Clara is staying, so are you happy ? VOTE

Comments

• Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    k9fan wrote: »
    I just don't want any more a character that seems a mixture of human / dalek / splinters.

I want an ordinary human again, not one that has allegedly helped each Doctor regeneration and that will be forever yearning for the dull as dishwater Pink character.

And what will she be in the future? A mixture of the above again?
  • garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    Red-Eye wrote: »
    I wouldn't say I "like" Danny per se but I am pretty neuteral towards him and don't quite understand the flack he's getting? Come on folks there are much worse "Who" characters than Danny, he doesn't even come close in the most hated list (with that horrid brat from "Nightmare In Silver" taking up the No.1 spot for me)! But then that's just me. :)

Also agree with the rest of your post. :)

That child was about 8, Danny pink is 30 or whatever and the whole series arc was about him.
  • Red-EyeRed-Eye Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    garbage456 wrote: »
    That child was about 8, Danny pink is 30 or whatever and the whole series arc was about him.

Is that it? Because of a Series Arc? :)

Not trying to be annoying, just want a better idea of where your issue with Danny lies?

Edit: Just to be clear I don't have an issue with that child actress, it's the writing of the character that was a problem, she was just such a hateful, self-entilted, disrespectful, spoilt little madam! It doesn't make the child endearing, it makes you want to beg the Cybermen to take her as far away as possible, maybe only then she'll finally learn some manners because no one else seemed to want to teach her that for some odd reason.
  • JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    I'm actually quite surprised that she's winning on this poll as she seems to get a lot of criticism on here. Even more criticism than the tween base who can't connect with her because she's not 'cool' like Amy :blush:

However, I adore Clara and Jenna! This past season was about discovering each other again and getting to know one another so it's no wonder the writing was inconsistent. But I do believe they've reached a neutral understanding of each other at the end of Last Christmas so hopefully S9 will be a whole lot better.

Jenna is definitely the best actress (in terms of companions) to grace the show.
    Forum Member
    JustArun wrote: »
    I'm actually quite surprised that she's winning on this poll as she seems to get a lot of criticism on here. Even more criticism than the tween base who can't connect with her because she's not 'cool' like Amy :blush:

Oh trust me EVERYTHING gets criticised on here, nothing and no one is safe! Mwahahaha! :D

Amy "cool"?! If treating people like crap, attempting to cheat behind your finacee's back and getting kidnapped all the time makes you "cool" than consider me "uncool"!

See? I'm doing the criticising now! :D
  • joe_000joe_000 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Clara and am glad she is staying for another series. It will be interesting to see how she develops further. I didn't mind Danny either. There have been too many characters is new Who who have only been around a short time so it's nice to see someone stay on longer and give the show a little more of a constant feel. I do wish they would stop all the dropping the companion off and picking up.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Very happy I even did my happy dance.

She is by far my fave companion of New Who and is in my top 3 of all time
  • Free RadicalFree Radical Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    I love Clara. Even though Amy was good, Clara is great. She works better with Twelve than Eleven.

As I've said before, I also don't get the Danny hate. He's the best Boyfriend of a companion ever, although I realise that's not saying much.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    An average actress playing a truly unlikeable character. Why on earth would anyone want her to stay?
  • Slayer2012Slayer2012 Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    An average actress playing a truly unlikeable character. Why on earth would anyone want her to stay?

That's your opinion which i don't happen to agree with. And i wanted her to stay, so i'm happy.

Slayer2012
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Must not be as 'truly' unlikable as you think. Whoops.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Slayer2012 wrote: »
    That's your opinion which i don't happen to agree with. And i wanted her to stay, so i'm happy.

Slayer2012

Was is it you like about her? Is it her pwetty little snub nose or the way she back-chats everyone who speaks to her?
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Stab in the dark here, but go with it.

They might, say, think she's a terrific actress and like the character? :p

Edit: Or is it Shot in the Dark? Same thing, I suppose. Although only one is a Peter Sellers film.
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An average actress playing a truly unlikeable character. Why on earth would anyone want her to stay?[/QUOTE]

I haven't found a reason.
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,467
    Forum Member
    saralund wrote: »
    I think I may be the only person in the universe without the surname 'Moffat' who really likes Danny Pink and enjoys his wise down-to-earthness. I don't find him boring at all. I love Clara's cheek and confidence, and find her a much more loving and likeable character than Amy. I think Jenna and PC play off each other superbly. I am deeply appreciative of not having to deal with any concept of the Doctor and companion having a romantic spark.

So either I'm being eaten by a dream crab, or I'm one Who fan in a million?

