Excess Abdominal Storage

Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
Forum Member
And that's an original way of referencing belly fat. :D What I'd like to know though, what's best for cutting it back? I've no doubt this is one of the most common questions asked, and it's all fine and dandy to read up on a professional website, but I want to know what's going to work, not what some fitness guru is suggesting will work.

I usually run two/three times a week, generally around 6km (3.7miles), occasionally I'll push that and do a 10k (6.1miles), the latter of which I try to attempt every two or three weeks. I also cycle quite a bit, to and from work daily (excluding weekends), so that's six miles a day (there and back) in addition to a 20-30-50mile ride over the weekend.

Usually the lower end of the scale through the winter months, and the higher end over the summer. I was doing 50-55miles last summer, and I've (literally) not long got back from a 30mile ride today.

I know cardio isn't purely the key here, I'm just indicating that I am fit and healthy. I also have a sensible diet - I don't eat cakes/chocolate or biscuits unless it's to celebrate something (birthday or anniversary etc) and I try to limit myself to one takeaway a month, two at most, so I'd say my diet is somewhat sensible. I don't over eat excessive portions either.

Getting back to the original question though; excess abdominal fat. What's best to do about it? Surgery isn't practical (before anyone fires that wise idea my way).

Comments

• smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Flash525 wrote: »
    And that's an original way of referencing belly fat. :D What I'd like to know though, what's best for cutting it back? I've no doubt this is one of the most common questions asked, and it's all fine and dandy to read up on a professional website, but I want to know what's going to work, not what some fitness guru is suggesting will work.

I usually run two/three times a week, generally around 6km (3.7miles), occasionally I'll push that and do a 10k (6.1miles), the latter of which I try to attempt every two or three weeks. I also cycle quite a bit, to and from work daily (excluding weekends), so that's six miles a day (there and back) in addition to a 20-30-50mile ride over the weekend.

Usually the lower end of the scale through the winter months, and the higher end over the summer. I was doing 50-55miles last summer, and I've (literally) not long got back from a 30mile ride today.

I know cardio isn't purely the key here, I'm just indicating that I am fit and healthy. I also have a sensible diet - I don't eat cakes/chocolate or biscuits unless it's to celebrate something (birthday or anniversary etc) and I try to limit myself to one takeaway a month, two at most, so I'd say my diet is somewhat sensible. I don't over eat excessive portions either.

Getting back to the original question though; excess abdominal fat. What's best to do about it? Surgery isn't practical (before anyone fires that wise idea my way).
    If you're doing all that and not eating to excess, you shouldn't have any excess fat. If it's a sudden increase see your doctor, otherwise you are probably as fit as you need to be.
  • Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing you just carry your bit excess on the tummy then? I'm maybe lucky that way, if I put on weight it's evenly distributed 'banana' body type, and I'm a decent 5'10 - 5'11 tall for a girl... Does mean I can gain up to a stone before I notice it in my clothes though!

I run, swim and do some weights most weeks, but I toned up my stomach - which was flattish but I just wanted to tighten and define it - with sit-ups, I do a few hundred every morning, it's really defined my abs, took a good while, months... But was worth it in my opinion... Good luck!
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    If you're doing all that and not eating to excess, you shouldn't have any excess fat. If it's a sudden increase see your doctor, otherwise you are probably as fit as you need to be.
    Rae_Roo wrote: »
    I'm guessing you just carry your bit excess on the tummy then? I'm maybe lucky that way, if I put on weight it's evenly distributed 'banana' body type, and I'm a decent 5'10 - 5'11 tall for a girl... Does mean I can gain up to a stone before I notice it in my clothes though!
    I haven't put weight on, I've just decided that I want to better my body. I'm not obese by any means (at least, I don't consider myself to be) but I am overweight, and it's more than enough to notice. I have a bigger build (I guess by nature?) anyway, though I've always had this type of body (though it does vary somewhat; I used to be a fair bit bigger than I am).

