot of views of the ceiling and that is not the case on most of the sets (except for the kitchen). If they didn't build a set, then it would have to be somewhere they rented for the whole summer. Maybe AJ's farm?

I think MC did say that they filmed in cottages that were rented by the crew -- in an interview that I cannot now pinpoint.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

His bedroom changed drastically in S5 and I too wonder if that's because they had to pin down a specific room in a rented home for the entire time of filming. On the other hand, we've also got a view of the stairs, window, and upper landing outside the bedroom as well as multiple views of the miraculous en suite where-did-that-come-from bathroom. That makes me think maybe they did create a bedroom/bathroom/landing at the farm since they'd be using it so often in S5. There's a lack of wallpaper too, isn't there, and in the scenes obviously filmed in existing homes in Port Isaac, there's always wallpaper, usually old-fashioned wallpaper.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Well, that's one way to make a man comfortable in one's bedroom; bring his bed to your house.:D

Speaking of Louisa's bedroom (Attn: Shop Girl), it occurred to me that in S2 E1 when we see her awaken from the earthquake dream, we're to assume, I guess, that she's in her "Chicago House" home, right, with a light-colored, more frilly bedroom and old-style iron-posted bed? That's where she seems to live in S2. But, after waking up when she goes to the window and looks out at Martin trying to get the stethoscope away from the dog, she's looking out from a completely different building, isn't she?

OK Biff - you got me going on this one! I had always assumed it was Chicago House but had not pinpointed where Martin is standing. So I just went back and studied he scene again and thought that it could not be Chicago House because surrounding the window she looks out is white stucco, not white clapboard like on Chicago House. Rats!

So I studied the area where Martin is wrestling with the dog. It is on a steep, narrow lane like we would find around there. I flipped back through my photos of screenshots and pictures taken from the web and found the spot. It is on Dolphin St right next to the spot where Mr Flynt tries to choke Martin. So I googled Dolphin St images to try to find the house with that window and found a pretty good one, but it leads right back to Chicago House. There is a window that appears to match that winow Louisa is looking from.

Here is my suspicion. This window is on the back of the house. I don't have a good close up view of the back of the house, so I wonder if the three sides that can be seen from the front (Rose Hill) are covered in clapboard, but the back of the house is stucco? Wouldn't be too surprising. The website for the house says it has 6 bedrooms, and 3 of the ones with pictures show similar brass beds.

So I declare that it was shot in Chicago House! Another assignment for those of you headed to Port Isaac this summer. See if the back of the house is stucco and get a pic of that window! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    I think MC did say that they filmed in cottages that were rented by the crew -- in an interview that I cannot now pinpoint.

That would make sense because, as I said, most bedroom scenes prior to S5 are very short scenes and it doesn't seem like it would take a lot to set that up and shoot it.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I guess I am not so concerned about where they are in space and time, just how many beds? Did they use the same ones or different. I really did not notice that the S5 bed looked like Louisa's bed - I was only looking back at Doc's bed.
  • Options
    lemsterlemster Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    A couple of old reviews/comments on DM I hadn't seen before.

http://imaginationpluspolitics.wordpress.com/2010/03/20/doc-martin-uk-tv-series-review/

http://laradunning.wordpress.com/2010/09/16/a-writers-characters-analysis-doc-martin/

In S3E6 the scene most touching to me is the dialogue in LG's bedroom as DM is dressing. I think this is the only time in the whole of DM I would use the word tender to describe his actions
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK Biff - you got me going on this one! I had always assumed it was Chicago House but had not pinpointed where Martin is standing. So I just went back and studied he scene again and thought that it could not be Chicago House because surrounding the window she looks out is white stucco, not white clapboard like on Chicago House. Rats!

So I studied the area where Martin is wrestling with the dog. It is on a steep, narrow lane like we would find around there. I flipped back through my photos of screenshots and pictures taken from the web and found the spot. It is on Dolphin St right next to the spot where Mr Flynt tries to choke Martin. So I googled Dolphin St images to try to find the house with that window and found a pretty good one, but it leads right back to Chicago House. There is a window that appears to match that winow Louisa is looking from.

Here is my suspicion. This window is on the back of the house. I don't have a good close up view of the back of the house, so I wonder if the three sides that can be seen from the front (Rose Hill) are covered in clapboard, but the back of the house is stucco? Wouldn't be too surprising. The website for the house says it has 6 bedrooms, and 3 of the ones with pictures show similar brass beds.

