Only just seen the 1996 Movie!!!

Comments

• AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why doesn't this film get shown on television?

It just occurred to me that the only time I watched it was when it was first broadcast. But I don't recall it ever being shown again, not just on terrestrial television, but on channels such as Film 4.

I notice that the Peter Cushing Doctor Who films get repeated now and again, but why doesn't the Paul McGann 1996 film get shown on television?
  • Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It just occurred to me that the only time I watched it was when it was first broadcast. But I don't recall it ever being shown again, not just on terrestrial television, but on channels such as Film 4.

I notice that the Peter Cushing Doctor Who films get repeated now and again, but why doesn't the Paul McGann 1996 film get shown on television?

I first watched it on gold a few years ago
  • emma_marieemma_marie Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    What about bringing the two back to life? did he use up a life? or was it more of a healing type regeneration light? if it was, when 11 goes, he will be on his last life :(
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emma_marie wrote: »
    What about bringing the two back to life? did he use up a life? or was it more of a healing type regeneration light? if it was, when 11 goes, he will be on his last life :(

IIRC (been a while since I saw it) it's the TARDIS who brings them back.
  • Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emma_marie wrote: »

Technically he would have not regenerated into 11 because 10 did use up a regeneration in journey 's end if I remember
  • emma_marieemma_marie Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    IIRC (been a while since I saw it) it's the TARDIS who brings them back.

Was it :o feel stupid now
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Lii wrote: »
    Simple, in new Who the writers have gone to great lengths to make it clear that "the Doctor lies". That was the reason :(

Wasn't it the Master who revealed he was half-human?
    Forum Member
    It's a guilty pleasure for me. It's so bad in so many ways but I like it anyway. :D
  • C. SamuraiC. Samurai Posts: 362
    Forum Member

Only by looking at a hologram of The Doctor's eye

The books retconned it as the TARDIS playing mind games with him.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best film is the one with Peter Cushing and the cast of gay golden hairdressers. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the eye of harmony gets a mention or some such in the tardis based episode later this run so that might clear up the half human thing... But I did enjoy the movie when it aired and again when I watched on TiVo the other day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    McGann is my Doctor (what, really???). I'd watched repeats of older Doctors and caught the end of McCoy's tenure, but the first time I watched a regeneration during the first time it was shown was the TVM. The story isn't great by any means, but he is brilliant in the role. Maybe, just maybe, they'll bring him back and give him the screen time he deserves. But in the meantime, the audios and novels are fantastic.
    Forum Member
    C. Samurai wrote: »
    Only by looking at a hologram of The Doctor's eye

The books retconned it as the TARDIS playing mind games with him.

I like that theory. :)
    McGann is my Doctor (what, really???). I'd watched repeats of older Doctors and caught the end of McCoy's tenure, but the first time I watched a regeneration during the first time it was shown was the TVM. The story isn't great by any means, but he is brilliant in the role. Maybe, just maybe, they'll bring him back and give him the screen time he deserves. But in the meantime, the audios and novels are fantastic.

The thing with McGann is that we never saw him regenerate into Ecclestone so he could come back any time, without needing to get around the age thing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    Better than starting with the 4th Doctor as some involved wanted to IIRC. ;)

Even McCoy admits either a) he should haven't been in it at all, or b) been the main Doctor, and get killed off at the end as a big shock finale.

But he was offered a great paycheck, and wanted the fans to have a regeneration scene, given what had happened previously.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's well worth tracking down the Revisitations version of this on DVD - there's an excellent documentary on the sheer bonkersness that ruled the production process during filming.

And Matthew Jacobs comes across as lovably eccentric uncle, somewhat amusingly confused by the contradictory notes from the US and UK producers...

Also, if you can, track down a copy of Regeneration, by Phillip Segal and Gary Russell. It's a warts 'n' all look at what went wrong.
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sora2311 wrote: »
    Technically he would have not regenerated into 11 because 10 did use up a regeneration in journey 's end if I remember

So if Paul's Doctor used one of his regenerations to bring Grace and Chang Lee back to life, and used up a regeneration at the beginning of Journey's End, then No. Matt Smith's Doctor shouldn't be here at all. Tennant's Doctor, technically would have been the last.

They love twisting things, to make shows last longer, don't they? Maybe in RTD's and SM's minds, the Doctor has got a limitless number of regenerations.

