F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2013 Season

Comments

• DuncanEmeryDuncanEmery Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Georgie Thompson has left Sky's F1 team.
    Might be in minority but I am pleased as didn't like her at all
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Will miss those Georgie curves and she certainly will be a missed presenter, did a great job last year. The papers have been reporting her occasionally on break in the USA over Winter.
    Just great to have the F1 show back, thats a slick show, well produced.
    Except Natalie acting like a childish schoolgirl, I was sad to see her back, she adds nothing to F1 for me.
    I did enjoy the way Ted hid and dismissed the 3D.
    Looking forward now to the live testing, it looks to be a fun time with Sky and Ted looking forward to it too.
  • chrisf1fanchrisf1fan Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    Might be in minority but I am pleased as didn't like her at all

I agree, always thought she was the weakest link.
  • alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...but if the departure was a long time coming, then why was she referenced on the website just a few days ago? Suggests something went amiss.....

GT's still referenced on the website:

"In addition to expert analysis from the likes of Damon Hill, Johnny Herbert and Anthony Davidson, Martin Brundle and David Croft will be back in the commentary box and familiar faces such as Georgie Thompson and Ted Kravitz will keep you to date with all the latest headlines."

Definitely seems to be a recent development, if true.
  • gillwgillw Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone think GT's going to BT Vision?
  • BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    good shout
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alexj2002 wrote: »
    GT's still referenced on the website:

"In addition to expert analysis from the likes of Damon Hill, Johnny Herbert and Anthony Davidson, Martin Brundle and David Croft will be back in the commentary box and familiar faces such as Georgie Thompson and Ted Kravitz will keep you to date with all the latest headlines."

Definitely seems to be a recent development, if true.

Notice along the top of that page how the link to her profile has disappeared, and also that The F1 Show bit refers to Pinkham and Kravitz as the presenters now.

There's definitely been some change within the past few days, because this time last week the website in those two areas still referenced Thompson.
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillw wrote: »
    Anyone think GT's going to BT Vision?

Good point. Yes is the answer.

Ken
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I'll be disappointed if she has left their F1 coverage all together. She was certainly better than Lazenby, imo. The way she's gone seems a bit odd...
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,395
    Forum Member
    k0213818 wrote: »
    Elsewhere my motor racing calendar takes off tomorrow night with the Bud Shootout (or whatever it's called now) and the start of Daytona Speedweeks.
    Sprint Unlimited.

Don't like nascar myself but I'll probably watch it (If I can find a web stream :p) just because i always try & watch the Daytona 500 because its one of the big races. Plus Im moderately interested in seeing what the new Gen-6 cars (Which I quite like the look of) race like.

Relevant to something whihc was been discussed here last week, Was reading something on James Allen's site earlier & found this comment from James regarding who can film what at the test's:
    http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2013/02/france-follows-uk-and-italy-to-pay-tv-model-for-f1-coverage/
    If there is more than 1 team running, FOM own the rights to the test. Only rights holding broadcasters can film at such a test
  • alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Notice along the top of that page how the link to her profile has disappeared, and also that The F1 Show bit refers to Pinkham and Kravitz as the presenters now.

There's definitely been some change within the past few days, because this time last week the website in those two areas still referenced Thompson.

Yeah I saw that, just pointing out that on the same page there's copy that looks to have been written for 2013 that makes mention of GT, suggesting she was in their plans.
  • JonpollakJonpollak Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    snc wrote: »

That website is run by DMN so it's basically just repeating what he's already said in this thread.
  • mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the question is will she be replaced?

OK, it appears Natalie will replace her on the F1 Show.

But will she be replaced for the main live coverage? Or will her role just be dispensed with?
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    Personally I'll be disappointed if she has left their F1 coverage all together. She was certainly better than Lazenby, imo. The way she's gone seems a bit odd...

I agree, she carried a certain confidence in her presenting; Lazenby, to me at least, always felt like he was unsure of what he was going to say.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact that she hasnt posted on twitter since the end of January and the all-too-sudden removal of her from the website says to me that maybe something has happened in her personal life and she is taking a break.

I cant think that she would be missing on twitter because she got fired or got a new job. Especially when she tweeted pretty much every day before that.

