Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see lilac and a golden brown.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are not really getting this are you:confused: No matter what link you are posting to me, I see the dress as black and blue.

I can't understand why you're seeing black where the gold is then. I dunno.....maybe it's colour blindness then.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Yes, that's black and blue. The other one I linked to isn't.

This.

http://swiked.tumblr.com/image/112073818575

For my eyes anyway.

That's a washed-out/overexposed photo of a black-and-blue dress. That may be why, for some, the black lace trimmings appear gold/brown and the dark blue material appears white/light violet.
  • Options
    Incognito777Incognito777 Posts: 2,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its blue and brown

If you alter the contrast and colour on your monitor it changes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    That's a washed-out/overexposed photo of a black-and-blue dress. That may be why, for some, the black lace trimmings appear gold/brown and the dark blue material appears white/light violet.

If the original dress is black and blue and the photo I linked to has been digitally altered, fair enough. The altered image, to me, definitely looks gold and what looks to be white in the shade.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    I can't understand why you're seeing black where the gold is then. I dunno.....maybe it's colour blindness then.

Don't think its anything to do with colour blindness, Its just one of those "illusion" type things where one person will see a face, another will see a horse or frog.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nessyfencer's link explains why people are seeing different colours.

"This image, though, hits some kind of perceptual boundary. That might be because of how people are wired. Human beings evolved to see in daylight, but daylight changes color. That chromatic axis varies from the pinkish red of dawn, up through the blue-white of noontime, and then back down to reddish twilight. “What’s happening here is your visual system is looking at this thing, and you’re trying to discount the chromatic bias of the daylight axis,” says Bevil Conway, a neuroscientist who studies color and vision at Wellesley College. “So people either discount the blue side, in which case they end up seeing white and gold, or discount the gold side, in which case they end up with blue and black.”"

It's fascinating!
  • Options
    HystericGlamourHystericGlamour Posts: 371
    Forum Member

I saw white and gold earlier, plain as day. I couldn't fathom how people were seeing blue, let alone black. Now all I can see is blue and black, and I can't imagine how I saw white and gold. It's a headf**k.
  • Options
    VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see white & gold. It's a monstrosity whatever its colour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its blue and brown

If you alter the contrast and colour on your monitor it changes.

Yep, that's what Adobe says.

I see white and gold.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »

"This image, though, hits some kind of perceptual boundary. That might be because of how people are wired. Human beings evolved to see in daylight, but daylight changes color. That chromatic axis varies from the pinkish red of dawn, up through the blue-white of noontime, and then back down to reddish twilight. “What’s happening here is your visual system is looking at this thing, and you’re trying to discount the chromatic bias of the daylight axis,” says Bevil Conway, a neuroscientist who studies color and vision at Wellesley College. “So people either discount the blue side, in which case they end up seeing white and gold, or discount the gold side, in which case they end up with blue and black.”"

It's fascinating!

Mm... Weird. I guess it's a question of who's seeing the right colour in the image I linked to?
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »

It's fascinating!

That reminds me of a police officer's visit at our school. He played a short video of a car driving past at night, and asked each of us to write down our descriptions of that car. Half of the class wrote that the car colour was black, and the rest thought it was dark blue.

The officer played another short video. Same car, but this time it was in daylight. The car was vivid red. He said that at night, red appears black or dark blue to most people. Heh.
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm bored of seeing that white and gold dress. It's all over bloody facebook.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    That reminds me of a police officer's visit at our school. He played a short video of a car driving past at night, and asked each of us to write down our descriptions of that car. Half of the class wrote that the car colour was black, and the rest thought it was dark blue.

The officer played another short video. Same car, but this time it was in daylight. The car was vivid red. He said that at night, red appears black or dark blue to most people. Heh.

And I suppose a lot will come down to our individual rod/cone ratio when our brains are trying to interpret colour.
  • Options
    TunnelVision9TunnelVision9 Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In every picture I've seen all I see is Blue and Black.

My twin sister however only see's White and Gold.

Cool.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well at home the dress was definitely gold and white, at work its now black and blue:D
    Clearly the screen you see it on has a big influence.
  • Options
    Incognito777Incognito777 Posts: 2,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.wired.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Untitled-12.jpg

What colour do you all see here? 3 different colours?
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

1st two are white and gold, the 3rd is blue and black.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 238
    Forum Member

First one for me is sliver/ blue and brown. 2nd mid blue and black 3rd deep blue and black
  • Options
    IsThisHappinessIsThisHappiness Posts: 7,580
    Forum Member
    The actual dress is blue and black - you can buy it online .

But, I still see Gold and White.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I couldn't understand how people were seeing it as blue and black, because all I could see was white and gold. Then I started seeing it as blue and black and have since seen it as a kind of lilac colour and black. It's made me feel like I'm losing my mind lol :D
  • Options
    girlinstaticgirlinstatic Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol it's so funny how angry some people are getting over this. Personally I think it's fascinating how the brain and eyes work. I believe the explanation that the colours are on the edge and the brain decides what colours to filter so some people see it totally different.

It's definitely a rich navy blue and black to me but this morning I did look again and I briefly saw the white and gold. Freaky!
  • Options
    Victim Of FateVictim Of Fate Posts: 5,157
    Forum Member
    As far as I can tell, the actual dress is a deep blue with black trim, but the overexposed picture is light purple-blue with a brown trim.

There is a very bright background, and some people's compensate for this by making everything look darker, so the dress becomes blue with a black trim. Some people's brains assume that the brightness of the background means that the foreground looks darker than it should be, so they make everything lighter.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Yay!

I thought I was missing out but I eventually got to see both versions.

If you look at the blue/black version carefully, you can still see the gold highlights where somebody has monkeyed around with the colour-balance.

I'm guessing somebody took the picture using a camera-phone with a very "cold" LED flash, tried to remove the blue tint in photoshop and found they could completely change the colour of the dress so they thought they'd have a bit of fun with it.

Also, all the people who're coming out with wacky suggestions for what colours are involved really need to get their monitor colour-calibration sorted.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I see three pictures of the same white and gold dress. The first in good light, the second in slight shade, and the third in even darker lighting conditions.