Options

Pet Insurance advice

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,433
Forum Member
Need to start thinking about pet insurance for my 11 week old kitten. Who are your pets insured with? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.:)

Comments

• Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    My Impossible Princess is insured with Argos.
  • Options
    ppaupyppaupy Posts: 2,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Impossible Princess is insured with Argos.

our choc lab and lil puss are insured with tesco.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if i was you i would open up a savings account for your cat and pay in however much the insurance company charges !
    you find when you make a claim you have to pay an excess and a percentage of the cost of the work.
  • Options
    scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    .Mimi. wrote: »
    Need to start thinking about pet insurance for my 11 week old kitten. Who are your pets insured with? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.:)

My advise is NOT to get it. Instead open a saving account for the kitten and save so much each week.

Biggest mistake my mother made getting pet insurance for her cat. She paid it every month for 18 year and still had to pay fees for when the cat was ill.
  • Options
    LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    I had that exact same thought myself - why not just open a building society account and put some money in each month, rather than paying insurance premiums.

Then my cat (only a year old) got run over twice within a couple of months, and the vet bills were over £1000. He had a couple of ops and some inpatient and outpatient care, and recovered fine. But in the time available I would only have saved about a tenth of the money required.

so you pay your money and take your chance.

My cats are insured with Pet Protect and they have always been extremely fair and efficient.

The only problem with insurance arises when cats get to the age of ten... the premiums become huge and not worthwhile (IMO).
  • Options
    maybemaybe Posts: 4,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with Lippincote that treatment charges can far exceed what you have saved if you decide not to insure. When my first dog became ill, even though I'd saved some money, it didn't even nearly cover what I had to pay.

Having had that experience, all my pets are insured and will be throughout their lives. It was too upsetting to be worried about my dog AND desperately worried about money.

I had to borrow money to treat my dog and I vowed I'd never let the situation happen again.

Anyway, I'm insured with M&S and they have been brilliant when needed. I've heard More Than are good too. The main thing is to find insurance which covers any conditions for more than a year if necessary, as well as a decent maximum claim given that surgery can be well over 1K if it's complicated.
  • Options
    doughnut8doughnut8 Posts: 2,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quick question, can you insure your pets at any time i.e will it cost more to insure an older pet?
  • Options
    maybemaybe Posts: 4,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doughnut8 wrote: »
    Quick question, can you insure your pets at any time i.e will it cost more to insure an older pet?

You can with M&S and yes, it costs more for an older one. Some insurance companies have a cut-off age of around 8 years old, I think.
  • Options
    doughnut8doughnut8 Posts: 2,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maybe wrote: »
    You can with M&S and yes, it costs more for an older one. Some insurance companies have a cut-off age of around 8 years old, I think.

Thanks for the info
  • Options
    Forum Member
    maybe wrote: »
    I It was too upsetting to be worried about my dog AND desperately worried about money.

That was exactly how I felt. My cat was very seriously ill and if I had had to worry about how much it was costing it would have been even more stressful. With insurance you can concentrate on getting the best treatment for your pet without worrying about the cost.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Check if the vets around you have their own insurance policies as they can work out better in the long run. My own vet does this and if you need treatment you deal only with the vet and don't have to pay up front for the treatment then claim your money back. Plus the policy covers for booster injections too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My vet used to claim direct from Pet Protect, so I didn't have to pay out upfront and claim it back. It depends on the vet and the insurance company involved - I think vets only want to deal direct with certain companies. I haven't made a claim for a few years, so don't know if my new vet will do this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'm with Tesco pet insurance and pay £12 p/m they will cover vets fees of up to £4000 - i've just had to ask for a claim form as my cat has just undergone surgery on his damaged leg.