LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 30)

Comments

• clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting topic. Should probably be on the politics thread but so long as we keep mentioning Cristo, we might get away with it. I had a rummage on Google and found this from the last GE. For those of a nervous disposition, it's about Lord Mandelson! :D

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/philipjohnston/10010887/Could_PM_ever_be_PM/

Morning all. :)

Cristo's explanation of AV2 (I think he meant AV Plus) was another confused gem as was him trying to explain that when you vote for UKIP your vote is transferred to The Labour Party.
  • BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    clitheroe1 wrote: »
    It's a familiar path for LibDem candidates: fail spectacularly to become London mayor and given a consolation prize of a peerage. It happened for Susan Kramer and then Brian Paddick who last time was ignominiously beaten into fourth place by Jenny Jones.

And Jenny got one too which is equally laughable.
  • Crawley CutieCrawley Cutie Posts: 10,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Twinks - Long time, since you posted here!

Ditto from me :)

I miss your posts, Twinks x

heiker wrote: »

But no......for Iain Dale it was what a terribly nice guy Ed Miliband is?

I appreciate balance & impartiality in the LBC presenters. However, Iain Dale was gushing in his Ed Miliband praise :confused:

Well you're wrong there: the most incompetent Prime Minister was John Major followed closely by David Cameron.

Well, that is your personal opinion. Others with different opinions will not change their minds. IMO, there is no 'Right' or 'Wrong' ......

Hopefully, those in charge will give some leeway & take in consideration that it is Election time. We are inundated with political talk from all the Presenters....

Enjoy your weekend, everyone x
  • Charlie DrakeCharlie Drake Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cristo's explanation of AV2 (I think he meant AV Plus) was another confused gem as was him trying to explain that when you vote for UKIP your vote is transferred to The Labour Party.
    Yes, it was all an incredibly confused ramble by our man from Snorbs.
    To be fair, though, I think he was trying to explain his 'invention' of a type of transferrable vote. He was twisting himself in knots trying to explain something that he didn't understand himself.
    Not for the first time, I found myself thinking that maybe he should steer clear of the thorny topic of politics.
    It really doesn't suit him.
    NA was in good form last night, I thought. Most enjoyable.
  • TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ken still blaming anyone but his innocent mate Rahman for the Tower Hamlets ruling

Edit: he's saying now Rahman is a lovely bloke who was stitched up. The man's an idiot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it was all an incredibly confused ramble by our man from Snorbs.
    To be fair, though, I think he was trying to explain his 'invention' of a type of transferrable vote. He was twisting himself in knots trying to explain something that he didn't understand himself.
    Not for the first time, I found myself thinking that maybe he should steer clear of the thorny topic of politics.
    It really doesn't suit him.
    NA was in good form last night, I thought. Most enjoyable.

Cristo should stick to showbiz fluff because he's always out of his depth when discussing more serious subjects. Get him on something like Karen MacKenzie's shoes in Knots Landing and he's an expert.
  • gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How interesting that we should be discussing non-MPs serving in Government, and Digby Jones turns up on the radio. He's never previously caused a blip on my radar so I looked him up and found this:

On 29 June 2007, Jones became Minister of State for Trade and Investment in both the newly created Department for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform and the Foreign Office. He was appointed as a Government Minister in a move to create a government "of all talents".As he was not a parliamentarian at the time, it was announced that Jones would be made a Life Peer, thus becoming a member of the House of Lords. It was suggested that he was taking the Labour whip in the House of Lords, but he chose not to join the Labour Party.

In ten minutes with K&D he talked more sense than I've heard during the whole GE campaign. I don't care what party he supports, I just want him running the country!
    Forum Member
    How interesting that we should be discussing non-MPs serving in Government, and Digby Jones turns up on the radio. He's never previously caused a blip on my radar so I looked him up and found this:

On 29 June 2007, Jones became Minister of State for Trade and Investment in both the newly created Department for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform and the Foreign Office. He was appointed as a Government Minister in a move to create a government "of all talents".As he was not a parliamentarian at the time, it was announced that Jones would be made a Life Peer, thus becoming a member of the House of Lords. It was suggested that he was taking the Labour whip in the House of Lords, but he chose not to join the Labour Party.

In ten minutes with K&D he talked more sense than I've heard during the whole GE campaign. I don't care what party he supports, I just want him running the country!

He just showed Ken up and that's for sure.

Baroness Warsi was another one who seemed to carry a lot of political clout despite being unelected. Thank god we're rid of her for now at least.
  • Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    P.Ramlee wrote: »
    Why does Cristo hate Labour and Ed Milliband so much?

Possibly because they re not fit to govern and will ruin the country---- yet again

People's memories that short ?:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talma wrote: »
    Ken still blaming anyone but his innocent mate Rahman for the Tower Hamlets ruling

Edit: he's saying now Rahman is a lovely bloke who was stitched up. The man's an idiot.

- to put it mildly
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chuck Wao wrote: »
    Possibly because they re not fit to govern and will ruin the country---- yet again

Cristo's dad doing his bit for the Milliband legend! :D

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/477294/Bizarre-images-of-Labour-s-Ed-Miliband-eating-a-bacon-sandwich-sold-to-him-by-a-TORY-voter
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chuck Wao wrote: »

Cristo is a rabid right winger alright and it colours just about every topic he discusses.

