Options

Shops throwing away games.....

sahisahi Posts: 185
Forum Member
I was looking at vids on Youtube today about gaming and came across vids posted by people from the states that were going through bins outside 'Gamestop', the US equivalent to 'Game' over here in the UK. And it showed them finding some games thrown away by the shop. And so it got me thinking if shops like that do that over here as well. Places such as 'Game' and 'CEX'. Has anyone ever come across anything like that? or heard about anything like that?

Comments

• Options
    mojobrewmojobrew Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds ridiculous, surely they'd more likely offer then for pennies than bin them.

Even better to offer them for free then to bin them, think of the positive rep for doing that
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    Possibly returned faulty games that they can't do anything with apart from bin them.
  • Options
    sahisahi Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    gds1972 wrote: »
    Possibly returned faulty games that they can't do anything with apart from bin them.
    Possibly some of them, not all. Otherwise I don't think people would bother posting their finds onto Youtube.
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sahi wrote: »
    Possibly some of them, not all. Otherwise I don't think people would bother posting their finds onto Youtube.

Yes they would. It's Youtube! :D
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would imagine they are games that are scratched or something and wont play?

Or just games that are so old and will sit on the shelves for months and will only sell for coppers. They might as well fill their floor space with games that will only sit there for days and sell for pounds.
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably just boxed PC games.
  • Options
    alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    Sometimes - if they have a ton of unsold stock - they can negotiate refund credits with the publisher against future games. They no longer own them so can't sell them but the publisher doesn't want them back as the shipping costs more than printing new discs.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    In those vids they also show things like cables and game pads etc all thrown away.
  • Options
    kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have they not heard of get this free when you buy any other game or what not lol
  • Options
    Super Dog ManSuper Dog Man Posts: 4,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was younger and Blockbuster still had a shop by my house they used to throw away old videos that they could not sell, ie no box.

Made some great finds, until the started putting their bins in a locked store.