plusnet fibre

13»

Comments

• Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    the "white box" is the openreach VDSL modem that you needed.

Cheers mate.
    Got to say too impresed with plusnet only had one drop out and that was a line test done at 3am lol so far i'm convinced i made the right choice, being able to use my own router is a huge plus too.
  • Options
    biggytbiggyt Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    the "white box" is the openreach VDSL modem that you needed.
    Surely gother already had a VDSL modem as they say they switched from TalkTalk fibre to Plusnet fibre?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    biggyt wrote: »
    Surely gother already had a VDSL modem as they say they switched from TalkTalk fibre to Plusnet fibre?

No talktalks router was their new superhub so it plugged straight into the master socket reason i switched to plusnet was talktalks cs were as usefull as a chocolate teapot so i cancelled within my 14 day cooling off period.
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

talktalk self install with combined modem/router
  • Options
    biggytbiggyt Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    Oo, I never got one of them. I had a VDSL modem and a cable router
  • Options
    pattycakepattycake Posts: 4,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am now getting the full 40mb using the supplied Technicolour router so obviously I have no complaints with it so far.
  • Options
    IvesyIvesy Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    I had a hell of a problem with fibre from Plusnet. I was expecting speeds of 80mb/s but got no more than 20mb/s. Thats when it worked. This was when i was using wireless but when I plugged the laptop direct to the router I was getting the full speed. It was doing my head in. In desperation after trying loads of things I unplugged the 2 ethernet cables from the router that went to the blu ray player and the freesat box and....never had any problems since.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ivesy wrote: »
    I had a hell of a problem with fibre from Plusnet. I was expecting speeds of 80mb/s but got no more than 20mb/s. Thats when it worked. This was when i was using wireless but when I plugged the laptop direct to the router I was getting the full speed. It was doing my head in. In desperation after trying loads of things I unplugged the 2 ethernet cables from the router that went to the blu ray player and the freesat box and....never had any problems since.

so you didn't have any problems with plusnet fibre then.
    what you actually had was a problem with your own internal network.
    the fault lay with your equipment, not with plusnet or the bt openreach network.
  • Options
    Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    I was talking to someone at Plusnet about some technical issues today and at the end of the conversation asked him why people (like me) who are connected directly to the exchange, not through a cabinet, cannot have the fibre service..

He was aware of this issue and told me what apparently is the official line
    "The service could be provided but BT would have to install the equipment in the exchange, they won't do that as there are not potential customers to make it worthwhile. If you getting 20Mb download speed (which I am) most people are happy with that and do not want any more".

That does surprise me as many exchanges are in built up areas and there surely would be the demand. I have an disused Virgin cable connection into my house but I would rather not deal with them again.
  • Options
    1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ivesy wrote: »
    so you didn't have any problems with plusnet fibre then.
    what you actually had was a problem with your own internal network.
    the fault lay with your equipment, not with plusnet or the bt openreach network.

Agree, how the hell is it Plusnets fault, if ivesy had a crap internal network :confused:
  • Options
    nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    Mike_1101 wrote: »
    He was aware of this issue and told me what apparently is the official line "The service could be provided but BT would have to install the equipment in the exchange, they won't do that as there are not potential customers to make it worthwhile. If you getting 20Mb download speed (which I am) most people are happy with that and do not want any more".

Seems rather suspect. I live on the Isle of Wight, a backwater in some respects, and my ISP, Zen, had no problem at all getting BT to install my Fibre Optic line. I currently enjoy just under 38mbps, So why can't own trumpet blowers PlusNet offer something similar?
  • Options
    littleboolittleboo Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mike_1101 wrote: »
    I was talking to someone at Plusnet about some technical issues today and at the end of the conversation asked him why people (like me) who are connected directly to the exchange, not through a cabinet, cannot have the fibre service..

He was aware of this issue and told me what apparently is the official line
    "The service could be provided but BT would have to install the equipment in the exchange, they won't do that as there are not potential customers to make it worthwhile. If you getting 20Mb download speed (which I am) most people are happy with that and do not want any more".

That does surprise me as many exchanges are in built up areas and there surely would be the demand. I have an disused Virgin cable connection into my house but I would rather not deal with them again.

I think he's talking out of his hat.
  • Options
    TheRottweilerTheRottweiler Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    Does the Apple Time Capsule work with Plusnet fibre ok, already have the open reach modem
  • Options
    James30James30 Posts: 5,201
    Forum Member
    I have just switched from TalkTalk FTTC to Plusnet FTTC. During the ordering process I had to choose a date for an engineer visit, what will this involve as I already have an Openreach VDSL modem and a compatible router.

This is what puts me off ordering fibre. I don't really want a day in just so that an engineer can plug in a router and connect it to another.

I buy my own router (which is so much better than the tat the ISP provides) and can connect the Internet myself. I'm not dim like most people when it comes to tech as I do my research.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James30 wrote: »
    This is what puts me off ordering fibre. I don't really want a day in just so that an engineer can plug in a router and connect it to another.

I buy my own router (which is so much better than the tat the ISP provides) and can connect the Internet myself. I'm not dim like most people when it comes to tech as I do my research.

the OR engineer doesn't touch the router during installation.
    they are there to do the work at the exchange, the cabinet, and at your master socket.
    that involves changing the faceplate, doing line tests from your master socket (to ensure there are no faults) and connect the OR modem.

if you don't want an engineer visit then choose an ISP that offers a self-install option.
    plusnet do not offer a self-install option.
  • Options
    kmmoorekmmoore Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    @bpullen

Hi Bob,

A quick question for you...