So I declare that it was shot in Chicago House! Another assignment for those of you headed to Port Isaac this summer. See if the back of the house is stucco and get a pic of that window! :D

I've decided it isn't that difficult to get you going, Shop Girl. And, once again, I think you've got it! In fact, after reading this, I went back to the Daily Mail article about the fellow selling the house and found this:

It is a tall house - five storeys. The bottom two floors are made up of an old stone cottage built into rock.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/property/article-1221416/Why-A-N-Wilson-sorry-say-farewell-paradise-home-Port-Issac.html#ixzz2Iok6a1Z8
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

So the window LG looks out must be a part of the original bottom two floors. Interesting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemster wrote: »

http://imaginationpluspolitics.wordpress.com/2010/03/20/doc-martin-uk-tv-series-review/

http://laradunning.wordpress.com/2010/09/16/a-writers-characters-analysis-doc-martin/

In S3E6 the scene most touching to me is the dialogue in LG's bedroom as DM is dressing. I think this is the only time in the whole of DM I would use the word tender to describe his actions

Thanks, Lemster -- both of those are very interesting in different ways. The first one mirrors the experience of my American daughter when she moved to England and went to the pediatrician with her daughters. She couldn't get over that there was no huge check-out bureaucracy, no questions about her insurance etc. She really has nothing but good things to say about her NHS experience -- well, until now when her youngest came down with chicken-pox, b/c that is not a customary inoculation in England as it is in the U.S.

And the second one made a good point about DM never really changing, at least in the early episodes, but as we know, that is largely b/c MC did/does not want him to change.

That scene in the bedroom gives me hope for how things could be between them, at least sometimes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was interested in the beds because in S5 his bed is taken away and we see that around the rest of the surgery and home it appears to be Dr Dibbs furniture, so whose bed are they sleeping in when they move back into the surgery? I think it is different than the other beds. Shop Girl ???

I've always assumed the bedroom furniture, like everything else except the kitchen table, belongs to Dr. Dibbs. I'm hoping in S6 we'll get her stuff outta there and go back to DM's furniture, with a smattering of LG's things too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Makes you feel a little sorry for some of the crew who might have spent hours at the pub the night before. Get up early and clean your room too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, cc.cookie, you've really got me intrigued! 1. I've looked and looked and can't find a website for Ben Bolt. Could you post a link? Please, please? 2. Where did you get the information about S6 scripts that have been written? Looks like your detective skills are much better than mine, so please tell!

cc.cookie, nevermind about question #1. I found Ben Bolt's website. Yay! Turns out searching simply for Ben Bolt doesn't help much, but when you add the word "director", there it is. Nice website too. I watched the showreel and enjoyed the DM and Downton Abbey clips (and others) set to music. Haven't watched the longer clips yet, but I will.

http://www.benboltdirector.com/

I see that's he's mentioned S6 episode writing at the website, but I still desperately want to know how you found out about Jack Lothian and Richard Stoneman and S6 scripts.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie, nevermind about question #1. I found Ben Bolt's website. Yay! Turns out searching simply for Ben Bolt doesn't help much, but when you add the word "director", there it is. Nice website too. I watched the showreel and enjoyed the DM and Downton Abbey clips (and others) set to music. Haven't watched the longer clips yet, but I will.

http://www.benboltdirector.com/

I see that's he's mentioned S6 episode writing at the website, but I still desperately want to know how you found out about Jack Lothian and Richard Stoneman and S6 scripts.

Thanks!

Biffpup, I probably am having a senior moment, but I can't figure out how to get to the part where BB talks about S6.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lemster wrote: »

Episode written by Keith Temple

Oh, yes, tender...

Not sure how much the writer really has to do with the character in any given story but this episode is written by Keith Temple - he may be part of the writing team but is not credited with being the writer on any other episode. I recall that some of you think DM is meaner when Richard Stoneman writes.

The exchange between DM and Pauline when he comes in the surgery that morning is priceless. Pauline is so devilish in her "sleep well?" comment and I love that just a hint of a glance he gives her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've decided it isn't that difficult to get you going, Shop Girl. And, once again, I think you've got it! In fact, after reading this, I went back to the Daily Mail article about the fellow selling the house and found this:

It is a tall house - five storeys. The bottom two floors are made up of an old stone cottage built into rock.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/property/article-1221416/Why-A-N-Wilson-sorry-say-farewell-paradise-home-Port-Issac.html#ixzz2Iok6a1Z8
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

So the window LG looks out must be a part of the original bottom two floors. Interesting.

