Pick Of The Pops - Radio 2

Comments

• Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Not quite correct Occy.

The chart of 26th February 1983 which was played today on POTP was first aired on Radio 1 on Tuesday 22nd February 1983, The next new chart when Billie Jean officially became the new No1 was aired at lunchtime on Tuesday 1st March 1983.

No1 on this date, Monday 28th February in 1983 was Kajagoogoo. ;-)
    The most recent revamp of the OCC website now shows 'Billie Jean' by Michael Jackson as the number 1 on Monday 28 February 1983 though of course your answer is indeed the correct one.

The OCC are now dating all the charts in their archive from a week commencing Sunday date rather than a week ending Saturday date. It's been done to make it easier for the database to serve up a chart when a user inputs any particular date but of course it makes the chart it serves up the incorrect one if the date in question falls between 9 February 1969 and 3 October 1987 and the date falls on either a Sunday or a Monday (and not forgetting a Tuesday if the Monday was a Bank Holiday!). Prior to 9 February 1969 the chart week ending date fell on various days of the week depending on the chart used and the year. This new week commencing Sunday dating of the charts is intended to just make the database easier to administer and to make the dating system more consistent.

Here's the chart at the OCC website for Monday 28 February 1983

http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/singles-chart/19830227/7501

Inputting any date from 27 February 1983 to 5 March 1983 serves up that chart. But then again the old archive would have delivered that chart too (albeit a top 40 only) if the user had chosen the chart for 5 March 1983 - many people may not have thought or known to look up the chart for 26 February 1983 if they wanted to see what the then current chart was for Sunday 27 or Monday 28 February 1983.
  • Options
    Ian 57Ian 57 Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    It would appear POTP uses a far less complicated system when playing a particular week. They take todays date and match it up to the nearest week ending date in the Guinness listings within a 3 day catchment. Hence, it is the official wrong week played on many an occasion.
  • Options
    spursboy68spursboy68 Posts: 4,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClareB wrote: »
    I'm going to nominate 16/12/78 as one of my fave top 5s.

Oh gosh! I could pick any week from '78 and it would be my fave. Have to get back to you on that.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    The most recent revamp of the OCC website now shows 'Billie Jean' by Michael Jackson as the number 1 on Monday 28 February 1983 though of course your answer is indeed the correct one.

The OCC are now dating all the charts in their archive from a week commencing Sunday date rather than a week ending Saturday date. It's been done to make it easier for the database to serve up a chart when a user inputs any particular date but of course it makes the chart it serves up the incorrect one if the date in question falls between 9 February 1969 and 3 October 1987 and the date falls on either a Sunday or a Monday (and not forgetting a Tuesday if the Monday was a Bank Holiday!). Prior to 9 February 1969 the chart week ending date fell on various days of the week depending on the chart used and the year. This new week commencing Sunday dating of the charts is intended to just make the database easier to administer and to make the dating system more consistent.

Here's the chart at the OCC website for Monday 28 February 1983

http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/singles-chart/19830227/7501

Inputting any date from 27 February 1983 to 5 March 1983 serves up that chart. But then again the old archive would have delivered that chart too (albeit a top 40 only) if the user had chosen the chart for 5 March 1983 - many people may not have thought or known to look up the chart for 26 February 1983 if they wanted to see what the then current chart was for Sunday 27 or Monday 28 February 1983.
    Took a first look through the changed OCC website archive lists this evening, via your link. Clearly an improvement on how it was before. So are we to assume that the decades old w/e (week ending) date of Saturday is now being officially replaced with a w/c (week commencing) date of a Sunday?
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Took a first look through the changed OCC website archive lists this evening, via your link. Clearly an improvement on how it was before. So are we to assume that the decades old w/e (week ending) date of Saturday is now being officially replaced with a w/c (week commencing) date of a Sunday?
    The OCC have said that they find it easier to administer the database by using a week commencing (Sunday) date back to the first chart in the archive. I suppose it saves them having to determine for any particular date which was the correct chart day / date and therefore which chart was the then "current" chart for that date. They have acknowledged though that the actual day a new chart was published has differed over the years.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ClareB wrote: »
    I'm going to nominate 16/12/78 as one of my fave top 5s.

What a brilliant top 40 that week, never mind top 5! ;-)

For me, I'd choose 2/11/1985, 1/7/1986 and 22/7/1989 as three of my favourite charts :)
  • Options
    Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A song Tony must like is Funboy 3's Tunnel of Love. He played it on POTP in 2012, 2014 and 2015 at least.

