Options

Adobe illustrator CS5 not saving files properly

Hello all,

I have recently had to do a system reinstall after my laptop had major registry problems. I have updated all drivers etc and reinstalled my CS5 suite and everything is working as normal. However, I noticed last night when I am saving one of my files (as well as exporting to jpg) the file I have saved is not accessible if I go to my documents folder and try and bring it up that way or if I am trying to attach to an email. However, if I go to illustrator there it is when I go to 'open'. If I am updating a document only the older version is accessible through my documents, but in illustrator it will bring up the new document.

Anyone had any experiences with this and can offer a solution? Last night as I was emailing drawings to clients the only way to do it was to to go 'open' in illustrator, choosing the file and copying, then opening my documents and pasting. That's quite a faff given how often I update drawings!

Hoping someone can help!

Comments

• Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you posted over in the Adobe forum? http://forums.adobe.com/index.jspa

(Un)fortunately I've never had this problem but it could be a permissions issue with the filing system, rather than an Illustrator problem. What O/S are you in?
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    i think you're just saving in a place that you are not aware of.

i don't think there is anything wrong per se. i think you just don't know where it's saving things to.
  • Options
    prgirl_cescaprgirl_cesca Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    So I tried trashing the preferences file and now it's saving everything again, hurrah! I do have to everytime I save go to user/library/pictures etc and find the place I want to save it, even though it's remembered my last destination as that doesn't seem to want to save things. That's fine though I don't mind that.

I think I may have been saving into some corner of my PC which has now gone as I have lost the latest update of a wedding invitation for a client and no amount of searching on windows is finding it :( Long night for me it is then!
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...as I have lost the latest update of a wedding invitation for a client and no amount of searching on windows is finding it :( Long night for me it is then!

And the lesson here is to BACK-UP more often... ;) All my current work files are in a Dropbox folder. Then I back-up to USB, external hard-drive and DVDs at mid and end-points of projects. Time is money and I can't afford to be having to re-do a load of design work if something falls over...