Options

Rufus Hound on Celeb Juice

grantus_maxgrantus_max Posts: 2,744
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've just been listening to an interview Richard Herring had with Rufus Hound recently on his Leicester Square Theatre podcast - http://www.comedy.co.uk/podcasts/richard_herring_lst_podcast/

He went into some detail about how things went sour for him on Celebrity Juice, including a nasty falling out with Kim Woodburn. He comes over as quite a decent chap - not a huge surprise for me, but good to have your impressions of someone confirmed.

Herring's Leicester Square podcasts are generally excellent and worth working through if you have the time. They seem to keep turning up fascinating nuggets of information, such as Stephen Fry's recent suicide attempt that no-one seemed to know about until he mentioned it to Herring when they were talking on stage.

Comments

• Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Might have a listen to that. I've read a few comments from him regarding his departure and, to be honest, he did come across as a teeny bit bitter so it'll be interesting to hear some more information about it.
  • Options
    BobbyNoMatesBobbyNoMates Posts: 1,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also like Rufus Hound, have always found him funny and he comes across as a nice bloke. Think he gets some stick here for previous comments, but to be fair the default setting of DS tends to be 'A Nest Of Spite And Venom', so who can really blame him?

The podcasts are good but it's the guests who make it. Unfortunately I cannot warm to Richard Herring and he always seems to struggle to be funny.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Might have a listen to that. I've read a few comments from him regarding his departure and, to be honest, he did come across as a teeny bit bitter so it'll be interesting to hear some more information about it.

Definitely some bitterness there, but more towards the production team than than his co-presenters. I won't add any more spoilers if you're going to listen to the podcast though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The podcasts are good but it's the guests who make it. Unfortunately I cannot warm to Richard Herring and he always seems to struggle to be funny.

I know what you mean but I have warmed to him after hearing his podcasts. I feel some empathy because I'm the same age and share his angst... :(
  • Options
    ThaGazBoiThaGazBoi Posts: 15,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't he just leave mid-series? One episode he was there, the next h wasn't.
  • Options
    MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately I cannot warm to Richard Herring and he always seems to struggle to be funny.

He just wants to be on the telly. Won't someone let him on the telly?!

/injoke
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ThaGazBoi wrote: »
    Didn't he just leave mid-series? One episode he was there, the next h wasn't.

Erm... yes. There were reasons for that mid-series disappearance, hence this thread. :confused:
  • Options
    newda898newda898 Posts: 5,466
    Forum Member
    Starts at 36mins in for those wanting to find it. Interesting to listen to though.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,005
    Forum Member
    The one suggestion at the time was that Hound didn't want to be Lemon's bitch. :D

How bizarre being on a programme where almost anything goes and anything can be said, but can't say simply explain why you were sacked or quit. Guess that's showbiz.
  • Options
    SarahJamSarahJam Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always wondered about why he left. Does anyone mind posting what he said, I can't download the podcast atm.
  • Options
    BobbyNoMatesBobbyNoMates Posts: 1,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SarahJam wrote: »
    Always wondered about why he left. Does anyone mind posting what he said, I can't download the podcast atm.

What I got from it:

Essentially he didn't slag off anyone directly (apart from Kim, who even though this is an obviously biased account does not come across well from the point of view of an objective eye). He was complimentary of Keith Lemon, said he always respected him etc, but that the producers basically knew he wasn't fitting well in the CJ edit and just waited for him to get pissed off and leave instead of out rightly saying 'it's not really working is it?'

He's quite self-deprecating and seems happy with life now, so good luck to him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SarahJam wrote: »

Rufus said he really enjoyed being on the show and that he got on really well with Fearn, Holly and Lee, but the promises that were made to him by the production team about his own contribution to the show's output never seemed to make it to the final edit. He increasingly felt that there was no real reason for him to be there. The initial vision of what the show was supposed to be about changed into it jsut being the Keith Lemon show. He completely understood why that was the case, but he was still left feeling like a male appendage in a nunnery.

There were some incidents that brought things to a head, one of which was an on-set falling out between Rufus and Kim Woodburn, who had appeared as the face in the hole during the magazine round.