It felt quite a spooky coincidence that Tony played Neil Diamond's Sweet Caroline on POTP. At about 12.45 I could not stop thinking about its opening verse!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    What a brilliant top 40 that week, never mind top 5! ;-)

For me, I'd choose 2/11/1985, 1/7/1986 and 22/7/1989 as three of my favourite charts :)

A chart with that awful Sonia No1. :blush:

I thought that the 1983 chart was absolutely superb this week. It felt so much more recent in my memory that it was. Such a different sounding chart from those of just 3 or 4 years earlier, with all that synth going on. :cool:
  • Options
    merrim01merrim01 Posts: 2,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree 1983 was good this week, even if it was played last year.

The classic chart I played on a Sunday this week was from 1995 with Bruno not long before his departure:

20 - 01 - 01 - Celine Dion - THINK TWICE
    05 - 03 - 02 - MN8 - I'VE GOT A LITTLE SOMETHING FOR YOU
    04 - 06 - 03 - Alex Party - DON'T GIVE ME YOUR LIFE
    04 - 02 - 04 - Annie Lennox - NO MORE I LOVE YOU'S
    08 - 05 - 05 - N-Trance - SET YOU FREE
    05 - 07 - 06 - Perfecto Allstarz - REACH UP (PAPA'S GOT A BRAND NEW PIGBAG)
    02 - 09 - 07 - Bon Jovi - SOMEDAY I'LL BE SATURDAY NIGHT
    02 - 04 - 08 - Madonna - BEDTIME STORY
    06 - RE - 09 - Nightcrawlers - PUSH THE FEELING ON
    09 - 10 - 10 - Ini Kamoze - HERE COMES THE HOTSTEPPER
    12 - 08 - 11 - Rednex - COTTON EYE JOE
    06 - 11 - 12 - (MC Sar And) The Real McCoy - RUN AWAY
    1 - NEW - 13 - Bucketheads - THE BOMB! (THESE SOUNDS FALL INTO MY MIND)
    1 - NEW - 14 - Clock - AXEL F / KEEP PUSHIN'
    02 - 17 - 15 - PJ And Duncan - OUR RADIO ROCKS
    07 - 14 - 16 - Scarlet - INDEPENDENT LOVE SONG
    1 - NEW - 17 - Elton John - BELIEVE
    08 - 12 - 18 - Nicki French - TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE HEART
    06 - 16 - 19 - Vanessa-Mae - TOCCATA AND FUGUE
    02 - 25 - 20 - Mike And The Mechanics - OVER MY SHOULDER
    07 - 15 - 21 - Deuce - CALL IT LOVE
    02 - 13 - 22 - Elastica - WAKING UP
    1 - NEW - 23 - Judy Cheeks - TAKE TIME / RESPECT
    1 - NEW - 24 - Drizabone - REAL LOVE
    1 - NEW - 25 - Tony De Vit - BURNING UP
    1 - NEW - 26 - Rozalla - BABY
    12 - 20 - 27 - Bill Whelan Featuring Anuna And The RTE Concert Orchestra - RIVERDANCE
    02 - 23 - 28 - Stevie Wonder - FOR YOUR LOVE
    07 - 19 - 29 - R Kelly - BUMP 'N' GRIND
    02 - 28 - 30 - Moby - EVERY TIME YOU TOUCH ME
    03 - 22 - 31 - Gloria Estefan - EVERLASTING LOVE
    1 - NEW - 32 - Gene - HAUNTED BY YOU
    04 - 24 - 33 - Sting - THIS COWBOY SONG
    04 - 18 - 34 - Jimmy Nail - COWBOY DREAMS
    03 - 21 - 35 - Del Amitri - HERE AND NOW
    1 - NEW - 36 - Those 2 Girls - ALL I WANT
    05 - 30 - 37 - M People - OPEN YOUR HEART
    03 - 32 - 38 - Shampoo - DELICIOUS
    04 - 26 - 39 - Jade - EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK
    02 - 37 - 40 - Offspring - SELF ESTEEM

Probably not the most suitable chart for POTP but I quite enjoyed, lots of dance in there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought that Bucketheads single, The Bomb at the time, as well as Celine Dion's Think Twice. Quite a difference!
  • Options
    ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think the only ones from that chart I bought at the time were Mike And The Mechanics and Scarlet, though the best song in that chart is definitely Don't Give Me Your Life.

I put some 1992 charts on my phone's memory card recently and I'm currently at 30/8/92 - beginning with a recap of the previous week's top 3 - Billy Ray Cyrus, Janet Jackson and Luther Vandross and Snap!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought that Bucketheads single, The Bomb at the time, as well as Celine Dion's Think Twice. Quite a difference!

