Options

The Last Ship - UK Pace

Comments

• Options
    ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    To be fair, it's not as though there are no Cockneys outside of TV land. Just because it might be cliche to have someone with a broad Cockney accent doesn't make it unrealistic, necessarily. Such people do exist :D

I must admit I never thought twice about the accents.
  • Options
    Early BirdEarly Bird Posts: 2,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Lollygag" was my favourite. :D
    what is a lollygag?

or 'on the lamb' - is that a gesture towards the welsh and kiwi viewers? :confused::confused:
  • Options
    grees_00grees_00 Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Early Bird wrote: »
    what is a lollygag?

or 'on the lamb' - is that a gesture towards the welsh and kiwi viewers? :confused::confused:

lollygag
    verb
    1.To idle about; goof off

LAM
    noun
    1. a hasty escape; flight.

verb (used without object), lammed, lamming.

2. to run away quickly; escape; flee:
    I'm going to lam out of here as soon as I've finished.
    Idioms
    3. on the lam, escaping, fleeing, or hiding, especially from the police:
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thrombin wrote: »
    To be fair, it's not as though there are no Cockneys outside of TV land. Just because it might be cliche to have someone with a broad Cockney accent doesn't make it unrealistic, necessarily. Such people do exist :D

I must admit I never thought twice about the accents.

That's true but to have a whole submarine crewed almost entirely crewed by Cockney hardmen is extrememely if not totally unrealistic.

I think I heard someone with an east European accent on the sub last week. That would tie in with what the President was saying about Sean making his broadcasts in other languages such as Bulgarian
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    The scenes between the captain and president, especially the one after the suicide attempt, were really well done. It helped show why this cult has taken such a hold amongst the survivors so quickly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It seems like Sean Ramsey's thugs are all graduates of the Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy as not one of them hit any of the good guys

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ImperialStormtrooperMarksmanshipAcademy
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    The scenes between the captain and president, especially the one after the suicide attempt, were really well done. It helped show why this cult has taken such a hold amongst the survivors so quickly.

agreed, they were great scenes and the whole episode was great
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Last week's post-apocalyptic fiction cliche was "a bunch of kids with guns threatening our heroes"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    Last week's post-apocalyptic fiction cliche was "a bunch of kids with guns threatening our heroes"

true but it was a good episode, the best part was when Niels died
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Niels is no loss to humanity, he is responsible for wiping out most of humanity and now that he is dead Dr Scott knows how to spread the cure
  • Options
    jedi mattjedi matt Posts: 1,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'm wondering how they are going to get out to the public that the video shot of them firing was twisted to make it look as if they fired the first shot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Some very interesting developments. I hope that submarine gets its comeuppance by the end of the season!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some questions about Ramsey's three thugs that were being held prisoner

Firstly did they know that the guy they shot last week was only a kid??

Secondly did he shoot first??

Thirdly were our "heroes" going to execute them??

Fourthly after Ramsey shot up the civilian fleet and blamed the Nathan James was the thug who grassed Ramsey going to catch a bullet in the head from the Navy guys on the inflatable??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hmmmmm.... the Brit just said 'lew'tenant commander... instead of the 'left'tenant commander.. for the Lt. Commander

<tut-tut>
  • Options
    Forum Member
    hmmmmm.... the Brit just said 'lew'tenant commander... instead of the 'left'tenant commander.. for the Lt. Commander

<tut-tut>

To be fair, I've watched so much American television that , these days, I often end up saying lew-tenant too :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thrombin wrote: »
    To be fair, I've watched so much American television that , these days, I often end up saying lew-tenant too :D
    yes, but you are not in the Royal Navy (Armed Forces)....

How many of our Armed Forces personnel would say it that way? you would have the piss taken out of you, royally! :o

I know this particular bloke is not actually a commissioned Officer, but still... if he'd been in the RN for a certain amount of time... he'd know the correct way to say it... as he would have been 'pulled up' about it....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    good episode, i really hope they sink that submarine soon
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The next series will probably be even more gung ho....

The guy who shot Dr Scott at the end said "sic semper tyrannis" which translates as "thus always to tyrants" . John Wilkes Booth is alleged to have said the same words as he assassinated Abraham Lincoln.
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great ending. Even though Dr scott was shot, i think she'll survive. Cant wait for season 3.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »
    Great ending. Even though Dr scott was shot, i think she'll survive. Cant wait for season 3.

Dr Scott did give some hints what Season 3 could be about with there being problems in the northwest and southwest
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    No concrete start date for Season 3 yet

http://www.geektown.co.uk/tvairdates/the-last-ship/
  • Options
    LeeleeSTARLeeleeSTAR Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    No concrete start date for Season 3 yet

http://www.geektown.co.uk/tvairdates/the-last-ship/

I love this show, they better not silently drop it like they have with other shows in the past.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LeeleeSTAR wrote: »
    I love this show, they better not silently drop it like they have with other shows in the past.
    Think this is the last season...... more than likely SKY will wait till it sees the US viewing figures....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Think this is the last season...... more than likely SKY will wait till it sees the US viewing figures....

Well they are running out of foreign nations to be the Big Bad of each season :)