Under The Dome S3 (UK pace)

AKFEAKFE Posts: 6,875
Forum Member
I can't find a thread anywhere else for the UK pace UTD series 3 which started 29 June 2015 on Channel 5, so starting one here. If there's another thread somewhere else, perhaps the admin people could merge?

I'm assuming there's someone watching but maybe not now the story has gone to a completely new level of weirdness. It always was odd but I'm not following at all now so hoping someone can explain what the hell's going on. I assume Melanie is controlling them or playing with them like characters in a computer game? That would explain some of it but I've no idea what the Yemen scenes were about.

Help!

Comments

• Rosie RedRosie Red Posts: 8,446
    Forum Member
    AKFE wrote: »
    I can't find a thread anywhere else for the UK pace UTD series 3 which started 29 June 2015 on Channel 5, so starting one here. If there's another thread somewhere else, perhaps the admin people could merge?

I'm assuming there's someone watching but maybe not now the story has gone to a completely new level of weirdness. It always was odd but I'm not following at all now so hoping someone can explain what the hell's going on. I assume Melanie is controlling them or playing with them like characters in a computer game? That would explain some of it but I've no idea what the Yemen scenes were about.

Help!

I'd guess that the dome is still up, and everything they're experiencing now is, as Ben said, not real. Barbie was never in the Yemen, Julia, Junior and Big Jim aren't dead.
  • MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Help!

You're not alone. I caught up yesterday and was completely confused as well.:D
  • AKFEAKFE Posts: 6,875
    Forum Member
    Rosie Red wrote: »
    I'd guess that the dome is still up, and everything they're experiencing now is, as Ben said, not real. Barbie was never in the Yemen, Julia, Junior and Big Jim aren't dead.

Yes, that would be an explanation. So the only ones living in 'the real world' and present day are Junior and Julia, and maybe Big Jim? The others are all suspended in time and it will be the job of the 3 Js (well Junior and Julia) to bring them back?
    Forum Member
    You're not alone. I caught up yesterday and was completely confused as well.:D

I watched the first part again when it was on Channel 5+1 just now and it did make a bit more sense, knowing how the episode would pan out. They seemed to be trying to convey that it was all unreal, like a dream sequence. Still bloomin' peculiar though!
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone on the US thread said that they had employed the writers who were left over when Lost finished!
  • StigidStigid Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Incomprehensible load of twaddle, I'll not be watching if this continues.
    Forum Member
    Gill P wrote: »
    Someone on the US thread said that they had employed the writers who were left over when Lost finished!

Sounds about right.

I don't know what the viewing figures are but I suspect Channel 5 will be moving future episodes to the post-midnight slot in no time.
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So did any of us really think they got out? Or was the first suspicion that there had to be a trick somewhere?
    ... They seemed to be trying to convey that it was all unreal, like a dream sequence. Still bloomin' peculiar though!
    On the basis that it looks like a matrix made of icky purple giant cockroach shaped people pods I would say that "bloomin' peculiar" really doesn't do it proper justice!

So is Barbie the only one who experienced anything between entering the mist and 'one year later', and does he actually remember that?
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ok first off, what in the actual F... is going on here?

to answer the question, it would seem Melaine is keeping them all, and is using their minds to generate an experience for Barbie. However why this crazy is going on, is totally beyond me.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I turned it off after 30 minutes it was giving me a headache.
  • Mr Master XMr Master X Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some really novice scfifi followers here if you're finding it THAT hard to follow. It's relatively tame to me.

As to what's going on...maybe some sort of alien "transport ship" is below the town, with it designed to situate below a habit zone, then the shield goes up around it to protect the town/people area above. The pods they're in being for a long journey, the VR for mental stimulation/entertainment. Maybe the whole process is just malfunctioing? I don't think it was meant for THIS town's residents, though. Maybe an alien colony? And the egg arriving meteor style was sent to signal/start retrieval of their colonists, maybe because something bad is to happen to Earth, so they were in danger? So it's just some quick "colony retrieval system".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reasonable theory but I am still not sure that this is all there is to it. I agree about the "entertainment" idea but not sure it is aliens from another planet.
  • Ten_BenTen_Ben Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad I'm not the only one! I was so looking forward to this series, but that first episode was just incomprehensible. I know the show is mad, surreal and off-beat - that was part of its charm, along with its ability not to take itself seriously.

