Death in Paradise - Series 2

Comments

• jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought it was a bit fluffy, but the ending did catch me out and I felt sorry for the brother and sister at the end. I thought the guy who played the killer brother was nice on the eye :)

And how is Camille's mother so young looking!!!

Marvellous genetics of the darker skin in that part of the world! I have a friend who lives here who's from Trinidad. Her mum comes over to visit sometimes. They both look years younger than their actual ages! We never cease to marvel at that - in fact, when my friend confided about her 50th a couple of years ago we laughed at her because we thought she was having a joke! 40, maybe, but 50? Surely not! And before that, before we knew how old she really was, and met her mum, for the first time we were guessing her mum was about 60... her real age was a shock too - she's 80! It's all to do with now the darker skin ages more slowly (and their hair goes grey much later too) so age is often hard to guess!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    Marvellous genetics of the darker skin in that part of the world! I have a friend who lives here who's from Trinidad. Her mum comes over to visit sometimes. They both look years younger than their actual ages! We never cease to marvel at that - in fact, when my friend confided about her 50th a couple of years ago we laughed at her because we thought she was having a joke! 40, maybe, but 50? Surely not! And before that, before we knew how old she really was, and met her mum, for the first time we were guessing her mum was about 60... her real age was a shock too - she's 80! It's all to do with now the darker skin ages more slowly (and their hair goes grey much later too) so age is often hard to guess!

I knew a bloke from Barbados who celebrated his 40th birthday twice. Once when he was 40 and again when he was 57. No-one who only knew him recently had any idea of his real age, and assumed he really was 40.

Great programme last night. I could see Camille was disappointed that her date at the end wasn't her boss
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Er, I don't think any of that applies to the actress who plays Camille's mum (Elisabeth Bourgine).
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    6.9m overnight audience, big increase on last year's overnights.

K
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KennyT wrote: »

K

I'll say! In 2011 none of Death In Paradise's overnights cleared 6m,
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed it, and glad to see the Lizard with a guest spot.

Plus, Camille is stunning isn't she. Was she a model before turning to acting ?
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    I really enjoyed it, and glad to see the Lizard with a guest spot.

I don't know about that but she may have appeared on British tv before

In 2001 she appeared in an episode of a French version of Maigret, some episodes of which have been shown on BBC4.

BTW is Inspector Poole aware that the Commissioner conned him into staying on the island??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »
    Er, I don't think any of that applies to the actress who plays Camille's mum (Elisabeth Bourgine).

I never said it did, specifically? :confused: I was merely commenting on someone's question about her looking so young and explaining why, relative to someone's real age when their heritage is originally Caribbean (regardless of place of birth) they can look so young.

At no point did I say, or even hint, that the actress in question was 80 years old, I was simply giving two examples from my real life experience of friends with Caribbean heritage.

So to say that 'none' of what I said applies to the actress isn't right - she is clearly of Caribbean heritage, as are my friend and her mum, so how can 'none' of what I said apply? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So to say that 'none' of what I said applies to the actress isn't right - she is clearly of Caribbean heritage, as are my friend and her mum, so how can 'none' of what I said apply? :confused:

How do you know she is of Caribbean heritage? :confused:
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    Sara Martins is a well-known French actress and the first series was a collaboration between the BBC and one of the French channels - dunno if this one is too.

She's very French in this interview... with Ben Miller about the show...
  • radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Born in Faro portugal
  • Dawn SunDawn Sun Posts: 1,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    I don't know about that but she may have appeared on British tv before

In 2001 she appeared in an episode of a French version of Maigret, some episodes of which have been shown on BBC4.

BTW is Inspector Poole aware that the Commissioner conned him into staying on the island??

Totally! The Commissioner told him his old job was still open but only for two hours when he had known about it for some time, and Richard said that to him. Then he lied about having a mobile signal when Richard was trying to find one so he could phone. Then, once it was too late, Richard complained and the Commissioner told him he could submit a written complaint....to him, the Commissioner!! :D:D:D:D So yes, he knows he's been had!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fredcat wrote: »
    i'm not sure it was reminiscent of Sherlock Homes, i thought it was more like Poirot with the way everyone was gathered together for the reveal (tonight was the first one i've seen, do they do that every week?)

Yes, it's really quite formulaic! :D There'll be little hints dropped throughout the programme, then someone will say something that will get DI Poole's 'little grey cells' whirring away and he'll make all manner of connections before requesting a meeting with everyone at the end when all is revealed!
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just realised...

neither of the recognisable guest stars were the ones wot dunnit!

K
  • scotchscotch Posts: 10,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KennyT wrote: »

K

Fabulous rating!

So pleased, enjoyed last nights episode.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An edgier storyline than Series 1 but less edge to the series' unique selling point of the irascible, tea drinking Englishman abroad. Perhaps some of the comedy has been traded for romance we'll have to see, but how many times has the 'Will they ? Won't they ?' been done.

The plot as good as ever, solved as sharply as ever.