That is the best song in that hideous chart! ;-)

Alex Party is alright too. But the rest? Awful!
  • Options
    JBOJBO Posts: 6,148
    Forum Member

Cheers

My watch needed resetting
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brings back a lot of memories for me that 1995 chart, I was only 9 but I had such a great Summer that year, I remember it being a hot one too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    merrim01 wrote: »
    Brings back a lot of memories for me that 1995 chart, I was only 9 but I had such a great Summer that year, I remember it being a hot one too.
    Scorching, the best since 1976 and just about on a par with that year. Weeks of endless clear hot days in July and August, many of 32c or more. I spent the summer cycling a lot, mainly in just a pair of shorts and got a good colour. It was also the only time I've been uncouth enough to walk into a supermarket in a pair of shorts! On one of the hottest days of the summer I bought Edwin Collins, A Girl Like You which reminds me of that summer. Even early October was quite hot, but November ended up being one of the coldest of the century just weeks later!

Contrast that with this date today, 3rd March back in 1995. England covered in a quite decent snowfall late in the season. Quite a rarity in the 1990's.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember hearing Edwyn Collins that Summer when I went to stay in a caravan in Cornwall with the family, like we've said such great weather for it. 1995 is one of my favourite years without a doubt.
  • Options
    david1956david1956 Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On this date Tony will be playing the charts from 1966 and 1986.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    merrim01 wrote: »
    I remember hearing Edwyn Collins that Summer when I went to stay in a caravan in Cornwall with the family, like we've said such great weather for it. 1995 is one of my favourite years without a doubt.
    Another track that reminds me of the long hot summer of 1995 is the minor hit single that Squeeze had at the time, appropriately named This Summer.

Tony often mentions the weather on POTP so I don't suppose it matters on the thread either! Songs and good / bad weather often go together in the memory.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Other songs that remind me of that Summer:

Seal - Kiss From A Rose
    U2 - Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me (Both From The Batman Film I Think)
    Supergrass - Alright
    Pulp - Common People
  • Options
    Boz_LowdownlBoz_Lowdownl Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A chart with that awful Sonia No1. :blush:

I thought that the 1983 chart was absolutely superb this week. It felt so much more recent in my memory that it was. Such a different sounding chart from those of just 3 or 4 years earlier, with all that synth going on. :cool:

I am sure Sonia only had one Number 1. And it was not awful, it was brilliant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scorching, the best since 1976 and just about on a par with that year. Weeks of endless clear hot days in July and August, many of 32c or more. I spent the summer cycling a lot, mainly in just a pair of shorts and got a good colour. It was also the only time I've been uncouth enough to walk into a supermarket in a pair of shorts! On one of the hottest days of the summer I bought Edwin Collins, A Girl Like You which reminds me of that summer. Even early October was quite hot, but November ended up being one of the coldest of the century just weeks later!

Contrast that with this date today, 3rd March back in 1995. England covered in a quite decent snowfall late in the season. Quite a rarity in the 1990's.

You may be correct, but I don't remember 1995 being hotter than 1983 (Cruel Summer and Long Hot Summer) or 1989.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Madonna and Celine Dion both brilliant. I don't remember the (MC Sar &) The Real McCoy single, however around that time they released one of the greatest singles ever, Another Night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You may be correct, but I don't remember 1995 being hotter than 1983 (Cruel Summer and Long Hot Summer) or 1989.
    Depends where in the country you are talking from I suppose. Meteorology is another passion of mine, and I assure you that 1995 is up there with '76 and '83 as an overall summer. But you can get anomalies such as most sunshine, hottest month, driest etc which give different results within a summer of any year. The hottest July of the 20th century for example is the year you mentioned, 1983. I bet many people would reckon it was 1976 and they'd be wrong, as it is only the third warmest of the 20th century, with 1995 in second place behind '83. The year 2006 beats the lot however, but that is this century. The July in 1989 when Sonia was No1 is the 4th warmest of the 20th century. What's so brilliant about that Sonia track, You'll Never Stop Me From Loving You? I've never understood why it was such a big hit. I hate it.

Hot summers used to come in pairs - 1975 / 76, 1983 / 84, 1989 / 90 and 1994 / 95. This century broke that rule with the last two great summers being 2003 / 06. Bringing music into the discussion and an anecdote I quite like is that the summer of 1959 was a very good one but just as that summer ended a record by Jerry Keller called Here Comes Summer went to No1 in the October, right at the wrong time. More than that, it was to be another 16 years until another good summer. The swinging 1960's was a decade of poor summers throughout. The 60's sounds like it should have had a few decent ones, but the reality is different.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am sure Sonia only had one Number 1. And it was not awful, it was brilliant.

Totally agree. A real feel-good piece of pop :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another track that reminds me of the long hot summer of 1995 is the minor hit single that Squeeze had at the time, appropriately named This Summer.

I remember that song! It was quite good I recall but I'm not sure it even made the top 40. True to the 1990s, had say Celine Dion or Robson & Jerome been droning on with it, it would have had weeks at number one!