Options

Any ladies had the Mirena coil?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,759
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi, I have extremely heavy periods and about 2 weeks of PMT before it arrives, the doctor has told me since i am quite mature (38):(, and have tried the pill but it made me very ill, that the Mirena coil would be a good idea. I am hoping this will help as i am so fed up of this, but a little worried as i read it can cause acne and be painful to fit, would appreciate any first hand experineces and whether it worked for you :).

Thank you:)

Oh i have never had children and am not planning on them, if that makes any difference.

Comments

• Options
    CineastCineast Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi

I was having heavy periods and had the Mirena put in last year for that ( I'm 30 and not planning to spawn either:D). I'm not going to lie to you, mine did hurt going in but it was over pretty quickly. I had a problem with my blood pressure immediately afterwards but resting soon sorted that out:)

I had about a month of almost period pains which wasn't great, but the difference in my periods is unbelievable. I've downgraded from two purple Always at a time to one green Always:D It hasn't stopped my periods completely, which I was hoping for, but they're light and manageable now, which has made such a huge difference to my life.

My periods were making my life such a misery, I would have tried anything to sort them out. I spoke to a friend who had one put in and her experience was very different from mine so I think it's one of those things that affects people differently. All I can say is I absolutely do not regret getting it done.:)

ETA I haven't noticed any increase in spots, still get the odd one as I did before
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have had it two months now. I am 25 without children and got it for painful periods (I cant take the pill). I have gone through a lot of light bleeding but I was told that is normal during the first 3 months. At least the heavy bleeding is no longer!

I haven't noticed an increase in spots. I always get a sudden increase just before period but they do go away again.

It did hurt. I was told the pain was kinda like a contraction which makes me even more glad I am not having children. The pain doesn't last but its not a pleasent thing thats for sure.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ihave one, and after the initial settling in time I have had nothing at all, no period pains, no breast pain (which I could hardly move when they were sore, they were agony), I have been happier in myself, no pmt, but, it took a few weeks to settle down (I have had a child, so that may make a difference).

I am due to have it renewed, as I am starting to notice that my boobies are tender, this is the third week of tenderness.

As for periods, I have had none since it settled in. It is the best thing I have ever used, and I cant praise it enough.

If I were you I would give it a try, you can always have it removed if it is not for you. (I do hope it is, as its made a positive input to my quality of life).

Acne, no difference, I hardly got spots before, and hardly get them now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Hi

I've had mine in for 3 years now and haven't looked back! I too had mine put in due to very bad periods. I was in my late twenties with no kids when I had it put in. I'm not going to say it wasn't painful because it was. I had around 6 hours of really bad cramps afterwards but no further problems. I get occasional spot bleeding but no period as such. Would (and have) recommend.
  • Options
    smartpicturesmartpicture Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had one for years and it's brilliant. After the first 6 months, I never had another period again, which is fantastic - and has probably saved me loads of money! I would say it's slightly more uncomfortable than having a normal coil fitted, but over quickly. It's well worth it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for your replies, i have looked on the internet but always find it better to ask about peoploes real experiences. I am going to go for it, anything has to be better than what i have now, thanks again :).
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Hi, I have extremely heavy periods and about 2 weeks of PMT before it arrives, the doctor has told me since i am quite mature (38):(, and have tried the pill but it made me very ill, that the Mirena coil would be a good idea. I am hoping this will help as i am so fed up of this, but a little worried as i read it can cause acne and be painful to fit, would appreciate any first hand experineces and whether it worked for you :).

Thank you:)

Oh i have never had children and am not planning on them, if that makes any difference.
    i had a mirena fitted when i was 37, my periods were extremely light afterwards for about 8-10 years and i`ve had no problems at all with it, don`t know it`s there.
    (apart from the change in my periods).
  • Options
    StudmuffinStudmuffin Posts: 4,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had one for just over 4 years. While my periods haven't stopped (they were very heavy before and have been very very light on this IUD. I'm going to have a new one in December and have heard a lot of horror stories about having it fitted (mine was done under a general as I was having a D+C t the time) so I'm not looking forward to that. Apart from that I'd heartily recommend it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had it fitted last October because I wanted to come off the pill, my periods were fine but I was hopeing they would stop altogether on the coil (they did on the mini pill andit's the same hormone used). It does feel uncomfortable going in but it is over quickly. Periods are becoming even shorter ad I have had no problems so far.
  • Options
    mrsparadoxmrsparadox Posts: 1,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm on my second mirena coil now, although it is a bit uncomfortable going in, it's very much worth it. There was no hesitation from me when offered the mirena coil again after having my daughter.
    The first one gave me pain for 2 weeks in my hip, on the scale of bad period pain and for a year or so every month, I would get this pain when I should have been due on, but it was dulled by paracetemol and a small sacrifice. I was period free for 4 years!
    The second coil fitting was slightly more uncomfortable and felt faint for a few minutes afterwards. I had light bleeding for a few months, which was a bit of a nuisance but it was mostly pain free. I've had it 20 months now and only have the occasional light bleed now. My second experience may have been different due to me only giving birth a few months before and a lot of heavy bleeding afterwards??

All in all, no complaints, and I would highly recommend any suffering woman having one. I would say the fitting is about as uncomfortable as having a smear test done.
  • Options
    Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    I was thinking about getting one for my heavy periods however, the horror stories about having it put in (just thinking about having a smear makes me want to cross my legs as they have always been horrible) and the fact that it releases hormones (me and the pill do not get on at all for this reason) really put me off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had one fitted a few years ago, and after around 10 months of no bleeding, no pmt, absolutely nothing "monthly" at all, I took a massive flood of a bleed. It just wouldnt stop, and I called my OH. He heard what he thought was me weeing, but it was the blood flowing. He took me straight to hospital, and they confirmed a miscarriage. Gave me a leaflet and sent me home. Two weeks later, it happened again, just as fast and furious, and I went into hospital again, complaining that they must've been wrong with the "miscarriage" theory last time. They scanned me, and told me that I was losing the second twin!! There was remnamnts left behind of the first miscarriage, so they were able to confirm it had been twins. I complained bitterly that if I'd been checked the first time maybe the second baby could've been saved, but all I got was a leaflet!!!

Anyway, they removed the coil, gave me a D & C and sent me home again, and I've not trusted the coil since.

It is supposed to be one of the safest contreceptives on the market, I guess I was really unlucky, but you asked for experiences, so you got mine. Suppose it's a reminder that NOTHING is 100%... :(
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's any help Queentracy, they probably couldn't have saved the second twin. There's really nothing they can do to stop a miscarriage - I'd imagine that even trying to remove the coil would have brought on the second mis anyway. Sorry you had that experience, it sounds awful. (((((hugs)))))
  • Options
    BluebelleBluebelle Posts: 1,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had the mirena coil for nearly 2 years and it's been fantastic. Hardly ever have a period now and when I do it's just a light bleed and no cramps.

I had heard it could be very painful having it fitted and I mentioned I was worried about this to the Doctor just before she fitted it and she offered me an injection to numb my cervix. Needless to say I accepted this and didn't feel a thing! :)