I have just signed up to Plusnet Fibre 40/20 and am moving over from John Lewis ADSL max...(because JL don't do unlimited Fibre)

I read a previous post saying that people moving from ADSL to FTTC may not (initially) have a profile set for Fibre...Am I likely to have any speed issues when the engineer comes to install everything on Dec 3rd?

Will I get the full 40/20 speeds straight away (my line speed test shows I should expect 77Mb, but I went with the 40/20 because of the great price), or will I not really see anything like 40Mb downstream for a while after installation?

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    kmmoore wrote: »
    Hi Bob,

Hi!
    I have just signed up to Plusnet Fibre 40/20 and am moving over from John Lewis ADSL max...(because JL don't do unlimited Fibre)

I read a previous post saying that people moving from ADSL to FTTC may not (initially) have a profile set for Fibre...Am I likely to have any speed issues when the engineer comes to install everything on Dec 3rd?

No, because you will be using different login credentials and a different account to log into the fibre service. Because of this, there's no risk of your account being left on an ADSL profile at this side. BT's side, the profile change should be immediate too.
    Will I get the full 40/20 speeds straight away (my line speed test shows I should expect 77Mb, but I went with the 40/20 because of the great price), or will I not really see anything like 40Mb downstream for a while after installation?

As above, you should be good to go immediately :)

Apologies for the delayed reply BTW, I've been out of the country this last week.

Best regards,

Bob Pullen
    Plusnet
  • Options
    Rossby41Rossby41 Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bpullen wrote: »
    Anyway, it's worth noting that this time next year, when Wholesale wash their hands of the VDSL modems, the onus will be on the ISP to replace a faulty unit with their own kit.

I take then Plusnet will then start looking at providing a all in one fibre modem router bpullen?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    We're already looking and yes, that's the plan :)

Regards,

Bob
    Plusnet
  • Options
    Rossby41Rossby41 Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant. I will be looking at resigning a new contract when you do offer an all in one jobbette.
  • Options
    Drinking_GeckoDrinking_Gecko Posts: 2,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in the Bridlington area (YO16) and have been having constant issues with Plusnet fibre over the past couple of weeks, web pages are periodically taking minutes to load, sometimes instantly but other times the text is loading and then waiting ages for all the images to load, at other times the websites won't load at all. I've tried on numerous different sites (BBC, Amazon, Google search etc.) and I am having the same problem across the board. I've also tried using a different laptop and even my phone on wifi and these are all having the same problems.

Anyone know if any current issues? Its getting to a point where it's becoming unusable
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    talktalk self install with combined modem/router

Bit late lol but yeah that's the router i got.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Hi all,
    Been with Plusnet Fibre for 6 months now with no problems until recently. Ethernet connections work OK but pings have doubled i.e. from 11 to 23+ and speeds have dropped from 31mbps to 23/24 constant throughout the day.
    However my main concern is wireless connectivity. Wireless connections continually drop out several times a day and speeds drop as low as 3mbps. I constantly get "out of range" errors on wireless even when I am sitting 4 feet from router with nothing between us. As an IT "professional" I know what to try e.g. change channels etc: before phoning Plusnet Support.
    The crux of my problem is that when I phoned Plusnet Support I was told by the Customer Services Rep. that Plusnet does not support wireless connectivity only wired. I explained that all my diagnostic tools suggested that the wi fi side of the router was faulty. The solution...as Plusnet does not support wireless was to either:

a) Phone the routers manufacturer regarding a fault on the kit. I explained that I thought that as my contract was with Plusnet and my router is fairly new it should be under warranty and I should deal with Plusnet as they supplied the equipment and not the manufacturer
    or
    b) Go and buy a new router and try that as it should work or buy one from them for £40.
    Is Plusnet the only ISP who does not support wireless? I was previously with Sky and they always supported wireless.
    Cheers,
    Dez
  • Options
    racey43racey43 Posts: 224
    Forum Member
    djp326 wrote: »
    The crux of my problem is that when I phoned Plusnet Support I was told by the Customer Services Rep. that Plusnet does not support wireless connectivity only wired. I explained that all my diagnostic tools suggested that the wi fi side of the router was faulty. The solution...as Plusnet does not support wireless was to either:

a) Phone the routers manufacturer regarding a fault on the kit. I explained that I thought that as my contract was with Plusnet and my router is fairly new it should be under warranty and I should deal with Plusnet as they supplied the equipment and not the manufacturer
    or
    b) Go and buy a new router and try that as it should work or buy one from them for £40.
    Is Plusnet the only ISP who does not support wireless? I was previously with Sky and they always supported wireless.
    Cheers,
    Dez
    It's annoying when the supplier tries to fob you off by asking you to contact the manufacturer. The seller who supplied the kit is responsible for its suitable for purpose. Plusnet supply a "wireless router" so it's ridiculous for them to say they do not support wireless. It's like a TV seller saying they are not responsible for the sound.
    I'll be interested to see how this works out as I'm thinking of trying Plusnet myself. Hopefully there'll be a satisfactory solution.