Options

The Walking Dead - Season 5 - Spike pace (no spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5pike - Or is that too confusing? :D
    I was going to suggest that but it seemed too obvious :p and thinking about it, would require a whole new logo redesign team on the case who would insist on it being bigger and more obvious/complicated and take up even more space on the screen. Thank goodness they don't have massive quarter-screen cards to tell us what's coming up next, that would get annoying.
    MrSuper wrote: »
    So who's watching brand new season 5 of The Walking Dead on Spike UK?
    Yes!
    Bummer that the rescue plan involved blowing things up though - it meant they couldn't have a good rummage through the lost property office and Michonne didn't get a chance to pick up her sword - though maybe that was deliberate because she was too good with it? On the other hand, the escape was suitably chaotic that it felt 'real' and the entire tour group stopping at the gift shop would have spoiled that I think.

So what happens if you eat someone that has been bitten but not yet turned, and are we about to find out...? I hope they had a proper side salad with that leg.
    And I think we've been fed enough clues to get half the priest's story almost right and half completely wrong!
  • Options
    Zeppelyn56Zeppelyn56 Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    Not a spoiler as Spike didn't show this post credits scence after Episode 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GR9VYXn37Y
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spike UK are taking the piss if they're cutting out scenes from Ep1 and didn't even show the after-credits scene. Might it have something to do with trying to fit the show into a 1hr timeslot? Lets hope this sort of thing doesn't continue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zeppelyn56 wrote: »
    Not a spoiler as Spike didn't show this post credits scence after Episode 1.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GR9VYXn37Y
    That's actually very disappointing - though depending on exactly where in the credit sequence it had been, there might be a logical explanation - e.g. somewhere immediately before/after a card that changes depending on channel/locality and someone did a misjudged 'ends here' chop. Reminds me of when a decently emphatic use of closing credit 'thud' (or even 'doof doof' :eek:) gets trashed by the insertion of a phone-in contest announcement.
    Remarks below the video about plant growth suggest it's a significant time later but ivy grows fast and it's not vastly different so I'm not sure how much we really ought to read into it timescale-wise.

As for what we see I did look at hints as to what it may imply regarding what might lie ahead :
    tag probably not needed but just in case not everyone has checked that clip... I looked on IMDB and the character doesn't reappear for a while - I only looked at the listing of episodes where the character is credited so I have no idea in what capacity - i.e. whether active or in a historical clip. I don't have a problem with knowing in advance if someone will make an appearance as long as the details of the appearance aren't given away - unless it's meant to be a proper surprise (re)appearance, e.g. a baddie back from the dead *again*.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spike UK are taking the piss if they're cutting out scenes from Ep1 and didn't even show the after-credits scene. Might it have something to do with trying to fit the show into a 1hr timeslot? Lets hope this sort of thing doesn't continue.

As previously mentioned, FOX also cut episode 1 when they showed it at 9.00pm, but not the later repeats. On the main thread it was suggested that this was down to OFCOM regulations covering the watershed transition which is supposed to be gradual, ie not having full blown guts, gore, blood, violence or very strong language at 9.02pm! But I agree that they don't really have an excuse for not showing the after-credits sequence.
  • Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,896
    Forum Member
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    As previously mentioned, FOX also cut episode 1 when they showed it at 9.00pm, but not the later repeats. On the main thread it was suggested that this was down to OFCOM regulations covering the watershed transition which is supposed to be gradual, ie not having full blown guts, gore, blood, violence or very strong language at 9.02pm! But I agree that they don't really have an excuse for not showing the after-credits sequence.