I have a long memory and I remember how the "nasty party' made it illegal for schools to discuss homosexuality and censored the media. I think it's Cristo that has the short memory they are 2 issues very close to his heart.
  • JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    Talma wrote: »

A lot of people said [and I am certainly not one of them], that our Ken was the most corrupt leader the GLC ever had and used many of the practices Rahman used. I lived there during his tenure and can certainly see why such things might be said.

His treatment of MacIntosh was a disgrace. Mrs T saw it coming and warned of it; Micheal Foot, God love him, insisted no such plan was in existence. The day after Labour won, the coup was completed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cristo should stick to showbiz fluff because he's always out of his depth when discussing more serious subjects..

Yes - come on Cristo you're way out of your depth discussing serious subjects .How about some showbiz fluff - Ed Miliband 's sincerity acts yesterday with Dale's callers were quite a performance . ..comedy at it's finest . Just a pity the content was intended to be deadly serious .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

God

..you can see that image dozens of times and it still makes one squirm .More mustard and ketchup next time perhaps ..
    Forum Member
    Cristo is a rabid right winger alright and it colours just about every topic he discusses.

I have a long memory and I remember how the "nasty party' made it illegal for schools to discuss homosexuality and censored the media. I think it's Cristo that has the short memory they are 2 issues very close to his heart.

Wrong.

Clause 28 prevented the promotion of homosexuality, not the discussion of it. Still not a very nice thing to I agree, and it certainly doesn't need any twisting for dramatic effect.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BurlyBeaR wrote: »
    Wrong.

Clause 28 prevented the promotion of homosexuality, not the discussion of it. Still not a very nice thing to I agree, and it certainly doesn't need any twisting for dramatic effect.

The difficulty that local authorities found themselves in was that any discussion in schools that dealt with homosexuality in positive terms could be viewed as promoting it so it effectively lead to a ban on it being discussed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JT2060 wrote: »
    A lot of people said [and I am certainly not one of them], that our Ken was the most corrupt leader the GLC ever had and used many of the practices Rahman used. I lived there during his tenure and can certainly see why such things might be said.

His treatment of MacIntosh was a disgrace. Mrs T saw it coming and warned of it; Micheal Foot, God love him, insisted no such plan was in existence. The day after Labour won, the coup was completed.

I've not heard this before. What exactly did Ken do that was corrupt or was it just right wing smears used to discredit him? How was Ken replacing Andrew McIntosh any worse than how Margaret Thatcher replaced Ted Heath? In both cases there was a democratic vote.
  • makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member

A lot of people, eh? How many then? And on what basis?

Isn't that just one of those throwaway meaningless phrases?

I'm sure Ken has a few skeletons in his cupboard and I'm sure he took part in the cut and thrust of politics just as much as anyone else, but I'm also sure he was smeared in the press far more than most.
  • heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    How interesting that we should be discussing non-MPs serving in Government, and Digby Jones turns up on the radio. He's never previously caused a blip on my radar so I looked him up

You must have been living the life of a hermit not to have been aware of Digby "Common Sense" Jones. I've seen and heard him talking the bloody obvious on TV and Radio hundreds of times.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    heiker wrote: »
    You must have been living the life of a hermit not to have been aware of Digby "Common Sense" Jones. I've seen and heard him talking the bloody obvious on TV and Radio hundreds of times.

'...on TV and radio hundreds of times.' ? Sounds like you're the one who should get out more. :D
    Forum Member
    makeba72 wrote: »
    A lot of people, eh? How many then? And on what basis?

Isn't that just one of those throwaway meaningless phrases?

I'm sure Ken has a few skeletons in his cupboard and I'm sure he took part in the cut and thrust of politics just as much as anyone else, but I'm also sure he was smeared in the press far more than most.

If I was you, I would look through the monetary practices of the Labour GLC under him and see what skeletons he has lurking. You appear to be an intelligent person so I do not need to lead you into researching something you feel so passionately about.

Do I?
    Forum Member
    I've not heard this before. What exactly did Ken do that was corrupt or was it just right wing smears used to discredit him? How was Ken replacing Andrew McIntosh any worse than how Margaret Thatcher replaced Ted Heath? In both cases there was a democratic vote.

I suggest you research the whole event.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suggest you research the whole event.

Your allegation had no basis whatsoever. There was no known financial corruption at the GLC when Ken was leader. The Thatcher government and the right wing Press hated him so if it were true, it would have been widely reported.

What is your research that led you to make that allegation?
    Forum Member
    Your allegation had no basis whatsoever. There was no known financial corruption at the GLC when Ken was leader. The Thatcher government and the right wing Press hated him so if it were true, it would have been widely reported.

What is your research that led you to make that allegation?

My allegation has as much validity as your refutation.

I lived in London during the Livingstone tenure. I paid the huge increase in rates to fund Ken's wonderful gerrymandering ideas for Labour boroughs. He made Shirley Porter look like an amateur.

Did you live in London through his tenure? - Where you even born?
This discussion has been closed.