Here's hoping everything is okay and I'm wrong. I am of the opinion she was alot better than Simon and deserved alot more air time than she got.
  • DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, D.M.N., is THAT the other news or is there more? ;)
  • F1-AddictF1-Addict Posts: 812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Losing Georgie is a big blow to Sky's coverage, she was the best presenter of the lot and underused in my opinion but it's a bigger blow to the channel's future as just like MODTL I was confident she'd replace the much less capable Lazenby next season. I'll definitely miss the Ted/Georgie double act on The F1 Show, not sure Pinkham can cut out the overly playful style enough to keep the show serious and, more importantly, natural.

Given Georgie's name featured in press releases, TV adverts and web pages up until last week then it would suggest her absence this season wasn't planned. With that in mind and given the hushed nature of her departure I'd say she was pushed rather than jumped. I would expect her to show up on BT Sports come August though as gillw has suggested.

Just a random pedantic comment here but I had hoped Sky would ditch the red microphones they used last year, always thought they looked like they'd been thrown together at the last minute with a velcro logo hurriedly slapped on the front, I much prefer the Sky Deutschland microphones personally (albeit slightly too big).
    Forum Member
    snc wrote: »

How pathetic that an amateur website has put that up. There has been no Sky press statement on this that I have seen.
    It could be for personal reasons she has not appeared, that really is in poor taste.
  • markmagmarkmag Posts: 3,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really respected the team of Georgie and Ted on The F1 Show, probably won't watch as much with Natalie.

It does all seem rather sudden and like others hope for whatever reason GT has disappeared she's OK. Probably wrong to add to the speculation but she's been out in the US for a while and does feature as a talking head in a new soccer (whatever that is) show on Fox Sports. Maybe she's got a gig there.

Sky's coverage sometimes felt like an old boys club to me, especially when Lazenby, Brundle, Herbert and Hill are all stood in a line having a laugh with each other. If GT has gone and is not going to be replaced then that's not really going to help.
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    The cheapest way to get F1 (and in HD) is with the basic pack £21.50 and the HD pack £10.25.

So the first year will cost £381 and includes a free Sky+HD box. No where close to £500!!

After your 12 months are up, you can cancel and reinstate at any time for a minimum of 31 days.

So with F1 being only eight months of the year, you only need to pay £254 in the second and subsequent years.

And I'm sure with some being on BBC you could miss a month or two out, too and still see the majority live.

There are always deals, so you never pay full price as a new or existing customer.
    Current one is for new customers, more details in the sky forum on digital spy;
    Free Sky+HD box
    Free standard set-up
    Half price HD Pack
    Half price sky TV for a year
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DanielF wrote: »
    So, D.M.N., is THAT the other news or is there more? ;)

No, I wasn't expecting that. The other news will more than likely either come out at the end of the month, or on Sky's media day on March 7th.

On that note...
    lettice wrote: »
    How pathetic that an amateur website has put that up. There has been no Sky press statement on this that I have seen.
    It could be for personal reasons she has not appeared, that really is in poor taste.

...actually, the original blog title was going to be "Has Georgie Thompson left Sky F1?"

A few minutes before I posted it, I was informed by someone in the know that Georgie had gone.

Given the scale of the story, I wasn't going to push a blog online that could quite easily have been false. Considering Sky have not tweeted to deny it, nor have I had any messages from anyone that should know saying it is false, then you can assume it is true.

Besides, when do Sky release press statements on people leaving the company?
    Forum Member
    No, I wasn't expecting that. The other news will more than likely either come out at the end of the month, or on Sky's media day on March 7th.

On that note...

...actually, the original blog title was going to be "Has Georgie Thompson left Sky F1?"

A few minutes before I posted it, I was informed by someone in the know that Georgie had gone.

Given the scale of the story, I wasn't going to push a blog online that could quite easily have been false. Considering Sky have not tweeted to deny it, nor have I had any messages from anyone that should know saying it is false, then you can assume it is true.

That is your website :eek:
    I mostly like what you put on here. I'll let you off then a little :)

On another topic,
    Twitter - hoping that for the sky ipad and red button that its been removed this year for Sky F1, it really was garbage last year, luckily it was fairly easy to avoid it with the right screen options.
  • ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Andy Gray was one.
    ...although if you search their press release archive using "Gray" as a keyword, there's no mention of him.
This discussion has been closed.