Sorry, why was Evander's opinion offensive?!

Comments

• Phil O'SopherPhil O'Sopher Posts: 1,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shades1 wrote: »
    well said OP !!

but sadly this forum loves all this PC drama and we are gonna have pages and pages of all this BS now .
    I'm in favour of Polite Courtesy, and it's not Bovine Stool. ;):)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 433
    Forum Member
    HonestLee wrote: »
    No-one has the right to NOT be offended

Actually, I think there are UK laws which have been made to prevent people from being offended.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But regardless to 'my' opinion I still feel Evander has the right to his opinion too and shouldn't be chastised for his own belief just to avoid hurting others (jeez I'm sure Gays have had a tad worse)

No-one has the right to NOT be offended

No one has the right to break the rules of a gameshow they are being paid to appear on. If there was a rule saying that he must not use the word 'terrapin' or that he must wear a pink pinafore, he would be at liberty to keep the rule, or break it and face the consequences.

personally I like the rule that people may not use offensive racist or homophobic language. We are by and large a secular and liberal society, thank goodness, and people should not consider that they have a fundamental human right to offend minority groups.
  • Teddybear99Teddybear99 Posts: 6,077
    Forum Member
    staffsuk wrote: »
    Supposing someone turned to a fellow housemate and expressed all of those thoughts - comparing gay people to being handicapped - a choice - wrong and something that should be 'fixed' etc - but about black people instead? What do you think the outcome of that conversation would have been?

So please explain why it is any more acceptable to say those things about gay people?

As a gay man I found it incredibly offensive and a clear reflection of just how far we haven't progressed.

My sexuality was NOT a choice - just as his skin colour wasn't. If I had the choice when I was growing up as a child in a deeply homophobic society - don't you think I would have made the choice not to be gay?

I also found it very offensive. I am incredibly disheartened by the number of people on this thread who seem to think that he made acceptable comments. Free speech is one thing, but with free speech comes the responsibility of not being hateful to others, and his comments were hateful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    I think he is ignorant
  • HonestLeeHonestLee Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People who get offended about Gay or race Jibes generally have no Gay or Black friends

They THINK people will be offended

Meanwhile me, my Gay and Brown mates laugh it off as it should be laughed off, mere petty and ill-informed and nothing worth responding to

Life's too short
  • snarieksnariek Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't have thought any Christian would mind you saying that the Bible was a work of fiction. A faith has to be worth fighting for. I assume that you would not say that Christians need to go to a doctor and get 'fixed' via a long and painful process of extreme mental pressure.

No I wouldn't but if I did I would fully understand a Christian finding that offensive, the same way I fully understand a gay person being offended by what Evander said. That was my whole point, I wasn't sticking up for him.
    Forum Member
    People who get offended about Gay or race Jibes generally have no Gay or Black friends

They THINK people will be offended

Meanwhile me, my Gay and Brown mates laugh it off as it should be laughed off, mere petty and ill-informed and nothing worth responding to

Life's too short

Yet you share Lionel Blair's offence at what a drunken young woman said? I find your post very insulting, I have gay family members and friends who were adults before 1967. Having seen how they have been treated over the years, how they have fought to be heard and recognised - yes of course I am offended when I hear remarks that sound like they come from decades ago not 2014.
  • HonestLeeHonestLee Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yet you share Lionel Blair's offence at what a drunken young woman said? I find your post very insulting, I have gay family members and friends who were adults before 1967. Having seen how they have been treated over the years, how they have fought to be heard and recognised - yes of course I am offended when I hear remarks that sound like they come from decades ago not 2014.

Sorry you've taken me wrong

OF COURSE the treatment of Gay or out of wedlock birth during the 60s was ABHORRENT why would you think I wouldn't think so?

I'm simply stating that Gay people have far more of a backbone than the world gives them credit and there is a huge culture of 'do-goods' who don't know Gay people and think they know what Gay people think that;s all

I"M ON YOUR SIDE! lol

love to you TeddyBear
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you read back these posts, you'll be able to highlight many possibly 'offensive' messages towards religion. Yet you don't see religious people complaining... do you?

Everyone will never share the same views, but we should try to tolerate each other in this world and live in harmony. Free speech should be allowed.
  • Zohra_MunshiZohra_Munshi Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry... but I don't think he said anything offensive. He just shared HIS opinion, which he should be allowed to have.