They need to show it at 10pm really then.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    Ofcom didn't even exist until 12 years ago, and I don't recall any "gradual" transition prior to then i.e. you were good to go at 9pm. Funny how these unelected quangos spring up from nowhere and start telling us what we can and cannot do. It is even more absurd when you can just log on to Channel 5's website and tick a box to say you are 18 and watch the full episode at any time of the day.
  • Options
    innes_calaninnes_calan Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    Hi there, watched the same episode but didn, t get the feeling it was cut! The scene looked gory enough with them getting clubbed the their throats cut, what was missing then?
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    L0GAN5 wrote: »
    Ofcom didn't even exist until 12 years ago, and I don't recall any "gradual" transition prior to then i.e. you were good to go at 9pm.
    I do. For example, when C4 did their Red Triangle late night foreign-language art files, they could only get away with it by putting them on very late at night (11:30pm or later, as I recall). They couldn't broadcast that sort of art at 9pm. That was 1982.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi there, watched the same episode but didn, t get the feeling it was cut! The scene looked gory enough with them getting clubbed the their throats cut, what was missing then?

You didn't actually see that though did you? It was all implied. So in answer to your question the clubbing and throat-cutting was cut. If you want to see exactly what was cut then click on the link I provided.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The late evening Thursday night repeat was uncut. Therefore we have two choices for the full version: the online catch-up service and the Thursday evening repeat. It's good that the uncut version is available but it's a shame that most people will probably end up watching the cut version.
  • Options
    DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The late evening Thursday night repeat was uncut. Therefore we have two choices for the full version: the online catch-up service and the Thursday evening repeat. It's good that the uncut version is available but it's a shame that most people will probably end up watching the cut version.

I find that the cut version is gory enough for me, so don't mind if something has been cut. I also don't like seeing trailers after the show, so am happy to miss those.

What I would like is subtitles, as I find some of the dialogue difficult the hear. Spike is not keen of subtitles though - probably because the channel is aimed at the young male group who are assumed to have perfect hearing! :)
  • Options
    montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I watched the original Friday evening broadcast and I saw heads being clubbed and throats being cut.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I watched the original Friday evening broadcast and I saw heads being clubbed and throats being cut.

You think you did, but most of it was implied by clever editing. I compared them both last night. Take the first "slaughter" for instance: in the cut version you see the blonde bloke clubbed, and then you see someone put a knife to his throat and in the next frame he is pulling it away. You don't actually see the blade slicing through his throat. You don't see the blood gush out of his throat. The second killing is even more cut: you see the bloke swing the bat but you don't see it make contact with his head. You don't see his throat cut. You don't see blood gush from his throat. You just see the cannibal swing the bat and then the second victim is suddenly slumped over the trough. Unless you have actually watched the uncut version you are not really in a position to determine how much was cut out, and it was nearly all cut. You only saw one clubbing (there were actually three) and you saw NO throat cutting in the cut version.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... You only saw one clubbing (there were actually three) and you saw NO throat cutting in the cut version.
    I wasn't too fussed either way about this because I don't think the one where the cameraman needs an umbrella is necessarily better (for this type of show) - and certainly some decent editing has been involved so this bit isn't something I would complain about - the missing post-credit scene really shouldn't have been taken out though even if it didn't break anything.

On the pedantry front, I was curious enough to look again and counted 4 non-escapees at the bash'n'slash - you definitely see #1 and #3 being bashed on the head and not-quite with #2 and #4, with all slashes unseen though #1 and #3 being very cunningly close.

I'm not sure anything was done to the cheesewire scene at the hospital but even if there was, I thought that was extremely effective with only a minimal amount of 'actually seen'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think cutting down this particular sequence definitely hurt the scene; the gore is integral to the brutality of the sequence, which is integral to the dehumanisation of the survivors. But regardless of how we all personally feel about the sequence I just don't understand the logic of buying the rights to a zombie series and then cutting it. If there is a legal reason why they can't broadcast it at 9pm then I don't understand why they don't just show it an hour later. I don't understand why they think that people who tune in to watch a zombie series would be happy to watch a cut version.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand. About a week ago I saw this thread and looked at my EPG, and they listed an episode on Spike as from Series 3. So naturally I thought a mistake had been made with this thread.
    But coming back to this thread people are talking about the series as if it is Series 5.

