Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 63)

Comments

• Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is Mary Portas' latest series doing? I always enjoy them but I'm always surprised she comes back as she doesn't tend to do that well. I guess it's cheap telly.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    The Premier League highlights don't "have to" be shown as late as they are. ITV could have tried broadcasting them at 7pm. Oh wait...

I think the current contract means they have to be shown after 10pm. They certainly couldn't show them at 7pm these days because nine times out of ten there's a Premier League match still going on at that time. In fact it would be interesting to ponder what might have happened had the 7pm slot been a success, maybe we wouldn't have 5.30 matches now. In addition I don't think the public wants to see it any earlier, to be honest.
    Servalan wrote: »
    Crozier is really scraping the bottom of the barrel here - and pathetically trying to cover the poor decisions of his commissioning team (especially in drama). At the end of the day, it's not how much money you have - it's what you spend it on. Which is what ITV can't seem to get right.

I would agree with that. I mentioned it the other week but when people used to commend Nick Elliott, ITV's Head of Drama in their imperial phase, they used to say that he did the work of three or four people at the BBC. They had a much smaller team at ITV but they were more reactive and could create stronger relationships with talent so any shortfall in cost was more than made up for in terms of enthusiasm.

And you can look at channels like Dave who have exactly the same problems of ITV in that they rely solely on advertising revenue, and they manage to be a bit more creative.
  • Options
    kittenkong42kittenkong42 Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do we have a rating for the final episode of The Gift on BBC1?

It looks like regardless of how it's done they've already committed to a second series so I guess the BBC have some hope that it's capable of growing from a slow start...
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Markynotts wrote: »
    ITV spending £1.4 Billion (not sure if that includes their portfolio of channels)

BBC spending £1.7 billion (2013/2014) for their total number of channels (£1.023 billion for BBC One)

Not really that much in it is there for ITV to claim that the BBC are outspending everyone.

Well I always thought that BBC/ITV spent about the same on the main channels which those figures seem to agree with. Is this still correct?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    From DS

EastEnders topped the soap ratings on Tuesday evening (March 3) with Linda's ongoing struggles, overnight figures show.

The Walford drama was the most-watched programme of the day, attracting 7.35m (35.4%) at 7.30pm on BBC One as Linda broke down in front of Elaine and revealed her fears that Dean is the father of her unborn baby. BBC Three's repeat screening had 292k (2.2%) at 10.30pm.

Emmerdale continued with 6.17m (31.5%) at 7pm on ITV and 184k (0.9%) on +1 as an emotional Alicia had to tell Jacob about her sexual assault.

Holby City brought in 4.74m (22.2%) at 8pm on BBC One with Harry's life-or-death drama.

Hollyoaks interested 975k (5.2%) at 6.30pm on Channel 4 with a surprising passionate encounter for Maxine and Patrick, while E4's first look followed with 720k (3.7%) at 7pm and 133k (0.6%) on +1.

Neighbours was Channel 5's top-rated show of the day, claiming 820k (5.6%) at 5.30pm with Harold Bishop's return. The lunchtime screening had 627k (9.6%) at 1.45pm.

Home and Away grabbed 286k (4.3%) at 1.15pm and 609k (3.6%) at 6pm on Channel 5 with the continued fallout from the bus crash, while 5*'s first look secured 481k (2.6%) at 6.30pm.

Elsewhere, Doctors was seen by 1.43m (22.0%) at 1.45pm on BBC One.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Do we have a rating for the final episode of The Gift on BBC1?

It looks like regardless of how it's done they've already committed to a second series so I guess the BBC have some hope that it's capable of growing from a slow start...

The Gift was 2.67m (13.3%). Very poor. If they have decided on another series one would have to question why.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BARB have added 28 day data for week ending February 1st. Call The Midwife goes past 11m, Death In Paradise past 9m and Wolf Hall past 5m.

http://www.barb.co.uk/whats-new/weekly-top-10?
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like ITV are piloting a new science based quiz. I guess this is part of their push to get more male skewing shows.
    ITV will soon be in studio for ‘ Out of This World’ a brand new entertaining, exciting science series which sets out to answer some of the biggest questions in the world like...How do you blow things up in space? Will genetics ever bring back the dinosaurs? Why do we only find certain people attractive? Why are we not all frightened of the same thing?

Presented by two very well known comedians and two TV geniuses! You the studio audience will not only be entertained and engaged by them, but also our ‘Professor Know-It-All’ you can ask him any science question you like, daft or serious he will have the answer.

More here: http://www.applausestore.com/book-out-of-this-world
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    The Gift was 2.67m (13.3%). Very poor. If they have decided on another series one would have to question why.

I found The Gift awkward viewing. Not all of it is sentimental lovey dovey stuff like Surprise Surprise. I gave up after two episodes because I got the feeling some of the people involved seemed to be there against their better judgement. The bully episode was a strange experience-sticking two people together and then standing back to see what happened-kind of like sport. Not really a gift in that instance. Didn't work for me.
  • Options
    Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DanManF1 wrote: »
    Dire ratings last night. You'd think we were in the height of summer instead of early March.

Honestly I cannot wait for summer especially if it's a nice one, rating will tumble drastically across all channels, I don't expect anything to go over 4.8 million during summer including soaps, I'm pleased that the way we watch TV is changing but I'm also pleased that a lot of people no longer find tv relevant to their busy lives so therefore are more picky about what they watch in their free time.

By 2020 I expect five million to be the new ten million.
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    BARB have added 28 day data for week ending February 1st. Call The Midwife goes past 11m, Death In Paradise past 9m and Wolf Hall past 5m.

http://www.barb.co.uk/whats-new/weekly-top-10?