I'd love to think so, so that the programme could still be around in twenty years time. :) Somehow, I think the Doctor will be in his thirteenth and final body before 2020, so the programme will be going not long after then. :(

So If Matt leaves in 2014, the Doctor wil be in his twelfth body. Then, if that actor goes in 2018, then he will be in his last body. If all goes the same as it is now, by 2022 at the latest, Doctor Who will be no more. :( So far as the TV series is concerned, anyway.
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have got a vague recollection of him saying that, yes. I'd have to put on my SE DVD of this, to confirm that for sure.
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    So if Paul's Doctor used one of his regenerations to bring Grace and Chang Lee back to life, and used up a regeneration at the beginning of Journey's End, then No. Matt Smith's Doctor shouldn't be here at all. Tennant's Doctor, technically would have been the last.

They love twisting things, to make shows last longer, don't they? Maybe in RTD's and SM's minds, the Doctor has got a limitless number of regenerations.

I'd love to think so, so that the programme could still be around in twenty years time. :) Somehow, I think the Doctor will be in his thirteenth and final body before 2020, so the programme will be going not long after then. :(

So If Matt leaves in 2014, the Doctor wil be in his twelfth body. Then, if that actor goes in 2018, then he will be in his last body. If all goes the same as it is now, by 2022 at the latest, Doctor Who will be no more. :( So far as the TV series is concerned, anyway.

Yep. Imagine this scenario in 2020:

"Doctor Who ratings for the 2020 season through the roof, merchandise sales better than ever, fan appreciation at an all time high and the recent cross over with Red Dwarf leads to the all around greatest episodes yet in Who history.
    Things look great for the Who franchise...but oh? What's THIS? Our lead actor wants to leave, well fair enough, lets begin the audition process again....
    ....Hmmm, what's that? Oh right, because of a single line written in 1979 or whatever it was, to create tension for ONE episode, the entire future of Doctor Who has to stop now.
    No more Doctors, no more episodes, no more anything...just because of one line?
    Can't we just write a 10 second line of dialogue explaining the Doctor doesn't have a regeneration limit any more, or that he absorbed all the other regenerations from the time lords as they died in the time war?
    No? It's absolute? Fine then, CANCEL the series, it's all over!
    Curse you 70s writer for your short-sighted-ness!"

Hmmm, somehow, I think not ;)
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure why I'm putting this in a spoiler but, just in case, what seemed to happen was ...
    The Master was sucked into the Eye of Harmony.

Regeneration energy streamed out and revived the two dead casualties.

So, if anything, it was The Master's energy that was used.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Doctor states that the tardis is sentimental.... implying that it revived them.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Copies of Regeneration - Amazon less than £9.00 Ebay - less than £12 well worth buying. A few years ago I saw one on Ebay and the seller wanted over £100 !!!!
    As to the movie I enjoyed it. Yes it was a bit too Americanized but Paul McGann was terrific as the Doctor. When I heard that the BBC was bring it back I really hoped that PM would be returning. The half human bit can easily be explained away by assuming that the 8th's Doctors body/regeneration was still in a state of flux and his DNA, molecules, enzimes etc were still finding their feet (so to speak) and that for a brief moment he was indeed half human and that in his still befuddled state he thought that his mother had been human. The Tardis both inside and outside looked terrific and its a shame that they didn't carry it over into the new series, though as we have seen, the interior seems to be able to change at will, either the Doctors of the Tardis's. In closing I would have loved to have seen more adventures with the 8th Docotr and Grace but alas ----
  • sovietusernamesovietusername Posts: 1,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I LOVE the Movie. Always really enjoy watching it and P McGanns a brilliant Doctor. Be such a shame if he never returns
  • thatjonesboythatjonesboy Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    Lii wrote: »
    Of course once you get past the half human thing you'll find yourself wondering why the blazes he was taking the Master to the Daleks at the start. Although the idea of a Dalek trial sounds like fun.

Case for the prosecution: Exterminate!
    Case for the defence: Exterminate!
    The jury: Exterminate, exterminate, EX-TER-MIN-ATE!

He wasn't taking him to the daleks they had executed him, he was taking him home to Galifrey
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member

I bet we will get it broadcasted in august as a special since each doctor has been featured up to this point.

Also I think I read on here the eye of harmony will be featured in journey to the center of the tardis that'll be fun if it's true! Maybe he can joke about when he thought he was half human
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    Even if that were the case, and two regenerations were 'used up' that would only mean that Matt's Doctor was the thirteenth body. The original explanation is that the Doctor can regenerate twelve times, giving him thirteen bodies - so Matt would be the last.

Still, the revival of the characters is ambiguous - the given explanation is that the TARDIS skipped back in time to before the characters died, but how that explains the energy or why it happens inside TARDIS space rather than in real time (nothing appears to be 'rewound' apart from the deaths) is anyone's guess. Either way, it appears to be some magic of the Eye, rather than a Time Lord regeneration.