So can somebody explain what's going on? Are you guys talking about Series 5 being shown somewhere else?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So can somebody explain what's going on? Are you guys talking about Series 5 being shown somewhere else?
    It's definitely Season 5, Spike (UK) pace, two episodes a week, eps 1&2 last Friday, eps 3&4 last night with a re-showing with apparently less cuts on Thursday nights (though after midnight so technically and confusingly also Fridays).

I think Season 3 was being re-shown just before this but as far as I can tell, not Season 4.

[ I put 'Spike (UK)' because I have no idea where else it might appear when it's not on Freeview ]
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DJW13 wrote: »
    I also don't like seeing trailers after the show, so am happy to miss those.

It wasn't a trailer though, It was a scene from the episode just shown after the credits.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's definitely Season 5, Spike (UK) pace, two episodes a week, eps 1&2 last Friday, eps 3&4 last night with a re-showing with apparently less cuts on Thursday nights (though after midnight so technically and confusingly also Fridays).

I think Season 3 was being re-shown just before this but as far as I can tell, not Season 4.

[ I put 'Spike (UK)' because I have no idea where else it might appear when it's not on Freeview ]

Oh FFS.>:( What did they do that for?
    Thanks to them I missed the start of Series 5 just because they listed it as Series 3 on the date the OP stated just before Series 5 started, so naturally I thought a mistake had been made.

I'm not going to start watching it now when the series has already shown a few episodes. Thanks for letting me know.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Season 3 and Season 5 are being shown at the same time on Spike UK.

Season 5 TWD episodes premiere on Friday nights at 9pm.
    I'm not going to start watching it now when the series has already shown a few episodes. Thanks for letting me know.

Not to fret, you can catch up with the episodes you've missed on Demand 5 online. Spike UK shows are included if you use Demand 5.
  • Options
    Dilly DaydreamDilly Daydream Posts: 6,191
    Forum Member
    I'm so glad I have FOX TV and have already seen all series. Can't wait for Series 6 in October. Spike TVs screenings seem really haphazard.

I'm currently re-watching Series 2 on FOX, can't believe how young Carl and Daryl look. Also had forgotten how quick the walkers were, running even, compared to now, they are really slow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh FFS.>:( What did they do that for?
    Thanks to them I missed the start of Series 5 just because they listed it as Series 3 on the date the OP stated just before Series 5 started, so naturally I thought a mistake had been made.

The first two episodes are on Demand Five for 4 more days: http://www.channel5.com/shows/the-walking-dead/episodes

Episodes 3 & 4 will be repeated on Spike on Thursday evening. IMO you are better off the repeats. I know that Demand Five is crap, but if you just watch those two episodes online you have basically caught up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must say I wasn't entirely surprised when the truth about Eugene's mission finally came out though I'm wondering if it might still be 'on' but in a different sense because I have my suspicions about Abraham's non-healing wound that doesn't seem to have killed him yet, or do we not do 'convenient' like that?
    Finding that farm is a good reminder that there's still places where the things all accumulate - because in spite of seeing that group of failed hitchhikers it has seemed somewhat quiet. Is there something about manure that they like? Maybe they can use a bucket of it to keep them off the food?

And it's a shame the fire station didn't have a snowplough attachment in stock, that might have been quite handy...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Season 3 and Season 5 are being shown at the same time on Spike UK.

Season 5 TWD episodes premiere on Friday nights at 9pm.

Not to fret, you can catch up with the episodes you've missed on Demand 5 online. Spike UK shows are included if you use Demand 5.
    The first two episodes are on Demand Five for 4 more days: http://www.channel5.com/shows/the-walking-dead/episodes

Episodes 3 & 4 will be repeated on Spike on Thursday evening. IMO you are better off the repeats. I know that Demand Five is crap, but if you just watch those two episodes online you have basically caught up.

Thanks. I won't watch TV shows on my computer though. I'll have to hope it makes its way onto TV at some later date.