Maybe, after being this way for so long, my body has deducted that it needs to be this way, and thus wont get into shape by choice. :o
    Rae_Roo wrote: »
    I run, swim and do some weights most weeks, but I toned up my stomach - which was flattish but I just wanted to tighten and define it - with sit-ups, I do a few hundred every morning, it's really defined my abs, took a good while, months... But was worth it in my opinion... Good luck!
    Kudos to you.
  • robo2robo2 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you might think you are not eating too much but you possibly are, i assume you are not putting on any weight? in that case you are eating exactly the right amount of calories to manitain your weight (which means you wont put any on but you wont lose any either), i would suggest counting your calroies and reducing your intake to about 1500 calories a day (from the recommended 2000) this is the only way to lose wieght. you should also look at changing your excercise regime because if you do the same thing over and over again your body gets used to it and it is less effective, either increase your excercise (extra miles, excercise class etc) or do something different ( a circuit class or something similar that will help you tone up your core)
  • Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    too much cardio 'can' store fat in the abs area.
    it certainly did for me, i cut right back and swapped it with resistance training and it worked wonders (though still have some way to go)
  • frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    From what you've listed exercise wise and food intake wise (any alcohol? meds?) you should surely be burning any excess off and be pretty slim. So I wonder if there is any excess fat - is it something you see but others don't IYSWIM?
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    robo2 wrote: »
    you might think you are not eating too much but you possibly are, i assume you are not putting on any weight? in that case you are eating exactly the right amount of calories to manitain your weight (which means you wont put any on but you wont lose any either), i would suggest counting your calroies and reducing your intake to about 1500 calories a day (from the recommended 2000) this is the only way to lose wieght. you should also look at changing your excercise regime because if you do the same thing over and over again your body gets used to it and it is less effective, either increase your excercise (extra miles, excercise class etc) or do something different ( a circuit class or something similar that will help you tone up your core)
    Aura101 wrote: »
    too much cardio 'can' store fat in the abs area. it certainly did for me, i cut right back and swapped it with resistance training and it worked wonders (though still have some way to go)
    I guess I'm going to have to look into what else I can do. I hate classes though, and I'm not too fond of the gym (I used to go some years back, but it became too routine and/or the equipment I wanted to use was always in use. Put me off. Calories I can further reduce myself, so I should start there I guess...
    From what you've listed exercise wise and food intake wise (any alcohol? meds?) you should surely be burning any excess off and be pretty slim. So I wonder if there is any excess fat - is it something you see but others don't IYSWIM?
    It's definitely fat that other people can see, and no alcohol (except occasions) nor medication.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    Have a look on the tube for "wheat belly" I had a huge gut, cut grain out and it went down to a normal size gut.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's either food or exercise so short of being a medical issue then it's food. Have you considered keeping a food diary, not just what you eat and drink but what time and more importantly how much of it.
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a look on the tube for "wheat belly" I had a huge gut, cut grain out and it went down to a normal size gut.

Seconded.
  • BermondseybrickBermondseybrick Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a healthy lifestyle

Do you eat a list of pasta rice etc

I'm on a fat loss diet trying to cut the belly fat it's pretty mundane and boring but I'm never hungry

Try eating. 6 small meals a day high protien low carb (try and get your carbs out the way for breakfast via porridge oats etc ) then chicken and broccoli (maybe a bit of sweet potato after a long cycle ride )

It'll fall off you and limit your calories too seems like you're in safe zone where you won't actually put anything on but you won't lose any either

You need to be in a calorie deficit most days I can send you an idea of what I eat in a day but it's been designed for my age my height my body weight and how much I train so may not be suitable for you but will give you an idea
  • Jules_ThornleyJules_Thornley Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cut bread and alcohol out except for treats you will lose weight in no time!

Hard to do though. And alternatives for bread are not great..
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    I've just completed the first week of the Reboot with Joe diet and have lost 7 cm of my gut and 3kg. Worth a look?
  • Little NellLittle Nell Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try 5:2 - eat normally for five days a week and cut down to 500 cals a day (for a woman, 600 for a man) on the other two. It's best if they're not consecutive. This will create a calorie deficit and in addition will keep your metabolism on its toes (so to speak). In my book this is infinitely preferable to watching what you eat every day.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just completed the first week of the Reboot with Joe diet and have lost 7 cm of my gut and 3kg. Worth a look?

is it sustainable ?