Options

Should Baroness Thatcher's Funeral Be Televised?

AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,649
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I don't think it should personally. It will just be a load of politicians pontificating about this and that. And the Daily Mail love-in will definitely contaminate opinion. I can just see Quentin Letts and Richard Littlejohn's vile hatred of the left-wing on TV, trying to justify one of the worst prime ministers this country has ever known.

Comments

• Options
    shadowplayshadowplay Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    Like her or loathe her, there will still be viewers who will wish to see the send off and the fact it will be another chapter to be entered into UK political history. The viewers should to be given a choice, turn on or turn off.
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course it should be.

(Just in case I can't get up there to see it :))
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Airborae wrote: »
    I don't think it should personally. It will just be a load of politicians pontificating about this and that. And the Daily Mail love-in will definitely contaminate opinion. I can just see Quentin Letts and Richard Littlejohn's vile hatred of the left-wing on TV, trying to justify one of the worst prime ministers this country has ever known.

Did you not hear the Prime Minister yesterday?
  • Options
    Wench02Wench02 Posts: 2,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes... just because you don't like her... doesn't mean that everyone else hates her.
  • Options
    broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want the cameras trained on fleet street when the ground opens, flames appear, and old nick appears to claim her personally.
  • Options
    MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I'm sure BBC, Sky etc will look at it and say 'Thatcher's funeral - nah don't bother, who's gonna watch'. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    The only reason it should be televised is so we can a) make sure she is dead and b) see her being delivered to hell
  • Options
    DeltaBluesDeltaBlues Posts: 4,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It should be on pay-per-view with corporate sponsorship. It's what she would have wanted, after all. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    plattyplatty Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll say again , who's paying for this extravaganza :rolleyes:
  • Options
    TheIllusionistTheIllusionist Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    If someone says "like her or loath her" or "say what you want about her" again I'm turning in my passport.

This is becoming overrated media sensationalism. If Major had died we'd get the same treatment, this is just the media fuelled era we live in. I say we respect her family stop celebrating her death or trying to canonise her or whatever and just leave the funeral to those who truly cared for her.

Q : why do we need to see her funeral?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    platty wrote: »

It will cost £8million and be funded through a public-private partnership so the taxpayer will foot part of the bill
  • Options
    C HorseC Horse Posts: 747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely ... as with "Lady" Di ... let those who wear their rose tinted spectacles remember her and rewrite their own version of history.

I'll be in the pub, with a glass raised.

Where I come from, in the North East, there won't be many tears, and we'll be watching one of the many other channels available.

I might watch the news to see what was thrown at the cortege, though.

Little bottles of milk, perhaps?
  • Options
    DamandaDamanda Posts: 34,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caltonfan wrote: »
    The only reason it should be televised is so we can a) make sure she is dead and b) see her being delivered to hell

How unpleasant I would feel if I expressed such sentiments
    platty wrote: »
    We are, at least in part :(
    If someone says "like her or loath her" or "say what you want about her" again I'm turning in my passport.

This is becoming overrated media sensationalism. If Major had died we'd get the same treatment, this is just the media fuelled era we live in. I say we respect her family stop celebrating her death or trying to canonise her or whatever and just leave the funeral to those who truly cared for her.

Q : why do we need to see her funeral?

I think I agree.?

I don't like her, having said that, I don't hate her.
    What I do not understand is why it is such a 3 ring circus. Why isn't she just having the funeral that her family choose to provide or her?
    I really have no clue why she is having a state organised and part funded funeral which is being televised.

Mind you....... they televised Stephen gatelys funeral :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Damanda wrote: »
    How unpleasant I would feel if I expressed such sentiments

Well that's good for you personally no I don't feel unpleasant expressing such sentiments:)
  • Options
    WmsheepWmsheep Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    C Horse wrote: »
    Definitely ... as with "Lady" Di

I might watch the news to see what was thrown at the cortege, though.

Little bottles of milk, perhaps?

Hmmm, think there will be quite a bit of stuff chucked at her coffin. (personally, as an old school lefty, I am against that sort of behaviour - call it respect for her family).
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course it should be televised. You don't have to watch it.
  • Options
    C HorseC Horse Posts: 747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wmsheep wrote: »
    Hmmm, think there will be quite a bit of stuff chucked at her coffin. (personally, as an old school lefty, I am against that sort of behaviour - call it respect for her family).

Agreed ... let's respect Mark and Carol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Of course it should be televised. You don't have to watch it.

Would you be saying the same thing if Tony Blair had died?
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So typical of Digital Spy, you do not want to watch it so do not want it to be televised even though likely to be watched by many millions of people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    So typical of Digital Spy, you do not want to watch it so do not want it to be televised even though likely to be watched by many millions of people.

I can see you're a reader of the Daily Mail. :p
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    It's not a case of should it be televised; it WILL be televised.

Watch if you want, don't watch if you don't want to.
  • Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,228
    Forum Member
    Damanda wrote: »

Mind you....... they televised Stephen gatelys funeral :confused:

But was it considered a huge event?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »
    It's not a case of should it be televised; it WILL be televised.

Watch if you want, don't watch if you don't want to.

Absolutely. I was not fan of hers or her policies BUT a lot of people were.Personally, I cannot get up enough emotion to care one way or another.... she is dead, nothing can be changed. Move on. Name calling and insuts are all a bit late and IMO childish.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course it should be televised but on only one BBC channel please
    Not

BBC1
    BBC News Channel
    BBC Parliament

If it's on BBC1 the other channels should provide alternative programming
  • Options
    soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2 minute report on the late night news should suffice. Don't want any of this wall to wall business. Those of us who lived through the 80s remember well what went on and how policies were created to try and remove the working class society. I now live within walking distance of the former Longbridge car factory in Birmingham and there are still many ppl bitter about what she did to the unions.