However, it needed some kind of recap to the end of s2, which we didn't really get, nor were there any real references to the four hands, the egg, Barbie's father or Zenith. Maybe it'll start to make a bit more sense in the next couple of weeks. At least there was the continuity of Julia still having her bandage over her jeans :D.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...maybe some sort of alien "transport ship" is below the town, ...
    I'd be more inclined to go with 'test lab' by persons or things unknown (even if what appears to be the controller looks like Melanie who might turn out to have been a plant* all along).

And I should revise my previous description - looking back, the ick-filled purple people pods have more of the appearance of chrysaliseses which I think fits well with the butterfly theme though it would seem at odds with the 'test lab' theory unless the shape is a fashion statement by the collective intelligence of their insect overlords.

* as in planted in the memories, as opposed to having roots and leaves and stuff
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite things about this episode were:
    1. "But what if it [the portal] takes us into an alternate reality?" spoiler in the voiceover at the beginning
    2. Big Jim shooting his tv saying "There's nothing on tv nowadays anyway"
    3. Sam saying that his lawyer reckoned he had grounds for appeal due to "issues with the chain of evidence" in his case. You think?! Considering there were no proper police in the town when the evidence was collected?! I would love to see some court scenes covering his trial (yes, I know it's all in his mind.)
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some really novice scfifi followers here if you're finding it THAT hard to follow. It's relatively tame to me.

As to what's going on...maybe some sort of alien "transport ship" is below the town, with it designed to situate below a habit zone, then the shield goes up around it to protect the town/people area above. The pods they're in being for a long journey, the VR for mental stimulation/entertainment. Maybe the whole process is just malfunctioing? I don't think it was meant for THIS town's residents, though. Maybe an alien colony? And the egg arriving meteor style was sent to signal/start retrieval of their colonists, maybe because something bad is to happen to Earth, so they were in danger? So it's just some quick "colony retrieval system".
    I fear the actual reason for the dome, wont be nearly as good
    Forum Member
    catsitter wrote: »
    My favourite things about this episode were:
    1. "But what if it [the portal] takes us into an alternate reality?" spoiler in the voiceover at the beginning
    2. Big Jim shooting his tv saying "There's nothing on tv nowadays anyway"
    3. Sam saying that his lawyer reckoned he had grounds for appeal due to "issues with the chain of evidence" in his case. You think?! Considering there were no proper police in the town when the evidence was collected?! I would love to see some court scenes covering his trial (yes, I know it's all in his mind.)

Ha ha, I do love the ironic comedy in UTD. I know much of it is hilarious but when it takes the pee out of itself, it's great.
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always find this show enjoyable. Yes it's silly, but it's fun silly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't realise that the US got a two hour first episode whereas we only got an hour! Presumably we will get the rest of this next Monday. Very strange though!
  • djleekeedjleekee Posts: 1,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just caught my very first episode of this ever on C5 this week.

Assumed it was season 1 not 3!

All a bit wild and wacky but that is whats rather good about it! Have I missed much from the last two seasons?
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »
    That was great. I was all, "Wait, what?" No-one had been remotely thinking about that going in.

This show has always been barmy, and generally knows it. Because of that I have more time for it than I have for, say, Falling Skies, which I suspect I will not be bothering with.
    Forum Member
    I love the trailer for next week where Julia decks Big Jim, especially the sound effect.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit I watch this to see Mike Vogel! I know I'm shallow and too old to say things like this! But who cares?
  • Mr CellophaneMr Cellophane Posts: 2,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I missed epi. 1 and will not have the chance to catch up (internet very flaky where I am at the moment) - but I should be able to catch epi. 2 - from what I am reading on here, it is the second chunk of a two parter - will it make any sense to me, do you think?
    (I did see all of S1 and S2, but my memory is a little hazy... )

Since S2 ended I have (finally) watched S1 and 2 of 'Breaking Bad' - I had no idea Dean Norris could act - he certainly keeps it well hidden in this show, as do most of the rest of the cast.

But as long as there is plenty of screen time for the rather tasty Julia, I won't be too unhappy!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I missed epi. 1 and will not have the chance to catch up (internet very flaky where I am at the moment) - but I should be able to catch epi. 2 - from what I am reading on here, it is the second chunk of a two parter - will it make any sense to me, do you think?
    I think you might not have too much of a problem - so far it seems to have been a recap with some slight hints at adjustment along with a certain amount of 'what if' because of the 'one year later' which presumably is not a year of real time though if it is that might make things even weirder. It's definitely worth seeing the episode but if ep.2 is anything like the first, if might be almost safe-ish to watch it in the wrong order.
    I did see all of S1 and S2, but my memory is a little hazy...
    I'm not sure this will be too much of a problem - there will no doubt be no shortage of flashbacks - I hope they don't overdo it!