No, you're not alone. :) I liked Danny Pink and I just don't "get" all the hatred some have for him out there. I'm afraid some people think Sci Fi is a dish best served cold.

As for Jenna's acting, I think she proved her acting chops this season, after a pretty flat, wooden start in the Bells of St John and most of the rest of season 7. She had been good in Asylum of the Daleks and the Snowmen as different Clara's.

Peter Capaldi has been excellent throughout.
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,173
    Forum Member
    Yes I'm happy. I really like Clara, feel she worked well with Matt and even better with Capaldi. Plus, although her first appearance was over 2 years ago, due to the split seasons and longer break in 14 she has only actually done a season and a half.

I think one more season will be enough though - companion changes are necessary to keep things fresh and i don't want it to get to the stage where companions stay just as long as each Doctor.
  • henry_hopehenry_hope Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does Clara get one more series then?
    Thats nice.
  • Slayer2012Slayer2012 Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    Was is it you like about her? Is it her pwetty little snub nose or the way she back-chats everyone who speaks to her?

So, i can't like the actress or the character? So you're basically saying because i don't agree with you there's something wrong with me?
    Why should it matter to you if i like her or not? The fact is, i do, get over it.

Slayer2012
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't you know that you have justify yourself in triplicate to The Kapellmeister. :p
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member

What are you on about Amy went a few years ago
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Speaking of Clara Oswald, she was brave, caring, intelligent and funny from the off, really. She was kind of defined as the Impossible Girl and seen that way via the Doctor's perception, but if in hindsight you watch, say, Hide or Rings of Akhaten, I honestly can't see what people would object to about the character in these stories.

She can also be bossy, vain and a self admitted control freak, but who wants a flawless character as companion. That would be dull. That could mean a possible cypher. Thought Clara was particularly effective in Day Of....loved her little chat with Hurt's Doctor; Time Of...and now Last Christmas. The scenes with Peter C from the hug in the sleigh on were really great. The throwback to Clara helping the Eleventh to pull the cracker in TOTD, etc.

The Danny Pink relationship was messy. Often didn't show her in a good light, but things can get messy. She made mistakes. She's human. I don't like the slapping stuff and do agree that some of the characterisation has been inconsistent though.

Think Jenna's been acting her socks off and her lovely nose is just a bonus.

That goes some way to explaining why I'm *personally* pleased we get some more Capaldi and Coleman.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If there was an option in between the top two answers that would be the one I'd vote for - I'm more than okay with her staying, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it brilliant news either. Anyway, on balance I voted for the top answer... :)
  • star89star89 Posts: 23,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wish you could 'like' posts on DS :D
  • nottinghamcnottinghamc Posts: 11,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't like Clara, never really liked her. Most of my mates can't stand her, especially the women who watch it. They find her smug and obnoxious. I haven't watched the xmas special yet but I knew she was staying because of the rants they were putting on facebook about it.
    Forum Member

:D:D:D

Bit harsh about the acting aspect she wasn't that bad (GOTG is proof of how good she can be) but I do agree about how unlikeble Amy was, couldn't wait for her to go, why is she so popular I have no idea (same with Series 2 Rose really).

Anyways on topic: Clara is great and like I said before I'm glad she's staying. :)
    Speaking of Clara Oswald, she was brave, caring, intelligent and funny from the off, really. She was kind of defined as the Impossible Girl and seen that way via the Doctor's perception, but if in hindsight you watch, say, Hide or Rings of Akhaten, I honestly can't see what people would object to about the character in these stories.

She can also be bossy, vain and a self admitted control freak, but who wants a flawless character as companion. That would be dull. That could mean a possible cypher. Thought Clara was particularly effective in Day Of....loved her little chat with Hurt's Doctor; Time Of...and now Last Christmas. The scenes with Peter C from the hug in the sleigh on were really great. The throwback to Clara helping the Eleventh to pull the cracker in TOTD, etc.

The Danny Pink relationship was messy. Often didn't show her in a good light, but things can get messy. She made mistakes. She's human. I don't like the slapping stuff and do agree that some of the characterisation has been inconsistent though.

Think Jenna's been acting her socks off and her lovely nose is just a bonus.

That goes some way to explaining why I'm *personally* pleased we get some more Capaldi and Coleman.

Got nothing else to say except this sums everything up perfectly, agree with every word. :)

Especially about her flaws, really you've got to give characters their flaws it's what makes them interesting and relateble! Would anyone really want a goodie-2-shoes Mary Sue? Just don't go overboard with their flaws and make them unlikwble! (I'm looking at you Amy and Rose 2!)