After Keith asked her if she had much coming up, she'd said that she didn't think the people who made telly wanted her any more. Rufus chipped in with "Don't do yourself down, people will always need a cleaner."

Kim took huge offence at that and hit back with some very personal remarks, which Rufus batted back with the finely-honed technique of a stand-up who has been dealing with hecklers for years, but all of which turned into quite a nasty exchange. At one point he described her as looking like a face drawn onto a deflated party balloon.

None of this made it to air, but the producers wanted Rufus to apologise, otherwise she was refusing to leave the building. Rufus reluctantly agreed, as long as he could have a copy of the recording just so he could be sure of what had been said, with him signing whatever they wanted so it didn't end up on YouTube etc. That was earnestly promised.

Rufus had to listen to Kim's husband making threatening noises and Kim herself taking the opportunity to try and put the boot in a bit more. The recording never turned up and when pressed, the producers turned round and said that he'd known full well that they'd never release that tape.

The upshot of which was that Rufus didn't really feel part of the 'family' any more. The production team hadn't kept their promises to him fromthe beginning.

He was noticably not happy on the show after that and nothing was done to bring him back in again. He was eventually told to take a couple of weeks off and see how he felt. That then changed from two weeks to, don't come back.

He was a bit bitter that Lee didn't step in and do anything to resolve the situation, but not to the point of falling out with him.

He makes his case pretty well on the podcast but I can't recount all the details here. Well worth listening to if you do get chance.
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I kinda get why he isnt happy. If ge is on as a comedian then give him sumat to do.

Wonder what his theatre job will be
  • Options
    pollipolli Posts: 2,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If that is a true account then it is outrageous .Surely Kim has heard worse than that thrown at her. FGS,the woman has claimed in her own book that she had a stillborn baby in secret and buried it in a local park. Why on earth would being called a cleaner offend her whenit is what she is famous for ?
    I smell BS from Rufus. I can take him or leave him,but clearly there is more to it than that.You rarely see him on telly now.Bad rep to work with ? Who knows.Wasn't there a dodgy youtube clip of him drunk ranting about DS users ? Bad boy, lol.
  • Options
    MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    polli wrote: »
    If that is a true account then it is outrageous .Surely Kim has heard worse than that thrown at her. FGS,the woman has claimed in her own book that she had a stillborn baby in secret and buried it in a local park. Why on earth would being called a cleaner offend her whenit is what she is famous for ?
    I smell BS from Rufus. I can take him or leave him,but clearly there is more to it than that.You rarely see him on telly now.Bad rep to work with ? Who knows.Wasn't there a dodgy youtube clip of him drunk ranting about DS users ? Bad boy, lol.

I don't see why it's so hard to believe that Kim Woodburn would have a higher opinion of herself than is probably deserved. She certainly gives off that impression.

And Rufus hasn't been on TV because he's been working in theatre.
  • Options
    SarahJamSarahJam Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks grantus_max. Sounds like he argued his case well there. I'm glad that he didn't fall out with Leigh, Fearne or Holly and I understand why he would have thought Leigh might step in.

I thought Kim Woodburn was a cleaner, just an 'expert' cleaner so she really shouldn't be so offended.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    polli wrote: »

Well, there should have been plenty of people in the audience who witnessed the spat first hand. It'd be interesting to hear from one of them. If only there was some kind of internet forum where they could share their experiences... :cool:
  • Options
    Blue Eyed ladyBlue Eyed lady Posts: 6,007
    Forum Member
    I'm kind of indifferent to Rufus Hound but I always got the impression he tried just a bit too hard to be funny on Celebrity Juice.
  • Options
    pollipolli Posts: 2,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm kind of indifferent to Rufus Hound but I always got the impression he tried just a bit too hard to be funny on Celebrity Juice.
    That's basically how I see him.
    His dry humour can be too dry at times and miss the mark.Clearly it did with Kimmy,lol.
    Theatre/touring would be better for him right enough because I just don't think his humour translates in a general enough way.That's not a dig at his fans, I'm sure his shows are sell outs and it would be an odd world if we all liked and *got* the same humour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think that was the problem - he was trying to get heard above Keith Lemon and even when he succeeded, it got taken out of the final edit.