The Wolf Hall figures are the ones that really stand out to me, the first episode added another 0.79m and the second added 0.75m in the 28 day data,

Last Tango in Halifax's 28 day series average - 7.79m (up 0.37m from the 7 day average.)
  • Options
    DanManF1DanManF1 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    Honestly I cannot wait for summer especially if it's a nice one, rating will tumble drastically across all channels, I don't expect anything to go over 4.8 million during summer including soaps, I'm pleased that the way we watch TV is changing but I'm also pleased that a lot of people no longer find tv relevant to their busy lives so therefore are more picky about what they watch in their free time.

Just a hunch here, but Andy Murray playing in the second week of Wimbledon may just beat that figure...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Also shows that it's not about default audiences but programmes having a default audience. Most of the 6 million that watched Silent Witness have vanished from BBC1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wolf Hall figures are the ones that really stand out to me, the first episode added another 0.79m and the second added 0.75m in the 28 day data,

Last Tango in Halifax's 28 day series average - 7.79m (up 0.37m from the 7 day average.)

Dramas really do benefit a lot from these 28 day ratings. A result of binge watching?
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DanManF1 wrote: »
    Dire ratings last night. You'd think we were in the height of summer instead of early March.

The lineup was awful, So computers and phones won the ratings last night.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neil_N wrote: »
    The BBC may have its issues, but at least the effort is put in. ITV is just being run as a business and the low viewing figures show that. Last night was dire. People have been at work/school/college all day and want to sit down and watch something good. Wall to wall factual on the second main channel in the UK is NOT THE ANSWER. You would think this was July not early March. If ITV are going to be bad now, how low will they be in summer? Anyone seeing 100k in primetime?

BBC1 was wall to wall factual on Monday, except for half an hour of soap, the same ITV had last night, and is often all factual on Wednesdays or Thursdays as well.

Channels can't afford to run dramas and entertainment 7 days a week. They'd be bankrupt if they did.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wolf Hall has been a success both critically and ratings wise despite the fall in live viewers, I imagine they'll adapt the third book once it's released although the schedules of both Mark Rylance and Damian Lewis might be an issue.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Dramas really do benefit a lot from these 28 day ratings. A result of binge watching?

Love to see the 7 and 28 day timeshift demos. We know the overnights skew with the old and the 30% non-PVR households, so I expect the younger more upmarket viewers are the ones timeshifting. Not good for the advertisers though.
  • Options
    F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel really sad Seeing ITV struggle, their was a time when ITV was on all of the time, But I haven't watched ITV for ages, thats not a snob decision its just that they genuinely haven't put anything on that interests me. Their Daytime schedule is losing out, Their weeked daytime is no existent, breakfast is a firm second, Too many soaps in the big slots. The problem of too many soaps is made larger by them being all bunched together. 90 mins on Mon and Fri is too much.

On Saturday they haven't found a new hit for ages but to be honest that doesn't seem to be a ITV problem.

It's sad that such an institution if you can still call it that has been allowed to rot. I loved ITV, I worked for Anglia for a couple of years, if feel angry watching them flounder and lose out to BBC One so easily. I don't believe BBC One is unbeatable, BBC One has many weak tired out shows that with a little competition would start to fail. Holby could die is ITV had a big program opposite, easier said than done but I dot believe that Holby City is a healthy show is contested.

A strong ITV leads to a Stronger British TV industry. The BBC on it's own would be terrible, ITV on its own would be terrible but the two of them battling it out leads to great programs and amazing tv moments.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Channel 5 puts more effort in these days than ITV.
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    Anyone know the ratings for House of Fools?
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the Northern edition also has the football, so clearly the Southern one was the first to go to press. This is a really boring anecdote even by my standards, but I remember this evening...
    http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/bbcone/london/1998-11-24
    ...where the football wasn't billed in the Midlands Radio Times I had, just a box on both the BBC1 and C5 listings saying negotations were taking place to screen it, then when I went home I was most surprised to see it actually billed in my parents' North West edition. Clearly that one had gone to press later.

Of course famously the issue of the Radio Times for Charles and Diana's wedding features North West billings in every single issue because that was the first issue printed, and then a strike was called, so they just printed several million copies of the North West one and sold it everywhere.
    :D

Looking at the EastEnders billing in the Wales edition, I can see they've made a mistake because of having to pad it out.
    The Link is the weak link. I wonder if it was put there to dent Tipping Point?
    Doubt it. I don't think Tipping Point is something the whole BBC One afternoon is based around. The quizzes have gone at 3pm to enable the dramas to get the better slot at 2.15pm. When the dramas end, the quizzes will return to 2.15pm.

3pm tends to be a bit of a struggle for BBC One. Escape to the Country usually performs best there for BBC One, but not spectacularly, even when Titchmarsh was on ITV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    northlad wrote: »
    Good that ITV realising they need to spend more on ITV1 this year, overall though last years figures are very good,profit of 700 million not to be sniffed at,think we will see more acquisitions this year.
    £20m won't make much difference, if any, with rising production costs.

Looks as though he might resent the extra £20m too, blaming it on the BBC spending money on programmes.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I forgot to put BBC2 Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em in my planner and seems the show not on iplayer to watch anyone know why? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I forgot to put BBC2 Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em in my planner and seems the show not on iplayer to watch anyone know why? :confused:
    Rights issues. No one had any concept of an iPlayer in the 1970s, so those fees were not included in the performers' contracts.

Of course, rights can be renegotiated to enable 1970s programmes to appear on iPlayer, but it either hasn't been done in this case, or an attempt was made without success.
This discussion has been closed.