I have to mention...wasn't Tom Ward's appearance interesting. ;) if fans of another show know what I mean.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »
    How do you know she is of Caribbean heritage? :confused:

I don't - and it isn't the point I was making, I was simply using the example of my friend from Trinidad to consolidate the point about dark skin aging at a much slower rate than European skins. I didn't realise getting the precise country of origin correct was so important (if it was I wouldn't have referenced Trinidad to start with). It's the generalisation I was pointing out about how 'young' darker skinned people can look relative to their chronological age.

Not sure why the need to pick so many holes in what was simply offered as general information in case people were unfamiliar with it :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't - and it isn't the point I was making, I was simply using the example of my friend from Trinidad to consolidate the point about dark skin aging at a much slower rate than European skins. I didn't realise getting the precise country of origin correct was so important (if it was I wouldn't have referenced Trinidad to start with). It's the generalisation I was pointing out about how 'young' darker skinned people can look relative to their chronological age.

Not sure why the need to pick so many holes in what was simply offered as general information in case people were unfamiliar with it :confused:

Sorry, I'm not trying to cause trouble or to pick holes in your general information - I just don't understand why you say she has dark skin and how that could be the reason for her looking younger than her age. She looks white to me? Sorry if I am missing something that is obvious to you.
    http://www.screenrush.co.uk/stars/star-9995/
    http://elizabeth-bourgine.skyrock.com/1.html

I'm white and nobody ever believes my age, either - people have mistaken my partner for my father although he is a few months younger than me!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *deleted* wrong end of stick!
  • PerarduamollyPerarduamolly Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    She may be stunning but she is no actress, she was stunningly dreadful in her over-acting with the bit about the blind date at the end. It's a pity because it mars an otherwise enjoyable programme.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    I was disappointed with the episode and am surprised no one else has really criticized it. The first series was great - funny and very clever, I think I laughed out loud at least once in most episodes, and found the plots well-constructed because at the end everything suddenly made sense and you wondered why you hadn't seen it earlier.

First of all, this new episode had a few lame attempts at humour (e.g. the tapping with the stick) but nothing that made me laugh (like, for example, the "who'd kill a bride on her wedding day?" from series 1).

Secondly, the plot was awful. Well, maybe not awful, but very average, and a definite cheat in terms of crime drama - the only reason the audience didn't know who'd done it until the end was because they weren't given all the information the detectives were (we weren't shown where the tunnel led, or the family tree they found on the computer). There was no great 'aha' moment where it all clicked - instead, we were given the missing information about the tunnel and the family tree, and the solution becomes obvious. Didn't really need Poole to solve it, did it - Mr Bean would have done as good a job.

So, I enjoyed it as very light escapist entertainment, but was disappointed at the lack of strong humour and good plot that characterised the first series, and which in my mind had put it on a par with the best episodes of Jonathan Creek. Instead, I thought the new episode came across as a poor imitation of Creek or Midsummer, and it's shame the viewing figures were so high for such a weak effort, and new viewers will think that's typical (see the bad review in the telegraph for an idea of what someone new to the show thought of the episode).

I note from Wikipedia that the writer and director were different from any used in the last series - I'm hoping there are some episodes this series that use the old hands (Robert Thorogood in particular seems to have written most of S1) and that this was not a typical offering from series 2, cos I've been waiting for it for a long time.
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very strong viewing.
    COP drama Death In Paradise returned to screens with its biggest ever audience.

The BBC1 show’s second series – starring Ben Miller and Sara Martins – pulled in a record 7.1million viewers at 9pm on Tuesday.
    The show follows the adventures of DI Richard Poole, who is transferred from London to the Caribbean island of Saint-Marie

The Sun...
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whitescar wrote: »

Secondly, the plot was awful. Well, maybe not awful, but very average, and a definite cheat in terms of crime drama - the only reason the audience didn't know who'd done it until the end was because they weren't given all the information the detectives were (we weren't shown where the tunnel led, or the family tree they found on the computer). There was no great 'aha' moment where it all clicked - instead, we were given the missing information about the tunnel and the family tree, and the solution becomes obvious. Didn't really need Poole to solve it, did it - Mr Bean would have done as good a job.

I think the audience were given enough information. True, we weren't shown where the tunnel went, but we were shown that there was one. We could have at least suspected that it might have gone to the barn. And no, we didn't have the family tree, but we were told about the worker who was killed and that the girlfriend had been sending money to a disabled mother on another island. We could suspect these might prove relevant.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the audience were given enough information. True, we weren't shown where the tunnel went, but we were shown that there was one. We could have at least suspected that it might have gone to the barn. And no, we didn't have the family tree, but we were told about the worker who was killed and that the girlfriend had been sending money to a disabled mother on another island. We could suspect these might prove relevant.

The give away was the murderer who seemed a quietly spoken sort of man was making all that unnecessary racket removing stuff from the shed and throwing it on the ground. I asked myself "why?" and decided he must have been the murderer before I knew "how?"

Pool seems to be modelled a bit on Mr Bean, though I think I said that about him in the first series,
  • flashgordon1952flashgordon1952 Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    love it very much in particular Camille the actress who plays this part is beautiful and such a good actress . this is helped by her co star ben miller . the inter change between them is great.
    The problem i can see is that this show will became another series that the BBC axes because of the cuts that are likely to have to take in 2013..
    But i can see another channel takeing the series onwards..