Actually, the window looks to be on the 3rd (or 4th if you count the basement) floor, but I still think it works. Check this page and you will see that only the basement is stucco on the side. So they covered one of the original cottage floors with the clapboard on the side. But the entire back could be all stucco. I have seen many houses in the US that have brick in the front and siding on the back.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35584579@N00/8290116768/in/set-72157632291720700

I just uploaded 5 pictures. Click the link and then look at the next 4 pics. The first one is the view of Louisa in the window. The next two are the views of DM wrestling with the dog. Note on the first of those two the dark stone building in the background with the black pipe and the window. In the 2nd of those two, note the 2 cement gate posts that come to a peak right over his shoulder. The 4th pic is right after Mr Flynt tries to choke Martin and you can see that dark stone building, black pipe and the window at the bottom of the hill. The 5th pic is one I got online. The poster identifies it as a house her family owns on Dolphin St. In this pic the shot looks up the hill and you can see the pointed gate posts in the foreground. That is Chicago House at the upper left and I think the top window is the bedroom. It has the view right to where Martin was in the shot and the sill below the window matches the 1st pic with Louisa in the window.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35584579@N00/8409071734/in/photostream
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Al is shorter than Bert? Are you sure about Joe's height? He seems taller on the TV.

These are the heights that their agents list, so perhaps in some cases they could be imaginary. Yes, I forgot CC - she is 42 and 5'6".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    Along those lines ..Adelie I couldn't tell whether your last post was about S3 or S5, but it strikes me that it's an apt description for both.

It is for pretty much everything after the engagement. Jim Rome used to call Shaquille O'Neil "Clang Fu" because he could never hit a free throw (the clang comes from the sound of the ball hitting the rim of the net). The Doc and Louisa are practicing their own version of "Clang Fu" except now they occasionally get one through the hoop. With practice they may become experts at getting it through the hoop or become totally frustrated and walk away.

I hope the following makes some sense...

Digging back into my 'trekkian' roots I swear that Martin and Louisa are a representation of Sarek and Amanda during their 'courting' phase sometimes. Members of two vastly different species who have little in common except their love for one another (of course Sarek would diss this comment because love is not 'logical'). Those two had to work long and hard to come to the point where they could be bonded to one another and make it work. In essence they had to adopt changes to their whole beings-physical, psychological and emotional. In the end they made it work because, as the old saying goes, love conquers all. (By now Sarek would be in a full blown Vulcan "This argument is not logical" hissy fit and Amanda would just be standing there smiling sweetly. :D )

Watch how Martin interacts with Edith up until "Do Not Disturb". They are the same 'species' and in many ways. The Doc seems much more relaxed with her than Louisa (if one can ever use that term for the Doc). It is like watching the courting rituals of two Vulcans-cold, unemotional, clinical, 'logical'. I did have to laugh when Edith kissed Martin because she put him in Louisa's shoes-Edith said his breath was 'metallic' and the next scene Martin is up in his bathroom brushing his teeth doing his version of chugging Listerine.

But I digress...

The problem for Edith is that she does not understand the emotions involved between Martin and Louisa because she has no true reference to them, just like any Vulcan female would not have if she was courting Sarek. If she did she would have waited until Martin had moved to London and the emotional bond that Martin and Louisa had had withered and died on the vine due to the combination of her meddling, distance, time and "Clang Fu". She moved too fast and Martin reacts just like someone who is bonded to another when confronted with a situation like that-he runs like the wind. She reacts to his running by stating that he now has a phobia about intimacy-her version of 'your behavior is not logical'.

All this brings us up to the scene at the castle and Martin's speech. The whole situtation forced Martin to make a choice-a choice that deep in his psyche he knew he had to make but the cold, 'clinical' Vulcanesque psychological and emotional armor that he has lived in all his life and hides behind kept him from doing. At the end of that episode he is figuratively standing there naked, his armor shattered in pieces on the ground and he expresses it with his statement to Louisa about how he is not going to be like his father and James Henry is not going to be like him. What happens next is anyone's guess (except the writers) but it ties in well with MC's statment that it has 'disaster written all over it'. If I were Louisa I would be walking very carefully because she is now dealing with two 'newborns', not just one. She will be the one who makes or breaks it in series 6, IMHO.
This discussion has been closed.