It's okay if gay people are allowed to fight for their beliefs, but not okay for someone who is religious and believes in God to share theirs?! What kind of world are we living in here?! I'm not saying his views are right or wrong BUTTTT he's allowed to have them as long as he expresses them in a civilized and respectful manner.

Completely ridiculous. It's basically double standards.

People shouldn't discriminate. That is all. Other than that, each individual is entitled to their own opinion - take the Digital Spy forum rules for example.

Thank you! Exactly what I've been thinking, best thing I've seen so far about the whole thing!
  • smokencheesesmokencheese Posts: 2,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you! Exactly what I've been thinking, best thing I've seen so far about the whole thing!

The eye-roll emoticon was invented for this post.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anti-gay opinion is horrid and shouldn't be allowed. It's offensive.

Anti-religion opinion is offensive but is fine and dandy.

I love DS logic. :D
  • DixDix Posts: 78,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flower Pot wrote: »
    why? being handicapped/disabled/whatever is not some obscene evil that makes it offensive to be likened to. posts like this are just as ignorant, ill thought out and disgusting to hear as evanders views. disabilities are variations in genetics just as homosexuality, that much was right in what evander was saying, so his comparison was logical but what was offensive was him saying they needed to be fixed, just as many disabled people may find that view offensive when applied to their disability.
    I was born with a disability which can't be fixed, as it's what I am, and didn't like what Evander said
    Forum Member
    Sorry you've taken me wrong

OF COURSE the treatment of Gay or out of wedlock birth during the 60s was ABHORRENT why would you think I wouldn't think so?

I'm simply stating that Gay people have far more of a backbone than the world gives them credit and there is a huge culture of 'do-goods' who don't know Gay people and think they know what Gay people think that;s all

I"M ON YOUR SIDE! lol

love to you TeddyBear

Peace. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course, muslims and other religious groups are going to agree with Evander, as homosexuality is forbidden.

Luckily most of this country are a tad more enlightened.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    Anti-gay opinion is horrid and shouldn't be allowed. It's offensive.

Anti-religion opinion is offensive but is fine and dandy.

I love DS logic. :D

Who said anti-religion opinion is fine and dandy?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snariek wrote: »
    Who said anti-religion opinion is fine and dandy?

The people blasting Evander's opinions are openly slamming him and other people who hold the same faith/beliefs as him.

Him holding strong negative opinions about homosexuals is wrong but somehow their strong negative opinions on religion is fine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The people blasting Evander's opinions are openly slamming him and other people who hold the same faith/beliefs as him.

Him holding strong negative opinions about homosexuals is wrong but somehow their strong negative opinions on religion is fine.

As I have said, Gay people are real things that don't spread hatred..religion is a fairytale that does do this.

So don't be surprised when people are against it.
  • Flower PotFlower Pot Posts: 16,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i love irony :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So someone can't respect his religion but disagree with his opinion that gays can be "fixed"?
  • Flower PotFlower Pot Posts: 16,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also found it very offensive. I am incredibly disheartened by the number of people on this thread who seem to think that he made acceptable comments. Free speech is one thing, but with free speech comes the responsibility of not being hateful to others, and his comments were hateful.
    his comments werent hateful*, they were ignorant and besides the odd troll that seems to have popped up o.O, youd be hard-pushed to find anyone who agrees with his views. from what ive read, people think bb was wrong to give a warning not because they agree with his views but because they would have preferred to see how the conversation would have flowed between luiza & evander if theyd been allowed to speak freely. ignorance can only be cured with education and hes not going to get that if debate is stifled with political correctness

*he was perfectly calm & showed no hate or prejudice imo
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I have said, Gay people are real things that don't spread hatred..religion is a fairytale that does do this.

So don't be surprised when people are against it.

So you want him to respect your opinions/beliefs and life whilst you disrespect his?

As I said earlier, loving the logic. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you want him to respect your opinions/beliefs and life whilst you disrespect his?

As I said earlier, loving the logic. :D

I really don't think you get it, do you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snariek wrote: »
    So someone can't respect his religion but disagree with his opinion that gays can be "fixed"?

I may not have worded it clearly but I'm talking about the people slamming his opinion about homosexuality whilst disrespecting his religion and life.